Words or phrases for werewolves

Jaue

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
Dear fellow weres:

Hi, how are you'all today.

Bonjour, comment ca va aujourd'hui.

How many languages have words or phrases for werewolf, or similar
types of creatures.

We have discussed lycanthropy, and I assume there is an equivalent of
of a woman?

What about Italian?
Or Russian?
Or Swahili?

Anyone want to help create a list of weres in as many languages as we
can.

NOTICE TO SPAMMERS:
ALTHOUGH YOU ARE FREE TO JOIN IN WITH CONSTRUCTIVE ADDITIONS, JERK,
ASSHOLE, DORKFACE, LACK OF SEXUAL SATISFACTIONS AND SIMILAR ADDITIONS
WILL BE IGNORED.

THIS IS YOUR ONLY WARNING.

MY ISP IS ALMOST FINISHED THEIR CHOCOLATS BARS AND THEY WILL BE SOON
WIPING YOUR ELECTRON REAR ENDS AGAINST THE EDGE OF YOUR ISP PROVIDER,
WHOSE SIMILAR ROUGH EDGES MIGHT CAUSE ELECTRONIC BLEEDING WHICH WILL
REQUIRE ELECTRONIC BANDAIDS..

ALL ILLEGAL OR WHAT APPEARS TO BE ILLEGAL OR WHAT APPEARS TO SUPPORT
ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES TYPES OF POSTS WILL BE FORWARDED TO THE FBI.

And that's the truth, <splat, spit, drool, wet grin>

Polenth

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
Jaue <ja...@aracnet.net> murmured mushroomyly:

>Dear fellow weres:
>
>Hi, how are you'all today.
>
>Bonjour, comment ca va aujourd'hui.
>
>How many languages have words or phrases for werewolf, or similar
>types of creatures.
>
>We have discussed lycanthropy, and I assume there is an equivalent of
>of a woman?

No. Lycanthropy is a gender neutral word (remember that half the time
people talk about 'man' and 'men' they mean all humans. Yes, it's overly
ambigous, but people do it all the same).

However, other languages may have a both a feminine and masculine
version of the word. And no, I don't speak any language well enough to
know. I'll look it up in my welsh and latin dictionaries at the weekend
if you'd like. It might be in them.

--
Polenth

http://www.polenth.demon.co.uk/

GoldenWylf

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
En francais, werewolf is Loup Garou, which is masculine. I dunno if that's what
you were looking for but i just thought I'd add that.

Wanderer

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
Jaue wrote in message <36caddc...@news.aracnet.net>...

>Dear fellow weres:
>
>Hi, how are you'all today.
>
>Bonjour, comment ca va aujourd'hui.
>
>How many languages have words or phrases for werewolf, or similar
>types of creatures.

A *lot*!:>

>We have discussed lycanthropy, and I assume there is an equivalent of
>of a woman?

As Polenth pointed out, 'lycanthropy' is a gender-neutral term.

>What about Italian?

"Vrykolakas". However, it also means 'vampire', so ...

>Or Russian?

'Vlkodlak', from 'vulko' (wolf) and 'dlaka' (hair).

>Or Swahili?

Okay, *that* one I don't know.:)

>Anyone want to help create a list of weres in as many languages as we
>can.

In Brittany: "bisclaveret"

In German: "weerwolf"

In French: "loup-garou"

In Spanish: "lobombre" (from "lobo", meaning wolf, and "hombre", meaning
man)

Latin: "versipellis" (turn-skin)

One word I can't put a place to, mentioned in "Lai du Bisclaveret", by Marie
de France: louweerou

Byelorussian: wawkalak (specific type of werewolf)

Anyone else?:)

Yours truly,

The wordwise,

Wanderer**wand...@applink.net
Where am I going?I don't quite know.
What does it matter where people go?
Down to the woods where the bluebells grow.
Anywhere! Anywhere! *I*don't know!

