tree stumps in the way

micky

Oct 10, 2021, 5:24:31 PM10/10/21
I had an evergreen tree that got injured by snow, got old, died, and all
but 18" broke off or fell over. I want to remove it and plant a rose
bush there, but the roots will be in the way!

I have another pine tree that might be dead. I'd like to plant another
tree in the same spot. Even if I pay the tree-trimmer to grind the
stump, that's only down to ground level, is that right?

I wont' be able to put a tree there, or a rose bush in the other place,
afaict. What to do?

I used to see some powder or something that was to be put in tree stumps
and it made them rot away. Does that work?

Ralph Mowery

Oct 10, 2021, 5:36:56 PM10/10/21
In article <j6m6mg5gd5g15rl2r...@4ax.com>, NONONOmisc07
@fmguy.com says...

> I have another pine tree that might be dead. I'd like to plant another
> tree in the same spot. Even if I pay the tree-trimmer to grind the
> stump, that's only down to ground level, is that right?
>
> I wont' be able to put a tree there, or a rose bush in the other place,
> afaict. What to do

The tree men usually cut the stump almost level with the ground, Maybe
a few inches above so their chain saw will not hit the dirt and ruin the
chains.

A good stump grinder will grind down a good bit below the ground level.
You may have to get of the grindings or have someone else do it. The 2
different grinders I have hired made me get rid of the grindings and
fill in the holes if I wanted any of that done. From 2 pine trees that
were over 2 feet in diameter and had some roots going out near the top
of the ground I had a pile of grinding about 4 feet high and 6 feet in
diameter if not larger. Used a dump truck of soil to fill in the
holes.

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Oct 10, 2021, 5:39:36 PM10/10/21
On Sun, 10 Oct 2021 17:24:30 -0400, micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com>
wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM0zlyiQPsY

The Dipperfox Stump Crusher drills through stumps and roots to 91 cm
deep into the ground.

John T.

Dean Hoffman

Oct 10, 2021, 5:52:36 PM10/10/21
This guy uses Epson Salt.
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO-XClLxx4s>
We could drill some holes in stumps on the farm. We'd pour kerosene or diesel fuel in the
holes. Fire works.
Can't the new plant send its roots around whatever might be left?

Frank

Oct 10, 2021, 6:43:47 PM10/10/21
I've been messing around with a stump like that and at one point even
added epsom salt. Zilch. Had some other pine stumps on an out of the
way slope and termites were demolishing them. In fact they were hitting
the roots as close as one foot to my house. I decided to have the
perimeter of the house treated and it even killed off the termites in
stumps as much as 20 ft away.

rbowman

Oct 10, 2021, 8:43:19 PM10/10/21
FLE. It will get rid of those unsightly stumps in a flash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvdQBACVwHQ

In '89 the Forest Service was building a mountain bike trail. We could
do most of it with conventional tools but one stretch was pretty gnarly.
The smoke jumpers were having a slow season and volunteered to help.
Mostly they wanted to blow shit up. About 1000' of FLE and instant bike
trail.

We were also building a nature trail and one of the stops described pond
succession. The pond was well down the path of turning into dry ground
but a suitable application of high explosives set it back about 50
years. I was out there last weekend and it's made it up to cattails
slowly filling in the open water after 30 years.

rbowman

Oct 10, 2021, 9:03:28 PM10/10/21
We used saltpeter (potassium nitrate) Same deal, drill some holes with
a brace and bit, fill them with saltpeter, add water. It took a while
but the nitrates sped up the rotting process.

That was then. I don't know if you can buy saltpeter without triggering
a bunch of three letter agencies today. I used to walk up the street
and buy saltpeter and flowers of sulfur at the drug store. The
pharmacist probably knew what I was up to but kids had a lot more leeway.

Dean Hoffman

Oct 10, 2021, 9:10:58 PM10/10/21
Walmart has potassium nitrate for $15.50/lb.

rbowman

Oct 10, 2021, 11:56:27 PM10/10/21
Looking at the various Amazon selections, $5/lb is more like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Potassium-Nitrate-Technical-Grade-Granulated/dp/B08Z8K1HNT/

That one is free shipping.

Peeler

Oct 11, 2021, 3:53:16 AM10/11/21
On Sun, 10 Oct 2021 19:03:22 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> That was then. I don't know if you can buy saltpeter without triggering
> a bunch of three letter agencies today.

Fuck! Can't you talk like a normal human being, you verbose little senile
asshole?

Peeler

Oct 11, 2021, 3:57:14 AM10/11/21
On Sun, 10 Oct 2021 21:56:22 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

>> Walmart has potassium nitrate for $15.50/lb.
>>

> Looking at the various Amazon selections, $5/lb is more like it.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Potassium-Nitrate-Technical-Grade-Granulated/dp/B08Z8K1HNT/
>
> That one is free shipping.

