Correct pronunciation of Tag-Heuer?

lee...@aol.com

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

I've heard a lot of different pronunciations of Tag-Heuer. Which is correct?
Is it 'tag' as in price 'tag' or 'tog' as in...well... 'tog'. Also, I've
heard Heuer pronounced 'hyour' and also 'hoyer' (and on rare occasions,
'whore' :-). Is there a Swiss pronunciation and and English pronunciation
depending on who you are talking to?

Thanks,
Lee Devlin

UKWATCHES

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

Earlier Lee Devlin wrote;

> Is it 'tag' as in price 'tag' or 'tog' as in...well... 'tog'. Also,
I've
>heard Heuer pronounced 'hyour' and also 'hoyer' (and on rare occasions,
>'whore' :-

It is a contraction of the name of the owners Techniques d'Avant Garde (Cutting
edge technology would be an English translation) So it is actually T.A.G.
pronouced Tee Ay Gee.
Heuer is as your second suggestion Hoyer.

Hope this helps.
Good luck
James

"Tis with our judgements as our watches:
None go just alike, yet each believes his own."
Alexander Pope (1688..1744)

Steven L. Sheffield

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

In article <19980211124...@ladder02.news.aol.com>, ukwa...@aol.com (UKWATCHES) wrote:
> Earlier Lee Devlin wrote;
>
> > Is it 'tag' as in price 'tag' or 'tog' as in...well... 'tog'. Also,
> I've
> >heard Heuer pronounced 'hyour' and also 'hoyer' (and on rare occasions,
> >'whore' :-
> It is a contraction of the name of the owners Techniques d'Avant Garde
> (Cutting
> edge technology would be an English translation) So it is actually T.A.G.
> pronouced Tee Ay Gee.

In that case, since Techniques d'Avant Garde is a French-speaking Swiss
company, the pronunciation would be "TAY AH ZHAY" ... however, since
many corporations contract their name, and become known by the word the
acronym spells, the pronunciation (as the Swiss would pronounce it) would
be "TAHG".

> Heuer is as your second suggestion Hoyer.
>
> Hope this helps.
> Good luck
> James
>
> "Tis with our judgements as our watches:
> None go just alike, yet each believes his own."
> Alexander Pope (1688..1744)

| Steven L. Sheffield / "Are you hep to the jive? Yeah, yeah!" |
| ste...@veloworks.com / http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/ |
| Vox: +1 415 296-9893 / "Ride lots." -- Eddy Merckx |
| vett...@aol.com / Vox: +1 415 274-3290 / Fax: +1 415 274 3259 |

Henry J. Lesovsky

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

In <6brfoo$9he$1...@nnrp2.dejanews.com> lee...@aol.com writes:

>I've heard a lot of different pronunciations of Tag-Heuer. Which is
correct?
snip
>Thanks,
>Lee Devlin
snip

Lee, it all depends on who you are talking to and where you are. In
Germany Tag is the word for "today" but for the
watch it probably means the "style of today". The sirname
Heuer can be pronounced as hoy-ya. But in the South Eastern
United States, it's best to say "Taag Hee-wer".

Les Lesovsky in Alhambra, CA

EKuck

Feb 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/13/98

I could have sworn that I saw somewhere it was pronounced "Taag Hoyer" in their
literature.
Eric

Kaylas

Feb 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/18/98

I live in Switzerland (in the italian-speaking side), here everybody
pronounces
TAG HEUER

Ciao

Kaylas

joel...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2018, 8:16:15 AM1/26/18
Could you break down the sylables?

I also thought it was "tog" vs tag, and hoyer. This is only due to German pronunciation. However in the American market, marketing has modified pronunciations like Jag U ar, instead of "Jagwar" for branding purposes.