Other lycanthropes?

jason yaskoir

Dec 10, 1993, 8:04:41 AM12/10/93
Can only were-WOLVES post here or are other lycanthropes welcome too?
paradoxicus

o'donnell lisa lynn

Dec 10, 1993, 5:16:20 PM12/10/93
jason yaskoir (par...@dorsai.dorsai.org) wrote:
: Can only were-WOLVES post here or are other lycanthropes welcome too?
: paradoxicus

Well, we've already got a werebat, a weretiger, and a weredragon as
well as us werewolves.

N'other words... post, and be welcome here.

Lisa
(BTW, a believe the term 'lycanthrope' refers only to werewolves
and not to other werebeasts... but I knew what you meant.)
--
|\_/| Lisa O'Donnell
/@ @\ Wake Forest University

Brent Hughes

Dec 11, 1993, 12:58:39 AM12/11/93
> : Can only were-WOLVES post here or are other lycanthropes welcome too?
> : paradoxicus
>
> Well, we've already got a werebat, a weretiger, and a weredragon as
> well as us werewolves.
>
> N'other words... post, and be welcome here.

Add to that a were-panther wannabe, and somebody else mentioned a were-cougar.

By the way, how do were-'felines' react to were-'canines' and vice versa. One
would think that werewolves would be intelligent enough not to try and
stupidly chase a were-cat around (but it might be amusing.. for both parties
involved!).

> Lisa
> (BTW, a believe the term 'lycanthrope' refers only to werewolves
> and not to other werebeasts... but I knew what you meant.)

Are you sure about that? I though lycanthrope referred to all werebeasts
(though I certainly could be wrong).

Autumnal Equinox
Half way between the longest day of the year and the shortest
It's the middlest day of the year.
And it feels like it.
-Red Green

Brent Hughes
bhu...@sms.business.uwo.ca

Elfchief's lifemate

Dec 11, 1993, 11:27:49 AM12/11/93

Regarding how were'felines' react to were'canines'...

According to White Wolf and the Werewolf:Players' Guide (yah, I
know, this is /really the place for it, but the question did come up,
so... :) ) Bastet (were-kitties) aren't particularly all that fond of
Garou. They mirror the stereotype of the 'classic cat'.. sleek, graceful,
snobbish, with a
'if you don't want to treat me with the respect I deserve, then,
I'll just
ignore you and you can deal'
attitude.

They think of the Garou as uncivilized and uncouth, and firmly believe
that they are 'above' the 'puppies'. (I don't want to get in a flame fes
t, just relaying an attitde, sorry ).

All in all, they do their best to stay away from the Garou, and
according to the same source, the Garou feel about the same way about
them. They are too high and mighty for their own good, have no morals
(they even sleep with other Bastet *gasp*) and are basically nothing more
than a pain in the rear.

'Course, that doesn't mean they won't help one another ot if it's
/absolutely/ necessary, but.....they won't enjoy it.

-Walker

Brent Hughes

Dec 12, 1993, 1:23:36 AM12/12/93
> Regarding how were'felines' react to were'canines'...
>
> According to White Wolf and the Werewolf:Players' Guide (yah, I
> know, this is /really the place for it, but the question did come up,
> so... :) ) Bastet (were-kitties) aren't particularly all that fond of
> Garou. They mirror the stereotype of the 'classic cat'.. sleek, graceful,
> snobbish, with a
> 'if you don't want to treat me with the respect I deserve, then,
> I'll just
> ignore you and you can deal'
> attitude.

Heh. I like them even more now. I don't think I'm too snobbish, though I do
like the sleek and graceful part. ;-) Cats also have such a good sense of
humour too, and I've seen many of them play tricks on unsuspecting dogs. I
think I'll go hang out in a tree somewhere and wait for an unsuspecting
werewolf to wander by...

> They think of the Garou as uncivilized and uncouth, and firmly believe
> that they are 'above' the 'puppies'. (I don't want to get in a flame fes
> t, just relaying an attitde, sorry ).

No problem. IMHO, cats _are_ better than dogs. (uh oh! Better watch that
statement!). If I didn't think that, why would I prefer panthers to wolves...

> All in all, they do their best to stay away from the Garou, and
> according to the same source, the Garou feel about the same way about
> them. They are too high and mighty for their own good, have no morals
> (they even sleep with other Bastet *gasp*) and are basically nothing more
> than a pain in the rear.

Terrible, terrible! They sleep with other Bastet?? Did I mention that my
girlfriend relates to were-panthers as well?

