Old-style Drano crystals -- have they disappeared down the drain?

J.Albert

Jun 20, 2019, 11:01:16 AM6/20/19
What happened to the "old-style" Drano "crystals"?

Used up my last trusty can of this stuff, but it seems to
have disappeared from stores and from online.

Has it been withdrawn from the market as a product?

I see this now available:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Drano-Kitchen-Granules-Clog-Remover-17-6-Ounce/192716180251?hash=item2cdec78b1b:g:6MgAAOSwKDpb4y2k

Same product?
Or...?

rbowman

Jun 20, 2019, 12:55:23 PM6/20/19

J.Albert

Jun 20, 2019, 4:38:35 PM6/20/19
rbowman provided the link:
> https://www.lowes.com/pd/Drano-18-oz-Drain-Cleaner-Crystals/3344606

That's one of the first places I looked.

I don't know what it says where you are, but where I am
(western CT), it says:
- unavailable for pickup
and
- delivery: currently unavailable.

In other words... they don't have it any more.

Scott Lurndal

Jun 20, 2019, 4:50:43 PM6/20/19
Apparently some states require purchases of Drano to be recorded
and sent to the state (because it's been used as a weapon in
a small number of attacks). Illinois, for example, requires the
purchaser to present ID and the purchase info is transmitted to the
state. Rather than build the appropriate techniques to do this,
many stores simply stopped carrying the product.

rbowman

Jun 20, 2019, 5:41:45 PM6/20/19
When Drano is illegal... The local Lowes does have 'Roebic
Laboratories, Inc. 32-oz Drain Cleaner Crystals' for $14.98 in Aisle 16
Bay 10. The label says it's 100% lye.

According to Wikipedia the name was changed to 'Drano Kitchen Crystals
Clog Remover' in 2016. The local Home Depot, Ace, as well as Amazon
shows it in stock. Lowes can find it on a search.

https://www.drano.com/en-us/products/drano-kitchen-granules-clog-remover
says it heats up so it must be the original formula with powdered
aluminum to react with the lye.

Colonel Edmund J. Burke

Jun 20, 2019, 5:57:56 PM6/20/19
On 6/20/2019 1:50 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

> Apparently some states require purchases of Drano to be recorded
> and sent to the state (because it's been used as a weapon in
> a small number of attacks). Illinois, for example, requires the
> purchaser to present ID and the purchase info is transmitted to the
> state. Rather than build the appropriate techniques to do this,
> many stores simply stopped carrying the product.

You have the patriot act to thank for that.
Just another little erosion of your rights as a citizen of america, land of the welfare addict.

Colonel Edmund J. Burke

Jun 20, 2019, 7:47:45 PM6/20/19
Idiots like Scott Lurndal voted in the "Little Bush." It's anuses like him that brought the patriot act down upon us.
May he roast in the shitty diarrhea puddle of fire forever more.
Amein.

David

Jun 21, 2019, 12:28:07 AM6/21/19

"Colonel Edmund J. Burke" wrote in message news:xWUOE.4$HD...@fx13.iad...
Why do you want to learn?

Colonel Edmund J. Burke

Jun 21, 2019, 3:13:04 AM6/21/19
Asshole!

David

Jun 22, 2019, 2:56:51 AM6/22/19

"Colonel Edmund J. Burke" wrote in message news:%r%OE.28$4a...@fx42.iad...
that's good speech

David

Jun 23, 2019, 2:21:20 PM6/23/19

"Colonel Edmund J. Burke" wrote in message news:zjTOE.8$mt...@fx25.iad...
I feel little.

Colonel Edmund J. Burke

Jun 23, 2019, 2:39:10 PM6/23/19
On 6/23/2019 11:21 AM, David wrote:

> I feel little.

That's yer brain, lil' feller.

David

Jun 23, 2019, 7:01:51 PM6/23/19

On 6/23/2019 11:21 AM, David wrote:

> I feel little.

That's yer brain, lil' feller.

thanks

vulgardisplay

Sep 21, 2020, 10:43:23 PM9/21/20
The main reason why you cant get It anymore cause its one of the additional ingredients you need to cook meth

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/old-style-drano-crystals-have-they-disappeared-down-the-d-1194170-.htm

Peter

Sep 22, 2020, 11:21:36 AM9/22/20
On 9/21/2020 10:43 PM, vulgardisplay wrote:
> The main reason why you cant get It anymore cause its one of the
> additional ingredients you need to cook meth

Last year I bought a plastic jar of ZEP crystal heat drain opener at the
HD local. Works as well for me as Drano used to. Maybe they still sell it.