Jaue

Feb 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/20/99
On Fri, 19 Feb 1999 11:01:57 -0600, "Wanderer" <wand...@applink.net>
wrote:

This is our list so far:

Italian = Vrykolakas. However, it also means 'vampire'
Russian = 'Vlkodlak', from 'vulko' (wolf) and 'dlaka' (hair).
Brittany = "bisclaveret"

German: "weerwolf"
In French: "loup-garou"

Spanish = lobombre (lobo = wolf, hombre = man)
Latin = versipellis (turn-skin)

mentioned in "Lai du Bisclaveret", by Marie

de France = louweerou
Byelorussian = wawkalak (specific type of werewolf)

Thanks to Wanderer**wand...@applink.net

Ol' Everhunger

Feb 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/20/99
I _knew_ my data-packrat mentality would pay off eventually! ;1

This list was posted by Scrybild (we miss you!!) almost two years ago.
They're not all thropes, but there are quite a few peppered throughout. =)

---

From: Wendy Hibbs <scry...@psyfur.demon.co.uk>
Newsgroups: alt.horror.werewolves
Subject: The I-spy guide to Werewolfs
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 23:19:53 +0000

Because I was asked nicely by Greywolf, the famous (infamous) borrower
of Zepp's account, to list the werewolf cultural types that were in my
suggested read, I've done so. Please note I have also included vampyres
because they also shift forms according to various cultures. To make
things even more difficult, some werewolves are meant to feed by
draining off energy, which most people associate with vampyres.

The following list is alphabetical with a quick summary of biology,
feeding methods etc.

Alp (German)
A vampyre-incubus or predatory blood-drinking ghost in German lore. An
accomplished shapeshifter the Alp can appear as a bird, cat, pig or dog
and wears a "cap of concealment" (Tarnkappe) which bestows invisibility
and magic powers when worn. From the same Teutonic root as Alf or Elf,
meaning the "Shining White One".

Agriogourouno (Macedonian)
"Wild boar" in Macedonian, a shapeshifting phenomena thought to afflict
Turks who have lead very wicked lives or never have eaten Pork.

Aptrgongumenn (Norse)
Walking dead

Baobhan Sith (Scottish)
Faery-vampyres, appear as young women dressed in green.

Blautsauger (Bosnian / German)
Literally bloodsucker, lurks in deserted burial grounds.

Bleiz-Garv (French)
Cruel wolf (Bretton French)

Broucalaque (see Burculacas )

Bruxsa (Portugese)
A female vampyre witch who can turn herself into a great night-bird.

Burculacas (Greek)
Term used for a vampyre lycanthrope

Cat-witches (European)
In parts of France the witches are always said to assume the form of
large black cats and gather in the old forest of Bonlieu.

Chesme (Turkish)
Vampyre cat spirit associated with springs and lakes

Chovihani (Romani)
Witch that assumes cat form after dusk.

Dachnavar (Armenian)
Spirit thank drinks blood from travellers toes.

Deag-dul (Irish)
Red Blood Sucker, one female is said to dwell in Waterford, if found a
cairn should be built over the grave to stop them wandering.

Doppelsauger (Wendish)
Double sucker, can only return to it's previous dwelling place along the
path it's coffin was carried out. To prevent this the sill of the door
is lifed over the coffin as it leaves the house, and put back in place
after the funeral.

Dhampir (Serbian)
Son of a vampyre and a living woman, said to have shaman like powers and
a boneless rubbery body.

Draugr (Old Norse)
Death walker, zombie type being created by necromancers.

Dschuma (Roumanian)
Witch spirit.

Eretica (Russian)
Woman who has made a pact with the devil, joins in sabbats even after
death.

Frog (European)
A familiar of witches, and a form assumed by vampyres in Wallachian
folklore, particularly red-headed men.

Gairou (Haute Maine)
Werewolf

Garwaf (Norman)
Werewolf in old Normandy

Garwall, Guaroul and Garol (Bretton french)
Werewolf

Gerulphus (Low Latin)
In writings of the middle ages, werewolf

Ghierwolf (Dutch)
Werewolf in some districts of the Neatherlands.