I wonder whether it could be used on YOU to eradicate you (together with
your gob) from Usenet, senile gossip. <BG>

Peeler

Oct 11, 2021, 4:05:27 AM10/11/21
On Sun, 10 Oct 2021 18:43:13 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> FLE. It will get rid of those unsightly stumps in a flash.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvdQBACVwHQ
>
> In '89 the Forest Service was building a mountain bike trail. We could
> do most of it with conventional tools but one stretch was pretty gnarly.
> The smoke jumpers were having a slow season and volunteered to help.
> Mostly they wanted to blow shit up. About 1000' of FLE and instant bike
> trail.
>
> We were also building a nature trail and one of the stops described pond
> succession. The pond was well down the path of turning into dry ground
> but a suitable application of high explosives set it back about 50
> years. I was out there last weekend and it's made it up to cattails
> slowly filling in the open water after 30 years.

Curiouser and curiouser! You endlessly driveling drama queen are able to
come up with a thrilling story to every single topic that makes it here. Is
there something wrong with your head? <BG>

trader_4

Oct 13, 2021, 11:34:50 AM10/13/21
+1

IDK how deep they will stump grind, never asked. But regardless, he needs
a tree service kind of operator. I would start calling and ask. Depends on the
size of the new tree too. If it's four feet tall, just stump grinding probably could
work. If it's more, then maybe they bring in a backhoe. A lot of the cost for a
small job like this is just getting there and whether it's a grinder or BH may not
matter much. I'd tell them it's low priority if he can wait a bit, that they could do
it when they happen to be in the area on another job, etc. Or if he sees a BH
working nearby, ask them.

trader_4

Oct 13, 2021, 11:37:47 AM10/13/21
Excellent. Now he needs sulfur and charcoal and problem solved.
Or he could just buy black powder. :) Seriously, I know various chemicals
are supposed to work, but first, AFAIK, they are for basically trying to do
what a stump grinder will do, eg get rid of the visible stump. I doubt
they will take care of the roots that are in the way of planting a new tree.
And I bet they take quite a while to do anything.

Scott Lurndal

Oct 13, 2021, 12:31:40 PM10/13/21
trader_4 <tra...@optonline.net> writes:
>On Sunday, October 10, 2021 at 5:36:56 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
>> In article <j6m6mg5gd5g15rl2r...@4ax.com>, NONONOmisc07
>> @fmguy.com says...
>> >
>> > I have another pine tree that might be dead. I'd like to plant another
>> > tree in the same spot. Even if I pay the tree-trimmer to grind the
>> > stump, that's only down to ground level, is that right?
>> >
>> > I wont' be able to put a tree there, or a rose bush in the other place,
>> > afaict. What to do
>> >
>> The tree men usually cut the stump almost level with the ground, Maybe
>> a few inches above so their chain saw will not hit the dirt and ruin the
>> chains.
>>

>> A good stump grinder will grind down a good bit below the ground level.
>> You may have to get of the grindings or have someone else do it. The 2
>> different grinders I have hired made me get rid of the grindings and
>> fill in the holes if I wanted any of that done. From 2 pine trees that
>> were over 2 feet in diameter and had some roots going out near the top
>> of the ground I had a pile of grinding about 4 feet high and 6 feet in
>> diameter if not larger. Used a dump truck of soil to fill in the
>> holes.
>
>+1
>
>IDK how deep they will stump grind, never asked.

If the service cuts the stump to ground level, you can just leave
the grindings in place. They'll turn into very nice soil in a year
or two.

Ralph Mowery

Oct 13, 2021, 1:41:47 PM10/13/21
In article <0ff2a135-b057-424a...@googlegroups.com>,
tra...@optonline.net says...

> Excellent. Now he needs sulfur and charcoal and problem solved.
> Or he could just buy black powder. :) Seriously, I know various chemicals
> are supposed to work, but first, AFAIK, they are for basically trying to do
> what a stump grinder will do, eg get rid of the visible stump. I doubt
> they will take care of the roots that are in the way of planting a new tree.
> And I bet they take quite a while to do anything.

The man that cut down a crape myrtle tree for me told me to drill a few
holes in the stump and fill it with some Roundup or equal. Then let it
stand for a while before calling the stump grinder. So I did that. The
stump had the power wire from the power pole at the road running under
that tree from the markings the utility people made . I told the stump
grinder to just take that one to ground level as the power wire may be
under it.

Most of the crape myrtle was already down as it was smashed when the big
pine tree fell on it.

rand...@aol.com

Oct 18, 2021, 10:08:09 AM10/18/21
I would worry that the stuff to dissolve the stump will hurt or kill
and new plants there. It might be a no-mans-land for a year or two.

Stump grinder 6-12" deep,remove grinding debris, add good soil. Plant
new tree or bush, roots can crack steel reinforced concrete, I think
they will grow around or through old roots.

Randy
( not an expert)