Ironically, after I posted my little question about were'felines', I had a
dream about being a panther. I remember wrestling with another panther,
in a friendly sort of way, and trying to catch a turtle, but the rest is kind
of hazy. When I told my girlfriend, she got a look of shock on her face and
she said that she too dreamed about being a panther, but her dream was totally
different. :( I thought it was cool anyways.

Ron Cass Poirier

Dec 12, 1993, 7:22:37 AM12/12/93
In article <2e9s5a$5...@donal.dorsai.org> par...@dorsai.dorsai.org (jason
yaskoir) writes:
> Can only were-WOLVES post here or are other lycanthropes welcome too?
> paradoxicus

I say, the more the merrier - but then, I'm a werebat, so I guess
that would sort of make sense, in a way...
By my counting, there are several phenotypes of lycanthrope (Been
reading Van Richten's Guide to the Werebeast...) skulking about, including
myself, a weretiger, a werepanther, and just recently perhaps a
(were?)dragon. What species are you? I'd be interested to meet a
wereskunk someday...
Van Richten's Guide to the Werebeast (AD&D supplement) states that
lycanthropes come in many species but are limited to those that are
carnivorous or at least omnivorous (i.e. they must be able to eat meat).
Thus, no werebunnies, werecows, weredeer, etc. Not sure exactl how I feel
about that, I could see it either way, but an interesting point anyway.
What would a weredeer get off on, anyway, evading predators? Sheesh.
(Though I think I dated a weremouse once - sigh, the bat and the
mouse, just another case of starcross...)
Anyway, to answer your question, I think most of the pack here
have been pretty good-natured towards my own Chiropteran tendencies, so
they'd probably be pretty good-natured toward yourself. Just let them
sniff you first.

- Ron P. ^*^

<HISSSS!! squeak!>

Graham Brown

Dec 12, 1993, 7:09:53 AM12/12/93

> By the way, how do were-'felines' react to were-'canines' and vice versa. One
> would think that werewolves would be intelligent enough not to try and
> stupidly chase a were-cat around (but it might be amusing.. for both parties
> involved!).

I for one don't fancy chasing a 250 lb "tabby" up a tree.

Graham.

KATM...@uga.cc.uga.edu

Dec 13, 1993, 6:33:03 AM12/13/93
In article <2e9s5a$5...@donal.dorsai.org>
par...@dorsai.dorsai.org (jason yaskoir) writes:

>Can only were-WOLVES post here or are other lycanthropes welcome too?
>paradoxicus

Well, judging from all the were-whatever threads floating around, I'd say
other shape-shifting beasties are welcome.

Graham Brown

Dec 13, 1993, 9:45:08 AM12/13/93
In article <2ef2e...@dns1.NMSU.Edu>, rpoirier@kirk (Ron Cass Poirier) writes:
> In article <2e9s5a$5...@donal.dorsai.org> par...@dorsai.dorsai.org (jason
> yaskoir) writes:
> > Can only were-WOLVES post here or are other lycanthropes welcome too?
> > paradoxicus

Well I am a were sheep really ,baaaahhhhh, see.
No this isn't an arran sweater, its the real thing. So if you happen to
be a were sheep too then maybe we could "meat" for a meal.

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

<cough>

I mean , baaahhh.

Graham.

P.S. I'll bring the mint.
P.P.S <Lisa, nudge>

Moss A D

Dec 13, 1993, 3:52:17 PM12/13/93

Oh, that's NOTHING.

I'm a werehuman.

=)

Adam.
Adam Moss mos...@essex.ac.uk
"A smartass once accused me of being subtle. I decked him with a short
right over the heart and and elbow in the trachea." - Harlan Ellison

o'donnell lisa lynn

Dec 13, 1993, 6:17:43 PM12/13/93
Graham Brown (g...@dcs.ed.ac.uk) wrote:

: Well I am a were sheep really ,baaaahhhhh, see.

: No this isn't an arran sweater, its the real thing. So if you happen to
: be a were sheep too then maybe we could "meat" for a meal.

... werecows, wererabbits, weremice, and werehamsters are also
welcome. <grin sluuurp!>

: P.S. I'll bring the mint.
: P.P.S <Lisa, nudge>
<wink wink saynomore saynomore>
--
Lisa O'Donnell (a frustrated werewolf)
odon...@ac.wfunet.wfu.edu

"...and I'm not the only dust my mother raised." - TMBG

Ron Cass Poirier

Dec 14, 1993, 1:03:11 AM12/14/93

What's WW:TA say about Werebats, by the way? Anything? I know
they are mentioned as living in the South Americas at least once in the
version I read...

