Are Elgin pocket watches a good investment?

Doktor Dyper

Nov 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/7/00
I have one from the 1886-1887
18k gold. , I don't know if I should keep it or get
what can from it.

This is what is on the card in the watch box.
"William De Matteo"
"Working Goldsmith"
"Elgin Pocket Watch"
"Goldenball Silversmith"
"Collnial Williamsburg, VA."
#2840019 (1886 -1887)

I don't collect watches, but I got some from my mothers estate,
Bulovas etc... I have to pay her remaining bills off so I have to sell
what I can.

Any help would be great.

Understand Rael, That's The End Of Your Tail.

- Doktor Dyper
DoktorDyper`s Genesis Emporium
http://www.geocities.com/theraeldoktordyper/

Lyle A. Waisman

Nov 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/7/00
OK, my $.02.

Yes.

No.

Yes, with the idea that all antique watches are collectible. They are never
going to be made again, especially when yours is over 100 years old, and in a
solid gold case. If it is a family watch, too, it holds an intrinsic value that
is near impossible to estimate.

No, because Elgin watches are so ubiquitous that the actual value of this item
as an investment is based almost exclusively on the assay of the case than the
quality of the movement. (Not knowing, however, if yours is a paricularly high
grade or rare movement.)

If you're looking for an "investment" that will continue to grow in value, cash
it out and buy a mutual fund. Make sure you get an accurate assesment of its
value before selling.

If you're looking for a marvel of mechanical engineering, and a historical
artifact, and a wonderful keepsake that will continue to accurately tell the
time long after most of our times have run out, keep it.

-Lyle A. Waisman

>Subject: Are Elgin pocket watches a good investment?

Brad McCormick, Ed.D.

Nov 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/7/00
"Lyle A. Waisman" wrote:

> OK, my $.02.

But worth much more!

> Yes.
>
> No.
[snip]

> If you're looking for an "investment" that will continue to grow in value, cash
> it out and buy a mutual fund. Make sure you get an accurate assesment of its
> value before selling.
>
> If you're looking for a marvel of mechanical engineering, and a historical
> artifact, and a wonderful keepsake that will continue to accurately tell the
> time long after most of our times have run out, keep it.

Buy yourself a little 10X loupe (US$40), and take a real good
look at what's inside the watch, to see what you're thinking
of selling. Find a trustworthy watch repair person to clean the
watch and who will also talk with you a bit about it.

Whatever dollars you can get for it will probably not buy
anything nearly so well made or beautiful unless you
just turn around and buy another old
watch -- but then you will be "out" a couple commissions,
so why not keep it?

I am looking for one really nice old pocket watch -- the
kind that WatchKing has told me will make me feel disappointed
in *all* contemporary watches, including Patek Philippes,
because nobody can afford to do that kind of workmanship
any more.

Anyone with any thoughts is welcome to communicate with me
off-list.

Enjoy and cherish your watch for its "sentimental value" both
regarding your family, and regarding a "world" where
craftsmanship counted for more than a little.

+\brad mccormick

--
Let your light so shine before men,
that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

<![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / bra...@cloud9.net
914.238.0788 / 27 Poillon Rd, Chappaqua NY 10514-3403 USA
Visit my website ==> http://www.users.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/

Doktor Dyper

Nov 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/8/00

Thanks for all your (s) insight!

I open the back and I was just awed. This is beautiful!

There is no rust, and really shines. It says "Double Roller"
and from the book I picked up and a nice person on the web, it's a
Hunter movement and its 15 Jewel.

As for if its working, I don't know. I have not tried to wined it up.
It has been in a safe for 25yrs, before that I don't know.
But I am ging to keep it.

