O.T. Who is still using 4G phones ?

AK

Dec 2, 2022, 11:52:23 PM12/2/22
I am curious as to how many of you have 4G phones in use?

I have a Samsung S5 which I am very satisfied with.

It is considered old, but that is not a problem for me.

I have my service with Veri@on, and my plan costs $33.08 per month.

I forgot how much data it has, but I have never run "out".

And my plan is grandfathered in, so my rate will not go up.

Then I was curious as to when 4G might be phased out.

According to the info here, it will be quite a while.

https://www.carritech.com/news/when-will-4g-be-phased-out/

When will 4G be phased out? Shutdown of 4G networks are not expected for another decade at least. Of course, this all depends on the uptake of 5G connections and whether the technology can thrive without 4G altogether.

Andy

Why is it that tornadoes, volcanic explosions, tsunamis are called acts of God.

What about the other days when those events are not occuring?

micky

Dec 3, 2022, 6:58:50 AM12/3/22
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 2 Dec 2022 20:52:19 -0800 (PST), AK
<scienti...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I am curious as to how many of you have 4G phones in use?

I do. I have 2 although I only use one in the USA. I have no plans to
go to 5G, until the USA phone breaks and a replacement 5G is not much
more money than 4G

I think the non-USA phone doesn't work as well in the USA, in rural
areas, as the USA phone, but it's hard to be sure. It works okay in
Baltimore and suburbs, and if I ever get to the point where I never
leave, even that phone will be enough.

>I have a Samsung S5 which I am very satisfied with.
>
>It is considered old, but that is not a problem for me.
>
>I have my service with Veri@on, and my plan costs $33.08 per month.
>
>I forgot how much data it has, but I have never run "out".
>
>And my plan is grandfathered in, so my rate will not go up.
>
>Then I was curious as to when 4G might be phased out.
>
>According to the info here, it will be quite a while.
>
>https://www.carritech.com/news/when-will-4g-be-phased-out/
>
>When will 4G be phased out? Shutdown of 4G networks are not expected for another decade at least.

That's good.

> Of course, this all depends on the uptake of 5G connections and whether the technology can thrive without 4G altogether.
>
>Andy
>
>Why is it that tornadoes, volcanic explosions, tsunamis are called acts of God.

Because they are not caused by people.

>What about the other days when those events are not occuring?

Those are not being commented on. When everything is normal, there is
not even an "act".

AK

Dec 3, 2022, 7:48:02 AM12/3/22

AK

Dec 3, 2022, 7:49:26 AM12/3/22
Sorry for the mystery post with nothing new.

Still recovering from hernia surgery. :-)

Andy

Frank

Dec 3, 2022, 8:00:56 AM12/3/22
When I looked it up, I also saw good for another 10 years. Phones
probably will not last that long so I don't worry about it.

I use TracFone which only costs me about $10/month. Pay annually for
minutes and data which roll over and seldom use for data unless on wifi
which is available just about every where I go.

It was only about a year ago that my flip phone with just calling was
phased out of 3g when I got my smart phone. There were a few problems
for me before the complete phase out as some went faster than others.

trader_4

Dec 3, 2022, 11:05:16 AM12/3/22
The more immediate problem was that older 4G phones don't support Voice
over LTE which has become a requirement now, I think you need it for all
carriers now. There was a lot of drama over the last year or so as carriers
shut down 3g and phones needed to have Volte to continue working, so
a lot of people had to get new phones. But I think if your old phone is
working now, it must have Volte and is OK.

rbowman

Dec 3, 2022, 11:08:53 AM12/3/22
On Fri, 2 Dec 2022 20:52:19 -0800 (PST), AK wrote:

> I am curious as to how many of you have 4G phones in use?

My internet connection is a MiFi on the Verizon network. Verizon's 5G
service is very limited. While they have all the 5G posters in the store
they tell you it isn't really available.

