Exit Through the Gift Shop (SPOILERS)

The White Lady

Jan 21, 2011, 3:51:39 AM1/21/11
Has anybody else seen it? I'd like to know what you think. I knew fuck all
about it, other than it was supposed to be good, and I know next to nothing
about Banksy. Because he's regarded as cool by the kind of cunts I hate I
tend towards thinking he's a dick, or I did until discovering he's
apparently made one of the most interesting, clever, entertaining and
thought-provoking films I've seen.

I looked it up afterwards and was very surprised to see that most reviewers
take it as a straight up documentary because I certainly didn't see it that
way. Maybe I'm dead wrong but I think that Mr Brainwash has been created by
Banksy (not sure whether the guy is in on it or not) to show what he said
halfway through the film he wants the documentary to show or explain - what
street art is really all about and why it's not all about the money. If I'm
right then I think the guy is a genuine genius.

ReVulse

Jan 21, 2011, 8:20:00 AM1/21/11
On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 08:51:39 +0000, The White Lady wrote:

> Has anybody else seen it? I'd like to know what you think. I knew fuck
> all about it, other than it was supposed to be good, and I know next to
> nothing about Banksy. Because he's regarded as cool by the kind of cunts
> I hate I tend towards thinking he's a dick, or I did until discovering
> he's apparently made one of the most interesting, clever, entertaining
> and thought-provoking films I've seen.

Right, I'm going to watch it.

If I don't like it, there's going to be trouble.

--
#Andy#

"all your glad-handing is going to be wasted effort
as soon as I drive ReVulse and the others permanently
off alt.horror." - Avoid Normal Situations (7th May 2009)

The White Lady

Jan 21, 2011, 10:36:47 AM1/21/11
ReVulse <ReV...@psychaoticREMOVETHIS.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in news:ihc160$7d6
$6...@news.eternal-september.org:

> On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 08:51:39 +0000, The White Lady wrote:
>
>> Has anybody else seen it? I'd like to know what you think. I knew fuck
>> all about it, other than it was supposed to be good, and I know next to
>> nothing about Banksy. Because he's regarded as cool by the kind of cunts
>> I hate I tend towards thinking he's a dick, or I did until discovering
>> he's apparently made one of the most interesting, clever, entertaining
>> and thought-provoking films I've seen.
>
> Right, I'm going to watch it.
>
> If I don't like it, there's going to be trouble.

You shouldn't have read it until after, you daft cunt!

ptr

Jan 21, 2011, 12:02:24 PM1/21/11
Am 21.01.2011 09:51, schrieb The White Lady:
> Has anybody else seen it? I'd like to know what you think. I knew fuck all...

> street art is really all about and why it's not all about the money. If I'm
> right then I think the guy is a genuine genius.

well, if he's genius, he's doing the only right thing: staying out of
the spolight.
other than some nice pieces of art, I don't think there's much more to
him. street art is about the money. at least the street art, that's
been presented in the media. and there isn't even much the "real"
street artists can do about it.

everything is for sale - there is no underground.

the film is, of course, not a documentary. it shows how gullible the
public, "art collectors" etc. are. and it shows the absurdity that's
connected with modern art (and the money people are willing to pay for
it, if the right person says it's OK).
nice examples: "My kid could paint that" and "Who the F*k is Jackson
Pollock?".
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0912592/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0487092/

or a good one about graffiti/street art:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1002535/

Mr. Brainwash is a fraud, tho. "created", if you will, by his
surroundings and/or Banksy. but the media, hipsters, general idiots
with money love him (Mr. B.). apparently... I think, he's even done
"artwork" for a Madonna album.

--
PTR.

bod

Jan 21, 2011, 11:51:13 AM1/21/11

"The White Lady" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

im passing on this one....a fucking genius??....hes one up from scrawling
big COCKS on the side of gable ends or writing YOUR MUMS A CUNT all over a
bus shelter....if i had my way he would be put into a large sack and thrown
into the nearest river....the VANDALISTIC LITTLE PRICK.

