How bad can cheep antifreeze be?

micky

Jan 20, 2022, 12:17:46 PM1/20/22
I need some RV antifreeze for my house because I'm going away in early
February. Probably wont' freeze but who knows. (It was 13^ all night a
few days ago)

The auto stores want $6 or 7 and Walmart wants $3

I'm going to be at Home Depot anyhow so I looked if they sell it. Yes.
This is $6.27
https://www.homedepot.com/p/PRIME-GUARD-128-fl-oz-PG-Formula-and-Glycerin-Free-50-F-RV-Antifreeze-95006/314176974

But this is 88 cents!
https://www.homedepot.com/p/PRIME-GUARD-128-fl-oz-Ethyl-Alcohol-50-F-RV-Antifreeze-95806/314176973
Marked down from 2.99.

How bad could it be? What's the difference in practice between ethyl
alcohol and propylene glycol? ???

I went back to Walmart, to see if maybe that's why it was so cheap, but
their $3 rv antifreeze is ethylene glycol at least acc. to the webpage.

Bob F

Jan 20, 2022, 12:41:48 PM1/20/22
If it is just for drain traps, any kind should be fine. You will be just
be draining the pipes and water heater? Plus air flushing appliances I
guess.

Maybe more:

https://litetrax.com/cabin-pre-winter-plumbing-prep/

Or, just make sure your heat will stay on at a reduced temp.

gfre...@aol.com

Jan 20, 2022, 12:47:48 PM1/20/22
On Thu, 20 Jan 2022 12:17:40 -0500, micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com>
wrote:
RV antifreeze should be PROPYLENE glycol not ethylene (poison).
The alcohol might attack some plastic parts and it doesn't offer as
much freeze protection but in Md it probably works. That stuff at HD
has propylene glycol in it too tho.
That seems to be a closeout and they are out of stock around here.

Frank

Jan 20, 2022, 12:54:47 PM1/20/22
Interesting to know that both ethanol and ethylene glycol can be harmful
to PVC drain pipes so propylene glycol would be best to use.

micky

Jan 20, 2022, 1:35:47 PM1/20/22
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 20 Jan 2022 12:47:43 -0500,
gfre...@aol.com wrote:

>On Thu, 20 Jan 2022 12:17:40 -0500, micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I need some RV antifreeze for my house because I'm going away in early
>>February. Probably wont' freeze but who knows. (It was 13^ all night a
>>few days ago)
>>
>>The auto stores want $6 or 7 and Walmart wants $3
>>
>>I'm going to be at Home Depot anyhow so I looked if they sell it. Yes.
>>This is $6.27
>>https://www.homedepot.com/p/PRIME-GUARD-128-fl-oz-PG-Formula-and-Glycerin-Free-50-F-RV-Antifreeze-95006/314176974
>>
>>But this is 88 cents!
>>https://www.homedepot.com/p/PRIME-GUARD-128-fl-oz-Ethyl-Alcohol-50-F-RV-Antifreeze-95806/314176973
>>Marked down from 2.99.
>>
>>How bad could it be? What's the difference in practice between ethyl
>>alcohol and propylene glycol? ???
>>
>>I went back to Walmart, to see if maybe that's why it was so cheap, but
>>their $3 rv antifreeze is ethylene glycol at least acc. to the webpage.
>
>RV antifreeze should be PROPYLENE glycol not ethylene (poison).
>The alcohol might attack some plastic parts and it doesn't offer as

I do have plastic drains, but it says it only harms acetate. Do acetate
pipes even exist? There is Ethyl Vinyl Acetate Plastic Tubing, "Used
For Agricultural, Lawn And Chemical Transfer. EVA Plastic Tubing is non
reinfroced [sic] to handle common herbicides and insecticide solutions.
Used for the application of anhydrous ammonia, aqua ammonia, herbicides,
phosphates and all liquid fertilizers."

>much freeze protection but in Md it probably works. That stuff at HD
>has propylene glycol in it too tho.
>That seems to be a closeout and they are out of stock around here.

If I'd included the entire URL**, it would have shown that the store
near me says it has 60 gallons!!!! in stock. OTOH, it doesn't give the
location, what aisle it's in, so we'll see if I can actually find any.