My phone provider is Mint which uses the T-Mobile network. T-Mobile shows
more 5G, mostly along I-90. The phone is 4G and I see no reason to upgrade
for the very limited coverage. It's a Nokia 4.2 and battery replacement
starts with 'Heat the phone up with a hair dryer to melt the glue.' I've
changed the battery in a Garmin Nuvi but that was easier so any move to 5G
will come if the battery starts to fail.

I don't use the phone as a phone very often and the only apps I use
regularly are Slack, a geocaching app, and a pedometer so I don't need the
latest, greatest, most expensive model.

micky

Dec 3, 2022, 12:21:56 PM12/3/22
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 3 Dec 2022 08:05:12 -0800 (PST), trader_4
Do they have flipphones and non-smart phones for 4G, with Voite?? I
have a friend who doesn't want to be bothered with a smart phone,
although his wife has one for those times they need it.

Jim Joyce

Dec 3, 2022, 1:13:52 PM12/3/22
On Sat, 03 Dec 2022 06:58:37 -0500, micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 2 Dec 2022 20:52:19 -0800 (PST), AK
><scienti...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I am curious as to how many of you have 4G phones in use?
>
>I do. I have 2 although I only use one in the USA. I have no plans to
>go to 5G, until the USA phone breaks and a replacement 5G is not much
>more money than 4G

Not sure if you have a working TV, but I FF through about 20 commercials
a day, telling me that I can bring in any phone, working or not, and
exchange it for the latest Samsung Galaxy S22 or Google Pixel. Terms
apply, of course, but once you're in the system, (I'm on Verizon), or if
you're a new customer, it's easy to stay current. I already have the
S20, so I haven't bothered to upgrade further just yet.

If you're waiting for a 5G phone to cost "not much more money than 4G",
your wait is probably over, now that they're free.

Peeler

Dec 3, 2022, 1:14:10 PM12/3/22
On 3 Dec 2022 16:08:43 GMT, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> My internet connection is a MiFi on the Verizon network.

HIGHLY interesting! Just like every other tiny detail you eagerly keep
telling everyone about yourself! <BG>

--
Yet more of the so very interesting senile blather by lowbrowwoman:
"My family loaded me into a '51 Chevy and drove from NY to Seattle and

Frank

Dec 3, 2022, 4:17:36 PM12/3/22
TracFone is still selling them so I assume they work.

rbowman

Dec 3, 2022, 4:56:01 PM12/3/22
On Sat, 03 Dec 2022 12:13:45 -0600, Jim Joyce wrote:

> If you're waiting for a 5G phone to cost "not much more money than 4G",
> your wait is probably over, now that they're free.

TANSTAAFL

Peeler

Dec 3, 2022, 5:09:43 PM12/3/22
On 3 Dec 2022 21:55:54 GMT, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> TANSTAAFL

What a bragging bigmouthed idiot ...well, a Trumptard! LMAO

--
More of the senile gossip's absolutely idiotic senile blather:
"I stopped for breakfast at a diner in Virginia when the state didn't do

I also lived in Ft. Wayne for a while."

MID: <t0tjfa$6r5$1...@dont-email.me>

AK

Dec 3, 2022, 9:12:50 PM12/3/22
While the phone is free, the monthly fee for service is much higher than 4G customers.

Andy

Dec 3, 2022, 9:41:42 PM12/3/22
I still use a 4G flip phone. I can

1) drop it in water (taking picture of fish)

2) I can sit on it

3) I can drop it

4) I CAN CHANGE THE FREAKIN BATTERY !!!!

I can't play video games on it. I will live.