--
regards from bod.

"dont worry yoko, its only a friggin water pist...."
JOHN LENNON 1980

http://www.myspace.com/bodland
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=bodland

The White Lady

Jan 21, 2011, 12:39:43 PM1/21/11
ptr <ast...@gmx.de> wrote in news:ihccdr$aik$02$1...@news.t-online.com:

> Am 21.01.2011 09:51, schrieb The White Lady:
>> Has anybody else seen it? I'd like to know what you think. I knew
>> fuck all...
>
>> street art is really all about and why it's not all about the money.
>> If I'm right then I think the guy is a genuine genius.
>
> well, if he's genius, he's doing the only right thing: staying out of
> the spolight.
> other than some nice pieces of art, I don't think there's much more to
> him. street art is about the money. at least the street art, that's
> been presented in the media. and there isn't even much the "real"
> street artists can do about it.

I thought the film showed the difference between the two brilliantly.
The stuff that obviously isn't made purely as a saleable product and the
stuff that is.

> everything is for sale - there is no underground.
>
> the film is, of course, not a documentary. it shows how gullible the
> public, "art collectors" etc. are. and it shows the absurdity that's
> connected with modern art (and the money people are willing to pay for
> it, if the right person says it's OK).
> nice examples: "My kid could paint that" and "Who the F*k is Jackson
> Pollock?".
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0912592/
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0487092/
>
> or a good one about graffiti/street art:
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1002535/
>
> Mr. Brainwash is a fraud, tho. "created", if you will, by his
> surroundings and/or Banksy. but the media, hipsters, general idiots
> with money love him (Mr. B.). apparently... I think, he's even done
> "artwork" for a Madonna album.

It seemed obvious to me what the real story was but why do so many
reviews treat it as a real documentary? Whatever, it's not really
relevant to the central message. I haven't re-watched it yet but
remembering Banksy's faux-indignation at his creation and other humorous
touches I find it difficult to believe that he hasn't deliberately
created this guy just to take the piss out of the vile cunts who are his
biggest fans/audience/customers. That shows his decency and integrity to
me.

The White Lady

Jan 21, 2011, 12:40:11 PM1/21/11
"bod" <fuc...@bodland.com> wrote in

> "The White Lady" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> ReVulse <ReV...@psychaoticREMOVETHIS.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in
>> $6...@news.eternal-september.org:

>>> Right, I'm going to watch it.
>>>
>>> If I don't like it, there's going to be trouble.
>>>

>> You shouldn't have read it until after, you daft cunt!
>
> im passing on this one.

Your loss.

deadrodentyping

Jan 21, 2011, 2:15:56 PM1/21/11
The White Lady <m...@privacy.net> wrote in

Well you WERE right about Stewart Lee...

deadrodentyping

Jan 21, 2011, 2:18:04 PM1/21/11
"bod" <fuc...@bodland.com> wrote in

> "The White Lady" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> ReVulse <ReV...@psychaoticREMOVETHIS.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in
>> $6...@news.eternal-september.org:

>>> Right, I'm going to watch it.
>>>
>>> If I don't like it, there's going to be trouble.
>>>

>> You shouldn't have read it until after, you daft cunt!
>
> im passing on this one....a fucking genius??....hes one up from
> scrawling big COCKS on the side of gable ends or writing YOUR MUMS A
> CUNT all over a bus shelter....if i had my way he would be put into a
> large sack and thrown into the nearest river....the VANDALISTIC LITTLE
> PRICK.

How is it any worse than having cell phone ads plastered on every
fucking square inch of public space other than the front windshields of
buses?

deadrodentyping

Jan 21, 2011, 2:19:19 PM1/21/11
The White Lady <m...@privacy.net> wrote in

You're just insisting on the right to hate everyone. That's MY gig, you
bitch.

ReVulse

Jan 21, 2011, 6:02:43 PM1/21/11
On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 08:51:39 +0000, The White Lady wrote:

Just watched it. TOTAL FUCKING COCK.

