لم تعُد "مجموعات Google" تتيح المشاركات أو الاشتراكات الجديدة من Usenet. وسيبقى بالإمكان عرض المحتوى السابق.

Getting cash out of American Home Shield ? Experiences sought

4,645 مرّة مشاهدة
التخطي إلى أول رسالة غير مقروءة

MAG

غير مقروءة،
16‏/08‏/2003، 3:00:58 م16‏/8‏/2003
إلى
Hi folks-

Some of you have read my ongoing experiences with my central AC unit,
and a few have given me great advice.

Now I'm asking a general question, not AC-related, so I'm starting a new
thread.

Question: how do I go about getting AHS to cut me a check for whatever
amount their hack repairman says the repair cost of my dead AC is? He'll
just want to swap the compressor, almost certainly. Various estimates
suggest that would cost AHS $500 - $1000.

Fine. What I'd like is to invoke section F, paragraph 12 of the home
warranty, which is AHS's option to give me the repair cost and let me go
my own way in doing a full system replacement.

The problem is that it's THEIR option to do so, not mine. I'm looking
for experiences (success stories, things to avoid), in getting them to
do it.

Of course I'd like them to pay for a full replacement, but that's
probably not happening, and I'd be happy to cut my losses, get a check
for the repair estimate, and go to my own contractor and get a quality
pro install.

I can always just ask, but I hear they often say no. I'd like to play
this as smartly as possible.

Experiences with home warranty companies appreciated!!

Thanks!

Marc

CBHvac

غير مقروءة،
16‏/08‏/2003، 10:24:37 م16‏/8‏/2003
إلى

"MAG" <Some...@somewhere.com> wrote in message

> Hi folks-
>
> Some of you have read my ongoing experiences with my central AC unit,
> and a few have given me great advice.
>
> Now I'm asking a general question, not AC-related, so I'm starting a new
> thread.
>
> Question: how do I go about getting AHS to cut me a check for whatever
> amount their hack repairman says the repair cost of my dead AC is? He'll
> just want to swap the compressor, almost certainly. Various estimates
> suggest that would cost AHS $500 - $1000.
>
> Fine. What I'd like is to invoke section F, paragraph 12 of the home
> warranty, which is AHS's option to give me the repair cost and let me go
> my own way in doing a full system replacement.

Just ask.
Tell them that compressor replacement is not an option. Period.

Then, if you get slack, tell them to refund your policy, complete and in
full, as you are canceling it and going with another company.

It works wonders.

> The problem is that it's THEIR option to do so, not mine. I'm looking
> for experiences (success stories, things to avoid), in getting them to
> do it.
>
> Of course I'd like them to pay for a full replacement, but that's
> probably not happening, and I'd be happy to cut my losses, get a check
> for the repair estimate, and go to my own contractor and get a quality
> pro install.

I wont mention the other companys name, but I had a FAX request come in
yesterday...I go look at the unit, and its not that old...it is an ICP,
(comapny that makes CArrier) and its got a leaking evap coil....I called,
explained that I could not match a coil to it without possible compromise to
the compressor, and I could put in a new condensing unit for $XXXX....they
agreed to the complete matching system.
I am not even on their list for repairs under their warranty, but have done
many in the past for them.

> I can always just ask, but I hear they often say no. I'd like to play
> this as smartly as possible.

Simple...you go armed with these words.

Compressor replacement alone is NOT acceptable.

> Experiences with home warranty companies appreciated!!

I have a question.....with AHS, and 2-10 and the like...the homeowner makes
ONE call, and the contractor normally takes it from there...why are you
fighting for what the contractor should be? Maybe its me, maybe its the
area, I dont know, but after the homeowner has called, and I call the
warranty company for approval, the homeowner needs to sit back, and relax
while WE stay up till midnight trying to get someone to answer...lol

> Thanks!
>
> Marc

MAG

غير مقروءة،
16‏/08‏/2003، 9:55:10 م16‏/8‏/2003
إلى
In article <Y2z%a.365$Je.1...@eagle.america.net>,
webm...@carolinabreezehvac.com says...

( Some of Marc's text snipped)

> > What I'd like is to invoke section F, paragraph 12 of the home
> > warranty, which is AHS's option to give me the repair cost and let me go
> > my own way in doing a full system replacement.
> >

> Just ask.
> Tell them that compressor replacement is not an option. Period.
>
> Then, if you get slack, tell them to refund your policy, complete and in
> full, as you are canceling it and going with another company.
>
> It works wonders.

Sigh. Section J. Cancellation: Maryland residents only: This contract
may be cancelled by the holder up to the 30th day after the effective
date of the contract... after this, the contract is non-cancellable by
the holder...
And I'm about 40 days into the contract. D'Oh.

> > The problem is that it's THEIR option to do so, not mine. I'm looking
> > for experiences (success stories, things to avoid), in getting them to
> > do it.
> >
> > Of course I'd like them to pay for a full replacement, but that's
> > probably not happening, and I'd be happy to cut my losses, get a check
> > for the repair estimate, and go to my own contractor and get a quality
> > pro install.
>
> > I wont mention the other companys name, but I had a FAX request come in
> > yesterday...I go look at the unit, and its not that old...it is an ICP,
> > (comapny that makes CArrier) and its got a leaking evap coil....I called,
> > explained that I could not match a coil to it without possible compromise to
> > the compressor, and I could put in a new condensing unit for $XXXX....they
> > agreed to the complete matching system.
> > I am not even on their list for repairs under their warranty, but have done
> > many in the past for them.

AHS has drawn a tough line in the sand on sticking with their own hack
contractors recently. I've heard other stories similar to mine. My
prefered contractor, when asked if they would intercede with AHS, said
sorry, no dice, they were sick of waiting for checks to arrive and for
being told to do band aid work.

> > I can always just ask, but I hear they often say no. I'd like to play
> > this as smartly as possible.

> Simple...you go armed with these words.

> Compressor replacement alone is NOT acceptable.

I will try this, but I expect one of two negative outcomes will happen:

1. They'll say, sorry, the contract specifies only defective parts will
be replaced, the hack contractor says they can fix it by putting a new
compressor into a 30 year old system... that's what we are going to pay
for.
or
2. If by some chance they agree to replace the whole system -- (LOL)--
it would be done by their own contractors who we know to be bottom of
barrel. Based on my last experience with one of their guys, shudder!
Maybe the next folks, coming Monday, will be better. So maybe I'm
jumping the gun.

> I have a question.....with AHS, and 2-10 and the like...the homeowner makes
> ONE call, and the contractor normally takes it from there...why are you
> fighting for what the contractor should be? Maybe its me, maybe its the
> area, I dont know, but after the homeowner has called, and I call the
> warranty company for approval, the homeowner needs to sit back, and relax
> while WE stay up till midnight trying to get someone to answer...lol

So far, the one contractor they sent out didn't do diddley squat except
drain freon, probably resulting in the compressor's death. He had no
interest in helping out and when I asked him to get on the phone to AHS,
he said "My manager says they'd never pay for it." That's why I'm
assuming contractor #2 going to be a similar hack. But I could be
pleasantly surprised. Maybe contractor #2 will show up on time, be
professional, and inspire confidence. But I'm not holding my breath.

CBHVac- thanks for your continued help and support. It is very
comforting to me to have folks like you who can give me useful feedback.
I'm learning a lot here! Know that your efforts are appreciated.

Expect an update on Monday!!

Marc

DaveG

غير مقروءة،
16‏/08‏/2003، 10:40:51 م16‏/8‏/2003
إلى

"MAG" <Some...@somewhere.com> wrote in message

You're right. It's their option. They will likely pay you that money only
to keep from spending more money fixing it. It's to protect them, not you.
You can ask, and maybe they'll cooperate, but if they can fix something
cheaper than paying you, guess which one they'll pick?

MAG

غير مقروءة،
16‏/08‏/2003، 10:59:19 م16‏/8‏/2003
إلى
In article <vjtqplt...@corp.supernews.com>, DAVEJ...@peoplepxc.com
says...
True. Really, I'd be happy enough if they paid me whatever it would
cost them to fix it. I'm not asking for them to pay more than that. So,
instead of for example them paying $600 to the contractor, they pay me
that $600 and I add that to $2000 of my own and get a brand new
reliable, warranted system.