**I truncated the url because I think Marilyn prefers it that way. :-)

micky

Jan 20, 2022, 1:38:06 PM1/20/22
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 20 Jan 2022 09:41:39 -0800, Bob F
<bobn...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 1/20/2022 9:17 AM, micky wrote:
>> I need some RV antifreeze for my house because I'm going away in early
>> February. Probably wont' freeze but who knows. (It was 13^ all night a
>> few days ago)
>>
>> The auto stores want $6 or 7 and Walmart wants $3
>>
>> I'm going to be at Home Depot anyhow so I looked if they sell it. Yes.
>> This is $6.27
>> https://www.homedepot.com/p/PRIME-GUARD-128-fl-oz-PG-Formula-and-Glycerin-Free-50-F-RV-Antifreeze-95006/314176974
>>
>> But this is 88 cents!
>> https://www.homedepot.com/p/PRIME-GUARD-128-fl-oz-Ethyl-Alcohol-50-F-RV-Antifreeze-95806/314176973
>> Marked down from 2.99.
>>
>> How bad could it be? What's the difference in practice between ethyl
>> alcohol and propylene glycol? ???
>>
>> I went back to Walmart, to see if maybe that's why it was so cheap, but
>> their $3 rv antifreeze is ethylene glycol at least acc. to the webpage.
>
>If it is just for drain traps,

Right. Just drain pipes. So when is it not good enough, and you have to
use propylene glycol?

Does the alcohol stuff evaporate like it did when it was used in car
radiators? There it got hot, but here it will be below 70^.

>any kind should be fine. You will be just
>be draining the pipes and water heater? Plus air flushing appliances I
>guess.

I drain the pipes but I've never drained the water heater. But it's
in the basement and I don't think the below ground basement would ever
freeze, no matter what, esp. after Feb 9. Anymore than the water pipes
leading to the houses freeze.

It would be a pain, and I hate to waste all that water. I turn off the
water heater too, but it is Maryland, the South.

>Maybe more:
>
>https://litetrax.com/cabin-pre-winter-plumbing-prep/

Thanks.

>Or, just make sure your heat will stay on at a reduced temp.

My thermostat won't go below 54 iirc so I turn the heat off entirely.

Clare Snyder

Jan 20, 2022, 3:59:03 PM1/20/22
On Thu, 20 Jan 2022 12:17:40 -0500, micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com>
wrote:

Ethelene glycol is not RV or plumbing antifreeze - and it ir lethal.
Propelene glycol is generally used for plumbing and RV antifreeze and
is non-toxic

micky

Jan 20, 2022, 8:18:58 PM1/20/22
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 20 Jan 2022 13:35:39 -0500, micky
<NONONO...@fmguy.com> wrote:

>>much freeze protection but in Md it probably works. That stuff at HD
>>has propylene glycol in it too tho.
>>That seems to be a closeout and they are out of stock around here.
>
>If I'd included the entire URL, it would have shown that the store
>near me says it has 60 gallons!!!! in stock. OTOH, it doesn't give the
>location, what aisle it's in, so we'll see if I can actually find any.

OK, I went to Home Depot and found the antifreeze/autuo section, next to
the hand tools. but the closeout stuff wasn't there. I asked and she
thought it moved arond (and that's why the web didn't list an aisle/bay)
but suggested by the outdoor stuff. Not there, the woman, looking on
her phone at the saem webpage I looked at o said it was online only, but
then noticed it said In Store. Asked at the desk and she thought back
by the tools but look up high. Still wasn't there.

Didn't see the $6.00 version either.

I've still got two weeks to get it. I may try buying it online, and see
if they find it then. They're never going to sell their 60 gallons if
they don't know where it is.

While I was there, I looked for a faucet handle for my washing machine.
No handles at all, only complete valves. Most attached the handle with
a nut, not a screww!!! Found a screwdriver in the tool department. and
took handles off the 3 most likely. Two were 12 point and one was
square. I bought the cheapest 12-point one, for $5 including the
plastic valve and if it has to be forced on, that's better than being
too big. Admittedly, I only use the valves every 20 years or so, but
I've used it several times this year, and I'm a bit compulsive about
stuff like this. ---- A friend told me about a small town plumbing
supply company that she thinks has been around for a long time and may
have the right part. About 30 miles frome here but a small price to pay
for uniformity.

micky

Jan 21, 2022, 3:38:50 AM1/21/22
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 20 Jan 2022 20:18:51 -0500, micky
<NONONO...@fmguy.com> wrote:

>While I was there, I looked for a faucet handle for my washing machine.
>No handles at all, only complete valves. Most attached the handle with
>a nut, not a screww!!! Found a screwdriver in the tool department. and
>took handles off the 3 most likely. Two were 12 point and one was
>square. I bought the cheapest 12-point one, for $5 including the
>plastic valve and if it has to be forced on, that's better than being
>too big.

