Insurance for

micky

Nov 26, 2021, 3:39:47 PM11/26/21
The HOA has decided to hire someone to clean up small amounts of litter,
mostly that escape from trash cans on recycling and trash days, when
emptied into the trucks.

The management company found a place that will charge 600/month. Number
of hours was not specified in the offer, only what would be done

OTOH, I think we should hire a neigborhood kid. Even if we paid him
$15/hour that would be 40 hours a month, OR, he'd only have to work 16
hours a month. Plus it would be good for the kid**, and we'd write him
a recommendation when he wanted to get a better job.

AFAICT, the only issue is that that the cleaning company comes with a
million dollars worth of insurance in case of injury.

But our general liability policy, that we already pay for, might have a
medical expense limit of 5000 dollars. I'd rather ask you before also
asking the insurance agent, so tell me what the following means:

LIMITS OF INSURANCE
EACH OCCURRENCE LIMIT $1,000,000
DAMAGE TO PREMISES
RENTED TO YOU LIMIT $1,000,000 ANY ONE PREMISES
MEDICAL EXPENSE LIMIT $5,000 ANY ONE PERSON
PERSONAL & ADVERTISING INJURY LIMIT
$1,000,000 ANY ONE PERSON OR ORGANIZATION
GENERAL AGGREGATE LIMIT $2,000,000

What is a Personal & Advertising Injury? Is the limit $5000 or one
million?

All the kid has to do is walk around and pick up litter, and once in
while add more baggies to the dog stations (I never go where the dogs
walk, but I did once fix the dispensor when it got knocked down by a
car.)

How can he injure himself more than 5000? By getting a cut, then an
infection, then gangrene or dying of sepsis?

This could also affect an individual homeowner who hired a kid to help
him take junk out of the basement, do gardening, mow his lawn, etc.
Would the chance of high medical bills stop you? Or is that your
homeowner policy has a higher limit?

**The boy who used to mow my lawn is now a VP of a Fortune 50
corporation and president of his own division of it. He said other
kids teased him that he had to work so hard, in the heat sometimes, but
he didn't mind the teasing because he made 2 or 3 times or more what
they did at McDonalds etc.

micky

Nov 26, 2021, 3:42:27 PM11/26/21
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 26 Nov 2021 15:39:46 -0500, micky
<NONONO...@fmguy.com> wrote:

>What is a Personal & Advertising Injury? Is the limit $5000 or one
>million?

Personal and advertising injury is typically an infringement on a person
or business’s personal or intellectual rights. It can include libel,
slander, and copyright infringement.

Why does an HOA need insurance for that? Why does it get one whole
line out of 5 or 9 lines.

At any rate, it doens't apply to picking up litter so the limit for that
seems to be 5000. Maybe we could get a rider to make it higher.

Rod Speed

Nov 26, 2021, 4:09:14 PM11/26/21
micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com> wrote

> The HOA has decided to hire someone to clean up small
> amounts of litter, mostly that escape from trash cans on
> recycling and trash days, when emptied into the trucks.

> The management company found a place that will charge 600/month.
> Number of hours was not specified in the offer, only what would be done

> OTOH, I think we should hire a neigborhood kid. Even if we paid him
> $15/hour that would be 40 hours a month, OR, he'd only have to work
> 16 hours a month. Plus it would be good for the kid**, and we'd write
> him a recommendation when he wanted to get a better job.

> AFAICT, the only issue is that that the cleaning company comes
> with a million dollars worth of insurance in case of injury.

> But our general liability policy, that we already pay for, might have
> a medical expense limit of 5000 dollars. I'd rather ask you before also
> asking the insurance agent, so tell me what the following means:

> LIMITS OF INSURANCE
> EACH OCCURRENCE LIMIT $1,000,000
> DAMAGE TO PREMISES
> RENTED TO YOU LIMIT $1,000,000 ANY ONE PREMISES
> MEDICAL EXPENSE LIMIT $5,000 ANY ONE PERSON
> PERSONAL & ADVERTISING INJURY LIMIT
> $1,000,000 ANY ONE PERSON OR ORGANIZATION
> GENERAL AGGREGATE LIMIT $2,000,000

> What is a Personal & Advertising Injury?

