best and worst audio commentaries

^TooL^

Feb 4, 2005, 2:02:53 AM2/4/05

It's been a while since i've seen this polled.
What audio commentaries make you wet between the thighs and which make you
want to throw the dvd player out the window?

Good - Fight Club, Seven, Cannibal the Musical, Mr Show and Black Books
ones, always make me 'piss my pants' (that one's for you bod) laughing.

Terrible - Black Christmas, I Drink Your Blood, or Cabin Fever director's
commentaries, they are perfect cures for insomnia.

Go on, stun me with some of the films you've been brave/bored enough to hear
people wank on about for 2 hours.

^TooL^

the dog from that film you saw

Feb 4, 2005, 2:32:43 AM2/4/05

"^TooL^" <notarea...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

how about the omen 2 - it's 1 guy who sounds really old, and about halfway
through he seems to have given up.

--
Gareth.
my Dad took me out for the evening and some girl was being a right

Christopher Adams

Feb 4, 2005, 7:50:14 AM2/4/05
^TooL^ wrote:
> It's been a while since i've seen this polled.
> What audio commentaries make you wet between the thighs and which make
> you want to throw the dvd player out the window?
>
> Good - Fight Club, Seven, Cannibal the Musical, Mr Show and Black Books
> ones, always make me 'piss my pants' (that one's for you bod) laughing.

Sleepy Hollow falls into this category for me, as does Depp and Verbinski on
Pirates of the Caribbean.

> Terrible - Black Christmas, I Drink Your Blood, or Cabin Fever director's
> commentaries, they are perfect cures for insomnia.

The Devil's Advocate is probably my favourite movie, but I'm not impressed by a
commentary where the director is just summarising the events on screen. Tell me
shit, I know the movie off by heart! Fucker.

Knightley and Davenport on Pirates of the Caribbean would be good except the
"commentary" skips along from scene to scene in which they appear. The
"commentary" on Terminator 2: Judgment Day is just snippets of interviews from
various people on various aspects of the production - interesting stuff, but
frustratingly incomplete and "moderated" by some guy who appears to have done
very little on the film itself.

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you

*Nine!* This is *nine!* We have killed your friends! Every friend is now dead!

Manos

Feb 4, 2005, 7:47:40 AM2/4/05

Good- Evil Dead(both commentaries), Evil Dead 2, Re-Animator, The Beyond,
Big Trouble in Little China and A Night to Dismember.

Terrible- Nightmare City, Zombi 2.

Manos

Tom Rockwell

Feb 4, 2005, 7:58:02 AM2/4/05
In article <x6FMd.147053$K7.1...@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, ^TooL^
<notarea...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> It's been a while since i've seen this polled.
> What audio commentaries make you wet between the thighs and which make you
> want to throw the dvd player out the window?

UHF has probably the best commentary I've ever heard. At one point in
the film Weird Al says something like "excuse me, I'll be right back"
and then you see him get up, superimposed over the movie, and walk off
screen. It's great. He points out mistakes, and some interesting
tidbits like they found out that throwing poodles out of a window is
funnier if you don't actually see them hit the ground. And of course
it's really funny.

One of the worst commentaries I've ever heard has got to be Spaceballs.
It's ironic because it's one of my all time favorite movies. But I
couldn't sit through more than about 15 minutes of Mel Brooks'
commentary. It was just sooooo boring.

->Later.....Spice

Roman S.

Feb 4, 2005, 8:45:24 AM2/4/05
Best:
Cannibal Ferox
Fatal Frames
C.H.U.D.
Zombi 2
Videodrome

Ben Ohmart

Feb 4, 2005, 10:51:33 AM2/4/05
CHUD was TERRIBLE, even though I liked the film.

Voice of Disney's Haunted Mansion, The
Pillsbury Doughboy, half the Beatles & more:
http://www.paulfrees.com

Bonestructure

Feb 4, 2005, 11:54:43 AM2/4/05
The commentary for THE THING
Any commentary by Guillermo del Toro. The man is a genius, and he doesn't
just fob his commentary off with jokes and bullshit. He really goes into
some of the aspects of film making and why he does things.

Not many bad commentaries, I just hate getting films where there's
virtually no commentary, no extras, nothing. Leaves me feeling like I've
been ripped off.
ANACONDA
DEEP RISING
LOST VOYAGE

--
I'll probably never win the lottery, but boy, do I feel lucky when I find a
newspaper in the men's room stall.

http://www.bonestructure.net

cailinsdad

Feb 4, 2005, 12:48:06 PM2/4/05

Driller Killer

the dog from that film you saw

Feb 4, 2005, 1:07:11 PM2/4/05

"Ben Ohmart" <beno...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> CHUD was TERRIBLE, even though I liked the film.

i thought chud was a really good one! - lots of laughs and info.

Lesmond

Feb 4, 2005, 1:47:08 PM2/4/05
On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 10:51:33 -0500, Ben Ohmart wrote:

>CHUD was TERRIBLE, even though I liked the film.

CHUD is one of the best!

