insulating concrete wall & ceiling in cold cellar

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Jan 14, 2022, 8:27:16 PM (5 days ago) Jan 14
I'm considering using some sort of rigid insulation on the inside
walls and ceiling of my cold cellar, which is under the front porch -
presently bare poured concrete. I don't wish to frame & finish but
just insulate ~ 2 inch thick rigid 4 x 8 sheets - but what
product would be easiest to work with and resist moisture,
mold & mildew during the summer humidity ?
A quick look at the building store web sites has served to
convince me how out-of-touch I am ..
Polyisocyanurate ; graphite-enhanced expandable polystyrene ;
extruded polystryene ; etc
Attachment ideas also - rust resistant tapcon screws ?
Any suggestions are welcome.
John T.

danny burstein

Jan 14, 2022, 8:36:09 PM (5 days ago) Jan 14
In <mr74ughdkm03kfac6...@4ax.com> hub...@ccanoemail.ca writes:

>I'm considering using some sort of rigid insulation on the inside
>walls and ceiling of my cold cellar, which is under the front porch -
>presently bare poured concrete. I don't wish to frame & finish but
>just insulate ~ 2 inch thick rigid 4 x 8 sheets - but what
>product would be easiest to work with and resist moisture,
>mold & mildew during the summer humidity ?

If you're installing this on the _inside_ of the walls,
you have to be _super duper careful_ about flammability
concerns. This refers to both the material itself and
any fireproofing and cladding.

dan...@panix.com

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Jan 14, 2022, 9:20:25 PM (5 days ago) Jan 14
On Sat, 15 Jan 2022 01:36:03 -0000 (UTC), danny burstein
<dan...@panix.com> wrote:

>In <mr74ughdkm03kfac6...@4ax.com> hub...@ccanoemail.ca writes:
>
>>I'm considering using some sort of rigid insulation on the inside
>>walls and ceiling of my cold cellar, which is under the front porch -
>>presently bare poured concrete. I don't wish to frame & finish but
>>just insulate ~ 2 inch thick rigid 4 x 8 sheets - but what
>>product would be easiest to work with and resist moisture,
>>mold & mildew during the summer humidity ?
>
>If you're installing this on the _inside_ of the walls,
>you have to be _super duper careful_ about flammability
>concerns. This refers to both the material itself and
>any fireproofing and cladding.

Thanks for the warning - inside it is.
I was hoping to find a product that didn't need to
be cladded-over ... perhaps I'm beat before I start ?
I recently used a couple small pieces of
ROCKWOOL COMFORTBOARD 80 for 2 attic access spots
- it seems benign for fires but 2 inch thick is quite heavy !
and would involve framing .. 1 inch is just R4 ..
John T.

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 14, 2022, 11:10:04 PM (5 days ago) Jan 14
The foam materials will be made from a modified material but the code
still requires they be covered. They will not burn on their own but
will if there is another source of combustion.

I'd use the 4 x 8 sheets putting it up with construction adhesive and
then put 3/8 drywall over it.

This is going to be more expensive but will give you some ideas on how
to work with the materials

www.insofast.com

gfre...@aol.com

Jan 14, 2022, 11:56:22 PM (5 days ago) Jan 14
Make sure you put up a good vapor barrier on the outside wall before
you put the mold growth media in there. ;)
You still might want to dehumidify the cellar.
I seem to remember the humidity runs high in there.
I haven't had one since 1964. The walls were weeping at times tho.