It's clearly pretty much as you said; It's a big joke being made by
Banksy. It hardly makes him a genius though.

There were scenes where Thierry was filming, but he was being filmed at
the same time, and at that point there would have been no reason for that
to be occurring. He also makes a statement near the end where he says "in
time you'll see whether I'm a real artist or not". Also, I don't believe
Banksy would let himself be filmed by someone he didn't know very well
and certainly wouldn't make a film that makes him look like he had been
beaten at his own game - unless it was a joke.

Do you remember years ago, the people who did an exhibition by an up-and-
coming artist, got art critics to gush about his work and then revealed
the artist was actually a chimpanzee? The critics complained they had
been misled, but it was pointed out that the art itself hadn't changed,
all that had changed was their perception of the artist; and that
shouldn't be a factor.

All Banksy has done is just the same thing, but less blatantly.

The White Lady

Jan 22, 2011, 2:58:03 AM1/22/11
ReVulse <ReV...@psychaoticREMOVETHIS.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in

I didn't really expect you to see anything deeper than that, if I'm
honest. He's done something similar to the chimp thing (wasn't it a
fucking elephant) but something much more meaningful, clever and, more
importantly. truly subversive.

The White Lady

Jan 22, 2011, 2:58:54 AM1/22/11
deadrodentyping <bill_cosb...@rape.com> wrote in

Now I can die happy.

deadrodentyping

Jan 22, 2011, 10:14:01 AM1/22/11
The White Lady <m...@privacy.net> wrote in

I MATTER!

deadrodentyping

Jan 22, 2011, 10:19:17 AM1/22/11

> I didn't really expect you to see anything deeper than that, if I'm
> honest. He's done something similar to the chimp thing (wasn't it a
> fucking elephant) but something much more meaningful, clever and, more
> importantly. truly subversive.

I just don't know if I can trust someone who doesn't GET "Observe &
Report".

I swear to god, I can't hear 'subversive' without instantly thinking of
this one:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/95-percent-of-opinions-withheld-on-
visit-to-family,490/

"We're totally not on the same wavelength at all," Wilmot said. "I'm not
just talking about dangerous subjects like politics or religion, but
pretty much everything they bring up�the shows they watch, the things
they buy, the people they know. So if someone says Daddy Day Care was
hilarious, I may be thinking, 'I can't believe Eddie Murphy was once
respected as a subversive comic genius,' but I sure as hell don't say
it."

Also:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/eddie-murphy-fucks-self-for-20-
million,9856/

ReVulse

Jan 22, 2011, 10:44:21 AM1/22/11

How? I admit it's more elaborate, but then he has a bigger budget. He
needs to be careful, biting the hand that feeds him - How will he sell
his artwork for shitloads of money to stupid yanks if he makes them look
like idiots.

Plus, it will be harder in the future for real, talented artists to get
any recognition if the artworld is suspicious that any new,
groundbreaking artists might be fakes.

The White Lady

Jan 22, 2011, 12:21:27 PM1/22/11
ReVulse <ReV...@psychaoticREMOVETHIS.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in news:iheu0l
$lm3$1...@news.eternal-september.org:

You so didn't get it.

Avoid normal situations.

Jan 22, 2011, 4:51:21 PM1/22/11
ReVulse <ReV...@psychaoticremovethis.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 08:51:39 +0000, The White Lady wrote:

[..]

> Just watched it. TOTAL FUCKING COCK.

Like I said -- one of the best films of 2010. Hilarious, yet thought-
provoking.

> It's clearly pretty much as you said; It's a big joke being made by
> Banksy. It hardly makes him a genius though.

If the whole movie is actually a troll, that makes it even better. More
reason to think about it, and laugh about it.