On 07 Nov 2000 22:30:41 GMT, pktwa...@aol.comnospam (Lyle A.
Waisman) wrote:

>OK, my $.02.
>
>Yes.
>
>No.
>
>Yes, with the idea that all antique watches are collectible. They are never
>going to be made again, especially when yours is over 100 years old, and in a
>solid gold case. If it is a family watch, too, it holds an intrinsic value that
>is near impossible to estimate.
>
>No, because Elgin watches are so ubiquitous that the actual value of this item
>as an investment is based almost exclusively on the assay of the case than the
>quality of the movement. (Not knowing, however, if yours is a paricularly high
>grade or rare movement.)
>

>If you're looking for an "investment" that will continue to grow in value, cash
>it out and buy a mutual fund. Make sure you get an accurate assesment of its
>value before selling.
>
>If you're looking for a marvel of mechanical engineering, and a historical
>artifact, and a wonderful keepsake that will continue to accurately tell the
>time long after most of our times have run out, keep it.
>

>-Lyle A. Waisman
>
>>Subject: Are Elgin pocket watches a good investment?
>>
>>I have one from the 1886-1887
>>18k gold. , I don't know if I should keep it or get
>>what can from it.
>>
>>This is what is on the card in the watch box.
>>"William De Matteo"
>>"Working Goldsmith"
>>"Elgin Pocket Watch"
>>"Goldenball Silversmith"
>>"Collnial Williamsburg, VA."
>>#2840019 (1886 -1887)
>>
>> I don't collect watches, but I got some from my mothers estate,
>>Bulovas etc... I have to pay her remaining bills off so I have to sell
>>what I can.
>>
>>Any help would be great.

Understand Rael, That's The End Of Your Tail.

Chuck Harris

Nov 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/8/00
Doktor Dyper wrote:

> Thanks for all your (s) insight!
>
> I open the back and I was just awed. This is beautiful!
>
> There is no rust, and really shines. It says "Double Roller"
> and from the book I picked up and a nice person on the web, it's a
> Hunter movement and its 15 Jewel.
>
> As for if its working, I don't know. I have not tried to wined it up.
> It has been in a safe for 25yrs, before that I don't know.
> But I am ging to keep it.

Heh, heh, heh! Another one addicted! alt.horology strikes again!

;-)

-----
Chuck Harris - WA3UQV
cfha...@erols.com

Brad McCormick, Ed.D.

Nov 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/8/00
Chuck Harris wrote:

> Doktor Dyper wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for all your (s) insight!
> >
> > I open the back and I was just awed. This is beautiful!
[snip]

> Heh, heh, heh! Another one addicted! alt.horology strikes again!
[snip]

I would like to differentiate different qualities of
"addiction":

(1) There are persons who keep buying more and more watches
(I would apply the stockbroker word: "churners" to them --
not to mention that their "hoarding" deprives the rest of
us!).

(2) There are also persons who find one thing which is good,
and keep cultivating it to savor ever more of its delights.

Don Juan, versus a true (and, hopefully, well requited!!!) lover!

+\brad mccormick

BARQUE

Nov 9, 2000, 2:13:34 AM11/9/00
As it is a 15 jewel double roller watch, and you are awed by the inside
appearance, it is probably damaskeened.

Other things to know about it are: if it is a lever setting or stem setting
watch, and if it is marked as adjusted.

Is the regulator a micrometer type or a simple lever?

As replacement mainsprings can be found for old Elgins for just a few bucks
(assuming you are brave and are willing to take up repair as a hobby) you
should try and wind it and see if it runs. You don't have to fully wind it to
find out if it runs.

If you are not brave, find out what a new mainspring would cost if put in by a
reputable repairman, then decide if you want to wind it.

Get some books from the library. You could be on the verge of a great hobby.

Glenworthy@xteleport.com Henry Glenworthy

Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
"Doktor Dyper" <cha...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I have one from the 1886-1887
> 18k gold. , I don't know if I should keep it or get
> what can from it.

> This is what is on the card in the watch box.
> "William De Matteo"
> "Working Goldsmith"
> "Elgin Pocket Watch"
> "Goldenball Silversmith"
> "Collnial Williamsburg, VA."
> #2840019 (1886 -1887)

> I don't collect watches, but I got some from my mothers estate,
> Bulovas etc... I have to pay her remaining bills off so I have to sell
> what I can.

You have to provide more data than you have, such as
everything inscribed on the watch movement itself,
including the serial number, and the same applies to
the inside of the watch case.

Doktor Dyper

Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
On 09 Nov 2000 07:13:34 GMT, bar...@aol.com (BARQUE) wrote:

>As it is a 15 jewel double roller watch, and you are awed by the inside
>appearance, it is probably damaskeened.
>
>Other things to know about it are: if it is a lever setting or stem setting
>watch, and if it is marked as adjusted.

It has a lever, looks like S and an F marked by it. I guess Slow and
Fast?