How many gallons of water for average bath tub filling?

Yametazamwa mara 1,247
Ruka hadi kwenye ujumbe wa kwanza ambao haujasomwa

Sally

hayajasomwa,
1 Mac 2003, 12:46:0601/03/2003
kwa
For an average size bathtub does anyone know how many gallons of water it
takes to fill it?

Thanks,
Walleye

D. Gerasimatos

hayajasomwa,
1 Mac 2003, 14:59:1901/03/2003
kwa
In article <yl68a.636906$HG.117...@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,

Sally <pitn...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>For an average size bathtub does anyone know how many gallons of water it
>takes to fill it?

It depends on the tub. Tubs hold anywhere from 35 to 50 gallons or so.

Dimitri

Tim Fischer

hayajasomwa,
1 Mac 2003, 15:08:5801/03/2003
kwa
"Sally" <pitn...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> For an average size bathtub does anyone know how many gallons of water it
> takes to fill it?

Why go the average? Just calculate it yourself:

1) turn off all water-using appliances, and tell family to not use any water
for the moment.
2) Read the meter.
3) Fill tub to your liking
4) Reread the meter.
5) Do the math

Done!

-Tim

RSCamaro

hayajasomwa,
1 Mac 2003, 16:07:0701/03/2003
kwa
On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 20:08:58 GMT, "Tim Fischer" <no...@nospam.com>
wrote:

I may be wrong but don't most water meters read in 100 gal. intervals?

...Ron
--
68' RS Camaro
88' Formula Bird

Colbyt

hayajasomwa,
1 Mac 2003, 17:16:5901/03/2003
kwa

"Tim Fischer" <no...@nospam.com> wrote in message

A simpler method would be to close the drain, fill and pour a 5 gallon
bucket until the water is 1" deep. Then measure the depth of the tub and
multiply to arrive at a total.

Steve

hayajasomwa,
1 Mac 2003, 18:07:5101/03/2003
kwa
According to a Google search I just did, there are 7.481 gallons per cubic
foot. Simply calculate the cubic footage, multiply by that multiplier, and
presto!

Steve

--
Steve

MHO ONLY..... YMM(and probably does)V

"Sally" <pitn...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

hayajasomwa,
1 Mac 2003, 18:22:3501/03/2003
kwa
On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 23:07:51 GMT, someone wrote:

>... there are 7.481 gallons per cubic

>foot. Simply calculate the cubic footage, multiply by that multiplier, and
>presto!

"Simply"???? There's the problem. The bottom is rounded and the sides
taper, the corners are rounded. (That's why the "measure one inch"
method proposed by another poster won't work, either.) The water
meter may be a little rough for these snmall qtys.

"Easiest" way would be to pour in buckets (my 4-gal household bucket
has incremental marks), *IF* he has the tub already. Otherwise, ask
the mfg regarding a specific model.

But if he just wants to know *about* what the *usual* is for planning
purposes, that has already been answered. He did SAY "average", not
"exact" or "specific".

-v.

andy everett

hayajasomwa,
1 Mac 2003, 18:35:3001/03/2003
kwa
Or time how long to fill a 1, 2, or 5 gallon bucket then time how long
to fill the tub, use the numbers, do the math.

Steve

hayajasomwa,
1 Mac 2003, 19:12:5001/03/2003
kwa
"v" <v.viv...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Relax. There is no problem.

I figured that anyone who has an IQ of at least room temperature could do
the "simple" math in order to figure the number of gallons. But then, the
person did ask for the "average", and for that, one would have to take the
measurements for several tubs, add them together, and divide by the number
of bathtubs, wouldn't they. And then, there is the mean and the median.

I guarantee you that curves, and all, with that formula, one could hit it
pretty close. And I believe close is what the original poster was interested
in, now wasn't it? And after all, no one really did write in with the true
mathematical formula for determining an "average", did they?

Steve

hayajasomwa,
1 Mac 2003, 19:14:0401/03/2003
kwa
"andy everett" <vze2...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> Or time how long to fill a 1, 2, or 5 gallon bucket then time how long
> to fill the tub, use the numbers, do the math.

Some people seem to have problems with simple math.

Colbyt

hayajasomwa,
1 Mac 2003, 20:57:2401/03/2003
kwa

"Steve" <desertt...@lvcm.com> wrote in message

For the math impaired, the anally retentive and the perfectionist among you,
fill the d*** tub five gallons at a time with a bucket. Make little tally
marks on the wall so you won't lose count. This will allow for all possible
shapes and variances.

Tim Fischer

hayajasomwa,
1 Mac 2003, 22:11:3201/03/2003
kwa
How are any of these methods easier than just reading the meter??