--
If they knew how I felt, they'd bury me alive.

loucyphre

Feb 4, 2005, 1:42:11 PM2/4/05
"^TooL^" <notarea...@hotmail.com> wrote in

> It's been a while since i've seen this polled.
> What audio commentaries make you wet between the thighs and which make
> you want to throw the dvd player out the window?

The best audio commentary I've ever heard is still C.H.U.D. featuring
Douglas Cheek (director), Shepard Abbot (writer), stars John Heard, Daniel
Stern and Christopher Curry. It manages to be informative, but more than
anything it's hilarious. David Skal on Universal's DRACULA is good, since
Skal has a huge hard-on for anything Tod Browning. A lot of the Criterion
commentaries are top notch too. But C.H.U.D., that's the keeper.

Sadly, the worst commentary I've heard so far is Ted V. Mikels on THE DOLL
SQUAD. Sats absolutely nothing, tries to be playful but it's just boring.
Also David Greenwalt on the "Reptile Boy" episode of BUFFY Season 2 (which
isn't one of my favorites anyway), one of those tracks that just describes
the action - "And here we have actors Alyson Hannigan and Nicholas
Brendon-" Yeah, we just spent fifty bucks on the set, I think we know who
the actors are.

While they are my favorite DVD extra, I admit I haven't listened to nearly
as many commentaries as I should.

----------

loucyphre -

Editor - www.horrorexpress.com (Two years young, suckaz!)
Contributing Writer - www.cultcuts.net
______________________

"I like it. It's a statement."
- (Linnea Quigley, "Return of the Living Dead")

"Our enemies never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our
people, and neither do we."
- (George W. Bush)

"It's all these booze-addled British boys with their Viz-style
rough-and-tumble pub-style blabbering and bullshitting about fucking
sheep and 'getting pissed' and 'tits' and 'arse'. It used to be such a
polite, congenial place, did alt.horror."
- (Dr. Phibes, alt.horror, 12/16/01)

loucyphre

Feb 4, 2005, 1:46:24 PM2/4/05
"Christopher Adams" <mhacde...@yahoo.invalid> wrote in

> The Devil's Advocate is probably my favourite movie, but I'm not
> impressed by a commentary where the director is just summarising the
> events on screen. Tell me shit, I know the movie off by heart! Fucker.

Love it when Taylor Hackford explains the shit ending to DEVIL'S
ADVOCATE by saying he inserted it to basically "not cheat the
audience." Not cheating the audience is what would have happened if you
ended the film five minutes sooner, Taylor.

Mad Mambo Master of Macedonia

Feb 4, 2005, 2:05:00 PM2/4/05
loucyphre <loucy...@HAILTOTHEKINGBABY.hotmail.com> wrote in

> Love it when Taylor Hackford explains the shit ending

"Hack"--an apt name for a thoroughly mediocre director. Is he slated for a
Batman sequel?

--
"Good. Bad. I'm the one with the gun."
Ash.

Mad Mambo Master of Macedonia

Feb 4, 2005, 2:06:06 PM2/4/05
Bonestructure <bo...@1s.net> wrote in news:Xns95F36F0176751bone1snet@
216.196.97.142:

> ANACONDA

Surely you didn't pay for that?

CultStitch.Com

Feb 4, 2005, 5:20:56 PM2/4/05
Well, there are a lot of good ones, I'll just go with the bad ones.

Buckaroo Banzai - Annoying as hell.
The Stuntman - Pretentious as hell.

The worst:

Something Weird - Save this shit for a documentary or something. I want a
commentary for the movie, not some publicity shit. Lewis only gets like 10
minutes airtime here.
---

Cheers!

M.

www.cultstitch.com

loucyphre

Feb 4, 2005, 11:24:51 PM2/4/05
Mad Mambo Master of Macedonia <ne...@newb.com> wrote in

> loucyphre <loucy...@HAILTOTHEKINGBABY.hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Love it when Taylor Hackford explains the shit ending
>
> "Hack"--an apt name for a thoroughly mediocre director. Is he slated
> for a Batman sequel?

BATMAN? No. But he has been nominated as a dark horse for RAY.

Personally, I like what he did with DOLORES CLAIBORNE.

Mad Mambo Master of Macedonia

Feb 5, 2005, 12:46:43 AM2/5/05

> Mad Mambo Master of Macedonia <ne...@newb.com> wrote in
>
>> loucyphre <loucy...@HAILTOTHEKINGBABY.hotmail.com> wrote in
>>
>>> Love it when Taylor Hackford explains the shit ending
>>
>> "Hack"--an apt name for a thoroughly mediocre director. Is he
slated
>> for a Batman sequel?
>>

> BATMAN? No. But he has been nominated as a dark horse for RAY.

Shows just how fucked-up the oscars are.

Mark Arya

Feb 5, 2005, 2:50:11 AM2/5/05
In article <x6FMd.147053$K7.1...@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
"^TooL^" <notarea...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> It's been a while since i've seen this polled.
> What audio commentaries make you wet between the thighs and which make you
> want to throw the dvd player out the window?

Best:

Any Sam Raimi/Bruce Campbell commentary. They talk so much shit about
each other and the Evil Dead movies you can't help but LOL.