Wade Garrett

Sep 22, 2020, 1:31:12 PM9/22/20
On 9/21/20 10:43 PM, vulgardisplay wrote:
> The main reason why you cant get It anymore cause its one of the
> additional ingredients you need to cook meth

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Drano-Kitchen-Crystals-Clog-Remover-18-Ounces/15161573

$5.58 at Wally's....

--
Karl Marx is an historically prominent figure- but no one ever mentions
his wife Onya who invented the Starter’s Pistol...

Fishrrman

Sep 26, 2020, 1:18:25 PM9/26/20
On 9/22/20 11:21 AM, Peter wrote:
> Last year I bought a plastic jar of ZEP crystal heat drain
> opener at the HD local.  Works as well for me as Drano used
> to.  Maybe they still sell it.

I believe I'm the originator of this thread, some time back.

I tried the ZEP crystals, they work... but not quite as well
as the old Crystal Drano did...

Linmarie221

Nov 18, 2021, 6:31:33 PM11/18/21
I can't find it either! The new stuff just doesn't work! I can't afford a plumber every time my bathroom sink gets a build-up of hair and soap scum. I need that original drano! What happen to it?

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 18, 2021, 7:27:20 PM11/18/21
On 11/18/2021 6:31 PM, Linmarie221 wrote:
> I can't find it either!  The new stuff just doesn't work!  I can't
> afford a plumber every time my bathroom sink gets a build-up of hair and
> soap scum.  I need that original drano!   What happen to it?

A piece of screen can get the hair so you never need a cleaner.

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Nov 18, 2021, 7:47:16 PM11/18/21
OK, you twisted my arm - I'll share my < patent pending >
bathroom sink/tub/shower tool for removing hair ...
Find one of those ~ 18 - 24 inch zip ties < cable tie >
and slice a few angled cuts into the pointy end - which you will
stick down the drain and jig around until the cuts snag some hair
and you pull it out and carefully grab the hair and pull
out the big wad of hair that the snagged hairs are attached to.
Repeat a few times ; rinse off the magic tool for future use.
Warning - the stuff that clogs drains is disgusting -
it's not my fault.
John T.

RStreets

Nov 18, 2021, 8:04:42 PM11/18/21
Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.xxx> wrote in
The original post is at least 2 years old, but here's my 2 cents worth.

I've got a bathroom vanity that has double sinks, each has a p-trap, but
after that, both are combined to a single drain behind the sheet rock.
Perhaps once or twice a year, both clog at the same time. I've removed
both traps and tried to snake into the wall, past the removed traps, but
the angle headed downhill, under the house, is just too acute. I then go
under the house, with a 25' snake, and still can't get anything loose
either above or below towards the sewer or cleanout. I'm never quite
sure where the clog is, but I've always believed it's just beyond both
traps, in the wall where they both join.

So what I decided to do one year was to use

Max Gel Pro Strength Clog Remover

I slowly pour down 1/2 of a 32 oz. bottle down one of the double vainith
sink's drain, and let it sit for 30 minutes. I pour the remaining 16 oz.
down the other drain.

While I wait the 30 minutes, I boil (a full boil) 4 quarts of water in a
pot on the stove. Sometimes 6 quarts if my wife isn't using the larger
pot. I very carefully carry the boiling water from the kitchen to the
bathroom, and slowly pour the entire amount down one of the drains. It
completely clears both drains, but nonetheless, I boil anothe pot of
water and pour it down the second drain. Works all the time.

The Real Bev

Nov 18, 2021, 8:55:49 PM11/18/21
On 11/18/2021 04:48 PM, hub...@ccanoemail.ca wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2021 19:27:13 -0500, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.xxx> wrote:
>
>>On 11/18/2021 6:31 PM, Linmarie221 wrote:
>>> I can't find it either! The new stuff just doesn't work! I can't
>>> afford a plumber every time my bathroom sink gets a build-up of hair and
>>> soap scum. I need that original drano! What happen to it?
>>
>>A piece of screen can get the hair so you never need a cleaner.

You'd think, wouldn't you? Unfortunately the thing gets pushed out of
the way sometimes. Moreover, toothpaste spit clogs it up every other day.