-Tim

Phisherman

hayajasomwa,
1 Mac 2003, 22:13:2701/03/2003
kwa
On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 20:38:09 -0500, TrentŠ <> wrote:

>On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 23:07:51 GMT, "Steve" <desertt...@lvcm.com>
>wrote:

>>According to a Google search I just did, there are 7.481 gallons per cubic
>>foot. Simply calculate the cubic footage, multiply by that multiplier, and
>>presto!
>>
>>Steve
>

>And how would you go about calculating that volume? lol

The way I'd do it is using calculus. But if that's too tough, you can
make a drawing showing the dimensions at the top and bottom and ignore
the curves (or measuring halfway up the curves). You'll get a fairly
accurate volume. If you use inches, divide your total cubic inches by
321 to get total gallons. I'd guess an average bathtub to be around
100 gallons, maybe more.

the original greggie gibson

hayajasomwa,
1 Mac 2003, 22:42:5901/03/2003
kwa
Tim Fischer wrote:

> How are any of these methods easier than just reading the meter??
>
> -Tim

you have a water meter that is that accurate?

Don K

hayajasomwa,
1 Mac 2003, 23:37:4901/03/2003
kwa
"Sally" <pitn...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> For an average size bathtub does anyone know how many gallons of water it
> takes to fill it?

It depends on who is in the tub.
Eureka!

Don

Tim Fischer

hayajasomwa,
1 Mac 2003, 23:47:4401/03/2003
kwa
"the original greggie gibson" <alt.consumer...@newsgroup.to> wrote
in message news:75f8a.29$It1...@news.inreach.com...

I hope so -- my water bill is based on it being so...

On the other hand, let's assume it isn't perfect. Could it possibly be
worse than timing a 5-gallon bucket then timing the fill and doing the math?
(makes lots of assumptions such as constant pressure...)

-Tim

Tim Fischer

hayajasomwa,
1 Mac 2003, 23:54:3301/03/2003
kwa

"the original greggie gibson" <alt.consumer...@newsgroup.to> wrote
in message news:75f8a.29$It1...@news.inreach.com...

OK, so you made me curious, so I tested it.

Read meter -- it said xxxxx3.5 gallons
Filled bucket to 5 gallon mark.
Read meter -- it said xxxxx8.5 gallons

So yes, it appears my meter is accurate.

-Tim

the original greggie gibson

hayajasomwa,
2 Mac 2003, 00:23:3702/03/2003
kwa
Tim Fischer wrote:

> "the original greggie gibson" wrote

> in message news:75f8a.29$It1...@news.inreach.com...
>
> >Tim Fischer wrote:
> >

> >>How are any of these methods easier than just reading the meter??
> >>
> >>-Tim
> >>

> >you have a water meter that is that accurate?
>

> OK, so you made me curious, so I tested it.
>
> Read meter -- it said xxxxx3.5 gallons
> Filled bucket to 5 gallon mark.
> Read meter -- it said xxxxx8.5 gallons
>
> So yes, it appears my meter is accurate.
>
> -Tim

I'm impressed. If memory serves me right, the water meters I am familiar
with were only accurate to within 100 gallons.

COCONUTS

hayajasomwa,
2 Mac 2003, 01:22:5902/03/2003
kwa
gee....I would fill the bath tub to the desired level...,mark it....dip out
a couple of 5 gal bucket fulls...mark it....measure the difference....find
the depth of the water thats in the tub and do the math..
sorta like if three bucket fulls drop it an inch....thats fifteen gals...and
say there is 10 inches left....hmmmm lets see....one inch =three bucket
fulls....how many bucketfuls are in 10 inches?.....30????...golly...well
that could be a lotta dippin....so 30 bucketfulls times 5 gals ....(taking
off socks).....hmmm....30 times five....welll three times five..is
er...well..15...yeah...15...(lost one finger partly cuz of a freak
lawmmover, which i usually just reserve for higher math)....so 15
gals...but..wait...its 3 times 10...wow...(removes other socks from family
members).....so...thats about 150 gallons........plus the 15 we already
dipped....not counting the spillage from the hounds jumpin in....so....er
well...lets see...165 gals...

Like I told maw..there is was a good use to that dern oil tank in the
basement....

coconuts

"Don K" <dk@dont_bother_me.com> wrote in message

---

Douglas Miller

hayajasomwa,
2 Mac 2003, 10:42:0202/03/2003
kwa
In article <6qednY1RDo2...@giganews.com>, "Colbyt" <col...@lexkyweb.com> wrote:

>"Tim Fischer" <no...@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> "Sally" <pitn...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > For an average size bathtub does anyone know how many gallons of water
>it
>> > takes to fill it?

About 35 US gallons.

>> Why go the average? Just calculate it yourself:
>>
>> 1) turn off all water-using appliances, and tell family to not use any
>water
>> for the moment.
>> 2) Read the meter.
>> 3) Fill tub to your liking
>> 4) Reread the meter.
>> 5) Do the math

This won't work -- one tick on a meter is IIRC one hundred cubic feet, which
is a *lot* more than a bathtub holds. Using a water meter to measure the
capacity of a bathtub is like using a yardstick to measure the length of an
ant.

>A simpler method would be to close the drain, fill and pour a 5 gallon
>bucket until the water is 1" deep. Then measure the depth of the tub and
>multiply to arrive at a total.

That doesn't work either. Bathtubs are wider at the top than at the bottom, so
each additional inch of depth represents a greater volume of water than the

Regards,

Jeff

hayajasomwa,
2 Mac 2003, 12:05:0802/03/2003
kwa
On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 23:22:35 GMT, v.viv...@verizon.net (v) wrote:

>|But if he just wants to know *about* what the *usual* is for planning
>|purposes, that has already been answered. He did SAY "average", not
>|"exact" or "specific".