--
alt.flame Special Forces
"Question authority, but stop at stop signs." -- Eugenie C. Scott

Kishin

Jan 22, 2011, 5:25:44 PM1/22/11
Avoid normal situations. wrote:
> ReVulse<ReV...@psychaoticremovethis.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 08:51:39 +0000, The White Lady wrote:
>
> [..]
>
>> Just watched it. TOTAL FUCKING COCK.
>
> Like I said -- one of the best films of 2010. Hilarious, yet thought-
> provoking.

You realize you're siding with the White Lady, right?

>> It's clearly pretty much as you said; It's a big joke being made by
>> Banksy. It hardly makes him a genius though.
>
> If the whole movie is actually a troll, that makes it even better. More
> reason to think about it, and laugh about it.

I guess you ARE the local authority on trolls.

--

Kishin

ReVulse

Jan 22, 2011, 6:56:27 PM1/22/11
On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 21:51:21 +0000, Avoid normal situations. wrote:

> ReVulse <ReV...@psychaoticremovethis.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 08:51:39 +0000, The White Lady wrote:
>
> [..]
>
>> Just watched it. TOTAL FUCKING COCK.
>
> Like I said -- one of the best films of 2010. Hilarious, yet thought-
> provoking.

That's fine, if you want to buy into Banksy(tm) just as much as the
people who pay thousands for his artwork. All you're doing is just buying
into him in a different way.

In one scene there is picture of one of his streetworks with "Banksy is a
sellout" graffitied across it. Now Banksy(tm) is using that in an ironic
way to his advantage. It wouldn't surprise me if he started a clothing
line that had T-Shirts with that slogan on them. Of course, they would be
manufactured in an Asian sweatshop and cost £50 each.

>> It's clearly pretty much as you said; It's a big joke being made by
>> Banksy. It hardly makes him a genius though.
>
> If the whole movie is actually a troll, that makes it even better.
> More reason to think about it, and laugh about it.

He's just repackaged an idea and is selling it as something more than it
is. Lets have a big laugh at how stupid art lovers are - big deal. The
likes of Chris Morris could do something far more subversive (and has
done).

The White Lady

Jan 23, 2011, 3:31:16 AM1/23/11

> it is. Lets have a big laugh at how stupid art lovers are - big deal.

It's hardly just that. He's done it in a very clever way that has fooled
many people, he's also made a brilliant film out of it which I think was
just as important - one that has a lot to say about the subject matter or
at least poses a lot of interesting questions. Your assessment of it is far
from a fact - I don't think anybody really knows if this Mr Brainwash guy
has even sold any of his 'art'. The whole lot could be a hoax. As I've said
before, the real facts aren't that important, I don't much care about
getting a definitive answer. I'm just bowled over to see something
impressive at all, it happens all too rarely and I want to savour every
second of my impressedness. Also it was funny as fuck.

The White Lady

Jan 23, 2011, 3:36:34 AM1/23/11
I want to know what Jared thinks.

ReVulse

Jan 23, 2011, 7:29:25 AM1/23/11
On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 08:31:16 +0000, The White Lady wrote:

> ReVulse <ReV...@psychaoticREMOVETHIS.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> it is. Lets have a big laugh at how stupid art lovers are - big deal.
>

> It's hardly just that. He's done it in a very clever way that has fooled
> many people, he's also made a brilliant film out of it which I think was
> just as important - one that has a lot to say about the subject matter
> or at least poses a lot of interesting questions. Your assessment of it
> is far from a fact - I don't think anybody really knows if this Mr
> Brainwash guy has even sold any of his 'art'.

He did the Madonna album cover. Unless you're suggesting she was in on
the joke.

> The whole lot could be a
> hoax. As I've said before, the real facts aren't that important, I don't
> much care about getting a definitive answer. I'm just bowled over to see
> something impressive at all, it happens all too rarely and I want to
> savour every second of my impressedness. Also it was funny as fuck.

"he's regarded as cool by the kind of cunts I hate" - The White Lady.

