Can't get carpet attachment off vacuum hose

ca...@home.com

Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
The carpet cleaning head attachment is stuck onto the end of the metal
vacuum hose extensions. All the yanking in the world won't get it off.
Frustrating. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dave A. Homeowner

Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
Suggestions listed in no particular order:

- Try spraying WD-40 on the hose so that it seeps down into the
junction.

- Try heating the junction with a blow dryer. Be careful if there's
plastic involved.

- Put the head in a vice with padded jaws and use a padded pipe wrench
on hose

- Hire a maid service that brings their own vacuums ;-)

n...@spam.net

Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
On Wed, 01 Mar 2000 08:09:07 GMT, ca...@home.com wrote:

>The carpet cleaning head attachment is stuck onto the end of the metal
>vacuum hose extensions. All the yanking in the world won't get it off.
>Frustrating. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lubricant of some sort would help. but you need to be using a twisting motion to
free them. Two people and some of those rubber grippy things you open jars with
would help.

Robert Macy

Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
Not sure, but it sounds like the two aluminum surfaces have "seized". We're
talking almost a forge weld joint.

Ice the inside one, heat the outside one and pull and twist like hell.

- Robert -

Or you could do what I did. Leave it on and buy another tube.

>On Wed, 01 Mar 2000 08:09:07 GMT, ca...@home.com wrote:
>
>>The carpet cleaning head attachment is stuck onto the end of the metal
>>vacuum hose extensions. All the yanking in the world won't get it off.
>>Frustrating. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

==

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
On Wed, 01 Mar 2000 08:09:07 GMT, ca...@home.com wrote:

>The carpet cleaning head attachment is stuck onto the end of the metal
>vacuum hose extensions. All the yanking in the world won't get it off.
>Frustrating. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Try heating the attachment with a hair dryer. It should expand and
loosen up so youcan pull it off. Be careful not to heat the hose too
much though as this will expand too. You can wrap a cool rag around
the hose while you heat the attachment. This will work.

katie...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2013, 11:06:36 AM11/13/13
On Wednesday, March 1, 2000 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, ca...@home.com wrote:
> The carpet cleaning head attachment is stuck onto the end of the metal
> vacuum hose extensions. All the yanking in the world won't get it off.
> Frustrating. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Oh, thank you for the heating suggestion! It worked.

DerbyDad03

Nov 13, 2013, 11:13:47 AM11/13/13
13 years later and the problem has been solved.

Thanks for the update!

Stormin Mormon

Nov 13, 2013, 11:20:38 AM11/13/13
Next time, don't wait thirteen years to tell us.
You know how your Mama hates to be kept waiting.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

Stormin Mormon

Nov 13, 2013, 11:22:56 AM11/13/13
In the thirteen years we waited, Gramma had a heart
attack and died. Gramps has been rattling around in
the old house. Scooter, now 26, has got out of jail
and is working at a half way house. Scooter attempted
suicide several times, not knowing about the vacuum
atachment. You should have told us sooner.

Oren

Nov 13, 2013, 12:07:19 PM11/13/13
Heated for 13 years; may melt the attachment.

nestork

Nov 13, 2013, 6:22:40 PM11/13/13

Yeah, we were all wondering how that worked out for you.

--
nestork

The Daring Dufas

Nov 15, 2013, 1:56:23 AM11/15/13
I really believe the weirdness is purposely being done by Google to
disrupt Usenet because the evil corporation doesn't own Usenet so the
malevolent monster that ate The Internet is trying to flood the private
servers with trash thus disrupting Usenet and driving people away and
causing folks who own private servers to give up and get out of the
Usenet business. First the non paid, hobbyists and institution operators
of servers will be driven out then the paid services will be destroyed
by driving their customers away. O_o

TDD

netwrit...@gmail.com

Mar 5, 2016, 4:32:16 PM3/5/16
On Saturday, March 4, 2000 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, == wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Mar 2000 08:09:07 GMT, ca...@home.com wrote:
>
> >The carpet cleaning head attachment is stuck onto the end of the metal
> >vacuum hose extensions. All the yanking in the world won't get it off.
> >Frustrating. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
> >
> Try heating the attachment with a hair dryer. It should expand and
> loosen up so youcan pull it off. Be careful not to heat the hose too
> much though as this will expand too. You can wrap a cool rag around
> the hose while you heat the attachment. This will work.