Gorgol (Welsh)
Mediaeval tern, meaning man wolf

Kallikantzaros (Greek)
Aegean, Mainland Greece, Crete and Messenia, "Beautiful Centaurs", semi-
animal demonic creatures, horned black beings with hooves, fangs, talons
and tails.

Kara-kondjiolos (circssian Turkish)
Vampire witches that ride up rooted trees.

Kresnik (Slovanian)
Traditional vampyre slaying shaman, can take the form of boars, horses,
white dogs or bulls.

Krvoijac (Bulgarian)
Vampyre

Kudlak (Slovanian)
Vampyre can take the form of a black boar, horses, hounds or bulls.
Enemy of Kresnik.

Kunanthropos (Greek)
7th century, means "Dog-man"

Lampir (Bosnian)
Vampire

Leannan -Sidhe (Irish)
Faery mistress, lures young men, can assume form of a white deer.

Liderc Nadaly (Hungarian)
Vampyre

Liogat (Albanian)
Defined in 1854 as "Dead turks in winding sheets", mortal enemy, wolves
who tear off the Liogats legs causing them to retire vanquished to the
tomb never to wander again.

Lobishomem ( Portugese)
Or Lobis-Homem, one under an enchantment who occasionally becomes a
wolf. Has a short tail covered in yellow fur. According to the folk
tales the person has a crescent tattoo or mark, they go at night to a
deserted cross roads , spin around windershins five times. They then
fall to the earth and rise up again in wolf form.

Lobombre (Spanish)
Man-wolf in Pyrenees and Cantabrian mountains, humans that have drunk
from lycanthropous streams or come into contact with magical flowers.

Loup Garou (French)
Especially Brittany, sometimes thought to be the illigitimate son of a
priest. Common in 16th and 17th Century France, Jean Grenier case in
1603.

Lupin (French)
Werewolf that hangs around ingraveyards in Normandy howling at the moon.
Also said to gnaw the bones and converse in their own language.

Lupo-mannaro (Italian)
Naples men born on Christmas night are said to be werewolves, and posses
tails. In Sicily any one who sleeps bathed in the light of a full moon
may also become a werewolf, and certain springs are also said to cause
transformations in the Alps.

Meza-Tevs (Latvian)
Forest Father, priest - cheif of werewolf cult, said to drive away the
demons of infertility.

Meneur des Loups (Breton)
Very similar to Meza-Tevs, shapeshifts into a great wolf able to speak.
Can play the bagpipes to charm wolves into following him on moonlit
nights.

Miezvilki (Baltic)
Barley wolves that chase away demons who would steal the fertility of
the land.

Moroii (Roumanian)
Undead, steal beauty and youth as well as blood. Able to shapeshift, but
may also have clawed feet or be lizard like in appearance.

Mullo (Romani)
Spirit double or fetch.

Murony (Wallachian)
Shapeshifting vampyre.

Nachtzehrer (German/Baltic)
Vampyre that assumes the pig shape to raid graveyards.

Nelapsi (Slovakian)
Vampyre with two hearts, basilisk powers of killing with a glance, but
it's powers are stopped by sprinkling poppy seeds around the area.

Neuntoter (German)
Spreads plague and pestilence but incapacitated by placing a lemon in
it's mouth.

Nosferatu (Roumanian)
Indulges in orgies with it's victims, children from the union are ugly
and covered with hair. Appears to brides and grooms and makes them
unable to perform.

Ohyn (Polish)
Vampyre that preys on it's own family by gnawing on it's own flesh after
death.

Pamgri (Hungarian)
Seventeenth century vampyre.

Pijavica (Slovenian)
Vampyre

Prikolotsch (Wallachian)
Also Priculics or Priccolitsch, a werewolf vampire, a wolf coat.

Roggenwulf (Germany)
Rye wolf that steals away unwarey children.

Ruvaush ( Romani-gypsy)
Victim of Romani vampyre witch who is doomed to become a werewolf.
Periodically transform into Wolf-kings larger than the normal wolf.