Sounds reasonable to me, as win-win solution, but I understand that
often they won't do this. But sometimes they will.

Any thoughts on language to use to convince them?

Marc

xym...@suds.com

غير مقروءة،
17‏/08‏/2003، 8:01:54 ص17‏/8‏/2003
إلى
On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 19:24:37 -0700, "CBHvac"
<webm...@carolinabreezehvac.com> wrote:

>I have a question.....with AHS, and 2-10 and the like...the homeowner makes
>ONE call, and the contractor normally takes it from there...why are you
>fighting for what the contractor should be? Maybe its me, maybe its the
>area, I dont know, but after the homeowner has called, and I call the
>warranty company for approval, the homeowner needs to sit back, and relax
>while WE stay up till midnight trying to get someone to answer...lol

My experience with my POS AHS warranty (which I did not purchase,
would never have purchased, and will never purchase: it came with the
house) is that there's an automatic $95 contractor house call fee, and
$95 to me is not chump change when I'm dealing with a situation that's
going to cost me a lot of money anyway, given how little AHS actually
pays out. It's a real deterrent to calling AHS, and in my most recent
situation, that $95 went toward a $200 shower grout repair that solved
my water leak problem (worst case scenario was $4k to rip out bathroom
floor tile dating from the 1940s and redo the floor drain system).

MAG

غير مقروءة،
17‏/08‏/2003، 10:41:30 ص17‏/8‏/2003
إلى
In article <09rujv82b0q3ns33i...@4ax.com>,
xym...@suds.com says...
WOW

$95 copay? Ouch!!

Mine is $50 for the service call. $95 is ridiculous!!

Marc

J Kelly

غير مقروءة،
20‏/08‏/2003، 2:48:11 م20‏/8‏/2003
إلى
On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 22:59:19 -0400, MAG <Some...@somewhere.com>
wrote:

>True. Really, I'd be happy enough if they paid me whatever it would
>cost them to fix it. I'm not asking for them to pay more than that. So,
>instead of for example them paying $600 to the contractor, they pay me
>that $600 and I add that to $2000 of my own and get a brand new
>reliable, warranted system.
>
>Sounds reasonable to me, as win-win solution, but I understand that
>often they won't do this. But sometimes they will.
>
>Any thoughts on language to use to convince them?

Tell them if it quits again they will have to fix it, but if they hand
you $600 now so you can put it a new one they are done with that old
POS and will no longer have to warranty it. Make sure they understand
that as soon as they pay you, their future warranty obligation on that
unit is void so it may very well save them money in the long run.

MAG

غير مقروءة،
20‏/08‏/2003، 4:31:14 م20‏/8‏/2003
إلى
In article <7fg7kv0nrb7qncvro...@4ax.com>, usenet200308
@this says...
Thanks. I did this a few days ago and it worked, in that they're paying
me $554 to "cash me out." It's distressing that they're giving me so
little, but I'm at the point where I'm ready to let go. Tomorrow,
qualified folks are going to show up and install a brand new 12 SEER
unit, and will back it for 5 years parts/labor. Cool air and peace of
mind a-comin'!!

Marc

1MANSHO

غير مقروءة،
17‏/07‏/2016، 7:44:05 م17‏/7‏/2016
إلى
replying to MAG, 1MANSHO wrote:
1st of all you have the right to refuse any of there vendors.You are the
homeowner and it is against the law for them to make you use anyone.2nd
installing an AC can be a safety issue and if you feel there incapable of
doing the job safely and properly then you can refuse to use them for safety
concerns.3rd if you wish to cash out and the repairs are over the cost of the
cash out demand then they must cash you out.Tell them you want a cash out NOW
or you will involve your attorney and they will cash you out.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/getting-cash-out-of-american-home-shield-experiences-sough-472770-.htm

Ed Pawlowski

غير مقروءة،
17‏/07‏/2016، 8:38:47 م17‏/7‏/2016
إلى
On 7/17/2016 7:44 PM, 1MANSHO wrote:
> replying to MAG, 1MANSHO wrote:
> 1st of all you have the right to refuse any of there vendors.You are the
> homeowner and it is against the law for them to make you use anyone.2nd
> installing an AC can be a safety issue and if you feel there incapable of
> doing the job safely and properly then you can refuse to use them for
> safety
> concerns.3rd if you wish to cash out and the repairs are over the cost
> of the
> cash out demand then they must cash you out.Tell them you want a cash
> out NOW
> or you will involve your attorney and they will cash you out.

MAG passed away from heat stroke when his AC broke 13 years ago. His
policy has since lapsed.

I will, however, take this opportunity to reminf all new readers that
home insurance polices are a poor investment. Put the amount of the
premium in a savings account and you will be able to pay for normal
repairs.

trader_4

غير مقروءة،
18‏/07‏/2016، 9:31:46 ص18‏/7‏/2016
إلى
+1

And I would point out that while you have the right to refuse to use any
of the repair vendors the home warranty company wants to send out, the
warranty/maintenance contract likely says that you have to use one
that is agreeable to the warranty company and there is nothing illegal
about that. If they have only one HVAC service company they use in your
area, I'd be surprised if you're not stuck with using them if you want
the warranty company to pay for it. It would be pretty dumb for them
to not have a contract written that way.

mako...@yahoo.com

غير مقروءة،
18‏/07‏/2016، 1:54:02 م18‏/7‏/2016
إلى
what is the record here for a late reply?

Mark

Stormin Mormon

غير مقروءة،
18‏/07‏/2016، 4:33:18 م18‏/7‏/2016
إلى
On 7/18/2016 1:53 PM, mako...@yahoo.com wrote:
> what is the record here for a late reply?
>
> Mark

I'm sure several regulars here keep track
of such things. Like those who keep track of
every impolite thing I've ever written, and
can tell me about my vacation to club baby
seals to death, my leaky flash light, and
every time I've neglected to respond to some
question about Mormon sex. That said, I don't
use a lot of brain cells keeping track of
every thing here. I think about twelve years
is about right.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

Audreynandy

غير مقروءة،
23‏/07‏/2016، 9:44:05 م23‏/7‏/2016
إلى
replying to MAG, Audreynandy wrote:
Yep. They said to us the same thing you said in your first guess. Ours was the
24 year old evaporator coil.

Uncle Monster

غير مقروءة،
24‏/07‏/2016، 10:05:13 ص24‏/7‏/2016
إلى
On Sunday, July 17, 2016 at 6:44:05 PM UTC-5, 1MANSHO wrote:
> replying to MAG, 1MANSHO wrote:
> 1st of all you have the right to refuse any of there vendors.You are the
> homeowner and it is against the law for them to make you use anyone.2nd
> installing an AC can be a safety issue and if you feel there incapable of
> doing the job safely and properly then you can refuse to use them for safety
> concerns.3rd if you wish to cash out and the repairs are over the cost of the
> cash out demand then they must cash you out.Tell them you want a cash out NOW
> or you will involve your attorney and they will cash you out.
> --

Unfortunately, in September of 2003, American Home Shield sent their enforcers to beat Mr.MAG after he complained. They beat him a little too hard and Mr.MAG died of his injuries. Mr.MAG is survived by a wife, 9 children and 456 gerbils. The gerbils really miss him. 8-(

[8~{} Uncle Complaining Monster

trader_4

غير مقروءة،
24‏/07‏/2016، 10:41:28 ص24‏/7‏/2016
إلى
But did he get the warranty company to give him cash instead of fixing
his busted ass AC?

Uncle Monster

غير مقروءة،
24‏/07‏/2016، 5:33:54 م24‏/7‏/2016
إلى
I don't know, you'll have to ask the gerbils. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Unwarranted Monster

Ed Pawlowski

غير مقروءة،
24‏/07‏/2016، 6:32:38 م24‏/7‏/2016
إلى
On 7/24/2016 5:33 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

>> But did he get the warranty company to give him cash instead of fixing
>> his busted ass AC?
>
> I don't know, you'll have to ask the gerbils. o_O
>
> [8~{} Uncle Unwarranted Monster

Can't. The gerbils and wheel powered generators were replaced by solar
panels. There was a nice bbq dinner though.

