Werewolves and man

KATM...@uga.cc.uga.edu

Nov 16, 1993, 2:09:06 AM11/16/93
I suppose my interest in werewolves stems from my belief that western
civilization has moved further and further from any kind of contact or
understanding of the natural world. I've always thought that buried deep
within each of us is some part that's still connected with the natural,
primitive world; this is the "wolf" waiting to surface. Some give themselves
totally to the animalistic; others submerge it so deeply that they never
notice the natural world or their need for contact with it.

Personally, I've always envisioned werewolves as having three forms:
Human, full wolf, and an intermediate form between the two. This fits
neatly with my ideas above; the intermediate form would be the perfect meshing
of the animal with the "civilized" human.

Now that I read it, all the above sounds terribly new age. Ironic, since
I'd never consider myself a "new-ager", or ever been taken in by the usual
new age fads. Humph. Anyway, it's just some late-night ramblings from
someone stuck in a windowless room all night. Howl for me, eh? The folks
here would wonder were I to suddenly go for a full-throated yawp. :)

darren wilson

Nov 16, 1993, 2:15:12 PM11/16/93
KATM...@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU wrote in article <16C881E42...@UGA.CC.UGA.E
Deletions

>Now that I read it, all the above sounds terribly new age. Ironic, since
>I'd never consider myself a "new-ager", or ever been taken in by the usual
>new age fads. Humph. Anyway, it's just some late-night ramblings from
>someone stuck in a windowless room all night. Howl for me, eh? The folks
>here would wonder were I to suddenly go for a full-throated yawp. :)

Dude, you sound caged. I personally hate the city and I spent the first
three months of last summer in the middle of 1500 acres of forest in Ohio.
No I'm not nuts and no I don't think I'm a werewolf but I did hunt my food
and eat. I also enjoyed it. You would be surprised at the things a person
does instinctually after being in the wilderness for a periode of time. For
example the reading of smells and odors, the feeling of changing wheather,
the excitement of the hunt. Some of these are learned but I believe that
some stem from instinctual knowledge. I loved it but alas I'm in the
civilized world once again (college). Oh, btw, I wouldn't recomend this to
everyone. More than a few people thought I was nuts including my fiance!
If your feeling caged breakout.

D. Wilson

KATM...@uga.cc.uga.edu

Nov 17, 1993, 4:55:33 AM11/17/93
In article <2cb8s1...@tuna.cis.ohio-state.edu>

dwi...@cis.ohio-state.edu (darren wilson) writes:

> Dude, you sound caged. I personally hate the city and I spent the first
> three months of last summer in the middle of 1500 acres of forest in Ohio.
> No I'm not nuts and no I don't think I'm a werewolf but I did hunt my food
> and eat. I also enjoyed it. You would be surprised at the things a person
> does instinctually after being in the wilderness for a periode of time. For
Caged is right. I like hiking and camping, but it always seems as if I never
have enough time for it anymore. I've been contemplating moving and changing
jobs for some time now...maybe soon...

ObWerewolf: The sex amongst werewolves thing.. agreed, that if the concept
of werewolves is ever to be "normed" in any way, you can't ignore the sexual
aspect of it. Like it or not, everyone's affected by sex in some way.

Katm...@uga.cc.uga.edu '83 Kaw GPz305 <--Name Me!
ewi...@phoenix.cs.uga.edu <--OLD addy '89 Honda GB500 (soon...
SysOp of A1A BBS (706) 613-1629 maybe...)
FIDO 1:370/130 Sell me your bike! 500+cc
Really, I'm desperate.
My opinions are borrowed from someone who no longer needs them.

ARP...@psuvm.psu.edu

Nov 17, 1993, 12:05:03 PM11/17/93
WoW! All this from just one post! I'm glad I got the group up and talking
(or howling, in Lisa's case). Anyway, here's a few more ideas to throw into
the fray.

>I suppose my interest in werewolves stems from my belief that western
>civilization has moved further and further from any kind of contact or
>understanding of the natural world. I've always thought that buried deep
>within each of us is some part that's still connected with the natural,
>primitive world; this is the "wolf" waiting to surface. Some give themselves
>totally to the animalistic; others submerge it so deeply that they never
>notice the natural world or their need for contact with it.