Perhaps, but this is Usenet and as such it will be necessary to take into
account every possible nuance in the question, every possible solution to the
answer, backed with scientific notation and mathematical explanations
befitting a Nobel laureate and every possible method of flaming those who
thought this was a simple question.

Keep America beautiful. Swallow your beer cans. [www.bongoboy.com]

Steve

hayajasomwa,
2 Mac 2003, 12:10:4202/03/2003
kwa
It is simple. Just as you do when you calculate any other irregular area,
you break it into known dimensions either mathematically, or to scale. Then
with a little math, algebra, and trig ............ you know, math, algebra,
and trig .......... those things we all supposedly were taught in high
school ................................. you can get a fairly educated
guess. And if not, the other methods involve math.............. filling
with 5 gallon buckets and counting them (math) or timing the water flow and
doing the math.

But then, NONE of that addresses the first question of the poster re: the
"average" bathtub.

Steve

--

<Trent©> wrote in message news:h0o26vgedoppsbq6h...@4ax.com...

> On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 23:07:51 GMT, "Steve" <desertt...@lvcm.com>
> wrote:
>

> >According to a Google search I just did, there are 7.481 gallons per
cubic
> >foot. Simply calculate the cubic footage, multiply by that multiplier,
and
> >presto!
> >
> >Steve
>

> And how would you go about calculating that volume? lol
>

> I've seen a lot of tubs...but I've yet to see a square one or a
> rectangular one!
>

> Have a nice week...
>
> Trent
>
> Certified breast self-exam subcontractor

Steve

hayajasomwa,
2 Mac 2003, 12:18:2702/03/2003
kwa
Doing a Google search using "average bathtub volume", I came up with this in
15 seconds.

http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/waterdept/conserve.html

It says 40-60 gallons for the average. This shows the absolutely terrible
shape of our education system in America, since the average of a 40 and 60
gallon tub would be 50 gallons. Makes me as irritated as when I see
professional signs that have been misspelled.

If you have too much time on your hands, you might do the same Google
search, and write down all the results. Then add them together, and divide
by the number of tubs measured. I am sure that the bathing needs of someone
say in Californicus is different than someone in South Virginia.

This will give you the AVERAGE.

HTH.

--
Steve

MHO ONLY..... YMM(and probably does)V

"Douglas Miller" <ab...@ameritech.net> wrote in message

Tim Fischer

hayajasomwa,
2 Mac 2003, 16:18:2602/03/2003
kwa
"Philip Martin" <pt...@mail.systemcity.org> wrote in message
> That said, I've never seen a meter that didn't read down to tenths of
> a gallon using a clock-hand kind of display. Maybe some of the newer
> remote-reading meters are like this, but water companies around here,
> including those that use remote reading, seem to use the
> high-resolution display type exclusively.

For what it's worth, I'm from Minnesota, home of water-meters in the
basement, and little remote readouts outdoors (connected to the main meter
via a wire which I assume works via some sort of dynamo or the like, as it's
not hooked to any power source).

Anyway, I did my reading off the main meter, which indeed has a fixed
ten-gallons digit, but has a dial which displays single and fractions of
gallons. You can read down to at least the quarter-gallon's place, maybe
more. I'm not sure how "precise" the outdoor remote is, and it's 0 degrees
out right now so I'm not going to find out any time soon <grin>

-Tim

Tim Fischer

hayajasomwa,
2 Mac 2003, 16:19:3302/03/2003
kwa
"Douglas Miller" <ab...@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> This won't work -- one tick on a meter is IIRC one hundred cubic feet,
which
> is a *lot* more than a bathtub holds. Using a water meter to measure the
> capacity of a bathtub is like using a yardstick to measure the length of
an
> ant.

You are incorrect -- at least with my meter. Please see my reply to another
post in this thread.

-Tim

Jim K

hayajasomwa,
2 Mac 2003, 21:41:5302/03/2003
kwa
Fill the tub to the desired depth with dry sand. Scoop the sand out
and weigh it. Divide the total weight by 105 to get the number of
cubic feet of sand. Multipy the cubic feet by 7.4805 to get the
gallons used to fill the tub.

On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 17:46:06 GMT, "Sally" <pitn...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Michael Baugh

hayajasomwa,
2 Mac 2003, 20:46:3202/03/2003
kwa

Just a reminder, without mentioning names, that another post said that
a gallon was 321 cubic inches. It is not. It's 231 cubic inches.
And another reminder, before sealing around the edge of a tub, fill it
with water.

<TrentŠ> wrote in message news:mub56vg4smclh38o8...@4ax.com...