There is 5G around here, but is works like crap
and there are tons of dead spots

Jim Joyce

Dec 3, 2022, 11:01:03 PM12/3/22
On Sat, 3 Dec 2022 18:12:46 -0800 (PST), AK <scienti...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Saturday, December 3, 2022 at 12:13:52 PM UTC-6, Jim Joyce wrote:
>> On Sat, 03 Dec 2022 06:58:37 -0500, micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com>
>> wrote:

>> >I do. I have 2 although I only use one in the USA. I have no plans to
>> >go to 5G, until the USA phone breaks and a replacement 5G is not much
>> >more money than 4G
>> Not sure if you have a working TV, but I FF through about 20 commercials
>> a day, telling me that I can bring in any phone, working or not, and
>> exchange it for the latest Samsung Galaxy S22 or Google Pixel. Terms
>> apply, of course, but once you're in the system, (I'm on Verizon), or if
>> you're a new customer, it's easy to stay current. I already have the
>> S20, so I haven't bothered to upgrade further just yet.
>>
>> If you're waiting for a 5G phone to cost "not much more money than 4G",
>> your wait is probably over, now that they're free.
>While the phone is free, the monthly fee for service is much higher than 4G customers.

I'll have to take your word for that. When I poke around the various
carrier websites, I don't see anything about one price for 4G and
another price for 5G.

micky

Dec 3, 2022, 11:22:06 PM12/3/22
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 03 Dec 2022 12:13:45 -0600, Jim Joyce
<no...@none.invalid> wrote:

>On Sat, 03 Dec 2022 06:58:37 -0500, micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 2 Dec 2022 20:52:19 -0800 (PST), AK
>><scienti...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I am curious as to how many of you have 4G phones in use?
>>
>>I do. I have 2 although I only use one in the USA. I have no plans to
>>go to 5G, until the USA phone breaks and a replacement 5G is not much
>>more money than 4G
>
>Not sure if you have a working TV,

I have 3, but with rare exceptions, I only watch Antenna TV and MeTV.
It's like being 30 years old** again. They have their own sets of
commercials.

**Although watching Hitchcock mysteries, etc., which are some of the
best tv shows ever, but usually about murder, is no longer as good as it
was. I'm disturbed by all the evil in the world in a way that I wasn't
when I was 30 or 50.

> but I FF through about 20 commercials
>a day, telling me that I can bring in any phone, working or not, and
>exchange it for the latest Samsung Galaxy S22 or Google Pixel. Terms

Never saw one of those. And when I'm busy, I don't always FF, but
still have not.

>apply, of course, but once you're in the system, (I'm on Verizon), or if
>you're a new customer, it's easy to stay current. I already have the
>S20, so I haven't bothered to upgrade further just yet.

I use Mint Mobile which has very little involvement in supplying phones.
They have to have some for people who don't have one, but I think most
people come with their own phone.

>If you're waiting for a 5G phone to cost "not much more money than 4G",
>your wait is probably over, now that they're free.

TNSTAAFL. There's no such thing as a free lunch. I don't know what
good 5G would do me anyhow?? My impression is that as the number of
cellular users grows to almost everyone, they needed to make cells
smaller to handle all the traffic. But that is their problem, not mine.
4G is already fast enough to watch a movie, which is something I do no
more than once a year. I use it for maps, occasional shopping, phone
calls including whatsapp, and when I'm away, as a hotspot. When I was
living in the car for 6 weeks, and even after I had my own room (but my
roommates who lived there full time didn't have wifi), it was the
hotspot for my laptop, and it worked well.

Off topic: Actually better than at home. Away, my phone was about 2
inches from the laptop and afaicr I never got disconnected from the net.
Now the Verizon FIOS router with wifi is 4 feet from the laptop and
every time I leave the room, the laptop gets disconnected from the net,
and doens't always reconnect automatically like it's set to do!

micky

Dec 3, 2022, 11:24:09 PM12/3/22
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 3 Dec 2022 04:49:22 -0800 (PST), AK
Good luck. I had a hernia and they fixed me up. Same to you.

Fishrrman

Dec 4, 2022, 12:50:21 PM12/4/22
On 12/2/22 11:52 PM, AK wrote:
> I am curious as to how many of you have 4G phones in use?

I use an LG 4g flip.
The only reason I bought it was because my old Samsung 3g
was about to be discontinued (as 3g itself was being turned
off).

I have next-to-no use for a cell phone, and wanted the
cheapest service available.