Personal injury is obvious.

Advertising is presumably due to being sued for false advertising.

> Is the limit $5000 or one million?

> All the kid has to do is walk around and pick up litter, and once in
> while add more baggies to the dog stations (I never go where the dogs
> walk, but I did once fix the dispensor when it got knocked down by a
> car.)

> How can he injure himself more than 5000? By getting a
> cut, then an infection, then gangrene or dying of sepsis?

Stabbing himself with an infect syringe and getting HIV/AIDS etc that way.

> This could also affect an individual homeowner who hired a kid
> to help him take junk out of the basement, do gardening, mow
> his lawn, etc. Would the chance of high medical bills stop you?

Not me but then I take risks myself and we have
a very decent single payer medical system.

> Or is that your homeowner policy has a higher limit?

I don't have one.

> **The boy who used to mow my lawn is now a VP of a Fortune 50
> corporation and president of his own division of it.

Unusual result tho.

> He said other kids teased him that he had to work so hard, in
> the heat sometimes, but he didn't mind the teasing because
> he made 2 or 3 times or more what they did at McDonalds etc.

But those doing drug dealing made a lot more than he did.

Hookers do too.

Peeler

Nov 26, 2021, 4:10:41 PM11/26/21
On Sat, 27 Nov 2021 08:09:04 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

williamwright addressing Rodent Speed:
"You are an insecure blathermouth with an inferiority complex."
MID: <j08dic...@mid.individual.net>

Thomas

Nov 26, 2021, 4:48:53 PM11/26/21
Pick up your own shit. Do not be a slob.

gfre...@aol.com

Nov 26, 2021, 6:47:51 PM11/26/21
wrote:

>The HOA has decided to hire someone to clean up small amounts of litter,
>mostly that escape from trash cans on recycling and trash days, when
>emptied into the trucks.
>
>The management company found a place that will charge 600/month. Number
>of hours was not specified in the offer, only what would be done
>
>OTOH, I think we should hire a neigborhood kid. Even if we paid him
>$15/hour that would be 40 hours a month, OR, he'd only have to work 16
>hours a month. Plus it would be good for the kid**, and we'd write him
>a recommendation when he wanted to get a better job.
>

>AFAICT, the only issue is that that the cleaning company comes with a
>million dollars worth of insurance in case of injury.

Spin the wheel, take your chances but most HOAs will require insurance
and licensing. The lawyers tell them to do it.

People get sued for dumb stuff.

Jim Joyce

Nov 26, 2021, 6:49:24 PM11/26/21
wrote:

>The HOA has decided to hire someone to clean up small amounts of litter,
>mostly that escape from trash cans on recycling and trash days, when
>emptied into the trucks.

I wonder why the residents who live there can't just pick up what they
see. That's how we do it in my neighborhood.

micky

Nov 26, 2021, 8:50:13 PM11/26/21
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 26 Nov 2021 18:47:21 -0500,
A licensed litter picker. What will they think of next!

> The lawyers tell them to do it.
>
>People get sued for dumb stuff.

I wrote
Jim wrote:
>I wonder why the residents who live there can't just pick up what they
>see. That's how we do it in my neighborhood.

A lot, maybe most of them do pick up stuff but a) they get annoyed when
there is extra litter after stuff escapes when the trash men are pouring
stuff in the truck. Some people fill their trashbins loosely, and don't
use big trash bags

b) I have over 100 neighbors spreead over 6 or 7 blocks of streets. I'll
bet your n'hood is less dense, and when there is a crowd, people behave
differently. Worse. The same people behave better in smaller groups
but the bigger the crowd the worse they behave. That's how Jan 6 got so
many people to do such terrible stuff. Why Mr. Clark told us in the 9th
grade, Never be a part of a mob. 100 households mostly coming and going
at different times is nowhere near a mob but some feel no responsibiiity
because they didn't drop it, they're in a hurry in the morning and
tired or hungry in the evening.