> On Sun, 02 Mar 2003 16:09:24 -0500, Paul Prior <ppr...@gurulink.com>
> wrote:
>
> >>A simpler method would be to close the drain, fill and pour a 5 gallon
> >>bucket until the water is 1" deep. Then measure the depth of the tub
and
> >>multiply to arrive at a total.
> >

> >Most tubs aren't equal in dimension as they rise. Better would be to
> >time how long it takes to fill a gallon bucket with water from the
> >spigot, and then time how long it takes to fill the tub (don't run any
> >other water in the house at the same time obviously). Then do the
> >math.
>
> But the heat of the water (even if its cold water) would cause the
> pipe to expand. So the first gallon would flow at a different rate
> than the final gallons.
>
> Hence...an inaccurate calculation! lol

*Bill*

hayajasomwa,
2 Mac 2003, 20:48:1202/03/2003
kwa
Michael Baugh wrote:

> And another reminder, before sealing around the edge of a tub, fill it
> with water.

How much?

Ermalina

hayajasomwa,
2 Mac 2003, 20:58:4202/03/2003
kwa
Phisherman wrote:

You'd "do it using calculus"? Hmmm.

I suspect that expressing a "typical" bathtub's exact shape as a
sufficiently simple, i.e., analytically integrable, [set of] vector
function(s), might be just a WEE bit of overkill and much more difficult
than either:

1. counting the number of 1, 2, 5 or whatever gallon, liter or whatever
buckets of water you have to dump into the tub until it's "full"

2. or, if 1. just isn't "mathematical" enough to satisfy analytical
cravings, treating the tub as a [set of] simple rectangular solid(s) for
which the volume (LxWxH) is easily calculable from simple measurements
and then, if desired, converting cubic inches, feet, cm or whatever to
gallons, liters or whatever.

K.I.S.S.

Steve

hayajasomwa,
2 Mac 2003, 21:15:0902/03/2003
kwa

> On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 17:46:06 GMT, "Sally" <pitn...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >For an average size bathtub does anyone know how many gallons of water it
> >takes to fill it?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Walleye

What if it is a claw foot tub, and it doesn't have an overflow? How full
should I fill it to get an accurate measurement? When in a seated position,
would that be hip deep? Nipple deep? Neck deep? What about those whose
nipples ARE at hip level?

This is getting complicated. ;-)

jh...@mindspring.com

hayajasomwa,
2 Mac 2003, 22:33:4302/03/2003
kwa
On Sun, 02 Mar 2003 21:32:09 -0500, Philip Martin
<pt...@mail.systemcity.org> wrote:

>Stay warm. You can't read the outdoor display without a special
>reader. There's nothing there except a small coiled wire pickup that
>the reader magnetically couples with.

Our's had a digital readout both inside and out!

Ron Gould

hayajasomwa,
2 Mac 2003, 22:12:5002/03/2003
kwa
Just measure the width and length and depth (inches)

Multipy these three measurements on your calculator.

Then divide the result by 231 and you automatically have gallons.

Whether fish tank, tub, whatever, it is a standard formula.

Best---
Ron

Sally <pitn...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Tim Fischer

hayajasomwa,
2 Mac 2003, 23:40:2002/03/2003

> Stay warm. You can't read the outdoor display without a special
> reader. There's nothing there except a small coiled wire pickup that
> the reader magnetically couples with.

Looks like these things greatly vary by location. Ours definitely has a
digital readout on it - -just don't know how precise it is.

-Tim

Bill Seurer

hayajasomwa,
3 Mac 2003, 00:49:2003/03/2003
kwa
Tim Fischer wrote:
> How are any of these methods easier than just reading the meter??

Why would my well have a water meter? It has a power meter.

Bill Seurer

hayajasomwa,
3 Mac 2003, 00:51:2703/03/2003
kwa
Sally wrote:
> For an average size bathtub does anyone know how many gallons of water it
> takes to fill it?

Fill it full to the top? "Fill" it halfway? Just get enough water in
it to take a bath?

Michael Baugh

hayajasomwa,
3 Mac 2003, 06:11:3803/03/2003
kwa
Can't really fill it to the top, can we? The overflow
should prevent that. But I know a purist that fills to
the overflow, then takes off his shoes, rolls up his
pants legs, and does the caulking while slogging
around in the water.
Some people carry things a bit far, IMO.

*Bill* <ti...@of.spam> wrote in message

Phisherman

hayajasomwa,
3 Mac 2003, 08:35:0103/03/2003
kwa
On Sun, 02 Mar 2003 20:31:12 -0500, TrentŠ <> wrote:

>On Sun, 02 Mar 2003 16:09:24 -0500, Paul Prior <ppr...@gurulink.com>
>wrote:
>
>>>A simpler method would be to close the drain, fill and pour a 5 gallon
>>>bucket until the water is 1" deep. Then measure the depth of the tub and
>>>multiply to arrive at a total.
>>
>>Most tubs aren't equal in dimension as they rise. Better would be to
>>time how long it takes to fill a gallon bucket with water from the
>>spigot, and then time how long it takes to fill the tub (don't run any
>>other water in the house at the same time obviously). Then do the
>>math.
>
>But the heat of the water (even if its cold water) would cause the
>pipe to expand. So the first gallon would flow at a different rate
>than the final gallons.
>
>Hence...an inaccurate calculation! lol
>

>Have a nice week...
>
>Trent

True. Hot water runs much faster than cold. Not sure if liquid
meters conpensate for that, but the gas meters do. Makes me wonder
if you get a better deal by purchasing gasoline on a cold day.