Uncle Monster

غير مقروءة،
24‏/07‏/2016، 7:35:52 م24‏/7‏/2016
إلى
It's my understanding that "Gerbil on a stick" is quite tasty. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Hungry Monster

Staceyd

غير مقروءة،
08‏/04‏/2017، 9:14:05 م8‏/4‏/2017
إلى
replying to MAG, Staceyd wrote:
I am dealing with AHS for the 3rd yr in a row for the same exact AC unit. It
drains every year they have sent several people out here each year it has cost
me $660 just for freon not including the $75 service fee. They want to offer
me a cash out but I have to get the work done and submit the receipts to AHS
before they will cut me a check they deem reasonable. My AC unit is only 6
years old and each time they come to repair it they tell me they cannot find
the parts to match my unit. Last year it took them almost two months to repair
my unit was not done until late September

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/getting-cash-out-of-american-home-shield-experiences-sough-472770-.htm

Ed Pawlowski

غير مقروءة،
08‏/04‏/2017، 9:29:54 م8‏/4‏/2017
إلى
On 4/8/2017 9:14 PM, Staceyd wrote:
> replying to MAG, Staceyd wrote:
> I am dealing with AHS for the 3rd yr in a row for the same exact AC
> unit. It
> drains every year they have sent several people out here each year it
> has cost
> me $660 just for freon not including the $75 service fee. They want to
> offer
> me a cash out but I have to get the work done and submit the receipts to
> AHS
> before they will cut me a check they deem reasonable. My AC unit is only 6
> years old and each time they come to repair it they tell me they cannot
> find
> the parts to match my unit. Last year it took them almost two months to
> repair
> my unit was not done until late September

14 yeas later, the OP is getting ready for summer again and has invested
twice the cost of a new unit so far.

Home warranty companies are in business to make money, not to help the
homeowner. Much better is to put the money in the bank

meetuj...@gmail.com

غير مقروءة،
21‏/08‏/2017، 2:44:16 م21‏/8‏/2017
إلى
do you remember what email you sent submit the receipt to ?
I got email from them after on hold for 45 mins and that's not valid email

Connie

غير مقروءة،
14‏/11‏/2017، 8:44:07 م14‏/11‏/2017
إلى
replying to CBHvac, Connie wrote:
They wanted to change my compressor, fan motor, actuator and put new type
Freon in old system. I said not acceptable and they said only choice I have is
cash out. They were going to charge me over 500 for new Freon. They refuse to
replace

Ed Pawlowski

غير مقروءة،
14‏/11‏/2017، 9:03:33 م14‏/11‏/2017
إلى
On 11/14/2017 8:44 PM, Connie wrote:
> replying to CBHvac, Connie wrote:
> They wanted to change my compressor, fan motor, actuator and put new type
> Freon in old system. I said not acceptable and they said only choice I
> have is
> cash out. They were going to charge me over 500 for new Freon. They
> refuse to
> replace

Another example of why it is foolish to have this warranty. AHS is in
business to make money, not to help you. Put those premiums in a
savings account and over the years you can just pay cash for proper
repairs.

CRNG

غير مقروءة،
15‏/11‏/2017، 12:08:41 ص15‏/11‏/2017
إلى
On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 21:03:29 -0500, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote
in <RfNOB.2351$5k6....@fx25.iad>
+1

Wade Garrett

غير مقروءة،
15‏/11‏/2017، 8:04:33 ص15‏/11‏/2017
إلى
Given that bank savings account interest rates are so pathetically low
that you won't even stay ahead of inflation, plunk the dough in the
stock market instead.

One of the well managed, low cost index mutual funds like the Dow Jones
or S&P 500 from a major investment firm like Fidelity Investments or
Vanguard, etc. will do you fine.

--
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time or money
making it.

trader_4

غير مقروءة،
15‏/11‏/2017، 10:07:23 ص15‏/11‏/2017
إلى
Or stuff it under the mattress, IMO even that is way better than sending
it to one of the warranty companies. When something breaks, you determine
who fixes it, whether you fix the old one or get a new one, get a new
one that is better, has more features, etc.

Connie

غير مقروءة،
29‏/11‏/2017، 7:44:07 ص29‏/11‏/2017
إلى
replying to MAG, Connie wrote:
We had to replace our own unit after paying home warranty since 2012. American
homeshiwld is a scam!

Tekkie®

غير مقروءة،
29‏/11‏/2017، 12:58:10 م29‏/11‏/2017
إلى
Connie posted for all of us...
No shit...

--
Tekkie

Francis J Maughan

غير مقروءة،
14‏/11‏/2018، 1:44:07 م14‏/11‏/2018
إلى
replying to MAG, Francis J Maughan wrote:
$50 for a service fee is very good - mine is $75 and I thought that was fair..

Francis J Maughan

غير مقروءة،
14‏/11‏/2018، 1:44:08 م14‏/11‏/2018
إلى
replying to Ed Pawlowski, Francis J Maughan wrote:
I think there are good times to have a Home Warranty - if you buy a house that
is over 10 years old I think a Home Warranty is good to have for the first 2
years while you get a feel for the house and what has been done to it. That
being said, there are companies that are better than others...

Clare Snyder

غير مقروءة،
14‏/11‏/2018، 9:56:25 م14‏/11‏/2018
إلى
On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 18:44:04 GMT, Francis J Maughan
<caedfaa9ed1216d60ef...@example.com> wrote:

>replying to Ed Pawlowski, Francis J Maughan wrote:
>I think there are good times to have a Home Warranty - if you buy a house that
>is over 10 years old I think a Home Warranty is good to have for the first 2
>years while you get a feel for the house and what has been done to it. That
>being said, there are companies that are better than others...

It's like the "warrantees" used car dealers sell you with a "junker"
car. They often know damned well the car is no good but offload the
"risk" to the third party warrantee company and the insurance company
that underwrites it.

If a seller/broker is involved in selling or recommending the
insurance - run. They seem to think it absolves them of responsibility
to properly represent the property.

The time to get a feel for the condition of the property is BEFORE
the purchase. Sadly the real estate/home inspectors are, to a large
degree, pretty useless at their jobs.

I've been involved with friends/customers/famiky who have had home
inspections which flagged things like loose or cracked switchplates
and totally missed things like totally messed up plumbing, and
extremely substandard wiring (open joints (no j-box) in the
basement,outdoor overhead telephone wiring used to wire
basement(visible without opening up any walls by looking from the
adjacent furnace room) poorly caulked and leaking windows,rotted off
carpoet posts (aluminum clad, look good but so loose they would move
in a moderate breeze) imprperly installed gutters, - stuff any decent
handiman could find even with his glasses fogged up.

jamesfla...@gmail.com

غير مقروءة،
06‏/06‏/2019، 8:49:45 ص6‏/6‏/2019
إلى
Clearly I'm a bit late to this thread... but my home is 20 years old, bought it 4 years ago and it came with an HSA warranty that I've renewed three times now. I have no complaints about the value I get from the warranty when it comes to repairs I've needed for pluming leaks, broken stove, roof leaks, etc. however; I've had my two AC units repaired 12 times in 4 years. I submitted a service request on 5/27/19 and it took Piedmont heating and air until 6/2/19 to schedule my appointment (for 6/7/19), which I find a bit ridiculous. I had two separate companies come out to inspect, both said units require full replacement. I called HSA twice yesterday simply to find out what they'll pay towards full replacement and I got nothing but call center employees, seemingly in India, reading from a script and refusing to provide a number or connect me to a supervisor. I tried to get their contractor last year to report that the systems needed full replacement, but as per other posters, they did the quick band-aid fix and a month later I was submitting another request for work. Would have been nice to come here and see some level of a success story from someone getting a cash-out offer, but I'll post again tomorrow once I deal with their hack contractor and see what happens. Supposedly, if HSA agrees to full replacement and provides a $ number to their contractor, I'm supposed to be able to use my own preferred contractor and receive the same amount towards the new system. I'm not holding my breath, but when my renewal is up, I'll be taking the previous advice of keeping my money in my savings account.

devnull

غير مقروءة،
06‏/06‏/2019، 9:04:16 ص6‏/6‏/2019
إلى
On 6/6/19 8:49 AM, jamesfla...@gmail.com wrote:
> Clearly I'm a bit late to this thread... but my home is 20 years old, bought it 4 years ago and it came with an HSA warranty that I've renewed three times now. I have no complaints about the value I get from the warranty when it comes to repairs I've needed for pluming leaks, broken stove, roof leaks, etc. however; I've had my two AC units repaired 12 times in 4 years. I submitted a service request on 5/27/19 and it took Piedmont heating and air until 6/2/19 to schedule my appointment (for 6/7/19), which I find a bit ridiculous. I had two separate companies come out to inspect, both said units require full replacement. I called HSA twice yesterday simply to find out what they'll pay towards full replacement and I got nothing but call center employees, seemingly in India, reading from a script and refusing to provide a number or connect me to a supervisor. I tried to get their contractor last year to report that the systems needed full replacement, but as per other posters, they did the quick band-aid fix and a month later I was submitting another request for work. Would have been nice to come here and see some level of a success story from someone getting a cash-out offer, but I'll post again tomorrow once I deal with their hack contractor and see what happens. Supposedly, if HSA agrees to full replacement and provides a $ number to their contractor, I'm supposed to be able to use my own preferred contractor and receive the same amount towards the new system. I'm not holding my breath, but when my renewal is up, I'll be taking the previous advice of keeping my money in my savings account.