Sanguisuga (Mediaevil latin)
Blood sucking corpse.

Streghoi (Wallachian)
Night flying vampire witch.

Stregoni Benefici (Italian)
Vampyre slaying sorcerer.

Strigele (Roumanian)
Witch lights

Strigoii (Roumanian)
Vampyre shamans

Strix/ Striga (Roman latin)
Witch that assumes form of a screech owl.

Taxim (Eastern European)
Rotting corpse out to get his own back.

Upir (Russo-slavonic)
Vampyre

Varcolac (Roumanian)
Also Velkudlaka, Vulcolaca, Vukodlak and Varcolac, all meaning Wolf-
Coat. Invoked when women spin at midnight in the moon beams, sweep dust
towards the setting sun or burn a stick they used to stir food.
Varcolacs fall into a trance whilst the fetch travels, the body should
not be moved in case the spirit can not find it's way home.
Can also appear as dark flying dragons and beasts with lots of mouths.

Vjestica (Slavonic)
Succubus witch,has firey wings, partner of lycanthropic Voukodlak, can
assume hyena form.

Varou (Guernsey)
Werewolf linked with the Wild Hunt, heralds violent storms, follows
certain set routes and hidden tunnels between megalithic remains.

Versipellis (Latin)
Skin turner, Pliny mentions the werewolves of Arcadia as being
versippeles, a chosen member of the clan had to swim a lake naked and
assume wolf form for nine years.

Werewulf (Saxon)
Also Gothic Vairavulf, Swedish Warulf, Danish Varulv, Frisian Waerwulf,
Middle Dutch Weerwulf, and Old High German, Werawolf.

11th Century C of E warned against wodfreca werewulfs or "furiously
audacious werewolves" who might attack their spiritual flock.

Zmeu (Moldavian)
Fairy vampyre with no back.

Hope you like the list, as you can gather I've truncated the desciptions
but I think I've typed all the saliant points in.
/\/\ "With warwoolffs and wild cates thy weird be to wander..."
( oo ) ? Alexander Montgomerie 1582
)><( {{
(I I)}} "Yes, please!"
)I__I}} Scrybild 1997

--
Spyder -- <spy...@xmission.com> <http://www.xmission.com/~spyder>
"If men can run the world, why can't they stop

Greg00769

Feb 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/20/99
a cajun dialect derivative of loup-garou is loogaroo. Greg

KatmanDu!

Feb 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/21/99

Here's a few more, from the resource FAQ (some duplicates):

werewolf- English
werwolf- German
Loup Garou- French
Oberroten- Russian
WeerWolf- Dutch
Varulv- Swedish
Mactire- Irish (pronounced Mactira)
Okami Otoko- Japenese
Shungmanitu Wicasa- Native American (one who is wolf)
This is a list of some of the names by which my clan (wendigo) goes in
the Northeastern American continent. I thought it might be fun to
share:
weendigo weeghtako weeghteko weendago weendegoag
weendigo weetego weetigo wee tee go wehndigo
wehtigo wendago wendigo wenigo wightigo
wiitiko windago windagoe windagoo windego
wi'ndigo windikouk wintego wintigo wi'ntsigo
wintsigo wi'tigo witigo witiko wittako
and wittikka
and then there are some that ignore the `w' sound altogether...
atcen atschen sheno djenu kokodhem
outiko and vinkiko

--
Anti-Spam: Remove the !'s from the address to reply
katmandu!@negia.net * Theriomorph at large * http://www.negia.net/~katmandu

Timberwolf

Feb 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/23/99

>This is our list so far:
>
>Italian = Vrykolakas. However, it also means 'vampire'
>Russian = 'Vlkodlak', from 'vulko' (wolf) and 'dlaka' (hair).
>Brittany = "bisclaveret"
>German: "weerwolf"
>In French: "loup-garou"
> Spanish = lobombre (lobo = wolf, hombre = man)
>Latin = versipellis (turn-skin)
> mentioned in "Lai du Bisclaveret", by Marie
>de France = louweerou
>Byelorussian = wawkalak (specific type of werewolf)
>
>Thanks to Wanderer**wand...@applink.net

Most interesting post on werewolves I seen, It is interest in seeing what
other cultures call a werewolf and other were-animals. There is history in
each nationality that refers back to the spirits of the nights.