Tim Fischer

hayajasomwa,
3 Mac 2003, 10:21:2103/03/2003
> I remember when they installed remote reading in my house, the guy
> explained in very general terms how it worked. It was magnetic, and
> used a simple encoder scheme on the mechanical digital display wheels
> in the meter, but I don't know the details. It sounded fairly
> straightforward and reliable.

I'm pretty sure it's the same technology -- only instead of needing a
"reader" you just read the display.

FWIW: Every few years, the water company will come around and make sure the
inside and outside meters "match". They also do initial and final readings
this way when you move. That prevents people from disconnecting the wire
during sprinkling sessions, or other nasty tricks, from getting away with it
for very long.

-Tim

Tim Fischer

hayajasomwa,
3 Mac 2003, 10:22:0603/03/2003
kwa
"Bill Seurer" <Bi...@seurer.net> wrote in message

> Why would my well have a water meter? It has a power meter.

Obviously. I was assuming city water, which the vast majority of folks are
on.

-Tim

Steve

hayajasomwa,
3 Mac 2003, 11:53:0403/03/2003
kwa
"Tim Fischer" <no...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Tim, Tim, Tim:

People overlook one of the most important things when posting here. That is
the need to be accurate. If all the participants here are to give accurate
relevant information, we need all the facts.

Assuming is a terrible thing. Particularly in construction
.................. " Well, I assumed there wouldn't be a gas line
there................" " I assumed the power was off .............."

It always helps to get the facts, and not to assume. From there,
GENERALIZATIONS can be made, or precise DETERMINATIONS can be deduced. But
with assumptions, it all goes out the window.

What "vast percentage" % of residences would you ASSUME have public water?
Notice I did not say city water because many people who get their water from
a pipe do not live within city limits. (my case) I just did a Google
search, and could not come up with the percentage, but perhaps someone with
more time or interest can find an accurate figure. The EPA figures I found
for per capita use was a 1990 figure .............. 183 gallons per day per
person. So, likely, any figure might be a decade (Pardon me, 12 2/12ths
years, for the nitpickers) old.

How many here are on wells?

Tim Fischer

hayajasomwa,
3 Mac 2003, 11:57:3003/03/2003
> Tim, Tim, Tim:

Steve, Steve, Steve:

[snip]

> Assuming is a terrible thing. Particularly in construction
> .................. " Well, I assumed there wouldn't be a gas line
> there................" " I assumed the power was off .............."

Give me a break. If the OP didn't have a water meter, they could simply
either a) rent one or b) ignore my post.

> What "vast percentage" % of residences would you ASSUME have public water?
> Notice I did not say city water because many people who get their water
from
> a pipe do not live within city limits. (my case) I just did a Google
> search, and could not come up with the percentage, but perhaps someone
with
> more time or interest can find an accurate figure. The EPA figures I
found
> for per capita use was a 1990 figure .............. 183 gallons per day
per
> person. So, likely, any figure might be a decade (Pardon me, 12 2/12ths
> years, for the nitpickers) old.
>
> How many here are on wells?

Irrelavant. If you look at census data, the vast majority of folks live in
"urban" or "suburban" areas, all which would be served with a "pipe" as you
say. Are you really trying to question my assertion that more people get
water from a water company than a private well??

-Tim

Steve

hayajasomwa,
3 Mac 2003, 13:27:4603/03/2003
kwa

Are you really trying to question my assertion that more people get
> water from a water company than a private well??
>
> -Tim

No, not questioning your obvious assertion, which I would bet a day's pay is
true. Just trying to define "vast majority", and speak out about ASS-U-MING
things when doing home repairs.

Just trying to be more specific, as statistics can be gathered to support
any conclusion, and the use of proper terminology is important in
communication.

If in doubt, please reread my post.

D. Gerasimatos

hayajasomwa,
3 Mac 2003, 15:08:1903/03/2003
kwa
In article <hhk66v09ho8cg22te...@4ax.com>,
Philip Martin <pt...@mail.systemcity.org> wrote:

>Fascinating. There are about a million water companies around here,
>some of which have a customer base measured in hundreds, and not one
>that I've seen uses this kind of arrangement -- not that I make a
>habit of skulking around checking out water meter technology. I
>wonder how they guarantee that the outside reading matches the inside
>reading?
>
>I remember when they installed remote reading in my house, the guy
>explained in very general terms how it worked. It was magnetic, and
>used a simple encoder scheme on the mechanical digital display wheels
>in the meter, but I don't know the details. It sounded fairly
>straightforward and reliable.

Mine is very old and analog. The reading looks very much like a car's
odometer. I've also seen meters that had dials (like a gas meter). Y'all
must live in very new homes.

Dimitri

Marilyn and Bob

hayajasomwa,
3 Mac 2003, 16:21:1303/03/2003
kwa
Also lots of city dwellers live in multiple dwellings, certainly the
majority of those in the largest city in the US. Those people do not have
individual meters, so it's not only well users who could not do the meter
test.
--
BobJ

"Steve" <desertt...@lvcm.com> wrote in message

Tim Fischer

hayajasomwa,
3 Mac 2003, 18:03:0403/03/2003
kwa
"Marilyn and Bob" <pri...@nospam.please> wrote in message

> Also lots of city dwellers live in multiple dwellings, certainly the
> majority of those in the largest city in the US. Those people do not have
> individual meters, so it's not only well users who could not do the meter
> test.