The White Lady

Jan 23, 2011, 9:08:52 AM1/23/11
ReVulse <ReV...@psychaoticREMOVETHIS.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in news:ihh6v5$baj
$1...@news.eternal-september.org:

> On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 08:31:16 +0000, The White Lady wrote:
>
>> ReVulse <ReV...@psychaoticREMOVETHIS.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in
>>
>>> it is. Lets have a big laugh at how stupid art lovers are - big deal.
>>

>> It's hardly just that. He's done it in a very clever way that has fooled
>> many people, he's also made a brilliant film out of it which I think was
>> just as important - one that has a lot to say about the subject matter
>> or at least poses a lot of interesting questions. Your assessment of it
>> is far from a fact - I don't think anybody really knows if this Mr
>> Brainwash guy has even sold any of his 'art'.
>
> He did the Madonna album cover. Unless you're suggesting she was in on
> the joke.
>
>> The whole lot could be a
>> hoax. As I've said before, the real facts aren't that important, I don't
>> much care about getting a definitive answer. I'm just bowled over to see
>> something impressive at all, it happens all too rarely and I want to
>> savour every second of my impressedness. Also it was funny as fuck.
>
> "he's regarded as cool by the kind of cunts I hate" - The White Lady.

I bought the dvd of tf Stepbrothers because I almost died laughing watching
it the first time. Watched it again the other day and it was fucking shite.
I'm never watching Exit again. Everybody lets me down in the end, look at
that cunt Charlie Brooker now. And he's married a paki.

ReVulse

Jan 23, 2011, 11:11:15 AM1/23/11
On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 14:08:52 +0000, The White Lady wrote:

> Everybody lets me down in the end

I won't let you down. I will always be a constant and reliable
disappointment to you.

Avoid normal situations.

Jan 23, 2011, 1:11:17 PM1/23/11
Kishin <no...@yobiz.ness> wrote:
> Avoid normal situations. wrote:
> > ReVulse<ReV...@psychaoticremovethis.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> >> On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 08:51:39 +0000, The White Lady wrote:

[..]

> >> Just watched it. TOTAL FUCKING COCK.
> >
> > Like I said -- one of the best films of 2010. Hilarious, yet thought-
> > provoking.

> You realize you're siding with the White Lady, right?

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

> >> It's clearly pretty much as you said; It's a big joke being made by
> >> Banksy. It hardly makes him a genius though.
> >
> > If the whole movie is actually a troll, that makes it even better. More
> > reason to think about it, and laugh about it.

> I guess you ARE the local authority on trolls.

No.

--
alt.flame Special Forces
"If the use of leisure time is confined to looking at TV for a few extra hours

Avoid normal situations.

Jan 23, 2011, 1:15:05 PM1/23/11
ReVulse <ReV...@psychaoticremovethis.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 08:31:16 +0000, The White Lady wrote:

[..]

> > The whole lot could be a
> > hoax. As I've said before, the real facts aren't that important, I don't
> > much care about getting a definitive answer. I'm just bowled over to see
> > something impressive at all, it happens all too rarely and I want to
> > savour every second of my impressedness. Also it was funny as fuck.

> "he's regarded as cool by the kind of cunts I hate" - The White Lady.

Go to the head of the class. The self-loathing of White Lady, you, and the
other waste cases around here is already well-documented.

deadrodentyping

Jan 23, 2011, 1:32:25 PM1/23/11
The White Lady <m...@privacy.net> wrote in news:Xns9E768FEBA3AC3meprivacynet@
130.133.4.11:

> Everybody lets me down in the end, look at
> that cunt Charlie Brooker now. And he's married a paki.

Lucky!

deadrodentyping

Jan 23, 2011, 1:33:09 PM1/23/11
The White Lady <m...@privacy.net> wrote in news:Xns9E7657912BCC1meprivacynet@
130.133.4.11:

> I want to know what Jared thinks.

He thinks you're a 13 year old in the body of an adult.

The White Lady

Jan 23, 2011, 1:38:09 PM1/23/11

deadrodentyping

Jan 23, 2011, 3:42:46 PM1/23/11