To me, this is dualism pushed to the extreme. It's almost a psychological
version of "my way or the highway" that doesn't allow for any middleground.
From what I can see (IMHO, of course) most people are oblivious to their
animalistic tendencies. And, when they do come into contact with their
metaphysical "wolves" they react in one of two ways: either burying it under
a mountain of banal, civilized thoughts or jump headlong into their animal
sides without a thought of the consiquences.
Well, I think both approaches to the whole situation are wrong. Extremes
are dangerous things and living in one all the time will grind you down.
The best place to be, in my view, is at a point of ballance between the two
sides. A blending if you will.

>Personally, I've always envisioned werewolves as having three forms:
>Human, full wolf, and an intermediate form between the two. This fits
>neatly with my ideas above; the intermediate form would be the perfect meshing
>of the animal with the "civilized" human.

Isn't parallel thinking fun? Give or take a few details, this is the basic
idea behind the werewolves in my stories except for a few things. For me, the
half-man, half-wolf form would be a bleinding of the two, but it might not
be a perfect one (perfection, IMHO, is impossible and really boring). One side
might be slightly stronger than the other, depending on the werewolf's
personality. In the other forms, human and wolf, they would not be pure
renditions of their mundane counterparts. Some..."contamination" would exist.
The human half would be aware, even if subconsciously, about how the wolf half
percieves things and, when in wolf form, the opposite would be apply. Either
way, my werewolves would never entirely fit into either world.

>Now that I read it, all the above sounds terribly new age. Ironic, since
>I'd never consider myself a "new-ager", or ever been taken in by the usual
>new age fads. Humph. Anyway, it's just some late-night ramblings from
>someone stuck in a windowless room all night. Howl for me, eh? The folks
>here would wonder were I to suddenly go for a full-throated yawp. :)

This isn't really a new age sentiment. The idea of ballance is a common
theme in many cultures, especially Asian ones (ancient Chinese secret, huh?).
I only think the new-agers seized upon this idea because it's what a lot of
people are looking for in life.
Anyway, nice post. Very thoughtful.

0tt0 (arp...@psuvm.psu.edu)
"You'll find one in every car. You'll see."--REPO MAN
"You see this? [rubs thumb and forefinger together] This is the
world's smallest violin playing just for you."
-- Quentin Tarantino [misquoted]

Charlotte Yano

Nov 17, 1993, 12:54:36 PM11/17/93
The wolf is basicly an animal that hunts, lives and survives in a pack.
(here is probably the biggest difference between the W.W. and the wolf)
Because they work in a group, there is a social heirarchy. Unlike the
majority of animals that function in a group, there is very little
gender discrimination as far as the respect and the power that is
achieved. There is basicly one Alpha-Male, and one Alpha-Female. The
rest of the power is distributed by seniority. The personalities of the
wolfs can vary as much as the personalities of people can. (believe
it!!) Not all wolfs are powerful highly aggressive animals. Granted,
it helps, but a wolf can be very cunning in His/Her behavior in the hunt
without being very aggressive at all. The Alphas tend to be the
personalities that the stereotype is based off of. (for a really good
movie about wolf behavior, watch "Never Cry Wolf" very interesting, and
acurate.)
Wolfs are actually for the majority of the time, not all that
aggressive. It is more of a attitude of protecting the territory.
this seems to be the priorities of the wolf pack:
survival of the pack
food
protection of the territory
Anything that is past that, the wolves really couldn't care less. you
can come up to the very edge of their territory, and they will seem to
ignore you, simply lying alert, panting most likely, and seem to be
looking in the other direction. the moment that you step into the
territory, you will probably get a warning bark, if they are familiar
with your presence, if not, you won't get that chance. Alpha M or F
will probably run towards you with fangs bared, not quite attacking, but
will if not heeded. Step back over the line, they will stop, bark at you
growl, then watch you very carefully to make sure that you walk away.
If you don't step back to your side, you are wolfmeat.
Wolves tend not to all out attack unless absolutly nessicary.
Either by food, or by need to protect the group. *Warning* *DO NOT MESS
WITH THE CUBS!!!!* *ALPHA F. WILL KILL YOU NO QUESTIONS ASKED*

Basicly, the wolf is a very romanic animal, in the sense that
there is always mysicism or animal worship in any region of the world
that has indiginous wolves. You always know where you stand with the
wolves. There is also a sence of perfection and unity in the perception
of the wolf. On one hand, a unquestionable beauty, grace, intelligence,
and cunning. On the other, an animal that is so deadly that once a
victim is chosen, more likely than not, they will be food. ( I believe
they have a higher success rate than lions, which is 10:1 odds,
trys:success. I could be wrong though.)