BTW, more of it ends up in my yard, I think. I must be downwind, and
some is caught by the fence, or it goes over the fence which then stops
the wind from taking it farther. I find quite a bit in my yard and
lots of it under the evergreen bushes, between them and the fence. I
have to crawl on my knees 15 or 20 feet to get the stuff out, about
twice a year.

gfre...@aol.com

Nov 26, 2021, 9:31:50 PM11/26/21
On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 17:49:18 -0600, Jim Joyce <no...@none.invalid>
wrote:
Same here. The neighbors police up their neighborhoods and the road
off the main drag (US41) coming down here. In fact we take care of the
river too. The other 4 streams flowing into Estero Bay have cleanup
days and they show pictures of a dumpster full of trash. If you did a
cleanup of the Estero River west of 41, you wouldn't fill a bathroom
trash can. Some of us take a minute and pick that stuff up. It keeps
the place cleaner. If people see trash, they throw trash. Only
scumbags throw the first piece in a spot with no trash.
You say this is mostly the hauler not picking up after himself?
Start with the trash hauler. They don't want to be on the news,
everyone has a movie camera in their pocket these days.

Most of the trash in the water comes off the streets. If you can't get
their attention, call "Eyes on the Bay" ;-)

gfre...@aol.com

Nov 26, 2021, 9:41:49 PM11/26/21
On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 20:50:13 -0500, micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 26 Nov 2021 18:47:21 -0500,
>gfre...@aol.com wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 15:39:46 -0500, micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>The HOA has decided to hire someone to clean up small amounts of litter,
>>>mostly that escape from trash cans on recycling and trash days, when
>>>emptied into the trucks.
>>>
>>>The management company found a place that will charge 600/month. Number
>>>of hours was not specified in the offer, only what would be done
>>>
>>>OTOH, I think we should hire a neigborhood kid. Even if we paid him
>>>$15/hour that would be 40 hours a month, OR, he'd only have to work 16
>>>hours a month. Plus it would be good for the kid**, and we'd write him
>>>a recommendation when he wanted to get a better job.
>>>

>>>AFAICT, the only issue is that that the cleaning company comes with a
>>>million dollars worth of insurance in case of injury.
>>
>>Spin the wheel, take your chances but most HOAs will require insurance
>>and licensing.
>
>A licensed litter picker. What will they think of next!

They are honest here and don't call it a license, it is a Business Tax
Receipt but most people call it a Business or Occupational License.
It just tells all the tax people where you are. It makes it easier for
the HOA to write the 1099.

They do sell Professional Licenses for strange shit here but custodian
isn't on that list.

Now, if you want to paint fingernails or braid hair, you need a
license.
It might be easier to move.

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 26, 2021, 10:01:42 PM11/26/21
Maybe the real answer is better trash people. We have 675 houses in our
community and no trash pickers. Maybe once a month something fall out,
usually from the recycle bins. When I go out to get the bin I just put
it back.

micky

Nov 27, 2021, 1:44:59 AM11/27/21
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 26 Nov 2021 21:41:18 -0500,
gfre...@aol.com wrote:

>Now, if you want to paint fingernails or braid hair, you need a
>license.

I think hairdressers had a long problem history
I need the exercise.

micky

Nov 27, 2021, 5:36:56 AM11/27/21
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 26 Nov 2021 22:01:36 -0500, Ed Pawlowski
<e...@snet.xxx> wrote:

>On 11/26/2021 8:50 PM, micky wrote:
>
>> I wrote
>>

>Maybe the real answer is better trash people. We have 675 houses in our
>community and no trash pickers. Maybe once a month something fall out,
>usually from the recycle bins. When I go out to get the bin I just put
>it back.

Maybe everybody puts their trash in trash bags?