Thanks for the information on this post.

As always
Timberwolf,

The ear hears the call of the night,
and the spirit from with in responds....
aaaarrrrrooooooooo!

Mags The Axe

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99

>>On Fri, 19 Feb 1999 11:01:57 -0600, "Wanderer" <wand...@applink.net>
>>wrote:
>>

>>This is our list so far:
>>
>>Italian = Vrykolakas. However, it also means 'vampire'
>>Russian = 'Vlkodlak', from 'vulko' (wolf) and 'dlaka' (hair).
>>Brittany = "bisclaveret"
>>German: "weerwolf"
>>In French: "loup-garou"
>> Spanish = lobombre (lobo = wolf, hombre = man)
>>Latin = versipellis (turn-skin)
>> mentioned in "Lai du Bisclaveret", by Marie
>>de France = louweerou
>>Byelorussian = wawkalak (specific type of werewolf)

What 'type' of werewolf is a wawkalak?

Mags the Axe

Wanderer

Feb 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/26/99
Mags The Axe wrote in message <7b21tb$m...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...

(my stuff snipped)

>What 'type' of werewolf is a wawkalak?

In Byelorussian legends, a wawkalak is someone who insulted the devil, and
has been transformed into a wolf that can never spend more than one night in
the same place, driven on by an urgent need to travel (on the plus side,
they're somehow recognizable to their friends and family).

Yours with many books,

The ever-reading,

Mags The Axe

Feb 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/28/99
Thanks for clearing that up for me, Wanderer!

Wanderer <wand...@applink.net> wrote in message

J°nWoŁf

Feb 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/28/99

KatmanDu! wrote in message <36cfddf2...@snews.negia.net>...

>On Sat, 20 Feb 1999 15:04:45 GMT, ja...@aracnet.net (Jaue) wrote:
>
>>Thanks to Wanderer**wand...@applink.net
>>
>Here's a few more, from the resource FAQ (some duplicates):
>
>werewolf- English
>werwolf- German
>Loup Garou- French
>Oberroten- Russian
>WeerWolf- Dutch
>Varulv- Swedish
>Mactire- Irish (pronounced Mactira)
>Okami Otoko- Japenese
>Shungmanitu Wicasa- Native American (one who is wolf)
>This is a list of some of the names by which my clan (wendigo) goes in
>the Northeastern American continent. I thought it might be fun to
>share:
>weendigo weeghtako weeghteko weendago weendegoag
>weendigo weetego weetigo wee tee go wehndigo
>wehtigo wendago wendigo wenigo wightigo
>wiitiko windago windagoe windagoo windego
>wi'ndigo windikouk wintego wintigo wi'ntsigo
>wintsigo wi'tigo witigo witiko wittako
>and wittikka
>and then there are some that ignore the `w' sound altogether...
>atcen atschen sheno djenu kokodhem
>outiko and vinkiko

Jon here,

Isn't the Wendigo more of a were-bear? How much of the legend about it
being a curse on anyone who eats the flesh of a human, is true?
Later...

Ol' Everhunger

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
In article <7bd1th$vp8$1...@camel25.mindspring.com>, "J°nWoŁf"
<wol...@mindspring.com> wrote:

=> Isn't the Wendigo more of a were-bear? How much of the legend about it
=> being a curse on anyone who eats the flesh of a human, is true?

Nope. =) We're a beast of a different nature than other were-animals.
More like very close cousins to "normal" weres.

Spyder -- <Spyder at XMission dot Com> <icq://7201104>
<http://www.xmission.com/~spyder>

C o m f o r t B r e e d s C o m p l a c e n c y