Thanks, It worked like magic!

Oren

Mar 5, 2016, 5:26:51 PM3/5/16
On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 13:32:05 -0800 (PST), netwrit...@gmail.com
wrote:
I'm happy you found a solution from 16 years ago.

Micky

Mar 5, 2016, 5:33:29 PM3/5/16
On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 13:32:05 -0800 (PST), netwrit...@gmail.com
wrote:

I tried a hair dryer for one of those poles that extend from 6' to 15'
and it didn't work. Finally managed to hold one end between two
fence pickets so I could use all my efforts on the other end.

DerbyDad03

Mar 5, 2016, 6:23:59 PM3/5/16
That works with sheep too.

Oren

Mar 5, 2016, 6:38:45 PM3/5/16
On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 15:23:51 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
<teama...@eznet.net> wrote:

> Finally managed to hold one end between two
>> fence pickets so I could use all my efforts on the other end.
>
>That works with sheep too.

The difficult part is getting the sheep to push back.

DerbyDad03

Mar 5, 2016, 6:46:47 PM3/5/16
You just need to keep saying "Baaaaaak"

Oren

Mar 5, 2016, 7:20:29 PM3/5/16
On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 15:46:40 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
<teama...@eznet.net> wrote:

>On Saturday, March 5, 2016 at 6:38:45 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
>> On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 15:23:51 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
>> <teama...@eznet.net> wrote:
>>
>> > Finally managed to hold one end between two
>> >
>> >That works with sheep too.
>>
>> The difficult part is getting the sheep to push back.
>
>You just need to keep saying "Baaaaaak"

And the sheep says Naaaaayyyh

DerbyDad03

Mar 5, 2016, 8:22:17 PM3/5/16
Not mine.

Stormin Mormon

Mar 5, 2016, 8:52:36 PM3/5/16
Year 2000, only 16 years ago. What's that in dog years?

--
.
Christopher A. Young

Stormin Mormon

Mar 5, 2016, 8:54:16 PM3/5/16
That's where the hair dryer comes in to
the picture.

Oren

Mar 5, 2016, 9:12:52 PM3/5/16
One horse year.

Oren

Mar 5, 2016, 9:16:32 PM3/5/16
On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 20:54:16 -0500, Stormin Mormon
<cayo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 3/5/2016 6:38 PM, Oren wrote:
>> On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 15:23:51 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
>> <teama...@eznet.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Finally managed to hold one end between two
>>>
>>> That works with sheep too.
>>
>> The difficult part is getting the sheep to push back.
>>

>That's where the hair dryer comes in to
>the picture.

Good thing you have expertise in this matter. Please expound further.
Enlighten the class with your technique.

Stormin Mormon

Mar 6, 2016, 7:14:35 AM3/6/16
Can't do that; it can only be explained in
Arabic.

Tekkie®

Mar 7, 2016, 3:06:17 PM3/7/16
DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...
You guys are giving us the voice of experience... I have a lot of questions
if want to enlighten us.

--
Tekkie

DerbyDad03

Mar 7, 2016, 3:26:30 PM3/7/16
Some questions are best answered by experience.

Uncle Monster

Mar 7, 2016, 5:23:35 PM3/7/16
Unfortunately the OP was killed 10 years ago when he tried to use lighter fluid and a propane torch to remove the attachment. It was a real tragedy. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Tragic Monster

twr...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2017, 2:08:01 PM3/1/17
On Wednesday, March 1, 2000 at 8:00:00 AM UTC, ca...@home.com wrote:
> The carpet cleaning head attachment is stuck onto the end of the metal
> vacuum hose extensions. All the yanking in the world won't get it off.
> Frustrating. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I had the same problem and found that the suggestion of twisting it worked perfectly. When I tried to pull the 2 parts apart, they felt like they had been superglued together but a minute of twisting to and fro and they separated easily.

thanks everyone!