But it is too big, doesn't have to be forced on because it's bigger than
the stem.

However, then I remmebered this place right in Baltimore that my friend
showed me, and used google maps to find it and find its name:

William J Theiss & Son 8-4 m-sa. 4247 Harford Rd, 410-426-8421
http://hardtofindplumbing.com/
We Specialize in Hard to find plumbing parts
Over 100 Years in Business | Locally Owned | Antique Plumbing Parts

He had stems for my bathrooms when they were only 25 years old but still
hard to find, and he had a source to order more from.

I may not have time to go there for several weeks, but he may have it.

Marilyn Manson

Jan 21, 2022, 4:38:35 PM1/21/22
On Friday, January 21, 2022 at 3:38:50 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 20 Jan 2022 20:18:51 -0500, micky
> <NONONO...@fmguy.com> wrote:
>

> >While I was there, I looked for a faucet handle for my washing machine.
> >No handles at all, only complete valves. Most attached the handle with
> >a nut, not a screww!!! Found a screwdriver in the tool department. and
> >took handles off the 3 most likely. Two were 12 point and one was
> >square. I bought the cheapest 12-point one, for $5 including the
> >plastic valve and if it has to be forced on, that's better than being
> >too big.
> But it is too big, doesn't have to be forced on because it's bigger than
> the stem.
>
> However, then I remmebered this place right in Baltimore that my friend
> showed me, and used google maps to find it and find its name:
>
> William J Theiss & Son 8-4 m-sa. 4247 Harford Rd, 410-426-8421
> http://hardtofindplumbing.com/
> We Specialize in Hard to find plumbing parts
> Over 100 Years in Business | Locally Owned | Antique Plumbing Parts
>
> He had stems for my bathrooms when they were only 25 years old but still
> hard to find, and he had a source to order more from.
>
> I may not have time to go there for several weeks, but he may have it.

Save yourself some time and gas. Call them, ask for a email address and send
them a picture or two.

I often drop in an image or two into PowerPoint, add some measurements/notes
and save it as a pdf or jpg. When I send that, they have the information they need
and we both have something to refer to if they need more details.

When I redid my bathroom I wanted new hinges and matching hooks, so I sent
this picture to a few local stores. One of them came through with exactly what
I wanted.

https://i.imgur.com/JO5uddn.jpg

micky

Jan 21, 2022, 9:18:58 PM1/21/22
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 21 Jan 2022 13:38:32 -0800 (PST), Marilyn
Manson <comawhit...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> However, then I remmebered this place right in Baltimore that my friend
>> showed me, and used google maps to find it and find its name:
>>
>> William J Theiss & Son 8-4 m-sa. 4247 Harford Rd, 410-426-8421
>> http://hardtofindplumbing.com/
>> We Specialize in Hard to find plumbing parts
>> Over 100 Years in Business | Locally Owned | Antique Plumbing Parts
>>
>> He had stems for my bathrooms when they were only 25 years old but still
>> hard to find, and he had a source to order more from.

That is, he had some in stock and could order even more.

>> I may not have time to go there for several weeks, but he may have it.
>
>Save yourself some time and gas. Call them, ask for a email address and send
>them a picture or two.
>
>I often drop in an image or two into PowerPoint, add some measurements/notes
>and save it as a pdf or jpg. When I send that, they have the information they need
>and we both have something to refer to if they need more details.
>
>When I redid my bathroom I wanted new hinges and matching hooks, so I sent
>this picture to a few local stores. One of them came through with exactly what
>I wanted.
>
>https://i.imgur.com/JO5uddn.jpg

Good idea. first time I was there 15 years ago. iirc it was one old
man, dimly lit, but now, they seem to have bought the store next door,
be more than twice as big, and had pictures of at least 4 different
employees.

The one old guy I'd have doubts if he could read pictures off of email,
but I think these guys can. And even the old guy has had 15 more years
to learn.

Bob F

Jan 21, 2022, 10:15:38 PM1/21/22
Hardwick and Sons used to be a local hardware store that had all kinds
of new and used unusual tools and other hardware. They are now in ID as
a mail order business.