Squatting

Dean

Feb 13, 2024, 10:34:20 AMFeb 13
isn't limited to the old run down two bedroom houses in the middle of nowhere if this article is correct. it's hard to imagine prices this high in the first place.
<https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-finance/squatters-are-taking-over-homes-all-over-nation-industrial-scale-and-turning-them>

Scott Lurndal

Feb 13, 2024, 12:09:13 PMFeb 13
Dean <hoffma...@gmail.com> writes:
> isn't limited

You need to find better news sources.

micky

Feb 13, 2024, 2:23:42 PMFeb 13
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 13 Feb 2024 17:09:05 GMT,
Yes, the article seems dubious, and alarmist, seems to be describing
trespassers, rather than those who have the legal rights that squatters
have in many places.

Which is not to say that one shouldn't keep track of his rental
properties, and make sure if you think they are vacant that they are
really vacant. At the same time, you shouldn't rent to shleppers who
can't really pay the rent, because they are just the sort who will hold
over and refuse to leave when they run out of money. Real estate is a
great investiment when it works, but a big burden when it doesn't.
Stocks and bonds are a lot simpler. I may have mentioned my SIL, who
bought businesses in 2 cities she doesn't even live in or go to. Not
places to live but still a big mistake to try to own a business you
can't supervise. Oh, she also didn't renew her COA in an apartment
above a restaurant she owned, and it was too late to renew it and she
lost the right to live there. (I guess because it was a restaurant
first, they required a COA to live there.) She also , earlier, bought
the place on time, spent 100,000 in remodeling, and then I guess missed
a payment, so the seller was going to take it back including all the
remodeling. I don't know how much she paid to get out of that one. All
these examples point to the same point: If you're going to be in
business (includilng finance and real estate), you have to pay close
attention to the business you're in. But I digress.

The example in the article above where the surgeon was on the lam is a
good example of someone not in a position to pay attention to his vacant
property and probably didn't take the time to hire a management company
before he fled. Try not to be a fugitive. (though my brother, who
has had only one rental property, the apartment he lived in before he
got married, and he hired someone to rent it, collect the rent etc. and
the guy was embezzling from my brother. He ended up in jail for this.)

https://www.american-apartment-owners-association.org/property-management/latest-news/squatters-rights-law/

My friend, F, who was over 45 at the time, had let a high-school
class-mate, not even a close friend, stay in the farmhouse he had
bought, while F was remodeling it for him and his wife. He stayed there
for free, and I wouldn't be surprised if my friend paid for the water,
heat, and electricity all that time, and when the house was ready for F
and his wife to move in, the supposed friend wouldn't move out. But he
was there legally in the first place.

F had to hire a lawyer, go to court. Somehow the other guy got a
lawyer, free I think but not a public defender (who don't work on civil
cases anyway) and they finally got him out, and he moved to some sort
of room at a playground equipment store nearby. (They sell especially
small stuff that one could put in his back yard, plus stoves and sheds.
Maybe he lived in one of their sheds.) They must have agreed to take
him before they found out where he'd been before. He stayed there for a
couple months at least but somehow set the place on fire. Didn't do that
much damage but I think they made him move out after that. Don't know
where he went.

micky

Feb 13, 2024, 2:42:27 PMFeb 13
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 13 Feb 2024 14:23:35 -0500, micky
I was going to look up if anything made California substantially
different from other states, where a squatter needs 10 or 20 *years*
living in some place to get rights under adverse possession, but I think
I've lost interest.

However this should be helpful:

Prevent Squatters

Fortunately, there are certain measures you can implement to ensure that
squatters don't occupy your Maryland property.

Taking active measures as a property owner is the best way to ensure
that you protect your premises from unwelcome squatters. Here's how:

Inspect and visit the property regularly.
Make sure you prioritize implementing effective security measures.
Put up "No Trespassing" or "Private Property" signs around the
property. [If it's vacant]
Hire a reliable and experienced property management company to
monitor the building when you're unable to.
Ensure there are appropriate entry barriers in place, such as locked
doors and windows. [In my h'hood for a while, teenagers managed to get
into a vacant townhouse and they used it as a clubhouse. They also did
some damage to the house. I think the bank which held the mortgage got
them out. It didnt' take very long once the bank learned of the
problem.]

Remove Squatters

As with other issues, it's preferable to put a stop to a problem before
it spirals out of control. This also relates to evicting squatters from
your property before they get Maryland squatter's rights.

You are responsible for your financial situation since there is no
security deposit to be possibly recovered, unlike in a normal eviction.
Therefore, the Maryland security deposit laws will not apply in this
scenario.

Furthermore, Maryland property owners need to follow a specific process
when evicting a squatter. You cannot use the same type of eviction order
that you would for a tenant. [I think my friend would have been much
better off if he had written a lease and charged rent, even $10/month.
Even $1/month, but he didn't expect the guy to be a jerk and bascially a
thief.]

The procedure is as follows:

If the squatter refuses to leave your property, plan to file a
wrongful detainer complaint. You can go to the county's District Court,
which will then issue a summons to the squatter.
The order will be sent to the County sheriff if the court is in
favor of the landowner's case. Therefore, the sheriff will be
responsible for removing the squatter provided that he/she does not file
for an appeal.

Keep in mind that all self-eviction actions are illegal in Maryland.
This involves shutting off the utilities or changing the locks. Failure
to comply with this opens up the possibility for a squatter to file a
lawsuit against the property owner.

[I wonder what the law is in Maryland or elsewhere if you scowl, grit
your teeth, and tell someone to get out, and he does. Is that illegal?]

https://www.doorloop.com/laws/maryland-squatters-rights

Feb 18, 2024, 9:20:02 PMFeb 18
On 2/13/24 07:34, Dean wrote:
> isn't limited to the old run down two bedroom houses in the middle of nowhere if this article is correct. it's hard to imagine prices this high in the first place.
> <https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-finance/squatters-are-taking-over-homes-all-over-nation-industrial-scale-and-turning-them>

I absolutely DO NOT condone it, but I do sympathize with
anyone who shoots a squatter.

Ammo Up

Feb 19, 2024, 6:10:46 AMFeb 19
Agreed!
The Democrat's open borders and "catch and release" program is not working.
Out of necessity, vigilante justice will replace law and order.
It appears the Schiff is about to hit the fan.

https://www.breitbart.com/crime/2024/02/18/nypd-officer-injuries-skyrocket-migrants-pour-city/

Feb 19, 2024, 6:15:12 PMFeb 19

Bob F

Feb 19, 2024, 7:51:28 PMFeb 19
And the GOP just rejected a bi-partisan bill to solve the problem. If it
had passed, they knew no GOP would be reelected.