I found that at "pagepluscellular.com".
They use the Verizon network, so pageplus works wherever
Verizon works.

I picked a "use by the minute" plan, cheapest option was $10
for 4 months. Not much time, but I don't even use that.

So... cell phone service for $30 a year, total (tax brings
it to about $34).

I NEVER use the cell phone, it is ALWAYS turned off. You
can't call me on it. It's only there for emergencies (on
trips), or to rcv a text message for verification from
banks, etc.

(I seldom use the landline [VOIP] phone, either. And
NoMoRobo takes care of many of the junk calls on the first
ring...)

Frank

Dec 4, 2022, 1:28:48 PM12/4/22
Not sure but my wife was on a son's plan and needed a phone upgrade and
it would have cost him extra and he did not want her to do it.

Bob F

Dec 4, 2022, 2:20:24 PM12/4/22
On 12/2/2022 8:52 PM, AK wrote:
> I am curious as to how many of you have 4G phones in use?

Everyone that got bounced out of their perfectly suitable 3G phones when
their service provider forced them to update to 4G.

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Dec 4, 2022, 3:06:09 PM12/4/22
Heck.
I just replaced my 2G flip phone about a year ago.
... it was still working just fine, but
I'd had a few warnings from my provider.
The replacement - my first smart-phone - a Pixel 3a -
is 4G apparently .. which means nothing to me ..
.. but it is said to have a nice camera.
The new Pixel phones are being advertised as ...
... wait for it ...
... great cameras .. !
John T.

micky

Dec 4, 2022, 3:30:37 PM12/4/22
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 04 Dec 2022 15:06:37 -0500,
5G has really great cameras.

But I'm wating for 6G.

AK

Dec 4, 2022, 3:32:16 PM12/4/22
I pay $33.08 for my 4G phone service and I use a Samsung S5 which is rather old.

I asked Verizon how much their cheapest 5G plan and was told it was around $70 a month.

My phone is not 5G capable, so I would need a new phone.

Andy

AK

Dec 4, 2022, 3:33:25 PM12/4/22
I appreciate the nice comment. Other than some abdominal pain, I am doing well.

Andy

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Dec 4, 2022, 3:53:31 PM12/4/22

>> >While the phone is free, the monthly fee for service is much higher than 4G customers.
>> I'll have to take your word for that. When I poke around the various
>> carrier websites, I don't see anything about one price for 4G and
>> another price for 5G.
>
>I pay $33.08 for my 4G phone service and I use a Samsung S5 which is rather old.
>I asked Verizon how much their cheapest 5G plan and was told it was around $70 a month.
>My phone is not 5G capable, so I would need a new phone.
>Andy

I can't imagine paying $ 70. per month
or even $ 33. for any sort of cell phone plan.
I pay $ 100. per year and don't use it all.
I turn off my data and seldom need it - because
there are so many free wifi spots available.
To each his own.
John T.

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 4, 2022, 4:38:36 PM12/4/22
What do you pay for your landline? I don't have one, so my
cellphone doesn't seem so expensive.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Jim Joyce

Dec 4, 2022, 5:16:12 PM12/4/22
On Sun, 4 Dec 2022 12:32:12 -0800 (PST), AK <scienti...@gmail.com>
I have 2 lines on Verizon, costing about $42/line, but that's with
unlimited voice/text/data. The plan includes 5G, and my phone, the
Samsung Galaxy S20FE, also supports 5G, but there are no 5G towers in my
area. I travel frequently for work, though, so I see the 5G icon light
up when I'm in a 5G area.

Verizon is one of the carriers that heavily advertises free upgrades to
the latest Samsung Galaxy, the S22. I don't know the details of that,
though.

rbowman

Dec 4, 2022, 6:16:53 PM12/4/22
On Sun, 4 Dec 2022 12:33:21 -0800 (PST), AK wrote:

> I appreciate the nice comment. Other than some abdominal pain, I am
> doing well.