> OK, you twisted my arm - I'll share my < patent pending >
> bathroom sink/tub/shower tool for removing hair ...
> Find one of those ~ 18 - 24 inch zip ties < cable tie >
> and slice a few angled cuts into the pointy end - which you will
> stick down the drain and jig around until the cuts snag some hair
> and you pull it out and carefully grab the hair and pull
> out the big wad of hair that the snagged hairs are attached to.
> Repeat a few times ; rinse off the magic tool for future use.

I like that. You can buy a plastic thing at the dollar stores with a lot
of hooks, but unfortunately the thing is easily breakable. Fortunately
it broke within reach. The nice thing about zip-ties is you can make a
thing long enough to MAYBE reach the clog.

> Warning - the stuff that clogs drains is disgusting -
> it's not my fault.

I don't want to know what the black goo is made of, I just want it to go
away.

Somewhere a long time ago I bought a sink trap with an o-ring gasketed
trap door at the bottom. I keep a rubbermaid container under it in case
it leaks, but it never has. Unfortunately the kitchen sink clog happens
a considerable distance away, requiring shoving a garden hose down the
cleanout and turning the water on all the way. So far, so good.

We once had to rent a 50-foot (or maybe 100-foot, it was a while ago)
power snake and feed it down the standpipe from the roof. Whoever
plumbed our house did it with definite criminal intent.

--
Cheers, Bev
Not all cultures are equal. If they were, we

gfre...@aol.com

Nov 18, 2021, 10:37:36 PM11/18/21
On Thu, 18 Nov 2021 17:55:42 -0800, The Real Bev
<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>We once had to rent a 50-foot (or maybe 100-foot, it was a while ago)
>power snake and feed it down the standpipe from the roof. Whoever
>plumbed our house did it with definite criminal intent.

I bought one from Harbor Fright that I have only used a few times but
it paid for itself each time. I put wheels on it so it is easy to roll
in from the shed when I need it. Usually the best way is to pull the
crapper farthest away from the exit of the soil pipe. I keep a spare
wax ring or two right there with the snake.
I also have a smaller one, 25' or so that goes in a 2" and you run it
with a drill.

Retirednoguilt

Nov 19, 2021, 8:48:47 AM11/19/21
On 11/18/2021 6:31 PM, Linmarie221 wrote:
> I can't find it either!  The new stuff just doesn't work!  I can't
> afford a plumber every time my bathroom sink gets a build-up of hair and
> soap scum.  I need that original drano!   What happen to it?

ZEP commercial Crystal Heat drain opener crystals are very similar and
work the same way and are inexpensive. Comes in a 2 lb plastic
cannister. I purchased mine a few years ago at my neighborhood HD and
only need to use it about 2-3/yr.

micky

Nov 20, 2021, 4:50:37 AM11/20/21
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 18 Nov 2021 23:31:28 +0000, Linmarie221
<d9f6d3604de8aa7c...@example.com> wrote:

>I can't find it either! The new stuff just doesn't work! I can't afford a plumber every time my bathroom sink gets a build-up of hair and soap scum. I need that original drano! What happen to it?

Someone upstairs from my mother put Drano in her kitchen drain, it
backed up into my mother's kitchen sink and ruinge an expensive pot that
was sitting there.

I think there are better things than drano. Can't you keep that stuff
out of the drain?

micky

Nov 20, 2021, 4:57:47 AM11/20/21
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 18 Nov 2021 17:55:42 -0800, The Real Bev
<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 11/18/2021 04:48 PM, hub...@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

>>>A piece of screen can get the hair so you never need a cleaner.
>
>You'd think, wouldn't you? Unfortunately the thing gets pushed out of
>the way sometimes. Moreover, toothpaste spit clogs it up every other day.
>
>> OK, you twisted my arm - I'll share my < patent pending >
>> bathroom sink/tub/shower tool for removing hair ...
>> Find one of those ~ 18 - 24 inch zip ties < cable tie >
>> and slice a few angled cuts into the pointy end - which you will
>> stick down the drain and jig around until the cuts snag some hair
>> and you pull it out and carefully grab the hair and pull
>> out the big wad of hair that the snagged hairs are attached to.
>> Repeat a few times ; rinse off the magic tool for future use.
>
>I like that. You can buy a plastic thing at the dollar stores with a lot
>of hooks, but unfortunately the thing is easily breakable. Fortunately
>it broke within reach. The nice thing about zip-ties is you can make a
>thing long enough to MAYBE reach the clog.

