Re: Why do circuit breakers go up for on and down for off?

Commander Kinsey

Mar 7, 2023, 12:14:32 AM3/7/23
On Tue, 28 Feb 2023 02:18:38 -0000, rbowman <bow...@montana.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 20:21:41 -0000, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 13 Feb 2023 13:36:18 -0000, NY <m...@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> "Max Demian" <max_d...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

>>> Apparently Japanese traffic lights are blue although the word for
>>> "green" is used. There's some convoluted reason for using blue and for
>>> calling it green.
>>> https://theculturetrip.com/asia/japan/articles/japans-blue-traffic-
> lights-reveal-an-interesting-linguistic-quirk/
>>> -
>>> Japanese didn't have a word for green for a long time: vegetables and
>>> grass are called "blue" as well.
>>
>> So they couldn't explain the difference in colour of a lettuce and the
>> sky? WTF?
>
> I smell bullshit. The ancient Greeks supposedly couldn't see blue because
> there was no word recognized as 'blue' in extant texts. The white statues
> furthered the idea until someone noticed the very colorful paint jobs had
> worn off a couple of thousand years ago.

Nobody realised paint wears off? [facepalm]

Max Demian

Mar 7, 2023, 7:40:30 AM3/7/23
I think the old statues mainly encouraged the Renaissance sculptors to
make pure white statues with their oddly looking sightless eyes.

> Nobody realised paint wears off? [facepalm]

They didn't realise that the statues would have been painted as it
wasn't the current practice.

--
Max Demian

Peeler

Mar 7, 2023, 9:00:37 AM3/7/23
On Tue, 7 Mar 2023 12:40:24 +0000, Max Dumbian, the REAL dumb, notorious,
trolling and troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered again:

> I think the old statues mainly encouraged the Renaissance sculptors to
> make pure white statues with their oddly looking sightless eyes.

Keep your off topic sick senile shit out of these ngs, you idiotic
troll-feeding senile shithead!

--
Max Dumb having another senile moment:
"It's the consistency of the shit that counts. Sometimes I don't need to

rbowman

Mar 7, 2023, 10:23:26 PM3/7/23
On Tue, 07 Mar 2023 05:14:26 -0000, Commander Kinsey wrote:

> I smell bullshit. The ancient Greeks supposedly couldn't see blue
>> because there was no word recognized as 'blue' in extant texts. The
>> white statues furthered the idea until someone noticed the very
>> colorful paint jobs had worn off a couple of thousand years ago.
>
> Nobody realised paint wears off? [facepalm]

Academics aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. Who would deface beautiful white marble statuary with paint?

Given the modern Greek color palette the Parthenon in its heyday may have looked like Athena's Whorehouse.

https://www.britishmuseum.org/blog/paint-and-parthenon-conservation-ancient-greek-sculpture

Peeler

Mar 8, 2023, 3:02:45 AM3/8/23
On 8 Mar 2023 03:23:20 GMT, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> Academics aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Ah, the resident bigmouth starts prattling and bragging again...

<FLUSH rest of the inevitable grandiloquent senile crap>

--
Gossiping "lowbrowwoman" about herself:
"Usenet is my blog... I don't give a damn if anyone ever reads my posts

Commander Kinsey

Mar 18, 2023, 8:09:50 PM3/18/23
On Wed, 08 Mar 2023 03:23:20 -0000, rbowman <bow...@montana.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 07 Mar 2023 05:14:26 -0000, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>
>> I smell bullshit. The ancient Greeks supposedly couldn't see blue
>>> because there was no word recognized as 'blue' in extant texts. The
>>> white statues furthered the idea until someone noticed the very
>>> colorful paint jobs had worn off a couple of thousand years ago.
>>
>> Nobody realised paint wears off? [facepalm]
>
> Academics aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. Who would deface beautiful white marble statuary with paint?
>
> Given the modern Greek color palette

??? https://www.color-hex.com/color-palette/28226

rbowman

Mar 18, 2023, 9:54:49 PM3/18/23
On Sun, 19 Mar 2023 00:09:41 -0000, Commander Kinsey wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Mar 2023 03:23:20 -0000, rbowman <bow...@montana.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 07 Mar 2023 05:14:26 -0000, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>>
>>> I smell bullshit. The ancient Greeks supposedly couldn't see blue
>>>
>>> Nobody realised paint wears off? [facepalm]
>>
>> Academics aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. Who would deface
>> beautiful white marble statuary with paint?
>>
>> Given the modern Greek color palette
>
> ??? https://www.color-hex.com/color-palette/28226

