Seiko wall clock in need of repair

Bob

Mar 18, 2002, 6:10:51 PM3/18/02
I have a Seiko quartz wall clock over 20 years old. It keeps running
fast. I've changed the battery and adjusted the plus/minus to the
middle but it still runs fast. What needs to be fixed? There is a #
on the back but not sure if it's the model. QPL101B. Thanks.

John Rowland

Mar 18, 2002, 9:35:58 PM3/18/02
"Bob" <shareyour...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I have a Seiko quartz wall clock over 20 years old.
> It keeps running fast. I've changed the battery and
> adjusted the plus/minus to the middle but it still runs fast.

Have you tried adjusting it to the minus side?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped
Transport Plans for the London Area, updated 28th Nov.

Bob

Mar 20, 2002, 11:54:30 AM3/20/02
Have you tried adjusting it to the minus side? Yes, but it still runs fast.

Richard Lanham

Mar 20, 2002, 12:38:24 PM3/20/02

If your clock has "standard" holes in the clock face and in the hands,
it might be easier to repace the whole movement than to fix this one.

Rick, who is not a watch/clock repairer

dAz

Mar 20, 2002, 3:51:40 PM3/20/02
On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 03:54:30 +1100, Bob wrote:

> Have you tried adjusting it to the minus side? Yes, but it still runs
> fast.

as Richard mentioned, quartz clocks are not normally repaired, if your
clock is a standard timepiece, ie time only, no chimes or calender
function, then the movement is replaced with a new one.

the trimmers on the old movements can only adjust for a few seconds per
day, if its outside this range then a new movement is the only option

you can fit a seiko quartz movement which should drop straight in and use
the same hands, or fit a standard quartz movement with the correct hand
shaft lenght, and still use the same hands, you may need to adjust the
hand holes to suit.

the movement in your clock, does it have a clear case and you can see
moving parts?, or is it just a plain black case?

dAZ

scottw44

Mar 20, 2002, 6:56:42 PM3/20/02
My grandfather is a long retired watch maker, and yet never obsessed about
such things.

He often states that the very nature of the automatic is that your wrist
does something different every day. Thus the subtle discrepancies. He
would say to wear the watch longer, and evaluate over time. Lay it in
different positions when not on the wrist (or do you wear at nite.) Now a
pure mechanical, that he would obsess a bit about, and try to get it to
perfection.

I too sufferred from 6 sec's a day on my Krieger...ultimately, my obsession
led to a timing, which solved my nightmare.

But remember, they are mechanical, pieces of art, and the beuaty is in the
workings of the movement. I'd wait a little longer and track your results
at a few different times in the day.

--
reply to:

scot...@bellsouth.net

www.itravelinsured.com

"Bob" <shareyour...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

scottw44

Mar 20, 2002, 6:57:46 PM3/20/02
Ooops...this was meant for the Breitling thread on accuracy.

--
reply to:

scot...@bellsouth.net

www.itravelinsured.com
"scottw44" <scot...@spam.spam> wrote in message

Bob

Mar 21, 2002, 10:31:28 AM3/21/02
When i say it runs fast, i mean about 6 hours fast after 2 weeks.

Bob

Mar 21, 2002, 10:34:03 AM3/21/02
The back of the clock is black wood. You cannot see the movements.