new outlet box install in finished wall?

jeffrey green

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

How do I hammer a new outlet box to a stud if the wall is already finished?
(installing new outlets to a shop)
I am tempted to rip of a section of wall, and then redrywall it.
I need to place two outlets and a new switchbox into this section.

Thanks,
jeff g.
jewg...@copper.ucs.indiana.edu

Gary Weimer

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

In article <jewgreen-200...@usenet.ucs.indiana.edu>, jewg...@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey green) writes:

|> How do I hammer a new outlet box to a stud if the wall is already finished?
|> (installing new outlets to a shop)
|> I am tempted to rip of a section of wall, and then redrywall it.
|> I need to place two outlets and a new switchbox into this section.

You can purchase special clips to hang the box on the drywall. You cut a
hole just big enough for the box, then put these clips behind the
drywall. While holding them in place, put the box in and the clips hook
over the front of the box. The ears on the box keep it from falling into
the hole; the clips keep it from falling out. You still need to run the
wire through the wall to the box, though. I imagine this can be be a
frustrating process, needing extra clips to replace the ones you loose
inside the wall...

--
Gary Weimer
wei...@kodak.com

Jeff Drummond

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

In article <jewgreen-200...@usenet.ucs.indiana.edu>, jewg...@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey green) writes:

|> How do I hammer a new outlet box to a stud if the wall is already finished?
|> (installing new outlets to a shop)
|> I am tempted to rip of a section of wall, and then redrywall it.
|> I need to place two outlets and a new switchbox into this section.

There are special boxes and/or box hangers for installation in existing
walls. There are some different models, but basically they work by
clamping the box to the drywall. That means you don't have to rip off
the drywall to install boxes. The only potential drawback is that
drywall isn't as strong an anchor as a 2x4.

-Jeff j...@cray.com
--
"PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER; itty-bitty living space." --Robin Williams in
_Aladdin_, on the pros and cons of being a Genie.

MrMadhatr

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

>How do I hammer a new outlet box to a stud if the wall is already finished?
>(installing new outlets to a shop)
>I am tempted to rip of a section of wall, and then redrywall it.
>I need to place two outlets and a new switchbox into this section.

I'm new to this myself but Home Depot has boxes specifically for finished
walls. Instead of being secured to the stud they simply grip onto the drywall
itself. I'm not sure what they're called but they basically surface mount.
Make the hole, but the box in, tighten two screws which clamp the drywall.
Pretty simple.

Kevin F. La Barre

Computers, Cars, and Music.. why do I get all the expensive hobbies?

ROGER DE VRIES

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

Well I'm no 'lectrishun, as I would not look good with an AFRO (IMO),
but I've heard the "masters" refer to these boxes as "OLD WORK boxes"
(as opposed to "NEW WORK boxes", for new construction)
Roger D

CodeEl...@worldnet.att.net

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98
to jewg...@copper.ucs.indiana.edu

jewg...@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey green) wrote:

> How do I hammer a new outlet box to a stud if the wall is already finished?
> (installing new outlets to a shop)
> I am tempted to rip of a section of wall, and then redrywall it.
> I need to place two outlets and a new switchbox into this section.

Jeff:

The other responses to your question are correct... they call them
'old-work boxes,' and come in different flavors.

Metal ones (sometimes called 519 boxes, or Gem boxes) work by using the
'ears' of the box to keep the box from falling INTO the wall, and
pre-made pieces of sheet metal called "F-straps" to keep the box from
falling OUT. Hint: when using metal cut-ins, bring the wires into the
BACK of the box!!! Trying to come in the top and bottom will prevent the
box from being pushing into the wall.

Plastic ones, at least the ones I use (Carlon), also have 'ears' on the
box, but use another set of movable ears on the back that swing out when
you turn the screw they're attached to. They're a little more expensive,
but well worth it considering you can't lose the F-straps, and they're
easier to tighten up on the wall.

I'm sure there are other manufacturer's variations on these themes, but
they all will probably work pretty much the same... wedging the drywall
between two parts of the box.

If you're concerned about the sturdiness of the boxes hanging by
nothing but sheetrock, try placing the box next to a stud. This way, you
can run a short screw into the stud for extra strength.

Remember, "The stingiest person spends the most!"

Good luck !!!

Ken D.

CBress1

Jan 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/21/98

>>How do I hammer a new outlet box to a stud if the wall is already finished?
>>(installing new outlets to a shop)
>>I am tempted to rip of a section of wall, and then redrywall it.
>>I need to place two outlets and a new switchbox into this section

Go to Home Depot and equivalent and tell them you need a box (or boxes ) for
"old work" . They will fix you up with no problem.

Charlie

It is not what you don't know that hurts you.
It is the things you are sure of that are wrong that get you every time.

danh...@millcomm.com

Jan 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/21/98

In <jewgreen-200...@usenet.ucs.indiana.edu>, jewg...@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey green) writes:

>How do I hammer a new outlet box to a stud if the wall is already finished?
>(installing new outlets to a shop)
>I am tempted to rip of a section of wall, and then redrywall it.
>I need to place two outlets and a new switchbox into this section.

You don't hammer in the new box. Instead you get the sort of box that
clamps itself to the drywall. (A "rework" box.)