Good point. But unlike Steve would like me to believe, there's nothing
"dangerous" about me posting the meter test and not clairifying that this is
for "city-dwelling homeowners only".

If you don't have a meter, feel free to ignore my original post.

My last reply to this branch of this topic...

-Tim

Douglas Miller

hayajasomwa,
3 Mac 2003, 20:20:1503/03/2003
kwa
In article <_PL8a.343973$Ec4.3...@rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.net>, "Tim Fischer" <no...@nospam.com> wrote:
>Irrelavant. If you look at census data, the vast majority of folks live in
>"urban" or "suburban" areas, all which would be served with a "pipe" as you
>say. Are you really trying to question my assertion that more people get
>water from a water company than a private well??

You're assuming again. :-)

In this case, the assumption is that living in an urban or suburban area means
that one is on city water. It ain't necessarily so.

I live in a metropolitan area of 1.5 million people (Indianapolis), well
within the city limits only about an eight-minute drive from downtown, and get
my water from a well. City water was not available in this neighborhood in
the mid-1950s when the homes were built; it's available *now*, but most of us
have not hooked up.

My in-laws live on the other side of Indianapolis; every home in their
neighborhood is on a private well.

This situation is much more common than you suppose.

Michael Baugh

hayajasomwa,
4 Mac 2003, 05:59:5804/03/2003
kwa
For those that want the absolute most separation that is going
to occur when the tub is occupied, this is a good way to do it.
I recall a person that was removing grout with a metal tool. It
was too snug in that space around the tub edge. The tiles had
been placed too close. When he filled the tub with water, he
was able to get the tool into the space. So it gave maximum
separation for the sealant that was replacing the grout. Nowadays,
Art James is probably the only one that's still using grout around
the tub edge.
I do, however, believe that the 'fill the tub' dictum is pretty much
outmoded by the currently available sealants with their ellasticity
and adhesion. But if I had to replace with grout, I'd do it.

I never use grout anymore. I use unpaintable white silicone.

<Trent©> wrote in message news:ktn66vgnhacm4301u...@4ax.com...

> On Sun, 2 Mar 2003 20:46:32 -0500, "Michael Baugh"
> <baug...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> >And another reminder, before sealing around the edge of a tub, fill it
> >with water.
>

> Why?
>
> What do you think will happen when you finally let the water out? lol

Ron Gould

hayajasomwa,
8 Mac 2003, 21:26:4008/03/2003
kwa
It's easy enough to estimate on the dimensions. If the tub is sloped inward
at both ends, just picture it as two triangles, which combined, form one
rectangle.

But, certainly not rocket science, some judgement is almost always
necessary.

The formuls is always cubic inches divided by 231 .whether a cylinder,
oval, whatever.
I used it for 30+ years sizing hydraulic fluid reservoirs. It's in some
engineering books.

If you build minnow tanks for fishing, it's handy too!

Just a very handy easy formula, I hope it helps someone.

Best---
Ron

<TrentŠ> wrote in message news:ekn66vkik1dghrj4o...@4ax.com...

> On Sun, 2 Mar 2003 21:12:50 -0600, "Ron Gould" <r...@gould.net> wrote:
>
> >Just measure the width and length and depth (inches)
> >
> >Multipy these three measurements on your calculator.
> >
> >Then divide the result by 231 and you automatically have gallons.
> >
> >Whether fish tank, tub, whatever, it is a standard formula.
> >
> >Best---
> >Ron
>

> But some of those measurements constantly change...because of the
> shape of the tub.

tampab...@gmail.com

hayajasomwa,
6 Mei 2015, 18:24:4706/05/2015
kwa
On Saturday, March 1, 2003 at 12:46:22 PM UTC-5, Sally wrote:
> For an average size bathtub does anyone know how many gallons of water it
> takes to fill it?
>
> Thanks,
> Walleye

If you don't close the drain, it will hold an immeasurable amount of water.

Dan Espen

hayajasomwa,
6 Mei 2015, 20:17:3806/05/2015
kwa
Sally waited for 12 years for your clever reply.

--
Dan Espen

bob_villa

hayajasomwa,
6 Mei 2015, 20:41:2306/05/2015
kwa
...it would actually "hold" nothing!

Uncle Monster

hayajasomwa,
6 Mei 2015, 21:04:1506/05/2015
kwa
The OP, by now, probably has a new tub or has moved to a home that only has a shower. Oh yea, after 12 years, the tub full of water evaporated long ago. 8-]

[8~{} Uncle Genius Monster

micky

hayajasomwa,
7 Mei 2015, 01:03:2007/05/2015
kwa
On Wed, 6 May 2015 18:04:07 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
<uncl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 7:17:38 PM UTC-5, net cop wrote:
>> tampab...@gmail.com writes:

>> > If you don't close the drain, it will hold an immeasurable amount of water.
>>
>> Sally waited for 12 years for your clever reply.