Good to hear you're kicking your home warranty company to the curb.  Home warranties are near worthless in my opinion.

The only people who like them are the home warranty salesjerks and social media trolls.

Ed Pawlowski

غير مقروءة،
06‏/06‏/2019، 10:22:39 ص6‏/6‏/2019
إلى
On 6/6/2019 8:49 AM, jamesfla...@gmail.com wrote:
> Clearly I'm a bit late to this thread... but my home is 20 years old, bought it 4 years ago and it came with an HSA warranty that I've renewed three times now. I have no complaints about the value I get from the warranty when it comes to repairs I've needed for pluming leaks, broken stove, roof leaks, etc. however; I've had my two AC units repaired 12 times in 4 years. I submitted a service request on 5/27/19 and it took Piedmont heating and air until 6/2/19 to schedule my appointment (for 6/7/19), which I find a bit ridiculous. I had two separate companies come out to inspect, both said units require full replacement. I called HSA twice yesterday simply to find out what they'll pay towards full replacement and I got nothing but call center employees, seemingly in India, reading from a script and refusing to provide a number or connect me to a supervisor.

And you think you got value from them? What would you be willing to pay
to eliminate the downtime of the AC 12 times for days at a time? What
did you pay for the deducible each visit? Put that money towards a new
reliable unit.

trader_4

غير مقروءة،
06‏/06‏/2019، 10:51:30 ص6‏/6‏/2019
إلى
Would be interesting to see what the cost was for the duration of the
plan, exactly what repairs they got for that and how it compares to what
the cost of those repairs would have been if you just hired it out yourself.
Also, given how they are avoiding doing what's right with the AC, what
do you think that says about the quality of the other repairs? Another
factor with AC or furnace, if it's a unit that's 20 years old and it's
used a lot, a new unit will likely result in substantial energy savings too.
When you're paying for repairs yourself, you can factor that in, also
any other issues like noise, comfort, etc when deciding whether to fix it
or replace it. When it's a warranty company, it's up to them.

I saw on the news last night a total scam. I've heard ads for some of
them myself, usually on WOR here, the home of Rush, Hannity and the other
right wingers. They are soliciting people who are stuck with timeshares,
claiming that they can get you out of it. On the TV news last night,
they said Missouri is home to many of these. They showed an elderly
couple that had a timeshare at the NJ shore. The maintenance fee had risen
to $1500 a year and they didn't want to keep it. IDK, but $1500 a year
doesn't sound so bad, assuming you get two weeks use. But anyway, they
wanted out, so they contacted one of those "get you out" companies.
They paid the company $18K and a year later, the company did nothing,
they are still stuck with the timeshare.

When I heard those commercials on the radio, first thing I thought was
how are they going to get you out of a contract with a timeshare?
What can they do, that you can't? I bet if that couple went to the
timeshare company themselves and offered them the $18K, the company
probably would have said yes.

It seems to me that there are a lot of these ads, for what sound like
shysters on conservative talk radio. Another is the diet company that
claims they take your DNA to use to come up with a diet specific to you.
They say they use saliva, hair and blood. First thing there, why do you
need all those, when the cops do DNA with just a saliva swab? And I
have never seen any study, any scientific research that supports the
idea that using DNA to come up with a diet works. Plenty of consumer
complaints about them too, high pressure, didn't work, etc.

Frank

غير مقروءة،
06‏/06‏/2019، 1:35:54 م6‏/6‏/2019
إلى
This is true for all warranties sold beyond the original product
warranty. If they were not more profitable to the seller than the buyer
they would not be selling them.

trader_4

غير مقروءة،
06‏/06‏/2019، 2:04:49 م6‏/6‏/2019
إلى
That's some interesting economics. So I buy a loaf of bread at the
supermarket and they would not be selling it unless it was more profitable
to them, than to me?

devnull

غير مقروءة،
06‏/06‏/2019، 2:51:22 م6‏/6‏/2019
إلى
Unless you're an idiot, why pay inflated prices?

Do you buy your bread at the local Stop-n-Rob ($6/loaf) or do you go to Costco ($2/loaf)?

Home warranty companies determine what repairs are covered, how the appliance will be repaired and who makes the repair.  If my furnace pukes in the middle of winter, I sure as fuck don't want to wait a week for for some jackleg to come out and fix it.

Ed Pawlowski

غير مقروءة،
06‏/06‏/2019، 3:20:56 م6‏/6‏/2019
إلى
I think Frank is talking about the home seller, not the warranty seller.
In theory, if you offer a warranty to the home buyer you may be able
to get a better price or faster sale as the buyer would feel confident.

When I sold my house last year I did a radon test for $45 from a kit.
That was enough for the buyer not to do their own. They had a home
inspection, but that was a joke.

jamesfla...@gmail.com

غير مقروءة،
06‏/06‏/2019، 3:28:10 م6‏/6‏/2019
إلى
Excellent points all around. I'm in Metro Atlanta so the AC gets used quite a bit, and I've got a rare leukemia that while it's not fatal, it makes me run hot, so naturally I'd like to keep my home as cool as possible. In the three times I've renewed my warranty, my total out of pocket just for the warranty was $1800. Add in the $75 service calls, and the "not covered" expenses on the heating and air repairs, I've probably spent around $4,000 total. Looking at it that way, and realizing the savings I would see in two new units, as well as the benefit to having newer heating and air units when I sell the house in a few years, and it would have made financial sense a couple years ago to just replace them.

trader_4

غير مقروءة،
06‏/06‏/2019، 4:43:20 م6‏/6‏/2019
إلى
Typical. I didn't disagree that home warranty deals are usually not a
good idea for homeowners. I responded to what Frank posted, which you
probably didn't even read.

jamesfla...@gmail.com

غير مقروءة،
06‏/06‏/2019، 5:37:45 م6‏/6‏/2019
إلى
Trader_4 who was your reply intended for?

On a different note, I was finally able to get someone at HSA to tell me that they'll do a cash out of $1500 aggregate, but when I asked to specify if that meant aggregate for the total job, or $1500 aggregate for reach heating and air unit; or since my contract differentiates between heat/furnace and AC, is it $1500 for each of the four that will need to be replaced since I can replace the AC and magically have it be compatible with a 20 year heating system... the call taker (Gill, admittedly in the Philippines in a call center) said "sir, I really don't know, all I can do is read your contract and review a guide with suggestions based on the callers concerns. You'll have to wait for our contractor to call the resolutions and approval department with their estimate." Got to give the man credit for being honest.

trader_4

غير مقروءة،
06‏/06‏/2019، 6:04:17 م6‏/6‏/2019
إلى
On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 5:37:45 PM UTC-4, jamesfla...@gmail.com wrote:
> Trader_4 who was your reply intended for?
>
> On a different note, I was finally able to get someone at HSA to tell me that they'll do a cash out of $1500 aggregate, but when I asked to specify if that meant aggregate for the total job, or $1500 aggregate for reach heating and air unit; or since my contract differentiates between heat/furnace and AC, is it $1500 for each of the four that will need to be replaced since I can replace the AC and magically have it be compatible with a 20 year heating system...

You have four separate furnaces and ACs and they are all kaput at the
same time? Good news is that since it's 20 years old, you will save
on energy going forward. Bad news is that $1500 isn't going to make
much of a dent in the replacement of even one furnace/AC. That's about
the cost of a cheap gas furnace, uninstalled. What was the yearly cost
of the warranty?

