OT. Covid Tests, False Positives, Ellume

Dean Hoffman

Oct 7, 2021, 8:58:55 PM10/7/21
The Ellume Company out of Australia is recalling their home testing
kits. There's a link in the article for people to check if their test is in the
recall.
<https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/10/05/ellume-home-covid-test-recall-false-positives-blamed-for-recall/6007945001/>

Frank

Oct 8, 2021, 7:26:08 AM10/8/21
My wife even though vaccinated had to have a covid test to get knee
replacement surgery. The hospital would only accept their own test as a
lot of these quicker tests are less accurate. Recall two on The View
had false positives.

trader_4

Oct 8, 2021, 9:01:51 AM10/8/21
A friend went for a test at a urgent care office recently. They did an instant test,
that was negative and they also sent out a test, PCR I think. He's unvaccinated,
working in a business with a dozen employees, customers, etc and lucky so far.
He's on the Republican natural immunity is better and if you get the vaccine it will
interfere with that bandwagon. By interfere I mean that he thinks that if he gets
Covid without the vaccine, his immunity will be better going forward than if he
gets the vaccine and then has a breakthrough case. I've seen nothing that
indicates that's true. But even if it is, the part he skips over is that to get the
natural immunity you have to get Covid, go through whatever course that takes
and live. And even then you can wind up with long Covid, long term or permanent
damage, etc. But he thinks he's in great shape and if he gets it, he'll get through
it just fine. His wife is on the full Qanon kind of anti-vax bandwagon.

micky

Oct 8, 2021, 12:09:46 PM10/8/21
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 8 Oct 2021 06:01:46 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
Is this the same friends you've mentioned before. Just curious.

But my reason for posting is "natural immunity". I haven't asked anyone
but I suspect it's a misleading phrase.

I think many people think most people or everyone has it, because it's
natural. Like a natural aversion to snakes. Or things that not
everyone has but you still don't have to do anything to have it. Like
someone who's natural athlete. (There are probably better examples.)

They mix up natural with innate, and don't realize you have to get sick
with corona to have immunity to it later.

trader_4

Oct 8, 2021, 12:57:26 PM10/8/21
Yes. One other friend has major Covid high risk factors, morbid obesity,
diabetes and won't get vaccinated.

> But my reason for posting is "natural immunity". I haven't asked anyone
> but I suspect it's a misleading phrase.
>
> I think many people think most people or everyone has it, because it's
> natural. Like a natural aversion to snakes. Or things that not
> everyone has but you still don't have to do anything to have it. Like
> someone who's natural athlete. (There are probably better examples.)
>
> They mix up natural with innate, and don't realize you have to get sick
> with corona to have immunity to it later.

That could be true. For sure a lot of the anti-vaxers believe that they have
great immune systems, that's giving them protection and if they get Covid
it won't be a severe case. I think that's just wrong, genetics plays a large
roll here and while fit people in good health generally have better outcomes,
there are plenty of stories we see about people who had that attitude, were
in good health and wound up in the hospital or dead anyway.

micky

Oct 11, 2021, 11:26:33 AM10/11/21
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 8 Oct 2021 09:57:22 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
Yeah, but afaik that's about recovery once you're infected, but not
resistance to infection.

>there are plenty of stories we see about people who had that attitude, were
>in good health and wound up in the hospital or dead anyway.

In the middle of watching an episode of Wagon Train, made some time
between '57 and '65, and the girl says many people have told her she's
"natural born pie-maker".

Jim Joyce

Oct 13, 2021, 1:08:55 AM10/13/21
On Fri, 8 Oct 2021 06:01:46 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 <tra...@optonline.net>
wrote:

>A friend went for a test at a urgent care office recently. They did an instant test,
>that was negative and they also sent out a test, PCR I think. He's unvaccinated,
>working in a business with a dozen employees, customers, etc and lucky so far.
>He's on the Republican natural immunity is better and if you get the vaccine it will
>interfere with that bandwagon. By interfere I mean that he thinks that if he gets
>Covid without the vaccine, his immunity will be better going forward than if he
>gets the vaccine and then has a breakthrough case. I've seen nothing that
>indicates that's true. But even if it is, the part he skips over is that to get the
>natural immunity you have to get Covid, go through whatever course that takes
>and live. And even then you can wind up with long Covid, long term or permanent
>damage, etc. But he thinks he's in great shape and if he gets it, he'll get through
>it just fine. His wife is on the full Qanon kind of anti-vax bandwagon.

I don't suppose it would help to tell them that they could be featured on
this web site, dedicated to antivaxxers and antimaskers who (mostly) rolled
the dice and lost. A few are still intubated or in an induced coma.

https://www.sorryantivaxxer.com/

trader_4

Oct 13, 2021, 10:28:00 AM10/13/21
Probably not. There is also this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HermanCainAward/

Another one of my friends who is still not vaccinated may be having some change
of thought. He told me the other day that the drug store had no lines, get vaccinated
on the spot. I said it's been like that for many months now. He also asked which
vaccine they had and he says he's figured out that if he decides to get vaccinated,
it will be Moderna. This guy has multiple high risk factors, age, obesity, diabetes, etc.
I didn't push him or say much of anything, as I've said it all before. It's also odd that
he's thinking more about it now, when the Covid rate has dropped by half since
mid-summer and is still rapidly declining.

Jim Joyce

Oct 13, 2021, 12:42:17 PM10/13/21
On Wed, 13 Oct 2021 07:27:56 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 <tra...@optonline.net>
wrote:

>On Wednesday, October 13, 2021 at 1:08:55 AM UTC-4, Jim Joyce wrote:
>> On Fri, 8 Oct 2021 06:01:46 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 <tra...@optonline.net>
>> wrote:
>> >A friend went for a test at a urgent care office recently. They did an instant test,
>> >that was negative and they also sent out a test, PCR I think. He's unvaccinated,
>> >working in a business with a dozen employees, customers, etc and lucky so far.
>> >He's on the Republican natural immunity is better and if you get the vaccine it will
>> >interfere with that bandwagon. By interfere I mean that he thinks that if he gets
>> >Covid without the vaccine, his immunity will be better going forward than if he
>> >gets the vaccine and then has a breakthrough case. I've seen nothing that
>> >indicates that's true. But even if it is, the part he skips over is that to get the
>> >natural immunity you have to get Covid, go through whatever course that takes
>> >and live. And even then you can wind up with long Covid, long term or permanent
>> >damage, etc. But he thinks he's in great shape and if he gets it, he'll get through
>> >it just fine. His wife is on the full Qanon kind of anti-vax bandwagon.
>> I don't suppose it would help to tell them that they could be featured on
>> this web site, dedicated to antivaxxers and antimaskers who (mostly) rolled
>> the dice and lost. A few are still intubated or in an induced coma.
>>
>> https://www.sorryantivaxxer.com/
>
>Probably not. There is also this:
>
>https://www.reddit.com/r/HermanCainAward/

OMG, sites like that are depressing. We're surrounded by idiots.

>Another one of my friends who is still not vaccinated may be having some change
>of thought. He told me the other day that the drug store had no lines, get vaccinated
>on the spot. I said it's been like that for many months now. He also asked which
>vaccine they had and he says he's figured out that if he decides to get vaccinated,
>it will be Moderna. This guy has multiple high risk factors, age, obesity, diabetes, etc.
>I didn't push him or say much of anything, as I've said it all before. It's also odd that
>he's thinking more about it now, when the Covid rate has dropped by half since
>mid-summer and is still rapidly declining.

Better late than never, I suppose.