They're getting better. When my father had a hernia repair he was in the
VA for several days. Mine was outpatient. When I went into town to fill
the prescription the next day, I decided to go to work since it's only a
block from the pharmacy. Steri-Strips, no sutures. I walked slowly for a
while but it wasn't a big deal.

Mornings I reminded of that and everything else I've broken but so it
goes.

rbowman

Dec 4, 2022, 6:34:10 PM12/4/22
On Sun, 4 Dec 2022 12:32:12 -0800 (PST), AK wrote:

> I asked Verizon how much their cheapest 5G plan and was told it was
> around $70 a month.

I don't think 4G is any better. I've had a Verizon hotspot for years and
I've been happy with it but that's strictly data. The phone plan was a
non-starter for my phone usage. I had a TracFone flip but when 3G was
dying I went with Mint.

https://www.mintmobile.com/

They have phone but I got an unlocked Nokia from Amazon and used their
SIM. 4G/5G is the same but 5G here is very sparse.

rbowman

Dec 4, 2022, 6:37:29 PM12/4/22
On Sun, 04 Dec 2022 15:06:37 -0500, hubops wrote:

> he new Pixel phones are being advertised as ...
> ... wait for it ...
> ... great cameras .. !

Phones ain't phones anymore. Cars are the same -- read the reviews and
they're all about the infotainment center.

Ed Pawlowski

Dec 4, 2022, 6:54:47 PM12/4/22
On an auto forum I'm on there was a discussion of the manual. For
comparison, a 66 Chevy manual was 55 pages. My car has three, one is
571 pages, the other is 174, the last one a bit less.

The 174 pages covers the infotainment and navigation, voice commands and
on and on. The most complex part of that old Chevy was how to set the
buttons for radio stations you want.

Clare Snyder

Dec 4, 2022, 7:13:54 PM12/4/22
I pay $50 a month for my cell, with more data than I need - I got a
data plan so I could use my cell as a hotspot when troubleshooting
customers' internet issues. I carry a little USB wifi dongle in my
wallet that I can plug into customer's computer if they don't have
wifi built in and I can connect to MY wifi to make sure the problem is
not in their computer - usually it's a Bell from HELL problem. Also
works to download upfates/tools/programs for those few customers who
still have NO INTERNET. I've found it works good when I need
non-computer related information away from home too - like torque spec
for a bolt, or a tap drill size when I'm fixing something "out in the
sticks" - or to find some arcane information when talking with friends
- whether about cars, equipment, music, movies, weather, or whatever.

I used to cary arounf a stack of flopies, then a stack of CDs, then a
dew memory sticks - to carry my "computer tools" - now they are all on
the net - available through my phone/hotspot/wifi

Clare Snyder

Dec 4, 2022, 7:18:47 PM12/4/22
My landline is an IP Phone - I use OOMA - which requires an internet
connection. Sometimes wonder why I keep a landline at all - but with
OOMA I can take it with me anywhere in the world where I have an
internet connection and can make "home-local" calls free from anywhere
in the world - and I can check my answering machine anywhere I have a
wifi connection even if I leave the OOMA system at home. If I pay for
the enhanced service for a month or two away from home I can use my
cell on wifi anywhere in the world to call home

Ralph Mowery

Dec 4, 2022, 7:42:48 PM12/4/22
In article <or8jL.48429$X8k1...@fx13.iad>, hami...@invalid.com
says...

> What do you pay for your landline? I don't have one, so my
> cellphone doesn't seem so expensive.

My landline is through my internet modem. It is $ 100 per month for
both. The internet speed is 200 of the fast speed bits whatever they
are. Speed test is usually 230 down and 11 up.

Ralph Mowery

Dec 4, 2022, 7:45:09 PM12/4/22
In article <3rajL.62109$pem1....@fx10.iad>, e...@snet.xxx says...