Ralph Mowery

غير مقروءة،
06‏/06‏/2019، 6:32:15 م6‏/6‏/2019
إلى
In article <oIdKE.2$vg...@fx28.iad>, e...@snet.xxx says...

> I think Frank is talking about the home seller, not the warranty seller.
> In theory, if you offer a warranty to the home buyer you may be able
> to get a better price or faster sale as the buyer would feel confident.
>
> When I sold my house last year I did a radon test for $45 from a kit.
> That was enough for the buyer not to do their own. They had a home
> inspection, but that was a joke.

Most home inspections are a joke. The warranty I was offered when I
bought a houss that was bout 20 years old had so many exclusions and co-
pay or whatever they called , I would have had everything in the house
quit at the same time the week after I bought the house to come out on
what that warrenty would have cost.

jamesfla...@gmail.com

غير مقروءة،
06‏/06‏/2019، 7:31:53 م6‏/6‏/2019
إلى
Two furnaces, two AC's. Both AC's are in the middle of dying, pieces are literally crumbling or breaking off at the touch. Furnaces have both been repaired a time or two the last couple of years, but I'd rather replace both since the systems are connected, ensuring everything is compatible and not pieced together. Nothing like pairing 2 new AC units with 20 year old furnaces, lol. I've received one quote of $12K out the door for everything, nothing flashy, reusing duct work and old distribution boxes, manufacturers warranty, nothing else, no financing option. Received another quote for $16,500 out the door, but replacing all distribution boxes and duct work, relocating the AC's outside to meet current state code, and installing new "smart" thermostats on first and second floors, and comes with a 10 year warranty and maintenance contract, 0% for five years to pay it off.

Yearly cost of the home warranty itself is $600.00

Roger Blake

غير مقروءة،
06‏/06‏/2019، 8:28:44 م6‏/6‏/2019
إلى
On 2019-06-06, devnull <dev...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> Do you buy your bread at the local Stop-n-Rob ($6/loaf) or do you go to Costco ($2/loaf)?

Costco is ripping you off. $2/loaf and you have to pay them a membership
fee for the privilege of buying there? Aldis sells bread for $1/loaf and
no fees.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Don't talk to cops! -- http://www.DontTalkToCops.com
Badges don't grant extra rights -- http://www.CopBlock.org

trader_4

غير مقروءة،
06‏/06‏/2019، 8:57:13 م6‏/6‏/2019
إلى
On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 7:31:53 PM UTC-4, jamesfla...@gmail.com wrote:
> Two furnaces, two AC's. Both AC's are in the middle of dying, pieces are literally crumbling or breaking off at the touch. Furnaces have both been repaired a time or two the last couple of years, but I'd rather replace both since the systems are connected, ensuring everything is compatible and not pieced together. Nothing like pairing 2 new AC units with 20 year old furnaces, lol. I've received one quote of $12K out the door for everything, nothing flashy, reusing duct work and old distribution boxes, manufacturers warranty, nothing else, no financing option. Received another quote for $16,500 out the door, but replacing all distribution boxes and duct work, relocating the AC's outside to meet current state code, and installing new "smart" thermostats on first and second floors, and comes with a 10 year warranty and maintenance contract, 0% for five years to pay it off.
>
> Yearly cost of the home warranty itself is $600.00

I replaced mine in 2010. One thing I would consider is paying more for
a two stage AC. You can better optimize it, have high capacity for
when you need to cool the house fast and low output for times when
you just want it to run awhile to lower humidity. I got a two stage
gas furnace and think that's the way to go there, assuming you run
it enough. Kind of the same thing. On most days it only runs low
stage, which lets it move the air around longer, even things out,
but if it's doing recovery or it's been set back, high stage gets
the temp up much faster.

Thermostats, I like the Honeywell VisionPro series. Also if you get
two stage anything, make sure the thermostats work with it. For
example with a two stage thermostat, the thermostat that knows what
the current temp is and where it needs to go makes the decision
of whether to fire at low or high. You can use a two stage furnace
with a regular thermostat, but then it always starts on low and if
the furnace is still running like 8 mins later, then the furnaces
makes the decision to go to high. Meaning you don't have high for
8 mins when you want it and there could be times when the furnace
goes to high when the thermostat is about to turn it off because
it's at the called for temp. To do the two stages, you need an
extra wire in the cable to the thermostat.

I also evaluated paying more for higher SEER, decided to go with the 14.
It was a lot more for the better SEER and with the use here, would take
a long time to recover the extra cost. I went with Rheem, had a Ruud
before, same company, went 25 years with almost no issues, just needed
a hard start kit on the AC. I'd rather have the cheapest eqpt installed
by the best installer rather than the best gear installed by a crap
installer. So many ways they can cut corners and screw you. Like
re-using old lines, instead of new. Or brazing the lines without filling
them with nitrogen. You'd never know it, but it leaves oxidation crud
inside the lines, that eventually can screw the system.

Ed Pawlowski

غير مقروءة،
06‏/06‏/2019، 10:30:25 م6‏/6‏/2019
إلى
On 6/6/2019 7:31 PM, jamesfla...@gmail.com wrote:
> Two furnaces, two AC's. Both AC's are in the middle of dying, pieces are literally crumbling or breaking off at the touch. Furnaces have both been repaired a time or two the last couple of years, but I'd rather replace both since the systems are connected, ensuring everything is compatible and not pieced together. Nothing like pairing 2 new AC units with 20 year old furnaces, lol. I've received one quote of $12K out the door for everything, nothing flashy, reusing duct work and old distribution boxes, manufacturers warranty, nothing else, no financing option. Received another quote for $16,500 out the door, but replacing all distribution boxes and duct work, relocating the AC's outside to meet current state code, and installing new "smart" thermostats on first and second floors, and comes with a 10 year warranty and maintenance contract, 0% for five years to pay it off.
>
> Yearly cost of the home warranty itself is $600.00

If the original system was heating and then the AC was added, the duct
work may not be as good as it should be. In that case, the 16.5 job may
be the better value for performance in the long haul

If you have the money to pay up front, ask what the cash price is. That
0% has a cost some place in there.

jamesfla...@gmail.com

غير مقروءة،
07‏/06‏/2019، 6:22:06 ص7‏/6‏/2019
إلى
now you sound like the contractor with the $16,500 total replacement cost; you're recommending and saying almost everything he said as well. 2 stage systems with the appropriate thermostats to fully take advantage of those systems in order to see the savings on monthly gas and electric bills. During the typically 4 warmest summer months, my electric bill will exceed $300-$350, so it would be nice to see that drop a bit and negate some the added monthly payment I'd be taking on for the new system.

Thanks for the explanation and advice, I really appreciate it.

Biff Tannen

غير مقروءة،
07‏/06‏/2019، 6:45:47 ص7‏/6‏/2019
إلى
And then there are the clowns who vacuum the system for 30 seconds and then fill with refrigerant.

trader_4

غير مقروءة،
07‏/06‏/2019، 9:12:10 ص7‏/6‏/2019
إلى
On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 6:22:06 AM UTC-4, jamesfla...@gmail.com wrote:
> now you sound like the contractor with the $16,500 total replacement cost; you're recommending and saying almost everything he said as well. 2 stage systems with the appropriate thermostats to fully take advantage of those systems in order to see the savings on monthly gas and electric bills.

Replacing 20 year old eqpt, especially furnaces, you should see substantial
energy savings regardless of whether it's one stage or two stage. A 94%
furnace is pretty much 94%, as compared to an old one that was 80% when
it was new. I don't think two stages will even show up in additional
savings. It's a comfort issue. With the AC, on days when it's not very
hot, it allows the system to run longer, move more air, get more humidity
out, than a system that only comes on full and runs a short time. Similar
with a furnace, it lets you better size it, it can be a bit bigger on the
high end so it can warm faster when needed, but when it's just running to
maintain it runs on the lower stage, runs longer, moves more air to even
it out throughout the house. The extra cost of a two stage furnaces is
maybe $200, $300 and it usually includes other things too, like a more
energy efficient blower. The AC I think there it can cost considerably
more for a two stage, but you can price it out and you may also get
16 SEER with it too.

During the typically 4 warmest summer months, my electric bill will exceed $300-$350, so it would be nice to see that drop a bit and negate some the added monthly payment I'd be taking on for the new system.