John Carpenter/Kurt Russel commentaries for Escape From New York, The
Thing and Big Trouble in Little China. Always entertaining and
informative!

From Dusk Till Dawn commentary with Robert Rodriguez and Quentin
Tarantino.

Any Joss Whedon commentary, whether it be for Buffy, Angel or Firefly.
The man is a genius I tell you!! :)

Worst:

Wes Craven's commentary for New Nightmare. It was informative enough,
but there were too many long pauses. He needed a moderator or something
to keep up the pace.

Kathryn Bigelow commentary on Near Dark. A great little vampire flick
that's sadly overlooked, but this commentary is a snooze fest.

Terminator 2 commentary. The Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition is an AMAZING
DVD, but this so called "commentary" is a confusing mess of interview
clips. CRAP.

American Beauty commenary with Sam Mendes. I love the movie to death,
but please don't let Sam Mendes do anymore commentaries!

Lord Retsudo

Feb 5, 2005, 4:31:22 AM2/5/05
I particularly like all of Werner Herzog's commentaries - they're always
fascinating, and he has a strangely hypnotic voice I find... Gaspar Noé's
commentary on IRRÉVERSIBLE is good too.

Tom

Christopher Adams

Feb 5, 2005, 8:22:15 PM2/5/05
loucyphre wrote:

> Christopher Adams wrote:
>
>> The Devil's Advocate is probably my favourite movie, but I'm not
>> impressed by a commentary where the director is just summarising the
>> events on screen. Tell me shit, I know the movie off by heart! Fucker.
>
> Love it when Taylor Hackford explains the shit ending to DEVIL'S
> ADVOCATE by saying he inserted it to basically "not cheat the
> audience." Not cheating the audience is what would have happened if you
> ended the film five minutes sooner, Taylor.

Hmm. I like the ending - but then, the novel ends in a similar fashion, though
in very different circumstances.

Theologically speaking it's sound, too. ;)

Charli

Feb 5, 2005, 11:40:52 PM2/5/05
The worst commentary I've ever heard is John Carpenter's for "In The
Mouth of Madness." He spent the entire movie talking about the damn
lighting.

Oh, and lest we forget my griping a couple of years ago, the commentary
for Die Hard 2 was the pits too. "First, ve had no schnow, und den ve
made schnow, but den it melted und ve had to make more schnow." Gimme
a freakin break.

Best commentary? C.H.U.D. is up there, along with "Clerks," and John
Carpenter on "The Thing." Now there, he did it right.
Charli

Mad Mambo Master of Macedonia

Feb 5, 2005, 11:54:32 PM2/5/05
"Charli" <litc...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1107664852.310501.18500
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> The worst commentary I've ever heard is John Carpenter's for "In The
> Mouth of Madness." He spent the entire movie talking about the damn
> lighting.

I found that commentary to be very interesting--in part because he kept
asking his cinematographer how they did this scene and that scene.
Lighting is not his forte.

The FAT SPANIARD does give good commentary, e.g. the one about the boy
and the ghost.

Jared Head

Feb 6, 2005, 9:48:26 PM2/6/05
Mad Mambo Master of Macedonia wrote:
> The FAT SPANIARD does give good commentary, e.g. the one about the
boy
> and the ghost.

I was going to reply to Bonestructure and say that Guillermo del Toro's
"Devil's Backbone" commentary was good, but I think that's what you
just said.

Mondo Cane

Feb 7, 2005, 12:30:49 AM2/7/05
any commentary done by John Waters is always great. he's always funny
as hell and has a story behind every last detail of his films.

i also liked the commentaries for Bubba Ho-Tep by "Elvis" and Fear and
Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson

Tagliere

Feb 24, 2005, 4:41:00 PM2/24/05

I don't think you can compile any list of best commentaries without
including "Silence of the Lambs". To me, "Silence" has the best use
ever of compiled commentary tracks, where each person is recorded
separately and then they splice together. Informative, intelligent and
extremely interesting - it does not miss a beat, and is never boring.

Christopher Adams

Feb 26, 2005, 12:42:58 AM2/26/05
Tagliere wrote:

> I don't think you can compile any list of best commentaries without
> including "Silence of the Lambs". To me, "Silence" has the best use
> ever of compiled commentary tracks, where each person is recorded
> separately and then they splice together. Informative, intelligent and
> extremely interesting - it does not miss a beat, and is never boring.

Normally I avoid that style of commentary like the plague, but since I didn't
even know there *was* a commentary for "The Silence of the Lambs", I'll have to
check it out.

I'll say it again - the worst example of compiled commentary tracks ever is on
"Terminator 2: Judgment Day".

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you
understand?
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/prestigeclasslist.html
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/templatelist.html

I'm standing at the altar as they play the wedding march
I'm in a black tuxedo with my collar full of starch
She looks as lovely as she's ever gonna get
I wake up from this nightmare in a pool of sweat

Beaver Fever

Jan 17, 2024, 1:06:07 AMJan 17
David J Skal was killed in a crash like a block from my house