C'tulu or Cthulu

Michael Cripps

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
I wondered if anyone could clear up a misunderstanding I've always had.
The Necronomicon speaks of both a Cthulu and a "C'tulu." What are the
differences between the two, if any. Thanx.

DimCarcosa

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
It is Cthulhu. Whoever knows what the Nec. says isn't talking (anymore).

KAYVEN

Jan 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/6/96
In article <4cd7ef$6...@nntp.ucs.ubc.ca>, mcr...@unixg.ubc.ca (Michael
Cripps) writes:

Well it has been a couple of years since I opened up the Necronomicon and
even then I was interrupted by the Rare Book Dept. staff once they
discovered that my Harvard library card was fake. So I don't remember
this distinction being made, but it is quite possible that the
Necronomicon makes the same point as Ludvig Prinn's De Vermis Mysteriis.
Prinn, when describing his arrival in Chorazin, makes the point that "the
Great Old One, Cthulhu, who is trapped beneath the waves yet has a power
over men's minds during slumber, can only affect the world through its
Will. A Will that has the power of movement without body and the ability
to create visions within mind." Prinn later goes on to call this Will of
Cthulhu, the Chorazin and describes how the city of Chorazin named itself
after this Will. An interesting read but not relevant to your question.
Anyway, maybe the Necronomicon simply calls the Chorazin by the name
C'tulu. Hope this helps.

:> :> :> :> :> :> :> :> :> :> :>
:>

speedw...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2018, 12:13:56 PM12/8/18
On Wednesday, 3 January 1996 16:00:00 UTC+8, Michael Cripps wrote:
> I wondered if anyone could clear up a misunderstanding I've always had.
> The Necronomicon speaks of both a Cthulu and a "C'tulu." What are the
> differences between the two, if any. Thanx.

It's possible that Lovecraft intended Cthulhu to be pronounced "C'tulu", or "Kuh-TUH-hoo-loo". If this is the case, then C'tulu would simply be a homonym for Cthulhu.

W. H. Pugmire, Esq.

Dec 14, 2018, 2:04:22 AM12/14/18
On Wednesday, January 3, 1996 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Michael Cripps wrote:
> I wondered if anyone could clear up a misunderstanding I've always had.
> The Necronomicon speaks of both a Cthulu and a "C'tulu." What are the
> differences between the two, if any. Thanx.

Donald Wandrei wrote somewhere, or told someone who repeated it, that he mentioned the Great Old One to HPL when they visited together and pronounced the name as "Kah-thoo-lu" as moft persons now pronounce it, and Loveraft looked at Wandrei in confusion and then corrected him by pronouncing the name similar to "Khlu-lhu".

thang ornerythinchus

Dec 18, 2018, 6:39:15 AM12/18/18
Careful. Get it right and who knows what will happen!

---

Pinku Basudei

Mar 2, 2019, 4:11:28 PM3/2/19
On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 04:57:10 +0000 (UTC)
Anson Carmichael <noemai...@example.com> wrote:

> I take this to mean that it doesn't entirely matter as long as people know
> what is being referred to.

I like how you think :)

--

/ Pinku

blackw...@gmail.com

May 7, 2020, 12:06:21 AM5/7/20
On Wednesday, January 3, 1996 at 8:00:00 AM UTC, Michael Cripps wrote:
> I wondered if anyone could clear up a misunderstanding I've always had.
> The Necronomicon speaks of both a Cthulu and a "C'tulu." What are the
> differences between the two, if any. Thanx.

At least you didn't say "Klu-lu"

Pinku Basudei

May 21, 2020, 2:24:06 AM5/21/20
Perhaps you should pay more attention to dates? You are replying to a 24 year old message. That's cool but I wouldn't count on a reply.

--

/ Pinku

amanu...@gmail.com

Jun 4, 2020, 11:37:15 AM6/4/20
It is an alien language, cthulhu is pronounced kethurru.

Kevin Gidusko

Jun 4, 2020, 6:50:08 PM6/4/20
What is time when we ruminate on Cthulhu?

blackw...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2020, 1:56:05 AM6/6/20
Time only exists to those that pay attention to it.

Pinku Basudei

Jun 7, 2020, 4:02:32 AM6/7/20
On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 22:56:03 -0700 (PDT)
"blackw...@gmail.com" <blackw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Time only exists to those that pay attention to it.

True, Cthulhu does not care. The cultist that wrote the OP quit college and grew a belly and a mortgage.

--

/ Pinku