The AC here dropped by about half with the new eqpt, so did the gas bills.

Another question is what to do with any chimneys that the old furnaces used.
If they are still needed for a water heater and you're in a cold climate,
they should have a liner sized for the WH put in. Otherwise a large chimney
with just the WH will get condensation which can lead to damage over time.

> Thanks for the explanation and advice, I really appreciate it.

No problem, any questions I can help with, feel free to ask.

trader_4

غير مقروءة،
07‏/06‏/2019، 9:17:46 ص7‏/6‏/2019
إلى
On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 3:28:10 PM UTC-4, jamesfla...@gmail.com wrote:
> Excellent points all around. I'm in Metro Atlanta so the AC gets used quite a bit, and I've got a rare leukemia that while it's not fatal, it makes me run hot, so naturally I'd like to keep my home as cool as possible. In the three times I've renewed my warranty, my total out of pocket just for the warranty was $1800. Add in the $75 service calls, and the "not covered" expenses on the heating and air repairs, I've probably spent around $4,000 total. Looking at it that way, and realizing the savings I would see in two new units, as well as the benefit to having newer heating and air units when I sell the house in a few years, and it would have made financial sense a couple years ago to just replace them.

When you said $1800 for three years, it didn't sound too bad. But that changed
when you said $4000 total. Still, without knowing all that was done, no way
to fairly evaluate it. If those 20 year old ACs had several major failures,
eg compressor or leaks, you could have spent that just on them. If most
of that money was attributable to the furnace/AC, then between not paying
for that and energy savings, you should see pretty fast payback on the
cost of the replacement.

Ed Pawlowski

غير مقروءة،
07‏/06‏/2019، 9:42:10 ص7‏/6‏/2019
إلى
On 6/7/2019 9:12 AM, trader_4 wrote:

> Replacing 20 year old eqpt, especially furnaces, you should see substantial
> energy savings regardless of whether it's one stage or two stage. A 94%
> furnace is pretty much 94%, as compared to an old one that was 80% when
> it was new. I don't think two stages will even show up in additional
> savings. It's a comfort issue. With the AC, on days when it's not very
> hot, it allows the system to run longer, move more air, get more humidity
> out, than a system that only comes on full and runs a short time. Similar
> with a furnace, it lets you better size it, it can be a bit bigger on the
> high end so it can warm faster when needed, but when it's just running to
> maintain it runs on the lower stage, runs longer, moves more air to even
> it out throughout the house. The extra cost of a two stage furnaces is
> maybe $200, $300 and it usually includes other things too, like a more
> energy efficient blower. The AC I think there it can cost considerably
> more for a two stage, but you can price it out and you may also get
> 16 SEER with it too.

Our house came with a Trane 16 SEER unit. It is AC and heat pump for
heat. To upgrade to the two speed unit would have been $3800. I
thought that was a bit too much.

There was a variable speed unit that was a $5800 upgrade.

jamesfla...@gmail.com

غير مقروءة،
07‏/06‏/2019، 10:48:42 ص7‏/6‏/2019
إلى
One of the AC's has had nearly all of "guts" replaced, including the compressor, yet it still develops leaks in the coil. Both AC units have the starter capacitor need replacement every summer, and I know I've had to get fan blades replaced at least 3 times. Looking back, I'd have to make an argument that the contractor HSA sends out is either performing shoddy work, or using sub par parts that continue to fail. Both AC's have had new coils, but again, two weeks ago when it was in the mid 90's in Atlanta, I couldn't get the temp in the house under 80 degrees until around 1AM. Of course now that today is high of 78, I'm sure the AC will have no problem keeping up and they'll tell me nothing is wrong with the units. We'll see... I'll post an update once they complete their assessment and provide me with a quote. I've got a lovely arrival time of 10am-3pm, lol

trader_4

غير مقروءة،
07‏/06‏/2019، 11:01:40 ص7‏/6‏/2019
إلى
+1

Sadly that's kind of what I saw too. Beyond 14 SEER, to get higher eff,
the payback would have been very long, good chance the system would not
last that long. And similar with two stage. IDK if that's because it's
real cost driving it, or mostly marketing, bundling two stage with
high eff, etc. Would be nice if there was a two stage, 14 SEER for
not too much more than 14 SEER. Maybe there is, but I didn't see it
when I was looking in 2010 either.

Tekkie®

غير مقروءة،
07‏/06‏/2019، 3:14:33 م7‏/6‏/2019
إلى
trader_4 posted for all of us...
I did not know bread required a warranty.

--
Tekkie

jamesfla...@gmail.com

غير مقروءة،
07‏/06‏/2019، 3:22:22 م7‏/6‏/2019
إلى
Piedmont heating and air rep came out. Guy seemed decent enough, looked over a few things, and ultimately told me nothing was wrong with my system. Recommended getting my ducts cleaned and showed me several of my air vents where it felt like air was blocked and not flowing at all while others were blowing strong cold air. Guy spent about an hour discussing the home warranties and all the repairs I've had done, suggested I ditch the home warranty and go with his AC service, or any other AC service and get on a yearly maintenance plan. Did a good job of not pitching his own company, was clear to choose whoever I wanted. Suggested the contractor quoting me $16500 for full replacement was trying to score a fat paycheck and that his quote was for $10K, but that he wouldn't be replacing any distribution boxes or duct work, suggested several things the other contractor said did not meet code, were fine, and would re-use lines after cleaning with nitrogen. Decided I'll probably do nothing for now, or call the $16,500 contractor and see if I can negotiate a lower price.

jamesfla...@gmail.com

غير مقروءة،
07‏/06‏/2019، 3:23:52 م7‏/6‏/2019
إلى
will also get ducts cleaned out since there seemed to some truth to what he showed me... vents should all be blowing equally if they are all open. Could potentially make a difference... who knows.

trader_4

غير مقروءة،
07‏/06‏/2019، 3:27:07 م7‏/6‏/2019
إلى
On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 10:48:42 AM UTC-4, jamesfla...@gmail.com wrote:
> One of the AC's has had nearly all of "guts" replaced, including the compressor, yet it still develops leaks in the coil.

That's the problem, when the thing is that old, solve one thing,
then something else goes. Also, when a compressor fails, sometimes
they go peacefully, other times they foul the system. And a tech
trying to do it on the cheap, may not properly flush it to get any
crud out.

> Both AC units have the starter capacitor need replacement every summer

Something not right there. These are $30 items and they do fail, but
you should get way more than a year out of them. My old Ruud, I had to
put a hard start kit on it, because it was having trouble starting.
That was when it was ten years old. It then went another 15, no
capacitor problems. El cheapo company may be using el cheapo crap parts.
Maybe the warranty company will only pay $10 for a cap.

> and I know I've had to get fan blades replaced at least 3 times.

That's weird? What happens to them? They are just aluminum fan blades.

Looking back, I'd have to make an argument that the contractor HSA sends out is either performing shoddy work, or using sub par parts that continue to fail. Both AC's have had new coils, but again, two weeks ago when it was in the mid 90's in Atlanta, I couldn't get the temp in the house under 80 degrees until around 1AM. Of course now that today is high of 78, I'm sure the AC will have no problem keeping up and they'll tell me nothing is wrong with the units. We'll see... I'll post an update once they complete their assessment and provide me with a quote. I've got a lovely arrival time of 10am-3pm, lol

What brand was this gem?

jamesfla...@gmail.com

غير مقروءة،
07‏/06‏/2019، 3:33:21 م7‏/6‏/2019
إلى
Was told one time the fan blades were cracked. Two other times was told they were "worn out." I didn't believe it then, but again, pretty sure we're dealing with companies that will fix whatever is fastest and cheapest. Guy today from Piedmont Heating and Air flat out admitted they can't stand the warranty companies because they never authorize the correct repairs. Said if I went with a total replacement through them, they'd install one stage Trane systems. As far as the annual replacement of the stater capacitor, I'm quite sure they are using crap replacement parts as each time they've been replaced, they look like silver soda cans that are swollen and about to burst.

trader_4

غير مقروءة،
07‏/06‏/2019، 3:47:13 م7‏/6‏/2019
إلى
On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 3:22:22 PM UTC-4, jamesfla...@gmail.com wrote:
> Piedmont heating and air rep came out. Guy seemed decent enough, looked over a few things, and ultimately told me nothing was wrong with my system. Recommended getting my ducts cleaned and showed me several of my air vents where it felt like air was blocked and not flowing at all while others were blowing strong cold air. Guy spent about an hour discussing the home warranties and all the repairs I've had done, suggested I ditch the home warranty and go with his AC service, or any other AC service and get on a yearly maintenance plan. Did a good job of not pitching his own company, was clear to choose whoever I wanted. Suggested the contractor quoting me $16500 for full replacement was trying to score a fat paycheck and that his quote was for $10K, but that he wouldn't be replacing any distribution boxes or duct work,

The thing that would concern me there is that you say some vents are
blowing little, while others are fine. I doubt that is a cleaning issue.
And the expensive company quoted replacing at least part of that duct
work stuff. Why? Did they show you problems?
If it's not done right, then having it done right
could make a big difference and improve the airflow. it's not unusual
for installers to hose this up in new construction. Sometimes just
adding a couple returns can make a big difference, especially on the
second floor.