LOL

>> --
>> Dan Espen
>
>The OP, by now, probably has a new tub or has moved to a home that only has a shower. Oh yea, after 12 years, the tub full of water evaporated long ago. 8-]

LOL

Or he decided to measure the volume by spooning teaspoonsful into the
tub, and he still finished years ago.

>[8~{} Uncle Genius Monster

Stormin Mormon

hayajasomwa,
7 Mei 2015, 07:39:4507/05/2015
kwa
Measure the length, width and height in inches. Multiply
the three numbers to get cubic inches. Divide that total
by 231 to get the gallons.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Phil Kangas

hayajasomwa,
7 Mei 2015, 10:07:3407/05/2015
kwa

"micky" <NONONO...@bigfoot.com> wrote in
message
Many moons ago Hilda had a standing order with
the milkman for two gallons every Monday. One
day she had left a note for him requesting 15
gallons! He was stunned. He knocked on the
door and asked her if the order was real? Yes,
I heard that bathing in milk makes your wrinkles
go away and makes your skin nice and soft.
Ok, do you want pasteurized? No, just up to my
tits! ;>)}

Col. Edmund Burke

hayajasomwa,
7 Mei 2015, 17:09:3407/05/2015
kwa
<tamp...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Well, how true it is. One must remember to close the drain. LOL

On the udder hand, did I mention that my balls float?

NEMO

hayajasomwa,
7 Mei 2015, 17:35:1007/05/2015
kwa
They actually let you keep them when you were neutered, Coloon? LOLK

Ujumbe umefutwa
Ujumbe umefutwa

J Burns

hayajasomwa,
9 Mei 2015, 15:53:1409/05/2015
kwa
Use a stopwatch to see how long it takes to fill a container. That will
give you the flow. Then use the stopwatch to see how long it takes to
fill the tub.

Stormin Mormon

hayajasomwa,
9 Mei 2015, 20:10:3509/05/2015
kwa
On 5/9/2015 3:53 PM, J Burns wrote:
> On 5/6/15 6:24 PM, tampab...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Saturday, March 1, 2003 at 12:46:22 PM UTC-5, Sally wrote:
>>> For an average size bathtub does anyone know how many gallons of
>>> water it
>>> takes to fill it?
>>>
> Use a stopwatch to see how long it takes to fill a container. That will
> give you the flow. Then use the stopwatch to see how long it takes to
> fill the tub.

The one time I calculated, about 50 gal.
Residental. More like 30 for trailer tub.

J Burns

hayajasomwa,
10 Mei 2015, 15:07:1010/05/2015
kwa
On 5/9/15 8:10 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
> On 5/9/2015 3:53 PM, J Burns wrote:
>>>>
>> Use a stopwatch to see how long it takes to fill a container. That will
>> give you the flow. Then use the stopwatch to see how long it takes to
>> fill the tub.
>
> The one time I calculated, about 50 gal.
> Residental. More like 30 for trailer tub.
>
> -

In the 80s, when my father wanted to know why his electric bill was so
high, I connected the 240VAC coil of a relay across the lower element of
his water heater. The contacts turned on a battery-powered alarm clock,
so I could calculate kWh. I found that he was heating a lot of water.

He took a long bath each day. I believe I calculated about 20 gallons.
This page agrees.

http://www.sophisticatededge.com/how-much-water-can-a-bathtub-hold.html

It says a tub will overflow the rim at 24 gallons. I think they mean
the overflow drain. As he would displace water when he got in, he
wouldn't fill it to the overflow.

It seemed to me that he could not have used so much water unless he
would repeatedly let some out and add hot to keep it warm. In that
case, raising the heater thermostat would probably have saved electricity.

Tekkie®

hayajasomwa,
10 Mei 2015, 15:55:1210/05/2015
kwa
gfre...@aol.com posted for all of us...

> On Thu, 07 May 2015 07:39:49 -0400, Stormin Mormon
> <cayo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >Measure the length, width and height in inches. Multiply
> >the three numbers to get cubic inches. Divide that total
> >by 231 to get the gallons.
> >

> Then the question is how big is Sally's ass.

Chocolate milk?

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

shar...@gmail.com

hayajasomwa,
16 Jun 2015, 00:04:3216/06/2015
kwa
Lots of good ideas, and LOTS of FUN posts! :-D

Stormin Mormon

hayajasomwa,
16 Jun 2015, 10:33:1316/06/2015
kwa
On 6/16/2015 12:04 AM, shar...@gmail.com wrote:
> Lots of good ideas, and LOTS of FUN posts! :-D

I checked mine. Dimensions approx inches
48x23x9
Multiplies out to 9936 cubic inches
divide by 231 reveals 43 gal.

tony944

hayajasomwa,
16 Jun 2015, 11:18:2316/06/2015
kwa
9 gallon per cubic foot

wrote in message

bob_villa

hayajasomwa,
16 Jun 2015, 11:23:4216/06/2015
kwa
On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 10:18:23 AM UTC-5, tony944 wrote:
> 9 gallon per cubic foot