vedr...@gmail.com

May 21, 2017, 11:19:48 AM5/21/17
On Wednesday, March 1, 2000 at 9:00:00 AM UTC+1, Dave A. Homeowner wrote:
> Suggestions listed in no particular order:
>
> - Try spraying WD-40 on the hose so that it seeps down into the
> junction.
>
> - Try heating the junction with a blow dryer. Be careful if there's
> plastic involved.
>
> - Put the head in a vice with padded jaws and use a padded pipe wrench
> on hose
>
> - Hire a maid service that brings their own vacuums ;-)
>
> ca...@home.com wrote:
> >
> > The carpet cleaning head attachment is stuck onto the end of the metal
> > vacuum hose extensions. All the yanking in the world won't get it off.
> > Frustrating. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks for the heating suggestion, it worked like a charm :)

edythe...@gmail.com

May 27, 2017, 5:22:08 PM5/27/17
On Wednesday, March 1, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, ca...@home.com wrote:
> The carpet cleaning head attachment is stuck onto the end of the metal
> vacuum hose extensions. All the yanking in the world won't get it off.
> Frustrating. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The hair dryer worked immediately. Thank you to whomever suggested this method. 5/26/17

carol...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2017, 2:39:17 PM12/20/17
yes! that worked. had mine only 3 months and it's the first it happen. glad I found these posts. so, this has been happening for 17 yrs, why hasn't the manufacturer remedy this and why isn't in the manual under troubleshooting?

Oren

Dec 20, 2017, 3:46:22 PM12/20/17
On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 11:39:12 -0800 (PST), carol...@gmail.com wrote:

>yes! that worked. had mine only 3 months and it's the first it happen. glad I found these posts. so, this has been happening for 17 yrs, why hasn't the manufacturer remedy this and why isn't in the manual under troubleshooting?

It cost money to do that stuff. I thought you knew!

maggieho...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2018, 7:02:07 PM4/26/18
Thanks if you are still out there. After reading this I was finally able to remove vacuum hose after using blow dryer. I really appreciate this help

lbee...@gmail.com

May 5, 2018, 7:22:39 AM5/5/18
So happy to find this thread today! I was going nuts, trying to remove the vacuum head. I had tried the WD-40, I had tried the clamps and twisting with pliers. I felt like I had tried everything (including banging it against our cement cellar wall)! But I did not try using a hairdryer until I saw this thread. And yes,the hairdryer trick, does work beautifully! Yay!! Thank you all.

artur.r.g...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2018, 7:56:39 AM11/22/18
On Wednesday, March 1, 2000 at 9:00:00 AM UTC+1, ca...@home.com wrote:
> The carpet cleaning head attachment is stuck onto the end of the metal
> vacuum hose extensions. All the yanking in the world won't get it off.
> Frustrating. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Combination of Penetrating grease and hairdrier worked.
Thanks for keeping this alive for 18+ years.

jaynechi...@hotmail.com

Jan 30, 2019, 8:34:42 AM1/30/19
Nearly 19 years on from the original post and I am very thankful for the advice 👍🏻😂

mcint...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2019, 4:29:51 AM3/23/19
On Wednesday, 1 March 2000 18:00:00 UTC+10, ca...@home.com wrote:
> The carpet cleaning head attachment is stuck onto the end of the metal
> vacuum hose extensions. All the yanking in the world won't get it off.
> Frustrating. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you, this worked for me!

trader_4

Mar 23, 2019, 9:28:19 AM3/23/19
Nice editing job. No idea what worked, what post you replied to,
what you're talking about.

micky

Mar 23, 2019, 10:47:19 AM3/23/19
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 23 Mar 2019 01:29:47 -0700 (PDT),
Somone went to the trouble to help you, but you can't bother to help
anyone else. By saying what it is that worked, what it worked for, how
exactly you did it. Etc.

Ed Pawlowski

Mar 23, 2019, 3:11:30 PM3/23/19
And it took him 19 years from the original post to get it to work.

Oren

Mar 23, 2019, 3:51:28 PM3/23/19
... and this will all be around forever

mcint...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2019, 8:01:33 PM3/23/19
Wow, such sarcastic and nasty responses to my expression of gratitude. I found this page when I googled how to get off a stuck vacuum cleaner attachment. I used the hairdryer trick and happily it worked, but I don't feel so grateful after the nastiness expressed by the four responses. Sort yourselves out.