> On an auto forum I'm on there was a discussion of the manual. For
> comparison, a 66 Chevy manual was 55 pages. My car has three, one is
> 571 pages, the other is 174, the last one a bit less.
>
> The 174 pages covers the infotainment and navigation, voice commands and
> on and on. The most complex part of that old Chevy was how to set the
> buttons for radio stations you want.

The electronics manual is often larger than the manual for the car part.

micky

Dec 4, 2022, 8:59:55 PM12/4/22
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 4 Dec 2022 18:54:40 -0500, Ed Pawlowski
Aint that the truth.

AFAIC, the radio is the most important part, because all the cars run,
and they all go fast enough for me.

But now I'm hooked on a radio with map.

My 2005 Toyota has that and I was able to add telephone** and
bluetooth/3.5mm inputs.

**Even though no one ever calls me when I'm in the car. Only 2 people
have my cell phone number.

Peeler

Dec 5, 2022, 3:09:38 AM12/5/22
On 4 Dec 2022 23:16:44 GMT, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> They're getting better. When my father had a hernia repair he was

Oh, NO!!! The idiotic senile gossiping starts again!

<FLUSH rest of senile crap unread again>

Peeler

Dec 5, 2022, 3:13:00 AM12/5/22
On 4 Dec 2022 23:34:02 GMT, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> I don't think

You are right! It's just your big mouth blathering away in its known
incontinent manner, just like the mouth of any gossiping washerwoman. <G>

--
Yet more absolutely idiotic senile blather by lowbrowwoman:
"I save my fries quota for one of the local food trucks that offers

Peeler

Dec 5, 2022, 3:17:55 AM12/5/22
On 4 Dec 2022 23:37:21 GMT, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> Phones ain't phones anymore. Cars are the same -- read the reviews and
> they're all about the infotainment center.

And Yanks aren't Yanks anymore. They've obviously become driveling senile
assholes, worse than any washerwoman. I am surprised, I have to admit.

--
Yet more of the so very interesting senile blather by lowbrowwoman:
"My family loaded me into a '51 Chevy and drove from NY to Seattle and
back in '52. I'm alive. The Chevy had a painted steel dashboard with two
little hand prints worn down to the primer because I liked to stand up
and lean on it to see where we were going."
MID: <j2kuc1...@mid.individual.net>

Frank

Dec 5, 2022, 7:32:49 AM12/5/22
A few years ago a guy teaching a class at a community college told me
that young folks were trading in their cars to get the latest in the
electronics.

rbowman

Dec 5, 2022, 11:09:59 AM12/5/22
On Sun, 4 Dec 2022 18:54:40 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> The 174 pages covers the infotainment and navigation, voice commands and
> on and on. The most complex part of that old Chevy was how to set the
> buttons for radio stations you want.

You mean pull the button out, tune the channel, and push the button in?
You could get a great selection of stations (5 or 6?), all AM. Or you
could tell how the ignition system was doing if you had Packard 440 plug
wires.

rbowman

Dec 5, 2022, 11:13:57 AM12/5/22
On Mon, 5 Dec 2022 07:32:40 -0500, Frank wrote:

> A few years ago a guy teaching a class at a community college told me
> that young folks were trading in their cars to get the latest in the
> electronics.

I believe it. I read a review of the new Toyota 86 last week. They punched
the engine out a little rather than going to a turbo but the entertainment
system!

Ed Pawlowski

Dec 5, 2022, 11:20:38 AM12/5/22
I had a car with an aftermarket AM/FM radio. Two buttons for AM, three
for FM. Very sophisticated technology.
I know those plug wires too

Peeler

Dec 5, 2022, 1:35:33 PM12/5/22
On 5 Dec 2022 16:09:51 GMT, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> You mean pull the button out, tune the channel, and push the button in?
> You could get a great selection of stations (5 or 6?), all AM. Or you
> could tell how the ignition system was doing if you had Packard 440 plug
> wires.

I mean is there a plug for your mouth that will shut it up? Is there?

Clare Snyder

Dec 5, 2022, 4:54:26 PM12/5/22
586 down and 22 up at the moment - unlimited