WaveCeptor won't sync

Jim Youngmeyer

May 19, 2004, 10:21:25 AM5/19/04
My Casio WaveCeptor atomic watch (model WV100DA-7BV) has refused to sync
for the last 10 days, and now it is 1/2 second too fast!. Before that
it would sync almost every day. I've tried placing it in every
conceivable position with a clear view to Fort Colins. This model is
solar powered and has a digital display (no analog hands). The display
shows that the battery is fully charged. Is anyone else having problems
with their atomic watches syncing? The watch's manual mentions that
syncing can be affected by seasonal variations. Is this
watch-non-syncing season?

Jim

John Rowland

May 19, 2004, 11:20:35 AM5/19/04
"Jim Youngmeyer" <jamesp...@swbell.net> wrote in message

> My Casio WaveCeptor atomic watch (model
> WV100DA-7BV) has refused to sync for the
> last 10 days, and now it is 1/2 second too fast!.

That's terrible.

> Before that it would sync almost every day. I've tried placing
> it in every conceivable position with a clear view to Fort Colins.

As the proud owner of a WaveCeptor for the German signal, all I can say is
that mine will sync in any position unless I place it near a computer which
is switched on, in which case it generally fails. I've even synced it while
walking down the road with my arm swinging.

I don't think the Fort Collins transmitter has been down for 10 days, or I
would have heard before now. Do you live near the edge of the reception
area? Some models allow autosync to be disabled - are you sure that you
haven't disabled it accidentally, or set it to decode one of the Japanese
transmitters? Are you sure it is still set for the right timezone?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/7069/tpftla.html

Jim Youngmeyer

May 19, 2004, 11:36:59 AM5/19/04
John,

I live in Houston, and the time zone is set for Chicago (central time zone).
Autosync is enabled, and frequency is 60.

Jim

Bill Jameson

May 19, 2004, 11:47:57 AM5/19/04

Jim,

I don't know where you are, but I'm in suburb 14 miles SSW of Philadelphia.
In the past couple of weeks my Casio gw300 has gone from 90%+ syncing to
about 10-15%, though it has synchronized the last two nights. (My
definition of syncing: the watch synchs at least one time during the 3, 4
or 5 AM auto receive. The 2 AM don't count because the indicator gets
cleared at 3 AM).

Hope this helps,

Bill Jameson

Jim Youngmeyer

May 19, 2004, 11:58:55 AM5/19/04
Bill,

I'm in Houston, Texas. Maybe there are some problems with sunspots and/or the
ionosphere. I called Casio support and they said to keep trying a few more
days. They gave me a phone number for their repair department in case it still
doesn't sync.

Jim

Norman Schwartz

May 19, 2004, 12:48:39 PM5/19/04

"Jim Youngmeyer" <jamesp...@swbell.net> wrote in message

I own a Casio Waveceptor and never dreamed at looking for deviations that
small. What is your reference for 1/2 second?
It takes me about that long to switch my eyesight from the reference to any
other timesource under test. I'm sure you have one, so I'm interesting in
learning about it! TIA.
Norman

Jim Youngmeyer

May 19, 2004, 1:45:23 PM5/19/04
Norman,

I was being facetious about the 1/2 second -- it really doesn't bother me. But
I am concerned that the watch is not syncing when it should.

Jim

Jim Youngmeyer

May 19, 2004, 2:07:14 PM5/19/04

> Norman Schwartz wrote:
>

> > I own a Casio Waveceptor and never dreamed at looking for deviations that
> > small. What is your reference for 1/2 second?
> > It takes me about that long to switch my eyesight from the reference to any
> > other timesource under test. I'm sure you have one, so I'm interesting in
> > learning about it! TIA.
> > Norman

Norman,

To answer your question, I use this web site to check the time:

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Central/d/-6/java

By holding my watch in front of my monitor I can see both clocks change at the same
time. Right now the web site is accurate within .4 second, yesterday the accuracy
was .2 second.

