West Vancouver Eviction Secondary Suite Problem!

R. LaCasse

Mar 26, 2010, 7:07:06 PM3/26/10

What's with all these laws and legal fanatics in the 1st place....

I have lived in a commercial building's basement suite for over 15
years,...no problem with all the managers that came and went...

Some newbie outfit called the lookout society, is now managing the 20 room
building, and are trying to evict me because of a ceiling height infraction,
there have been numerous inspectors in my basement suite, and there was no
real problem and the fire martial, saw it fit with hardwired mains alarm
connections and all that other stuff.

The Lookout or Vandu Society is run by machines who simply want to gut the
basement and leave them empty, to BC Housing SRO/Jail the tenants...
I have no intention of leaving till they give me a valid reason and some
common sense agreement....other than "we need the space", which they
absolutely don't, and don't intend to use.

My basement suite is registered as a storage room, because literal laws and
definitions, and not a SOHO, although I may utilize it as such at times....
The Lookouts photographed my "Storage room" to try to prove that I had
worked there, thus violating the TERM "Storage Room"....they really like
Gordon Campbell's style!

These ppl thrive on homeless people, and were very instrumental in
destroying the Gomez Building, even though it had shit for tenants. BC
housing and lookout/outreach projects are the enforcers of the GVRD-HEU/BC
housing by-laws based on 1910 and earlier written laws, that were not
enforced even then, what the duly lack, is a common sense approach, were
tenants can exist without their constant harassment and eviction threats!

So far they have managed to bankrupt the city with unpaid
loans....(see national debt).....

This is supposed to be a perk?

<<<<<<<<<----------------------------------------------------->>>>>>>>

The West Vancouver Legal Secondary Suite Requirements

The West Van homeowners or landlords will be only able to rent out a
single suite per lot and must be less than nine hundred and sixty eight
square feet (968 sq ft) and cannot take up more than thirty per cent (30%)
of the total West Vancouver property lot area. In addition to these suite
size requirements by the City of West Vancouver bylaws, the legal
secondary/basement suites much actually be a separate living space that is
private for the resident in addition to having a separate washroom, separate
cooking area (can be full kitchen or kitchenette) as well as a separate
entrance. The legalized West Van secondary basement suite must also have its
own entry way in addition to one off-street parking spot reserved for the
renter.
The current illegal basement suites operating in West Vancouver
rental market will be asked to apply for the appropriate permits that are
part of the new requirement for secondary suites in addition to making sure
that their rental units meet all safety standards as indicated by this new
housing bylaw. Some councilors are unsure about the legalization of the
secondary suites in West Vancouver rental market as the new influx in
population and people migrating into the city will actually not be
contributing in the way of property taxes, but will be exhausting some of
the conveniences, parks, schools, and other city amenities during their time
renting in the city.

However, other councilors indicate that the increase population
caused by the legalization of the West Van secondary suites is on par with
an increase in electricity, power and water, that the current homeowners and
new renters will be paying. In addition, the value of the West Van homes
with secondary suites or basement units for rent is typically higher than
those that don't have this secondary source of income, which obviously
results in higher property taxes to the current home owners. There have been
two public studies done in West Vancouver regarding the legalization of
secondary suites in the city, and both polls have been overly positive in
favor of the legal basement suite bylaw change.

Approximately or seventy five per cent of people interviewed
actually agreed with the housing bylaw change for legal West van secondary
suites during both pools. The City of West Vancouver has also pointed out
that in the Lower Mainland area, only Pitt Meadows, Bowen Island, Langley
and West Van do not permit any sort of legal secondary suites at this time.
The proposed housing bylaw is going to council October 26, 2009 and if it is
a go, it can be passed by the end of the year.

Nothing much happened on that decision, or does anybody have a cite
to state otherwise.......or did that go like hidden cigarette law in stores!

Don't get caught in your basement workshop, or you'll get fined and
over metered......

Bob
--
Triad Productions-Fantalla~EZine~ParaNovel
National Association of Assault Research