Re: Why do circuit breakers go up for on and down for off?

Carlos E.R.

Mar 22, 2023, 3:52:33 PM3/22/23
On 2023-02-28 12:39, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Feb 2023 18:59:50 -0000, Mark Lloyd <not....@all.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/17/23 16:21, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>>
>> [snip]

>>> I think that the legal way to do it here is touch the brake lightly
>>> several times to make the red lights blink.
>>
>> "touch the brake lightly" when you need to do it hard?
>
> Tapping the brake means "there's a cop ahead, do not overtake me".

Different country, different language :-)

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Peeler

Mar 22, 2023, 4:57:53 PM3/22/23
On Wed, 22 Mar 2023 20:47:42 +0100, cretinous Carlos E.R., another brain
dead troll-feeding senile ASSHOLE, blathered:

> Different country, different language :-)

Two trolling retards, both with exactly the same shit for brains!

Commander Kinsey

Apr 1, 2023, 1:56:37 PM4/1/23
Means the same thing in essence. "Slow down".

First time I saw someone repeatedly lowering his flat palm, I thought (and so did the colleague I was car sharing with) he was trying to tell us we'd left something open. Apparently he was telling us to slow down as there was an accident ahead.

I was once on holiday reversing out of a layby on a blind bend in the countryside. A German tourist raised one finger in the air. I assumed that meant "it's ok to go", so I reversed and nearly slammed into a passing car. Apparently he meant "wait". Typical German efficiency, only use a single finger instead of the whole hand to stop someone.

Carlos E.R.

May 6, 2023, 10:02:25 AM5/6/23
Means "one minute". Wait a minute. Universal. :-p

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Peeler

May 6, 2023, 11:36:25 AM5/6/23
On Sat, 6 May 2023 14:07:28 +0200, cretinous Carlos E.R., another brain dead
troll-feeding senile ASSHOLE, blathered:

> Means "one minute". Wait a minute. Universal. :-p

And you HAD to revive another over one month old idiotic "thread" started by
the trolling attention whore, you troll-feeding sick swine!

Rod Speed

May 7, 2023, 6:24:48 AM5/7/23
On Sat, 06 May 2023 22:07:28 +1000, Carlos E.R. <robin_...@es.invalid>
Nothing like universal. Never heard of that and doesnt happen here.

Max Demian

May 7, 2023, 6:48:26 AM5/7/23
On 07/05/2023 11:22, Rod Speed wrote:
> On Sat, 06 May 2023 22:07:28 +1000, Carlos E.R.
> <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2023-04-01 19:56, Commander Kinsey wrote:

>>>  First time I saw someone repeatedly lowering his flat palm, I
>>> thought (and so did the colleague I was car sharing with) he was
>>> trying to tell us we'd left something open.  Apparently he was
>>> telling us to slow down as there was an accident ahead.

I thought the Highway Code says it's "I am prepared/suggest you overtake
(or some such).

>>>  I was once on holiday reversing out of a layby on a blind bend in
>>> the countryside.  A German tourist raised one finger in the air.  I
>>> assumed that meant "it's ok to go", so I reversed and nearly slammed
>>> into a passing car.  Apparently he meant "wait".  Typical German
>>> efficiency, only use a single finger instead of the whole hand to
>>> stop someone.
>>
>> Means "one minute". Wait a minute. Universal. :-p
>
> Nothing like universal. Never heard of that and doesnt happen here.

Neither have I. It might mean, "Please keep quiet" in company or a meeting.

(*Two* fingers of course means "Fuck off," probably in Oz as well is the UK.

--
Max Demian

Peeler

May 7, 2023, 11:54:51 AM5/7/23
On Sun, 07 May 2023 20:22:50 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID: <XnsA97071CF43...@85.214.115.223>

Rod Speed

May 7, 2023, 2:10:12 PM5/7/23
On Sun, 07 May 2023 20:46:43 +1000, Max Demian <max_d...@bigfoot.com>
wrote:
Used to in my youth but a finger with the other fingers
one the fingerer's side is much more common now.

Peeler

May 7, 2023, 2:34:03 PM5/7/23
On Mon, 08 May 2023 04:08:21 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Commander Kinsey

May 7, 2023, 5:50:00 PM5/7/23
And I'm supposed to know this how? It's not taught in school.

Vir Campestris

May 9, 2023, 8:09:18 AM5/9/23
On 07/05/2023 11:46, Max Demian wrote:
> Neither have I. It might mean, "Please keep quiet" in company or a meeting.
>
> (*Two* fingers of course means "Fuck off," probably in Oz as well is the
> UK.

In quite a lot of the world a single (usually middle) finger is a
phallic symbol corresponding to the UK V sign. AFAIK the V sign is from
English heritage only.

Andy

rbowman

May 9, 2023, 11:24:19 AM5/9/23
On Tue, 9 May 2023 13:07:28 +0100, Vir Campestris wrote:

> In quite a lot of the world a single (usually middle) finger is a
> phallic symbol corresponding to the UK V sign. AFAIK the V sign is from
> English heritage only.

Doesn't it supposedly have something to do with longbows? Or victory?

Peeler

May 9, 2023, 11:54:34 AM5/9/23
On 9 May 2023 15:24:11 GMT, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> Doesn't it supposedly have something to do with longbows? Or victory?

Is this still that idiotic "circuit breakers" thread started by the trolling
Scottish attention whore, you demented senile Yankee blabbermouths?

--
More absolutely idiotic blather by the resident senile gossip:
"My mother sometimes made a cherry chiffon cake that started with a

Max Demian

May 9, 2023, 12:10:36 PM5/9/23
Depends on which way round it is. Palm inward (usually with up and down
movements) means "fuck off", palm towards the spectator means "victory"
or "peace" (man).

The longbow explanation is dubious.

--
Max Demian

Fredxx

May 9, 2023, 12:18:04 PM5/9/23
I was once told that it is associated with longbows, where captured
archers would have their fingers removed.

The two fingered sign was to say to the enemy I have my two required
fingers to pull back the string on my longbow.

Max Demian

May 10, 2023, 6:36:26 AM5/10/23
Take it up with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_sign if you have any
evidence.

--
Max Demian

Fredxx

May 10, 2023, 9:05:07 AM5/10/23
Interesting, snopes has a similar dismissive article for the one-finger
salute.