Jim

R.L. Horn

May 19, 2004, 9:31:47 PM5/19/04
On Wed, 19 May 2004 16:48:39 GMT, Norman Schwartz <nm...@att.net> wrote:

> What is your reference for 1/2 second? It takes me about that long to
> switch my eyesight from the reference to any other timesource under test.

I can easily see differences of less than 1/4 sec listening to WWV.

--
If you can see the FNORD, remove it to reply by email.

Norman Schwartz

May 19, 2004, 10:39:47 PM5/19/04

"R.L. Horn" <ne...@eastFNORDcheap.org> wrote in message

> On Wed, 19 May 2004 16:48:39 GMT, Norman Schwartz <nm...@att.net> wrote:
>
> > What is your reference for 1/2 second? It takes me about that long to
> > switch my eyesight from the reference to any other timesource under
test.

> I can easily see differences of less than 1/4 sec listening to WWV.

Isn't that see or see and hear?

Norman Schwartz

May 19, 2004, 10:39:47 PM5/19/04

"Jim Youngmeyer" <jamesp...@swbell.net> wrote in message
Doesn't Breitling's Superquartz watches e.g., Aerospace do better than that?

John Rowland

May 20, 2004, 3:17:02 AM5/20/04
"Norman Schwartz" <nm...@att.net> wrote in message

> "Jim Youngmeyer" <jamesp...@swbell.net> wrote in message
> >
> > My Casio WaveCeptor atomic watch
> (model WV100DA-7BV) has refused to sync for
> the last 10 days, and now it is 1/2 second too fast!.
>
> I own a Casio Waveceptor and never dreamed at looking for
> deviations that small. What is your reference for 1/2 second?
> It takes me about that long to switch my eyesight from the
> reference to any other timesource under test.

a) If you stare at a digital watch with a digital clock behind it, you can
easily see both digits changing, and can resolve as little as a tenth of a
second discrepancy between them (so long as neither displays fractions of a
second).

b) Even with two clocks fixed on facing walls, you can use the changing
digit of the first clock as if it was a musical beat in your head, and
quickly look at the other clock to see whether it is keeping to the same
beat. I think you could easily resolve a quarter of a second discrepancy in
this way, but getting a tenth might be difficult.

Norman Schwartz

May 20, 2004, 1:43:44 PM5/20/04

"John Rowland" <jo...@journeyflow.spamspam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message >

> b) Even with two clocks fixed on facing walls, you can use the changing
> digit of the first clock as if it was a musical beat in your head, and
> quickly look at the other clock to see whether it is keeping to the same
> beat. I think you could easily resolve a quarter of a second discrepancy
in
> this way, but getting a tenth might be difficult.

Should they differ, which one is correct? Perhaps they are both off. A
Breitling Super Quartz is said to be within +/- 1 second/month. What if
anything beats that?

John Rowland

May 20, 2004, 2:02:16 PM5/20/04

> Should they differ, which one is correct?

Generally, the one which has most recently received a radio signal will be
the most correct one, unless it has a high drift rate, about which the owner
would already know. When testing the accuracy of my RC watch, I compare it
with my RC clock, which has a terrible drift (something like 0.25 seconds
per hour) but does sync every hour, so is spot on in the early part of each
hour.

R.L. Horn

May 20, 2004, 5:56:47 PM5/20/04
On Thu, 20 May 2004 02:39:47 GMT, Norman Schwartz <nm...@att.net> wrote:

>> I can easily see differences of less than 1/4 sec listening to WWV.

> Isn't that see or see and hear?

dang...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2014, 10:54:54 PM3/12/14
I also live in Houston and having the same problem. Based on the spec, we have to live within 600 miles away from Port Collins. Since we are in Houston, 930+ miles away from the source, it may explains why it can't sync.

John Dang

bewhe...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2017, 7:29:02 PM1/21/17
Dang John, Where'd you get that spec?!? That would be a VERY small market for the watch. I've had these syncing perfectly for 10 years in California and never heard that they weren't for the whole planet as claimed.