You can probably buy a cheap inspection camera or rent one if you want
to see what the inside of the ducts look like. But i'd bet the low
airflow isn't dirt, more likely just longer runs, more bends, ducts that are
too small, etc. You should examine what you can see too. Not unusual
for ducts to be held together with duct tape, instead of the good metal
foil stuff. It dries up, then a joint leaks or falls apart entirely.

>suggested several things the other contractor said did not meet code, were fine, and would re-use lines after cleaning with nitrogen. Decided I'll probably do nothing for now, or call the $16,500 contractor and see if I can negotiate a lower price.

You might be better off getting the guy you just had back, giving you
a quote on the replacement after he's taken a good look at the whole
thing, what's right, what's not, etc. And call another vendor or
two for quote on replacement, show them the airflow problems and ask
them what they think is wrong, how it can be fixed, etc.

jamesfla...@gmail.com

غير مقروءة،
07‏/06‏/2019، 3:52:02 م7‏/6‏/2019
إلى
The guy that came out today said his would not involve replacing any duct work, said it's just old and the builder clearly used way too many distribution boxes and way too much duct lines... but he wouldn't adjust any of that for the $10K. I do feel the $16,500 was too high, but felt that I'd be getting a lot more for that price (and as I said, If I went that route, I would negotiate down as much as I could).

Good point on inspecting the ducts, but for $99 on Groupon (per HVAC unit), they'll do a full cleaning, AC tune-up and camera inspecting in the vents/ducts/returns to get everything working properly. Considering I don't think they've been cleaned in 20 years, I think it's probably a good first step.

trader_4

غير مقروءة،
07‏/06‏/2019، 3:55:17 م7‏/6‏/2019
إلى
On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 3:23:52 PM UTC-4, jamesfla...@gmail.com wrote:
> will also get ducts cleaned out since there seemed to some truth to what he showed me... vents should all be blowing equally if they are all open. Could potentially make a difference... who knows.

Typically they aren't going to all blow equally. For that to happen
they'd have to all have to have ducts that are correctly sized for
the length of the runs, the number of turns, etc. And physical problem,
eg having to run the duct inside a wall, limits it. You could have more
vents, with lower airflow and achieve the same or better cooling
but plenty of houses they just wing it and you wind up with less air
upstairs where you need it most.
My house the furnace is in the basement, the far end of the house on
second floor, no way the airflow there is the same. Bigger two
story houses here now they put in two units, one in basement, one in attic.
Of course putting a furnace/AC in the attic presents it's own problems,
20F in winter, 120F in summer and the flex duct stuff only has 1"
of insulation.....

Simple test you could do, where the cold air is blowing out, see how
cold it is. It's not a perfect test, but if it's reasonable temp
outside, maybe 80F, you should see cold air coming out that's about
17 to 20F or so cooler than whatever the air temp is near the returns
pulling air in.

Ed Pawlowski

غير مقروءة،
07‏/06‏/2019، 4:48:07 م7‏/6‏/2019
إلى
On 6/7/2019 3:22 PM, jamesfla...@gmail.com wrote:
Decided I'll probably do nothing for now, or call the $16,500
contractor and see if I can negotiate a lower price.

Did you ask how long it would take? If you call in mid July when it is
102 degrees you can probably add a couple of weeks to that. Just factor
that into your comfort decision making.

Ed Pawlowski

غير مقروءة،
07‏/06‏/2019، 4:51:43 م7‏/6‏/2019
إلى
On 6/7/2019 3:51 PM, jamesfla...@gmail.com wrote:
> The guy that came out today said his would not involve replacing any duct work, said it's just old and the builder clearly used way too many distribution boxes and way too much duct lines... but he wouldn't adjust any of that for the $10K. I do feel the $16,500 was too high, but felt that I'd be getting a lot more for that price (and as I said, If I went that route, I would negotiate down as much as I could).
>
> Good point on inspecting the ducts, but for $99 on Groupon (per HVAC unit), they'll do a full cleaning, AC tune-up and camera inspecting in the vents/ducts/returns to get everything working properly. Considering I don't think they've been cleaned in 20 years, I think it's probably a good first step.

It may help with distribution, but won't fix any of the other problems
you've been having. Present units are about the end of their useful
life. How much pain do you want to endure?

jamesfla...@gmail.com

غير مقروءة،
07‏/06‏/2019، 4:54:12 م7‏/6‏/2019
إلى
I've got 2 stories on a basement, furnace in the basement and in the attic... I can relate to the summer issues, well over 100 in the attic most of the summer

jamesfla...@gmail.com

غير مقروءة،
07‏/06‏/2019، 4:57:41 م7‏/6‏/2019
إلى
the guy today said he's 11 days out for scheduling and would be able to do full replacement of both systems in one day. That seemed like an awful lot of work for one day... but I've never done a full replacement. Just made me think they'd be cutting some corners in order to wrap up a quick install and removal.

$16,500 guy could schedule within a couple of days and said it would realistically take 2-3 days for them to fully install everything, including the new duct work and fixing builder issues, making it all up to current code. This also included fixing any potential drywall they'd have to remove as part of the process, if they had to do any. I know there is at least one place in my basement ceiling where drywall will need to be removed to get to a distribution box with 7 ducts coming off it. Awesome design by the builder for sure.

Not sure about how much pain, lol, but $16,500 will hurt the wallet.

Ed Pawlowski

غير مقروءة،
07‏/06‏/2019، 8:30:17 م7‏/6‏/2019
إلى
On 6/7/2019 4:57 PM, jamesfla...@gmail.com wrote:
> the guy today said he's 11 days out for scheduling and would be able to do full replacement of both systems in one day. That seemed like an awful lot of work for one day... but I've never done a full replacement. Just made me think they'd be cutting some corners in order to wrap up a quick install and removal.

Can be done if they have a couple of guys on each unit. Depends on how
big of a shop they are.

trader_4

غير مقروءة،
07‏/06‏/2019، 8:51:15 م7‏/6‏/2019
إلى
+1

True, with no duct work, using the same lines, and that the new furnace
matches the old furnace size. The other guy was proposing to change
some of the duct work and such, and that takes more time, all the cutting,
fitting, etc. With several guys, I can see them doing two in a day.

Another thing the OP should think about is what kind of filter? I went
with one of the 4" thick, pleated ones that requires it's own holder.
Other choice is electrostatic, the minimal 1" spots in furnace ones
are virtually useless.

trader_4

غير مقروءة،
07‏/06‏/2019، 8:55:59 م7‏/6‏/2019
إلى
On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 4:57:41 PM UTC-4, jamesfla...@gmail.com wrote:
> the guy today said he's 11 days out for scheduling and would be able to do full replacement of both systems in one day. That seemed like an awful lot of work for one day... but I've never done a full replacement. Just made me think they'd be cutting some corners in order to wrap up a quick install and removal.
>
> $16,500 guy could schedule within a couple of days and said it would realistically take 2-3 days for them to fully install everything, including the new duct work and fixing builder issues, making it all up to current code.

I'd be curious and suspicious about those "code issues". Presumably the
guy who said there were no code problems is going to pull permits?
If so, it has to pass code.

