Happy 90th, Roger Corman!

leno...@yahoo.com

Apr 5, 2016, 3:01:59 PM4/5/16
Question: Which movie would you put next to his name, for those who don't know him? (I would guess "Little Shop of Horrors."

Some years ago, I saw "The Intruder" with William Shatner - it's not that memorable. Otherwise, I love Corman.

https://www.google.com/#q=roger+corman+
(general information)

https://www.google.com/#q=roger+corman+90th
(birthday tributes)

A couple more, from Google News:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/roger-corman-talks-about-modern-technology-and-the-fema-1768989265

http://www.wearemoviegeeks.com/2016/04/happy-90th-birthday-to-roger-corman-here-are-his-ten-best-films/

Lenona.

Blackwingbear

Apr 5, 2016, 3:59:06 PM4/5/16
On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 3:01:59 PM UTC-4, leno...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Question: Which movie would you put next to his name, for those who don't know >him?

I'd just smack them really hard. Really, really hard. REALLY,
really, really hard.

Lesmond

Apr 7, 2016, 3:49:17 PM4/7/16
If someone didn't know who Roger Corman was, why you bother trying to
explain?

--
Queen of the fucking universe.

leno...@yahoo.com

Apr 8, 2016, 10:05:21 AM4/8/16
On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 3:49:17 PM UTC-4, Lesmond wrote:

> If someone didn't know who Roger Corman was, why you bother trying to
> explain?

Quite simply:

Because young people will always exist?

Including young people who don't grasp that accomplishments made before they were born are just as important - often more so - than things that happened after they became old enough to start following the news?

BTW, here's something I posted about Bill Maher in 2008:

He groused in his 2003 book "When You Ride Alone You Ride With Bin Laden" that young adults often say things like "why should I know about (some major event in world history), I wasn't even alive then!" He added that when chatting even with very bright adults in their 20s, they'll often reveal an ignorance of one sort or another that make him want to shout "I can't believe they let you out of school not knowing that!"

Which, of course, immediately made me think, "oh, so that's why you only date women that age."

On a more optimistic note, I was showing the 1960 documentary "When Comedy Was King" (mostly about silent comics) to my nieces, and the younger one (age 7 at the time) was absolutely wide-eyed and asked: "Are there MORE movies like that?!"

Lenona.

Lesmond

Apr 8, 2016, 1:10:11 PM4/8/16
On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 07:05:19 -0700 (PDT), leno...@yahoo.com wrote:

>On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 3:49:17 PM UTC-4, Lesmond wrote:
>

>> If someone didn't know who Roger Corman was, why you bother trying to
>> explain?
>

>Quite simply:
>
>Because young people will always exist?

And I thought of that right away. Naming his films certainly won't help. My
son is 15. If I told him it was Roger Corman's birthday, he would say, "OK"
I'd say, "He's a famous movie director and producer." He'd say, "Cool."
Conversation over.

>Including young people who don't grasp that accomplishments made before they were born are just as important - often more so - than things that happened after they became old enough to start following the news?

So how can naming a movie they have never seen tell them who he was?

>BTW, here's something I posted about Bill Maher in 2008:
>
>He groused in his 2003 book "When You Ride Alone You Ride With Bin Laden" that young adults often say things like "why should I know about (some major event in world history), I wasn't even alive then!" He added that when chatting even with very bright adults in their 20s, they'll often reveal an ignorance of one sort or another that make him want to shout "I can't believe they let you out of school not knowing that!"
>
>Which, of course, immediately made me think, "oh, so that's why you only date women that age."

Ha!

>On a more optimistic note, I was showing the 1960 documentary "When Comedy Was King" (mostly about silent comics) to my nieces, and the younger one (age 7 at the time) was absolutely wide-eyed and asked: "Are there MORE movies like that?!"

Awesome. Really. My kid was addicted to old Tom and Jerry and Pink Panther
when he was a itty one.
And Blue's Clues. We didn't entirely relegate him to the past.

leno...@yahoo.com

Apr 8, 2016, 1:28:02 PM4/8/16
On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 1:10:11 PM UTC-4, Lesmond wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 07:05:19 -0700 (PDT), lenona wrote:

> >Including young people who don't grasp that accomplishments made before they were born are just as important - often more so - than things that happened after they became old enough to start following the news?
>
> So how can naming a movie they have never seen tell them who he was?

If they've seen or heard of the more recent, musical version of "Little Shop of Horrors" but are not aware of the original movie, putting that title next to his name, with the date, might at least make them ask "wait - wasn't that made later?" Thus begins the conversation.

Or, if they had to read any Edgar Allen Poe in school, chances are they've at least HEARD of "The Pit and the Pendulum." So that could be a good choice to make them ask questions, too.

Here's a thread I started on critic Ty Burr's 2007 book "The Best Old Movies for Families: A Guide to Watching Together":

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.arts.movies.past-films/%22ty$20burr%22/rec.arts.movies.past-films/RbgMXgIILhU/UdGLQPWeCqAJ

Excerpt (from the back cover of the book):

"FOR THE OLDER ONES (Ages 13+): Burr recommends relating old movies to
teens' contemporary favorites: without Hitchcock, there could be no
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, without Brando, no Johnny Depp."

BTW, I forgot to mention that the kids who saw Buster Keaton's "One Week" were 9 years old.

Ty Burr himself commented, halfway down the thread!

The book now has 26 reviews at Amazon, all of which have 4 or 5 stars.

Lenona.

leno...@yahoo.com

Apr 10, 2016, 3:33:36 PM4/10/16
Oops - yes, I remember - that's "Allan."