Mythos Slown Down?

W. H. Pugmire, Esq.

May 16, 2017, 2:57:41 PM5/16/17
Over ye years I have read online complaints about how there are too many Cthulhu Mythos anthologies being publish'd to-day. I haven't really noticed that this is so, perhaps because I rarely read modern Mythos fiction and ye only time I see such books is when I am included in ye Contents and gets me a cont. copy. I haven't noticed that there are many new anthologies at all, and I was hoping that some of you here could clue me in as to what's newly publish'd or forthcoming. My suspicion is that such books are coming from small press/specialty houses and not major publishers such as Tor and Del Rey. I did get THE CHILDREN OF GLA'AKI, edited by Brian M. Sammons & Glynn Owen Barrass, and rather enjoy'd ye stories therein (whereas my soul-bro S. T. Joshi thought it a lousy book and has written a scathing review...). What I really liked about the Gla'aki anthology is that is consisted of all-new stories (with ye exception of Ramsey's own original tale). Another new book is THE RED BRAIN: GREAT TALES OF THE CTHULHU MYTHOS, edited by S. T. for Dark Regions Press. Chris Morey, at DRP, has started a kickstarter thingie ( don't know if we are allow'd to post links to kickstarters here...), and if he gets an outpouring of pre-orders by this Friday my own story in the book, "Pickman's Lazarus," will be illustrated.

I confess that I still love writing Mythos fiction. I don't know if there is anything "new" to offer in that genre, but who cares? Ye Mythos is a genre where much of the fun is playing in a secure literary tradition. Such tales probably have a slim readership, cos ye need to be "in on ye game" to fully comprehend what's going on, get the clues and references &c. I hope to begin work on a new Mythos collection before this year expires.

blackw...@gmail.com

Aug 28, 2020, 4:02:56 PM8/28/20
You were indeed a great one, and created a mythology that stood on it's own feet even within the Cthulhu-Mythos.