- Ron P. ^*^

(Were-ARMADILLOS???)

Timothy Fay

Dec 14, 1993, 1:01:48 PM12/14/93
Ron Cass Poirier (rpoirier@kirk) wrote:
> Van Richten's Guide to the Werebeast (AD&D supplement) states that
>lycanthropes come in many species but are limited to those that are
>carnivorous or at least omnivorous (i.e. they must be able to eat meat).
>Thus, no werebunnies, werecows, weredeer, etc.

The legends of many cultures abound in stories about people becoming
different kinds of animals. In China and Japan, there are were-foxes
and were-deer. In Australia there are tales of the Dream Time, when
men could become kangaroos and other animals, and vice versa. Shape-
shifting is not limited to certain kinds of animals (but what did you
expect from a D&D book?).

>What would a weredeer get off on, anyway, evading predators? Sheesh.

Don't knock it until you've tried it... :-)

--
Reply to: ava...@wings.micro.umn.edu
fayx...@maroon.tc.umn.edu

"My mental facilities are TWICE what yours are -- you pea brain!"
-Percival McLeach

Moss A D

Dec 15, 1993, 12:33:21 PM12/15/93
In article <CI1EC...@news2.cis.umn.edu> ava...@wings.micro.umn.edu (Timothy Fay) writes:
[..]

| The legends of many cultures abound in stories about people becoming
| different kinds of animals. In China and Japan, there are were-foxes
^^^^^^^^^^

Huzzah!!!

Adam.
Adam Moss mos...@essex.ac.uk
"A smartass once accused me of being subtle. I decked him with a short

right over the heart and an elbow in the trachea." - Harlan Ellison

o'donnell lisa lynn

Dec 15, 1993, 4:03:35 PM12/15/93
Moss A D (mos...@sunlab40.sx.ac.uk) wrote:

: What happened to your wonderful wolf .sig???

Change called, and thus a new .sig was born.... though the old may
return, in cyclic fashion.

Lisa
("I wonder if that made any sense......")
--
Lisa O'Donnell (a werewolf)

Moss A D

Dec 14, 1993, 6:04:31 AM12/14/93
In article <2eit6n$n...@quad.wfunet.wfu.edu> odon...@ac.wfu.edu (o'donnell lisa lynn) writes:

| --
| Lisa O'Donnell (a frustrated werewolf)
| odon...@ac.wfunet.wfu.edu
|
| "...and I'm not the only dust my mother raised." - TMBG

Lisa!

What happened to your wonderful wolf .sig???

Howls -
Adam.

(Missing Lisa's .sig)

Adam Moss mos...@essex.ac.uk
"A smartass once accused me of being subtle. I decked him with a short

right over the heart and and elbow in the trachea." - Harlan Ellison

Miles Arbogast

Dec 17, 1993, 12:24:11 AM12/17/93
lynn) writes:

> .... werecows, wererabbits, weremice, and werehamsters are also
> welcome. <grin sluuurp!>

The lurker speaks...
Werehamsters, wererabbits, weremice...
sounds good. If their small enough they'd be the perfect perpetual
food source. Think about it. Eat one.Guarantee slow digestion. Get
all your nutrients. Swallow alot of air. It'd last a few days.
I could see the market potential.

<burp, damn hairballs>
Sorry.

My form is a huge wolf, big and tall. Black fur on my back,
fading to a salt-and-pepper gray on my sides and legs, and a white
belly and throat. My eyes are a rust brown and are hard to see into.

I first saw myself this way on a peyote induced vision quest. I was
standing in a forest alternating between puking and howling, while
watching a huge spirit wolf run *through* the trees and then run into
me and become part of me. Unfortunately, all of my transformations
have only been mental and not physical.

Wolf-that-Walks-Like-the-Bear
marb...@onyx.mines.colo.edu
NeXT mail

The Concerned Illithid

Dec 19, 1993, 10:07:08 PM12/19/93
Re: Re: Other lycanthropes?

> Regarding how were'felines' react to were'canines'...
> According to White Wolf and the Werewolf:Players' Guide (yah, I
> know, this is /really the place for it, but the question did come up,
> so... :) ) Bastet (were-kitties) aren't particularly all that fond of
> Garou. They mirror the stereotype of the 'classic cat'.. sleek, graceful,
> snobbish, with a
> 'if you don't want to treat me with the respect I deserve, then,
> I'll just
> ignore you and you can deal'
> attitude.
> All in all, they do their best to stay away from the Garou, and
> according to the same source, the Garou feel about the same way about
> them. They are too high and mighty for their own good, have no morals
> (they even sleep with other Bastet *gasp*) and are basically nothing more
> than a pain in the rear.