Bren

غير مقروءة،
02‏/07‏/2019، 4:44:05 م2‏/7‏/2019
إلى
replying to 1MANSHO, Bren wrote:
I have been dealing Ahs since May21st trying to get my ac unit repaired. The
contractor has been out three times and I am still no success. I have spoken
about getting a lawyer and all of the above and still nothing. The contractor
said it would be another 3 to 5 days but I called the company and they said
some kind of way the part got canceled so they have to reorder the part.
Remind you today is July 2nd.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/getting-cash-out-of-american-home-shield-experiences-sough-472770-.htm

paco...@gmail.com

غير مقروءة،
08‏/12‏/2019، 9:56:27 ص8‏/12‏/2019
إلى
On Sunday, July 17, 2016 at 8:38:47 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 7/17/2016 7:44 PM, 1MANSHO wrote:
> > replying to MAG, 1MANSHO wrote:
> > 1st of all you have the right to refuse any of there vendors.You are the
> > homeowner and it is against the law for them to make you use anyone.2nd
> > installing an AC can be a safety issue and if you feel there incapable of
> > doing the job safely and properly then you can refuse to use them for
> > safety
> > concerns.3rd if you wish to cash out and the repairs are over the cost
> > of the
> > cash out demand then they must cash you out.Tell them you want a cash
> > out NOW
> > or you will involve your attorney and they will cash you out.
> >

> MAG passed away from heat stroke when his AC broke 13 years ago. His
> policy has since lapsed.
>
> I will, however, take this opportunity to reminf all new readers that
> home insurance polices are a poor investment. Put the amount of the
> premium in a savings account and you will be able to pay for normal
> repairs.

I agree with you. For a moment I thought you were employed by one of these rip off companies. But in any event, the initial investment is at best an eye-opener. One does not typically expect that the need for a home warranty will come as soon as the first year of ownership or even the second for that matter. But things do happens and as a gentleman posted until you get a feel for the house, you are basically in the dark. But a renewal of these warranties is stupidity, plain and simple, better off putting the money in the bank for the certain events in life.

Ken

غير مقروءة،
08‏/12‏/2019، 10:12:05 ص8‏/12‏/2019
إلى
I have never purchased a home shield policy, but I have a neighbor who
did. When his hot water heater sprung a leak, he called his company for
service. First they said it would be several days before they sent
someone to replace the unit, and then his deductible was higher than
what we spent when I replaced it with them. Not only did it cost less
in spite of the insurance, they had hot water in hours rather than days.

trader_4

غير مقروءة،
08‏/12‏/2019، 5:12:35 م8‏/12‏/2019
إلى
There are car warranty companies selling the same story. One of the big
ones that's on TV all the time, if you read the reviews and stories online,
it's horrific. People sign up with a car, three months later they have
a problem, they tell them that car isn't the one they signed up. Or they
take it to a service place, the service guy says he can't get a hold of
the warranty company, they keep him on hold for an hour, won't return
calls, their guy who has to come look at it never shows up, the car
sits there for days. And this company doesn't even do the warranties,
they are just a marketing/sales company that sells policies from some
other company. If you can't write a check for a couple thousand, best
thing to do is start putting $100 or whatever away for the day when you
will need it.

Behonest

غير مقروءة،
09‏/03‏/2020، 1:44:06 م9‏/3‏/2020
إلى
replying to jamesflanagan1044, Behonest wrote:
Just want to know your end result? My water heater is supposed to cost
600.00-800.00, then their contractor was going to charge me almost 600.00 to
replace/hook up water heater.... what a scam! But what do you think AHS will
give me? What was your END result with them... I swear the call goes to the
Philippines and I think one time it was Vietnam?

Ralph Mowery

غير مقروءة،
09‏/03‏/2020، 3:21:29 م9‏/3‏/2020
إلى
In article <15fab3bcbb9a06b2$2$36311$4226...@news.newsgroupdirect.com>,
caedfaa9ed1216d60ef...@example.com says...

> replying to jamesflanagan1044, Behonest wrote:
> Just want to know your end result? My water heater is supposed to cost
> 600.00-800.00, then their contractor was going to charge me almost 600.00 to
> replace/hook up water heater.... what a scam! But what do you think AHS will
> give me? What was your END result with them... I swear the call goes to the
> Philippines and I think one time it was Vietnam?

The plumber I hired sent out 2 men and they charged me $ 200 labor,
about $ 100 for the parts and $ 600 for the heater.
They were here slightly less than 2 hours. I did get a head start as I
had cut the power and had the heater almost drained of water when they
got here.

Ed Pawlowski

غير مقروءة،
09‏/03‏/2020، 4:05:52 م9‏/3‏/2020
إلى
On 3/9/2020 1:44 PM, Behonest wrote:
> replying to jamesflanagan1044, Behonest wrote:
> Just want to know your end result? My water heater is supposed to cost
> 600.00-800.00, then their contractor was going to charge me almost
> replace/hook up water heater.... what a scam! But what do you think AHS
> will
> give me?

Tube of KY jelly to ease the pain

Sue wolf

غير مقروءة،
02‏/07‏/2020، 4:14:05 م2‏/7‏/2020
إلى
replying to MAG, Sue wolf wrote:
Goodluck,,,still waiting for my pay out for furnace replacement,,,they offered
me 895. Still didn't get it,,,followed their instructions,,,no one answers the
phone,,even live chat cut me off

Tekkie®

غير مقروءة،
03‏/07‏/2020، 4:19:47 م3‏/7‏/2020
إلى

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 20:14:02 +0000, Sue wolf posted for all of
us to digest...
I would contact your state officials be it: attorney general,
consumer protection, insurance commision, etc. Also contact the
TV stations you see their ads on, they may be motivated to get
off their ass to do something for you.

--
Tekkie

Clare Snyder

غير مقروءة،
03‏/07‏/2020، 9:32:52 م3‏/7‏/2020
إلى
Attempting to get money out of ANY for profit home insurance company
is a fool's errand

trader_4

غير مقروءة،
07‏/07‏/2020، 10:34:29 ص7‏/7‏/2020
إلى
I'd say buying the protection to begin with was the fool's errand. But if
you have it, it's certainly worthwhile trying to collect on it, if you
believe you are owed a reasonable sum that warrants it.

Ade

غير مقروءة،
31‏/01‏/2021، 12:15:07 م31‏/1‏/2021
إلى
I opted for cash out after the AHS contractor asked me to pay $1020 out of pocket.. I had my own contractor replaced the water heater for $830. After submitting the receipt AHS/Frontdoor decided to pay me $560. I have been waiting for the check for the past nine months. I have called on several occasions no luck. It’s frustrating. The customer service reps forget about you immediately they hang up.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/getting-cash-out-of-american-home-shield-experiences-sough-472770-.htm

Heywood

غير مقروءة،
31‏/01‏/2021، 12:25:00 م31‏/1‏/2021
إلى
On 1/31/2021 12:15 PM, Ade wrote:
> I opted for cash out after the AHS contractor asked me to pay $1020 out
> of pocket.. I had my own contractor replaced the water heater for $830.
> After submitting the receipt AHS/Frontdoor decided to pay me $560. I
> have been waiting for the check for the past nine months. I have called
> on several occasions no luck. It’s frustrating. The customer service
> reps forget about you immediately they hang up.

Anyone that has a so called home warranty is being take for a ride.
They are a waste of money. Put that premium into a savings account and
you will come out far ahead over time.

Rod Speed

غير مقروءة،
31‏/01‏/2021، 12:51:18 م31‏/1‏/2021
إلى

"Ade" <2b6690bf336b1b8d...@example.com> wrote in message
> I opted for cash out after the AHS contractor asked me to pay $1020 out of
> pocket.. I had my own contractor replaced the water heater for $830. After
> submitting the receipt AHS/Frontdoor decided to pay me $560. I have been
> waiting for the check for the past nine months. I have called on several
> occasions no luck. It’s frustrating. The customer service reps forget
> about you immediately they hang up.

He is unlikely to care about what happened to you after 17 years.

Peeler

غير مقروءة،
31‏/01‏/2021، 1:57:39 م31‏/1‏/2021
إلى
On Mon, 1 Feb 2021 04:51:05 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

<FLUSH senile asshole's latest trollshit>

--
Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.

Patricia Rodriguez

غير مقروءة،
26‏/09‏/2021، 1:32:25 م26‏/9‏/2021
إلى
They will pay you but only when your contractor has completed the replacement and you send them the final bill.
0 رسالة جديدة