Interesting. I wonder who decided that was the modern Greek palette. I was thinking of the color schemes that show up in photos of Greece.

https://www.dunnedwards.com/pros/blog/were-loving-these-3-color-schemes-inspired-by-greece/

The Goldenrod/Go-Go Green motif looks like the aftermath of a discontinued colors paint sale at Hoem Depot.

https://greeking.me/blog/greek-culture/white-blue-greek-colors

Aha, right again!

"Well, that has to do with cost. After painting their boat, the fishers and other sailors painted their windows and shutters with whatever was leftover. And because of the elements used to create it, blue was usually the cheapest paint color. "

Peeler

Mar 19, 2023, 4:43:11 AM3/19/23
On 19 Mar 2023 01:54:42 GMT, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> Interesting.

The way the troll keeps playing all you endlessly blathering troll-feeding
senile assholes in these ngs? INDEED!

--
More typical idiotic senile gossip by lowbrowwoman:
"It's been years since I've been in a fast food burger joint but I used

Vir Campestris

Mar 21, 2023, 7:06:06 AM3/21/23
On 19/03/2023 01:54, rbowman wrote:

> Interesting. I wonder who decided that was the modern Greek palette. I was thinking of the color schemes that show up in photos of Greece.
>
> https://www.dunnedwards.com/pros/blog/were-loving-these-3-color-schemes-inspired-by-greece/
>
> The Goldenrod/Go-Go Green motif looks like the aftermath of a discontinued colors paint sale at Hoem Depot.
>
> https://greeking.me/blog/greek-culture/white-blue-greek-colors
>
> Aha, right again!
>
> "Well, that has to do with cost. After painting their boat, the fishers and other sailors painted their windows and shutters with whatever was leftover. And because of the elements used to create it, blue was usually the cheapest paint color."

Not really sure I trust that last item - it sounded interesting so I
read it.

"This may sound strange today, but back then, the pain of the houses
contained limestone. Limestone is a powerful disinfectant, and not many
others were widely used at that time. Thus, Greek citizens whitewashed
their homes to disinfect them and reduce the spread of cholera."

Apart from pain instead of paint...

Limestone is not a powerful disinfectant.

If you bake limestone (calcium carbonate) you get calcium oxide, AKA
quicklime. Mix that with water and you get a calcium hydroxide slurry,
AkA limewash, and that's the disinfectant.

"The blue used in the islands' houses in the blue Aegean sea was made
from a mixture of limestone and a cleaning product called 'indigo.' The
indigo was a type of blue talc that most of the islanders easily had at
home. Therefore, blue was a very easy color to make."

Indigo was never a cleaning product AFAIK. I'd assumed the blue was
lapis lazuli, which comes from Afghanistan and cost an arm and a leg in
ancient times. But I assume this guy knows something and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo_dye

tells me that most true indigo also comes from the East. Not likely to
be cheap when it's gone overland by camel train for a few thousand
miles. It also tells me you can get blue from murex shells - where one
of the shades is called royal blue. That doesn't sound cheap either.

Almost identical text appears in other older articles, except they say
the blue was a cleaner called loulaki. Which is also a Greek name. Too
hard for me to look further.

Andy

Commander Kinsey

Mar 31, 2023, 11:02:26 AM3/31/23
On Sun, 19 Mar 2023 01:54:42 -0000, rbowman <bow...@montana.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Mar 2023 00:09:41 -0000, Commander Kinsey wrote:

>>> Academics aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. Who would deface
>>> beautiful white marble statuary with paint?
>>>
>>> Given the modern Greek color palette
>>
>> ??? https://www.color-hex.com/color-palette/28226
>
> Interesting. I wonder who decided that was the modern Greek palette. I was thinking of the color schemes that show up in photos of Greece.
>
> https://www.dunnedwards.com/pros/blog/were-loving-these-3-color-schemes-inspired-by-greece/

I quite like those colours.

I guess if you want free electricity, you just lean out of the window and tap into one of those randomly placed wires.