Shifting Magick (repost from 1995)

DarkeMane Industries

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
Posted to alt.horror.werewolves on the 13th of June, 1995 by myself.
Reposted today. Thought this might be interesting.

--- BEGIN : REPOST

Russian Shifting Spell

I thought I might add a bit of fuel to the fire *grins*. This is a
little bit of magick that I've come across relavent to werewolves,
it's a spell to do with shifting.

The spell/incantation that is included with the post, is from Russia,
pre-1900's. It is reasonable accurate to my knowledge (my source is a
book written in 1865.) however the word wolf should be substituted
with the appropriate animal (..eagle?). The Russian's call the
were-wolf ('thropes in general.) 'oborot' which translated as 'one
transformed' thus the spell should work for all forms.

The text is as follows:
He who desires to become an oborot, let him seek in the forest a
hewn-down tree; let him stab it with a small copper knife, and
walk round the tree, repeating the following incantation :-

On the sea, on the ocean, on the island, on Bujan,
On the empty pasture gleams the moon, on an ashstock lying
In a green wood, in a gloomy vale.
Towards the stock wandereth a (shaggy wolf),
Horned cattle seeking for his (sharp white fangs);
But the (wolf) enters not the forest,
But the (wolf) dives not into the shadowy vale,
Moon, moon, gold-horned moon,
Check the flight of bullets, blunt the hunters' knives,
Break the shepherds' cudels,
Cast wild fear upon all cattle,
On men, all creeping things,
That they may not catch the (grey wolf),
That they may not rend his warm skin!
My word is binding, more binding than sleep,
More binding than the promise of a hero!

Then he springs thrice over the tree and runs [or flies] into the
forest, transformed into a (wolf).

Mind you it may not work, but as with all magick intent is the key, if
you only do it without the conviction of it working, it won't work.
But if your belief is strong enough it'll work. I've ()'d anything
that needs to be changed, with the exception of gender specific stuff.
The []'s are my addition.

[This text can be found in the book, 'The Book of Werewolves' by
Sabine Baring-Gould, which isn't a bad read but very funny in some
parts. And should be added to the FAQ's reading list. It has some good
references to words that apply to Werewolves.]

--- END : REPOST

darkewolf
--
<da...@it.net.au>
<http://home.it.net.au/~darke/>

Sauron656

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
<<On the sea, on the ocean, on the island, on Bujan>>

Anybody else not have a clue as to what Bujan was? Well, I looked. Here's what
I found for anyone interested.(Yes I have too much time)
S656

Koshchei
by George Hager

A symbol of death and magic in Russian mythology, Koshchei the Deathless
(also Kashchej) is a powerful wizard or demigod who gains immortality by
keeping his fiery soul hidden inside an egg. The egg is inside a duck,
which is inside a hare, which is inside an iron chest, which is buried
under a green oak tree, which is located on the island of Bujan on the
wide ocean.
Although he resembles the Grim Reaper in many ways, Koshchei is probably
more symbolic of the reluctance to loosen ones grip on life and pass
gracefully into death. As such, he is a tragic villain with vexations
analogous to Hades or even Vlad Dracula. He is sometimes completely
obliterated by powerful forces, yet his dry, bony body reconstitutes
over and over again until the soul-bearing egg is crushed. At the moment
of destruction, a cleansing fire from the egg envelopes the Earth,
wiping it clean of all its old evil.

He is notorious for kidnapping mothers, wives and maidens, and for
holding them prisoner in his various palaces. He even kidnaps Marena
(Mara, Marya Morevna), the Russian goddess of death, with whom he has a
love-hate relationship. She is his undoing, as she coaxes the location
of his soul from him and passes the information to the hero of the story
(usually a son or husband going by various names: Dazhdbog, Prince Ivan,
Prince Astrach, etc.).

Koshchei's dwelling is beyond thrice-nine countries, in the thirtieth
kingdom, where he is entertained by his captive women and the legendary
self-playing harp. He is credited as the son of Vij (Lord of the
Underground), and is also known for repaying a debt threefold. Koshchei
travels on a war-horse who aids its master with clairvoyance, or else he
journeys alone in the form of a whirlwind.

AdamHunt

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
does that actually work, and if so do you have a choice to shift into a were or
a human at any time you wish? and how is that done?

kamatu

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
AdamHunt wrote:

> does that actually work, and if so do you have a choice to shift into a were or
> a human at any time you wish? and how is that done?

Try it and see.

Ashwolf

Jun 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/28/99
In article <slrn7mnk27...@lilith.it.net.au>,

dark...@cyberpunks.org wrote:
> Posted to alt.horror.werewolves on the 13th of June, 1995 by
myself.
> Reposted today. Thought this might be interesting.
>
> --- BEGIN : REPOST
>
> Russian Shifting Spell

Thats pretty neat! I asked my Russian teacher a while ago if she had
any books on Russian Folklore and myth that I could read...but she said
all the stuff she had was in Russian..and being a first year student
wouldnt understand it. At lkeast I can tell her about this

Ashwolf

'Is all of this merely coincidence, or were the explorations of the
human race carried on the backs of wolves?'
-Brandenburg

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

XRyoMasaki

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
can someone repost this or email me a copy? I seem to have missed it and can't
get it back

ShiningTiger