I must get going, That whole school thing y'know.

A special Howl for OttO and Dave. I echo it off of the Chathedral of
Knoledge. I think it is about 1 1/2 miles. Security has been called
several times because of me... Hehehe.

-Cha-la, the Art Demon

Lucas Ehler

Nov 17, 1993, 6:46:45 PM11/17/93
darren wilson (dwi...@cis.ohio-state.edu) wrote:
: KATM...@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU wrote in article <16C881E42...@UGA.CC.UGA.E

Lucas Ehler

Nov 17, 1993, 6:51:07 PM11/17/93
oops...

: : ...but alas I'm in the

: : civilized world once again (college).

: : D. Wilson

you call OSU civilized?

just kiddin'
I really meant to send this, both times...damn thing...

the once and Future Ohioan

KATM...@uga.cc.uga.edu

Nov 18, 1993, 2:38:48 AM11/18/93
In article <93321.120...@psuvm.psu.edu>

<ARP...@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:

>From what I can see (IMHO, of course) most people are oblivious to their
>animalistic tendencies. And, when they do come into contact with their
>metaphysical "wolves" they react in one of two ways: either burying it under
>a mountain of banal, civilized thoughts or jump headlong into their animal
>sides without a thought of the consiquences.
> Well, I think both approaches to the whole situation are wrong. Extremes
>idea behind the werewolves in my stories except for a few things. For me, the

Agreed.

>half-man, half-wolf form would be a bleinding of the two, but it might not
>renditions of their mundane counterparts. Some..."contamination" would exist.
> This isn't really a new age sentiment. The idea of ballance is a common

You're right, nothing's perfect. My first thought was "Doiw! He's already
incorporated this stuff into a werewolf novel of his own!" Then I stopped
hyperventilating and remembered that everythings been written before; there
are very few truly original ideas. (I remember the first time I read _The
Mote in God's Eye_ and saw their ideas for faster-than-light travel; which
were very similar to my own. Dagnabbit! :) )
I think the simultaneous dual-nature of man and wolf is important to
consider, not only in personal philosophies but also in regards to making
any werewolf fiction as believable as possible.

>theme in many cultures, especially Asian ones (ancient Chinese secret, huh?).
>I only think the new-agers seized upon this idea because it's what a lot of
>people are looking for in life.

Yah..Tho I tend to mumble such thoughts rather than speak them outloud;
nothing against new-agers, but it just isn't my cup of highly caffienated
leached extract of dried vegetable matter, if ya know what I mean. :) It
helps if I look at the original source of such thought and not the modernized,
trendy versions; especially since they have a lot to offer to counterpoint
western philosophies.
There's an interesting thought: Eastern accounts of Lycanthropy. Hmm...

I know I've probably posted these before, but here are a couple of good
books for lycanthropy stories and theories:

A Lycanthropy Reader: Werewolves in Western Culture
Edited by Charlotte F. Owen
Syracuse University Press, 1986

The Werewolf: In Legend, Fact and Art
Basil Copper
St. Martin's Press, NY, 1977

darren wilson

Nov 18, 1993, 12:48:36 PM11/18/93
Lucas Ehler wrote in article <2ceddb$m...@news.bu.edu> :

Point taken but you have to consider that I used to live in Akron, Home of
the blimp and Devo. Did you know that Akron is an ancient indian work for
industrial wilderness? If you think OSU is bad try Akron U the academic joke
of the century.

D. Wilson

darren wilson

Nov 18, 1993, 9:32:06 PM11/18/93

>Point taken but you have to consider that I used to live in Akron, Home of
>the blimp and Devo. Did you know that Akron is an ancient indian work for
>industrial wilderness? If you think OSU is bad try Akron U the academic joke
>of the century.
>

> D. Wilson

oooops I meant to say word not work and sorry about the Akron U thing

to anyone who might have been offended. Just my humble opinion...growl.

aaaAAAARRROOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......BARK.....bark..

D. Wilson