Ed Pawlowski

Mar 23, 2019, 10:28:50 PM3/23/19
On 3/23/2019 8:01 PM, mcint...@gmail.com wrote:
> Wow, such sarcastic and nasty responses to my expression of gratitude. I found this page when I googled how to get off a stuck vacuum cleaner attachment. I used the hairdryer trick and happily it worked, but I don't feel so grateful after the nastiness expressed by the four responses. Sort yourselves out.

How are we supposed to know what you are talking about when you left out
important information from a 19 year old post? Good chance the guy you
replied to is long gone or even dead.

Had you mentioned the hair dryer trick the first time it would have made
sense and possibly helped others. CONTEXT. It is important.

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Mar 24, 2019, 12:14:19 AM3/24/19
Ed .. Yo ! Ed ! .. you're replying to someone
who is replying to a 19 year old post - bad enough -
.. but the post is about getting a vac attachment off !
.. the depths to whch we have sunk ..
.. and alas I'm hereby adding to the futility of it all.
Fie.
John T.

Bob F

Mar 24, 2019, 12:44:11 AM3/24/19
On 3/23/2019 5:01 PM, mcint...@gmail.com wrote:
> Wow, such sarcastic and nasty responses to my expression of gratitude. I found this page when I googled how to get off a stuck vacuum cleaner attachment. I used the hairdryer trick and happily it worked, but I don't feel so grateful after the nastiness expressed by the four responses. Sort yourselves out.

The problem is that google groups is posting a usenet thread on their
web site as if it is their own product. People who use usenet to view
newsgroups do not see ancient parts of ancient threads, so it is
accepted practice to quote relevant info in replies to old threads so
that readers can make sense of the conversation.

Juan Garcia

Mar 24, 2019, 5:46:08 AM3/24/19
On 3/24/19 12:43 AM, Bob F wrote:
> The problem is that google groups is posting a usenet thread on their web site as if it is their own product.

Exactly! It's not uncommon for democrats to take the work of others and repackage it as their own.

trader_4

Mar 24, 2019, 8:56:24 AM3/24/19
I use Google Groups and saw all the ancient parts, but I wasn't going
to wade through and read all of them to try to guess what the new poster
was replying to. I still haven't read all the replies, but I'm sure you
will agree that most times there are many different suggestions on what
to try, what to do. At the end of an old thread this new poster just said
"thanks, that worked great", trimming off everything that they replied to,
including whoever made the post. So, there was no way to even know which
poster they replied to or what worked. Unless one were to read ALL the
posts and find that there was only one thing suggested. Like someone said,
if they just said the hairdryer trick worked, then everyone would know.

Ed Pawlowski

Mar 24, 2019, 2:26:50 PM3/24/19
I wonder if he gets his wife off.

Oren

Mar 24, 2019, 2:52:39 PM3/24/19
... or himself?!

mako...@yahoo.com

Mar 25, 2019, 10:14:34 AM3/25/19

> I use Google Groups and saw all the ancient parts, but I wasn't going
> to wade through and read all of them to try to guess what the new poster
> was replying to.

right GG is not the issue. We see all the old posts.

micky

Mar 25, 2019, 6:06:00 PM3/25/19
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 25 Mar 2019 07:14:30 -0700 (PDT),
And the OP takes none of the responsibility, and get this, says he
doesn't feel so grateful. Who was he grateful to in the first place,
whoever suggested the hair dryer, someone who did not dump on him, OR
usenet as a whole, when it was only 4 of us who had dumped on him?

Dean Hoffman

Mar 25, 2019, 6:20:35 PM3/25/19
I think you're responding to Trader 4. Normally I'd see
something about
makolber.....................wrote
Trader 4 wrote...................................
Then you would quote the relevant part of T4's post you're responding to
and write you're response. No need for a reader to wade through maybe
100 posts going back years and straying from one topic to the next.
I'm using Thunderbird newsreader on usenet with a MacBook Air.

j.a.f...@gmail.com

Oct 22, 2019, 1:57:26 PM10/22/19
Almost 20 years now and still going strong - the hairdryer solution worked for me today.