I have zip-ties that are 3 feet long.

I used one to snake a wire above the windwhield to power the sunvisor
mirror light, iirc.

>> Warning - the stuff that clogs drains is disgusting -
>> it's not my fault.

A girl I knew asked me to fix her drain. It was disgusting but she
noticed and specifically mentioned that when she effusively thanked me.
I don't think I had to touch it and merely looking at it didn't bother
me much.

>I don't want to know what the black goo is made of, I just want it to go
>away.

No black goo that time.

My own drains have never clogged in 50 years** except the toilet once,
and quick plunger took care fo that.

**And probably not the 18 I lived at home.

micky

Nov 20, 2021, 5:01:01 AM11/20/21
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 19 Nov 2021 01:04:36 -0000 (UTC), RStreets
<stre...@aol.com> wrote:

>Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.xxx> wrote in
>
>> On 11/18/2021 6:31 PM, Linmarie221 wrote:
>>> I can't find it either!  The new stuff just doesn't work!  I can't
>>> afford a plumber every time my bathroom sink gets a build-up of hair
>>> and soap scum.  I need that original drano!   What happen to it?
>>>

>> A piece of screen can get the hair so you never need a cleaner.
>
>The original post is at least 2 years old, but here's my 2 cents worth.

The original post is 2 years old, but the one we're replying to, by
Linmarie, is one day old.

Bob F

Nov 20, 2021, 12:26:58 PM11/20/21

gfre...@aol.com

Nov 20, 2021, 1:10:06 PM11/20/21
On Sat, 20 Nov 2021 04:57:41 -0500, micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com>
wrote:
That is a good use for that box of nitrile gloves you are hoarding
since covid started. I usually wear rubber gloves when I am cleaning
out old wax rings too.

micky

Nov 20, 2021, 5:56:33 PM11/20/21
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 20 Nov 2021 13:09:16 -0500,
gfre...@aol.com wrote:

>>A girl I knew asked me to fix her drain. It was disgusting but she
>>noticed and specifically mentioned that when she effusively thanked me.
>>I don't think I had to touch it and merely looking at it didn't bother
>>me much.
>>>
>>>I don't want to know what the black goo is made of, I just want it to go
>>>away.
>>
>>No black goo that time.
>>
>>My own drains have never clogged in 50 years** except the toilet once,
>>and quick plunger took care fo that.
>>
>>**And probably not the 18 I lived at home.
>
>That is a good use for that box of nitrile gloves you are hoarding
>since covid started. I usually wear rubber gloves when I am cleaning
>out old wax rings too.

Heck, i've been hoarding them since 2008. That's when I was in the
hospital for a few days and when I left the nurses gave me some medidcal
supplies I would need when I got home**, plus all my partly-used medical
supplies, including a box of 150 gloves. They'd only used 4 to 10 of
them, so I got 140+. I would think they'd just use them for the next
patient, and by giving them to me, I had to pay for the whole box, but I
wasn't in the mood to argue.

I'm really not hoarding them. I use them when I remember and think my
hands might get dirty, but I almost never think of it.

The girl with the sink was long before then. The crud from the sink is
disgusting but it washes right off. No need for gloves which make my
hands sweat sometimes.

**I had a hole in my belly the same shape and literally as big as a
large spool of thread, an inch in diameter and more than an inch deep,
and shaped like a spool of thread. With a flat bottom and square
corners. I wonder what was at the bottom. It was red, not cream colored
like i'd expect fat to me.

And I had to pour some chemical on two gauze pads and stuff them in the
hole, every day or two iirc, for weeks as the hole slowly closed. It
was bright red inside, like blood, but no bleeding! Then I started
running out of the chemical and I called a dozen pharmacies and no one
had it. Not even the pharmacy at the hospital where it was given to me.
Finally one far away did, and I said, Can you mark it for me so you
don't sell it before I get there, and she said, "No one is going to buy
this." Someone had ordered it months or years earlier and never picked
it up and no one else wanted it. But I made what I had do, didn't use
more than needed, and I didn't buy more after all.

Bob F

Nov 20, 2021, 6:18:36 PM11/20/21
Drano?

gfre...@aol.com

Nov 20, 2021, 10:26:10 PM11/20/21
I thought they dealt with the dangers of Drano in "Magnum Force".

missmiranda

Jan 21, 2022, 10:45:15 PMJan 21
GROSS!!. USE GRANULES!!