A Rebuttal to "Secret Sun" on Lovecraft

Bobby Dee

Aug 12, 2014, 8:50:44 PM8/12/14
Okay, so a couple days back Chris Knowles on his blog Secret Sun posted this huge quasi-academic rant supposedly showing Lovecraft plagiarized an obscure Theosophist. I smelled bullshit and didn't look any further into it, but it got a bunch of hits and people were spouting stupid stuff on social media, so I looked...and well, it's a well of misinformation, conspiracy theories, character assassination, and quote mining out of context. Which seems to be Knowles' specialty. Anyway, I posted a very long, tedious, point-by-point rebuttal, hopefully to just stem the tide of crap. We'll see how it goes.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Lovecraft/comments/2ddiqe/a_rebuttal_to_the_secret_sun_on_lovecraft/

Ramsey Campbell

Aug 13, 2014, 8:39:19 AM8/13/14
On Wednesday, 13 August 2014 01:50:44 UTC+1, Bobby Dee wrote:
> Okay, so a couple days back Chris Knowles on his blog Secret Sun posted this huge quasi-academic rant supposedly showing Lovecraft plagiarized an obscure Theosophist. I smelled bullshit and didn't look any further into it, but it got a bunch of hits and people were spouting stupid stuff on social media, so I looked...and well, it's a well of misinformation, conspiracy theories, character assassination, and quote mining out of context. Which seems to be Knowles' specialty. Anyway, I posted a very long, tedious, point-by-point rebuttal, hopefully to just stem the tide of crap. We'll see how it goes.

Not tedious at all! Finely argued!
> http://www.reddit.com/r/Lovecraft/comments/2ddiqe/a_rebuttal_to_the_secret_sun_on_lovecraft/

Bobby Dee

Aug 13, 2014, 4:33:03 PM8/13/14
One day, my nerd rage shall get me in trouble. One day.

dragonhaven...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2017, 1:06:04 PM12/19/17
On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 at 6:50:44 PM UTC-6, Bobby Dee wrote:
> Okay, so a couple days back Chris Knowles on his blog Secret Sun posted this huge quasi-academic rant supposedly showing Lovecraft plagiarized an obscure Theosophist. I smelled bullshit and didn't look any further into it, but it got a bunch of hits and people were spouting stupid stuff on social media, so I looked...and well, it's a well of misinformation, conspiracy theories, character assassination, and quote mining out of context. Which seems to be Knowles' specialty. Anyway, I posted a very long, tedious, point-by-point rebuttal, hopefully to just stem the tide of crap. We'll see how it goes.
>
> http://www.reddit.com/r/Lovecraft/comments/2ddiqe/a_rebuttal_to_the_secret_sun_on_lovecraft/

This was a lot of fun! Know it's been a while since you did this, but well done! Thanks.

blackw...@gmail.com

May 7, 2020, 12:14:16 AM5/7/20
On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 at 8:33:03 PM UTC, Bobby Dee wrote:
> One day, my nerd rage shall get me in trouble. One day.

In the meantime, it makes you interesting.