7.48052 per cubic foot

tony944

hayajasomwa,
16 Jun 2015, 11:35:5316/06/2015
kwa

"bob_villa" wrote in message

On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 10:18:23 AM UTC-5, tony944 wrote:
> 9 gallon per cubic foot

7.48052 per cubic foot = Observation well taking

Malcom Mal Reynolds

hayajasomwa,
16 Jun 2015, 18:18:5516/06/2015
kwa
In article <5ebfd095-62da-4a32...@googlegroups.com>,
shar...@gmail.com wrote:

> Lots of good ideas, and LOTS of FUN posts! :-D

the same amount of water it takes to grow one Avocado...really

Stormin Mormon

hayajasomwa,
16 Jun 2015, 20:57:3616/06/2015
kwa
On 6/16/2015 11:19 AM, tony944 wrote:
> 9 gallon per cubic foot

When I took some fire protection courses,
it was 7.48 gpf, but that was years ago.
Ujumbe umefutwa

tony944

hayajasomwa,
17 Jun 2015, 13:41:1817/06/2015
kwa
Chris that is correct when I posted 9 g. per Q. foot I was not thinking to
well or checking chart, "sorry
anyway you young stud still working come to west coast and enjoy life.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message news:%B3gx.1087$lU1...@fx29.iad...

hah

hayajasomwa,
18 Jun 2015, 11:12:0718/06/2015
kwa
On 06/17/2015 12:41 PM, tony944 wrote:

> When I took some fire protection courses,
> it was 7.48 gpf, but that was years ago.

and cubic feet are much bigger now :-)

--
"The inspiration of the Bible depends on the ignorance of the gentleman
who reads it." -- Robert Green Ingersoll (1833-1899)

Gus Tanto Abdurrahman

hayajasomwa,
18 Jun 2015, 11:52:3318/06/2015
kwa
On Sunday, March 2, 2003 at 12:46:22 AM UTC+7, Sally wrote:
> For an average size bathtub does anyone know how many gallons of water it
> takes to fill it?
>
> Thanks,
> Walleye

any reference may be there...

Steven L.

hayajasomwa,
20 Jun 2015, 10:55:4520/06/2015
kwa
On 6/16/2015 12:04 AM, shar...@gmail.com wrote:
> Lots of good ideas, and LOTS of FUN posts! :-D

It depends on whether I'm sitting in the tub at the time, and whether I
have female companionship in there. That can help conserve water.

--
Steven L.

anitac...@gmail.com

hayajasomwa,
20 Jul 2015, 07:39:5220/07/2015
kwa
LMBO

lisanwe...@gmail.com

hayajasomwa,
31 Jul 2018, 14:59:4131/07/2018
kwa
And when you have storage hot water how do you calculate them with the metre reading?

Frank

hayajasomwa,
31 Jul 2018, 15:40:5331/07/2018
kwa
On 7/31/2018 2:59 PM, lisanwe...@gmail.com wrote:
> And when you have storage hot water how do you calculate them with the metre reading?

Look at the meter, fill the tub, look at the meter again. Subtract
first from second reading.

BQ340

hayajasomwa,
31 Jul 2018, 19:43:0131/07/2018
kwa
Then convert the meter reading of cubic feet to gallons......

Frank

hayajasomwa,
31 Jul 2018, 20:08:0931/07/2018
kwa
That is interesting. With a well I don't have a water meter and did not
consider it reading in cubic feet. Of course, I was also being
facetious with my answer. I see that there are 7.48 gallons in a cubic
foot.

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

hayajasomwa,
31 Jul 2018, 20:36:5631/07/2018
kwa

>>> And when you have storage hot water how do you calculate
>>> them with the metre reading?
>>>

>> Look at the meter, fill the tub, look at the meter again.  Subtract
>> first from second reading.

>Then convert the meter reading of cubic feet to gallons......

Err .. ahem ..
would that be the far superior Imperial gallons ?
or the puny little American gallons ?
.. feet and meters metres remain the same ..
John T.

josie.s...@gmail.com

hayajasomwa,
18 Apr 2020, 18:01:5818/04/2020
kwa
Good idea, but when a house is on a well, it is impossible to calculate using your projection. And yes there are houses still on wells - and prefer it to city or county water systems.

Wade Garrett

hayajasomwa,
19 Apr 2020, 10:19:1319/04/2020
kwa
On 4/18/20 6:01 PM, josie.s...@gmail.com wrote:
> Good idea, but when a house is on a well, it is impossible to calculate using your projection. And yes there are houses still on wells - and prefer it to city or county water systems.

Here ya go:
https://bit.ly/2VJTf8k

--
The Lord must love stupid people since he made so many of them ;-)

kelown

hayajasomwa,
19 Apr 2020, 11:27:0719/04/2020
kwa

>> Good idea, but when a house is on a well, it is impossible to
>> calculate using your projection. And yes there are houses still on
>> wells - and prefer it to city or county water systems.
>>
> Here ya go:
> https://bit.ly/2VJTf8k

tbf, your Google search was for average bathtub capacity, not average
bath tub filling.

Still, I'm pretty shocked that the average capacity is 80 gallons.
Didn't think it would be that high.

Ujumbe 0 mpya