Anyhole Willdue

Oct 22, 2019, 6:18:24 PM10/22/19
On 10/22/2019 10:57 AM, j.a.f...@gmail.com wrote:
> Almost 20 years now and still going strong - the hairdryer solution worked for me today.

Did you try some Vaseline?

aimee....@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2019, 3:56:35 PM12/8/19
Heat nor lubricant is working for me. Mine feels like it is super glued.

micky

Dec 9, 2019, 1:42:46 AM12/9/19
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 8 Dec 2019 12:56:31 -0800 (PST),
aimee....@gmail.com wrote:

> Heat nor lubricant is working for me. Mine feels like it is super glued.

If heat doesnt' work, maybe cold will. If it doesnt' fit in the
freezer, pour some ice cubes down the tub to the attachment and wait 10
or 15 minutes.

I wonder which gets larger/smaller faster, the plastic attachment or the
metal tube.

Libby

Dec 9, 2019, 6:05:05 AM12/9/19
Maybe she just needs to push the little button in to release the carpet attachment from the vacuum hose?

Clare Snyder

Dec 9, 2019, 6:05:11 PM12/9/19
Generally plastic expands and contracts more than steel with
trmperature change.
Using ice is liable to crack the plastic. Using a hair drier is more
likely to be effective.
Perhaps cooling the tube and heating the plastic MIGHT work.

NEMO

Dec 10, 2019, 8:50:44 AM12/10/19
On Mon, 9 Dec 2019 15:26:54 -0800, "fake vet Afro-Eyetalian Scatboi
Colon La Edmund J. Burke" <burkesbo...@pattaya.com> wrote:

>On 12/8/2019 12:56 PM, aimee....@gmail.com wrote:
> > Heat nor lubricant is working for me. Mine feels like it is super glued.
> >

>Well, Aimee... Would you like me to come over and stick my big cock in
>there? (You, not the vacuum.)

The only big cock you got is already stuck in yer anus, Midnight!

ozda...@gmail.com

May 30, 2020, 5:14:42 AM5/30/20
Well this got weird.
I like the bit about the sheep best. Consensus seems to be to heat the attachment with a hair dryer. Going to go try...

ozda...@gmail.com

May 30, 2020, 5:31:18 AM5/30/20
Hairdryer applied for about one minute. Bits came apart with ease.

sherbe...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2020, 6:36:03 PM6/30/20
Hahahaha

ebau...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2020, 6:12:25 AM7/6/20
This method worked for me. Thanks.

FromTheRafters

Jul 6, 2020, 7:55:54 AM7/6/20
ebau...@gmail.com formulated on Monday :
> This method worked for me. Thanks.

Yay!

Thomas Kelly

Mar 11, 2021, 10:54:07 AM3/11/21
On Wednesday, March 1, 2000 at 8:00:00 AM UTC, ca...@home.com wrote:
> The carpet cleaning head attachment is stuck onto the end of the metal
> vacuum hose extensions. All the yanking in the world won't get it off.
> Frustrating. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
21 years later, brilliant answers, use a hairdryer...works a treat.

Tess Scott

Sep 2, 2021, 4:08:05 AM9/2/21
Yes ! This happens every time I swap the vacuum head for the plastic crevice tool. My very beefy next door neighbour is probably getting very fed up with my asking him to remove the nozzle again. Thanks to 20 years of (mainly) helpful and amusing tips on here I did it myself today using the hair dryer method. Thanks all xx

Nasrin Khanom Eva

Feb 24, 2023, 9:58:01 AM2/24/23
On Saturday, 4 March 2000 at 14:00:00 UTC+6, == wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Mar 2000 08:09:07 GMT, ca...@home.com wrote:
> >The carpet cleaning head attachment is stuck onto the end of the metal
> >vacuum hose extensions. All the yanking in the world won't get it off.
> >Frustrating. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
> >
> Try heating the attachment with a hair dryer. It should expand and
> loosen up so youcan pull it off. Be careful not to heat the hose too
> much though as this will expand too. You can wrap a cool rag around
> the hose while you heat the attachment. This will work.
Yes heating with hair dryer did the job like a breeze. Thanks a lot....