Dan Hicks
Hey!! My advice is free -- take it for what it's worth!
http://www.millcomm.com/~danhicks

Tom Landis

Jan 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/21/98

Hi Jeffrey.......if you check around the shelves in the hardware store where
you purchase your electrical supplies, you'll find an outlet box with
"spring-loaded, metal ears" which allow you to place them into the correct
size hole you've cut in the drywall. These outlet boxes are available
specifically for remodel work. If they're not available at your local
hardware store, call your nearest electrical supply distributor.

Best Regards..........

Tom Landis
Owner Builder Services
http://www.ownerbuilder.com/
"......advocating for consumers in the design/build process."

jeffrey green wrote in message ...

>How do I hammer a new outlet box to a stud if the wall is already finished?
>(installing new outlets to a shop)
>I am tempted to rip of a section of wall, and then redrywall it.
>I need to place two outlets and a new switchbox into this section.
>

>Thanks,
>jeff g.
>jewg...@copper.ucs.indiana.edu

RBowles96

Jan 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/21/98

Believe they're called "old work" as opposed to "new work" which I presume
indicates exposed studs. Real handy boxes although pulling the wire isn't real
handy.

In article <6a2qo8$dn2$1...@thetimes.pixel.kodak.com>, wei...@kodak.com (Gary
Weimer) writes:

>|> How do I hammer a new outlet box to a stud if the wall is already
>finished?
|> (installing new outlets to a shop)
|> I am tempted to rip of a
>section of wall, and then redrywall it.
|> I need to place two outlets and a
>new switchbox into this section.

You can purchase special clips to hang the

Phil Munro

Jan 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/21/98

jeffrey green wrote:

> How do I hammer a new outlet box to a stud if the wall is already finished?
> (installing new outlets to a shop)
> I am tempted to rip of a section of wall, and then redrywall it.
> I need to place two outlets and a new switchbox into this section.
Here is one more approach to installing a switch/receptacle old-work
box. By the way, the depth of these boxes is variable; get a deep
enough one, the deeper the better.
I like to use two six-inch or so pieces of old wood lathe
or strip of 1/4 inch plywood, etc., and glue them to
the wall on the inside of the hole. Then they can be appropriately
predrilled for the screws of the old-work box (one with not extra wings)
and the box can be screwed in place with #6 sheet metal screws. The
holes around the box can be patched as needed after the box and its
wires are firmly in place.
For a plaster wall with lathe, just place the box so that it can be
screwed into the lathe with the #6 sheet metal screws. Then repair the
plaster as needed. --Phil
--
Phil Munro Dept of Electrical Engineering
mailto:pcm...@cc.ysu.edu Youngstown State University

Jim Thompson

Jan 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/21/98

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998 11:52:10 -0500, Phil Munro <pcm...@cc.ysu.edu>
wrote:

|jeffrey green wrote:
|>
|> How do I hammer a new outlet box to a stud if the wall is already finished?
|> (installing new outlets to a shop)
|> I am tempted to rip of a section of wall, and then redrywall it.
|> I need to place two outlets and a new switchbox into this section.

Home Depot / Home Base have what are called "remodel" boxes. You just
cut your hole, turn two screws to extend and tighten wings and you're
in great shape.

...Jim Thompson

| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice: (602)460-2350 | Brass Rat |
| ana...@primenet.com Fax: (602)460-2142 | 1962 |

HEY, LOOK! IT'S NOT MY FAULT; IT'S SOME GUY NAMED "GENERAL PROTECTION".
(Ratbert, the Consultant, speaks, in Dilbert, by Scott Adams)

For proper E-mail replys remove "numeric" from E-mail address.

George Barbarow

Jan 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/22/98
to jeffrey green

jeffrey green wrote:

> How do I hammer a new outlet box to a stud if the wall is already finished?
> (installing new outlets to a shop)
> I am tempted to rip of a section of wall, and then redrywall it.
> I need to place two outlets and a new switchbox into this section.
>

> Thanks,
> jeff g.
> jewg...@copper.ucs.indiana.edu

Hi Jeff:

Stop at the DIY or electrical supply and pick up three new plastic boxes that
have the fasteners attached there are several types. Some are attached to the
sides and expand behind the drywall the newer one have tabs that rotate to hold
the box securely in the wall.

George in NW NJ

danh...@millcomm.com

Jan 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/22/98

In <19980121151...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, rbow...@aol.com (RBowles96) writes:
>Believe they're called "old work" as opposed to "new work" which I presume
>indicates exposed studs. Real handy boxes although pulling the wire isn't real
>handy.

Of course, one thing you have to be sure to do is to pull the wire into
the box before you set the box into the wall.

Jim Jacobs

Jan 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/22/98

I have done this several times. What I have done is to cut a hole in the
drywall right next to a stud. I pre-drilled a couple of holes in the
outlet box and once the box was in place, I drove a couple of long drywall
screws through the box and into the studs. Just be careful when you put
the box in so that it doesn't fall down inside the wall. It may not be the
correct way, but it does work.... I have found the hard part is to get the
wiring into the box. This can either be very difficult or easy depending
on where the source of the feed wire is coming from.

Jim

George Barbarow <barb...@ptd.net> wrote in article
<34C6BAD8...@ptd.net>...