Well, then, what are the opinions of the other (Non-Garou) weres towards
Kindred (That's vampires, for all you non-gamer types) and such?

Oh - I looked it up. the dictionary defined "Lycanthrope" as "Having
Lycanthropy"... Sheesh. "Lycanthropy" came up as "Beleiving one is able to
become a wolf"

Well, drat. We'll need a new word for the other Weres here...

A Concerned Illithid

ษอออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออป
ณ multi-node VBBS Lord Melkor's Domain (203)-322-9447 Ct ณ
ำอออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออผ

Elfchief's lifemate

Dec 22, 1993, 5:29:54 PM12/22/93

Speaking for the were'kitties' as is my wont.. :)

Bastet aren't any more fond of vampires than the Garou are, as they (the
Bastet) are still children of Gaia and fight to protect Her. However,
they nderstand more about the workings of human society as hthey are
incurably curious and investigate everything and anything, especially
things that may be a benefit for themselves.

In other words, Baster will work with Kindred if they deem it
advantageous to themselves and see some reason to favor an alliance with
them. For which, again,alot of the Garou don't think to highly of them.

-Walker

Lucas Ehler

Dec 30, 1993, 11:28:17 AM12/30/93
The Concerned Illithid (conc...@melkor.com) wrote:
: Oh - I looked it up. the dictionary defined "Lycanthrope" as "Having

: Lycanthropy"... Sheesh. "Lycanthropy" came up as "Beleiving one is able to
: become a wolf"

: Well, drat. We'll need a new word for the other Weres here...

How's about shape-shifters? Sorta obvious, yet simple and honest, I give it
a 42, Dick. It's got a good beat, and I can really dance to it...

" I came back from Ohio, but my sanity was gone."
-The Pretenders (Ok, well not QUITE a quote...but close...)

Mark Phaedrus

Dec 30, 1993, 1:36:07 PM12/30/93
In article <2fuvj1$n...@news.bu.edu>, Lucas Ehler <luke...@bu.edu> wrote:
>The Concerned Illithid (conc...@melkor.com) wrote:
>: Oh - I looked it up. the dictionary defined "Lycanthrope" as "Having
>: Lycanthropy"... Sheesh. "Lycanthropy" came up as "Beleiving one is able to
>: become a wolf"
>: Well, drat. We'll need a new word for the other Weres here...
>How's about shape-shifters? Sorta obvious, yet simple and honest, I give it
>a 42, Dick. It's got a good beat, and I can really dance to it...

But "shapeshifters" covers too much ground; heck, any decent mage is a
shapeshifter...
"Theriomorphs" is the word I've heard used to describe the general class
of werecritters.

--
\o\ Internet: phae...@halcyon.com (Seattle, WA Public Access Unix) \o\
\o\ "How'd you like to move a few steps down the food chain, pal?" \o\

Mitchell J. Gross

Dec 30, 1993, 3:22:10 PM12/30/93
In article <2fv72n$2...@nwfocus.wa.com>,

Mark Phaedrus <phae...@halcyon.com> wrote:
>--
>\o\ Internet: phae...@halcyon.com (Seattle, WA Public Access Unix) \o\
> \o\ "How'd you like to move a few steps down the food chain, pal?" \o\
> \o\ If you're interested in the Magic card game, furry/anthromorphic art,\o\
> \o\ or books/stories with transformation themes, finger me for more info!\o

WARNING: Do NOT... I repeat... do NOT finger Mr. Phaedrus's account, unless you
are prepared to read an absolutely HUGE listing of Magic: The Gathering cards.

I made that mistake... whimper.

This has been a public service announcement... :^)

+ Mitchell J. Gross + "Live Dull, & Think WHY BOTHER +
| "Victor Montesque" (Elder) | & Leave a Note Saying Goodbye." |
| House of the Crescent Moon | >> Dr...@City.of.Darkness << |
| THE CAMARILLA (Boston Chapter) | >> Anarky@The,Damned << |
| a vampire fan association | >> Howls.With.Laughter@Garou << |
+ m...@biosun.harvard.edu + >> Gordon.Dover@Awakening << +

Mark Phaedrus

Dec 30, 1993, 10:32:48 PM12/30/93
In article <2fvd9i$6...@biosun.harvard.edu>, m...@biosun.harvard.edu
(Mitchell J. Gross) wrote:

> WARNING: Do NOT... I repeat... do NOT finger Mr. Phaedrus's account, unless you
> are prepared to read an absolutely HUGE listing of Magic: The Gathering cards.
> I made that mistake... whimper.
> This has been a public service announcement... :^)

Well, geez, thank you very much. Maybe the new version will satisfy
you a bit better, hmm, Mr. Cheer? You could at least have picked on
something obvious, like my misspelling "anthropomorphic"... :)

--
\o\Internet: phae...@halcyon.com (Seattle, WA Public Access Unix)\o\
\o\ "How'd you like to move a few steps down the food chain, pal?" \o\

\o\ If you're interested in books/stories with transformation \o\
\o\themes, or in furry/anthropomorphic art, email me, or anonymous-\o\
\o\ftp to ftp.halcyon.com and check the /local/phaedrus directory. \o\

Mitchell J. Gross

Dec 31, 1993, 4:25:46 AM12/31/93
In article <phaedrus-3...@bellevue-ip11.halcyon.com>,

Mark Phaedrus <phae...@halcyon.com> wrote:
> Well, geez, thank you very much. Maybe the new version will satisfy
>you a bit better, hmm, Mr. Cheer? You could at least have picked on
>something obvious, like my misspelling "anthropomorphic"... :)

Sorry, I was just kidding around. I seriously almost went into cardiac
arrest when that list scrolled across my screen... It kept going... and
going... and... *slaps himself*

Sorry. I am better now. *smiles*

Sheesh. I guess I am gonna have to check out this card game thing. :^)

(YES. That means I have not even looked at it yet, much less bought a pack!)

Timothy Fay

Jan 5, 1994, 5:43:55 AM1/5/94
Mark Phaedrus (phae...@halcyon.com) wrote:

> But "shapeshifters" covers too much ground; heck, any decent mage is a
>shapeshifter...
> "Theriomorphs" is the word I've heard used to describe the general class
>of werecritters.

But wouldn't 'theriomorph' describe a creature that is simply part animal?
I think the term 'metamorph' is perhaps more accurate in describing a person
(or thing) that can transform into something else (e.g., 'cervine metamorph'
for were-deer, though I think the term 'shape-shifter' is okay, too :) ).

Paula Marie Bailey

Jan 5, 1994, 7:51:32 AM1/5/94
ava...@wings.micro.umn.edu (Timothy Fay) writes:

>Mark Phaedrus (phae...@halcyon.com) wrote:
>>
>> But "shapeshifters" covers too much ground; heck, any decent mage is a
>>shapeshifter...
>> "Theriomorphs" is the word I've heard used to describe the general class
>>of werecritters.

>But wouldn't 'theriomorph' describe a creature that is simply part animal?
>I think the term 'metamorph' is perhaps more accurate in describing a person
>(or thing) that can transform into something else (e.g., 'cervine metamorph'
>for were-deer, though I think the term 'shape-shifter' is okay, too :) ).

Of course, that definition would also work for shapeshifters in Crinos
(or equivalent) form, as well as some types of shapeshifters (windigowak,
etc.)

BUT....I feel that a generic term for shapeshifters of all types is needed.
(Let's face it, for some shapeshifters there _is_ no general concensus
just _where_ they belong. Windigowak (_real_ windigowak, _not_ the clan)
have been classified as primate, canine, and feline (the latter is most
likely IMHO for reasons I won't get into at present), for example.)

Personally, I like either metamorph (theriomorph for those of us who
still show some of our animal nature) or shapeshifter.

(I wonder if one has ever attempted to do a classification of all metamorphic
beings, shapeshifters as well as theriomorphic beings...)

--
-Windigo The Feral (NYAR!)
"Nobody invented the Internet. It just _happened_."

Richard M. Romanowski

Jan 5, 1994, 11:01:50 AM1/5/94
ava...@wings.micro.umn.edu (Timothy Fay) writes:

>Mark Phaedrus (phae...@halcyon.com) wrote:
>>
>> But "shapeshifters" covers too much ground; heck, any decent mage is a
>>shapeshifter...
>> "Theriomorphs" is the word I've heard used to describe the general class
>>of werecritters.

>But wouldn't 'theriomorph' describe a creature that is simply part animal?
>I think the term 'metamorph' is perhaps more accurate in describing a person
>(or thing) that can transform into something else (e.g., 'cervine metamorph'
>for were-deer, though I think the term 'shape-shifter' is okay, too :) ).

Actually Gary Larson is a bovine metamorph. A were-cow.

> "My mental facilities are TWICE what yours are -- you pea brain!"
> -Percival McLeach

"I have extensive files." -T2