Orangeburg pipe repair

Larry Martell

Jul 19, 2005, 3:45:28 PM7/19/05
Hi-

I have Orangeburg pipe (i.e. asphalt coated cardboard) going
from my house to my septic system and there is a small hole
(~1.5" diameter) in the top of the pipe through which stinky
sewer gases are escaping. I've called a few plumbers about
coming to repair this and none of them seem to want to do the
job. More then one plumber told me I can easily fix it myself
by getting an orangeburg repair kit. They have said this is a
like a collar that comes in 2 pieces that clamps around the pipe.
You dig it out, fit the collar around and tighten it. They said
it's available at any plumbing supply store.

Well, I've been to 4 plumbing supply stores and they have no idea
what I'm talking about. I've searched on the net, and I have not
found anything like this.

So does anyone know if such a repair kit exists and if so where
I could get one. If not, is there an alternate method I could use
to repair the hole in this pipe?

Thanks!
-larry

Charles Spitzer

Jul 19, 2005, 4:20:18 PM7/19/05

"Larry Martell" <natk...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

i'd be tempted to use an old car inner tube and a couple of large hose
clamps.

G Henslee

Jul 19, 2005, 4:33:19 PM7/19/05
Larry Martell wrote:
> Hi-
>
> I have Orangeburg pipe (i.e. asphalt coated cardboard) going
> from my house to my septic system and there is a small hole
> (~1.5" diameter) in the top of the pipe through which stinky
> sewer gases are escaping.
>
> So does anyone know if such a repair kit exists and if so where
> I could get one. If not, is there an alternate method I could use
> to repair the hole in this pipe?
>
> Thanks!
> -larry

The best repair for orangeburg pipe is total replacment of the entire
line. Until such time you could wrap tar paper around it, followed by
cement.

Edwin Pawlowski

Jul 19, 2005, 4:36:32 PM7/19/05

"Charles Spitzer" <charlie...@nospam.stratus.com> wrote in message

> i'd be tempted to use an old car inner tube and a couple of large hose
> clamps.

Along those lines, you can buy a heavy rubber kit with a couple of large
hose clamps to go around it. It should last 10 or 20 years on a sewer line.
Ed

PipeDown

Jul 19, 2005, 6:13:55 PM7/19/05

"Larry Martell" <natk...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
"asphalt coated cardboard" Never heard of it but it seems reasonable you
could fix it using the same materials or better yet a square of tar paper
and some waterproof roofing adhesive.

This might work if the pipe is not pressurized (and it is not since water is
not gushing out of the hole). But be aware the pipe may become pressurized
if it fills with water after haevy rains or heavy use. At this time, your
repair may come off in a spectacular S--t Fountain which we will want to
hear about.

If it is pressurized, you need to find a more secure fix. I have seen
similar repair kits but for metal pipes and they are often called "saddle
clamps". What is the diameter of the Orangeberg pipe. Does it seem rigid
enough to clamp without crushing.

Tell the guy at the hardware store you want to repair a hole in a pipe of
whatever diameter and leave out the orangeberg.

If worse comes to worse you will need to cut out the damaged section and use
a "No Hub" connector to join the two sections. This is just a rubber
cylinder with clamps on each end of the correct diameter. If the cut is
long, use ABS pipe to span the break and no hub connectors to join the
dissimilar materials.

Larry Martell

Jul 20, 2005, 9:19:01 AM7/20/05

PipeDown wrote:
> "Larry Martell" <natk...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi-
> >
> > I have Orangeburg pipe (i.e. asphalt coated cardboard) going
> > from my house to my septic system and there is a small hole
> > (~1.5" diameter) in the top of the pipe through which stinky
> > sewer gases are escaping. I've called a few plumbers about
> > coming to repair this and none of them seem to want to do the
> > job. More then one plumber told me I can easily fix it myself
> > by getting an orangeburg repair kit. They have said this is a
> > like a collar that comes in 2 pieces that clamps around the pipe.
> > You dig it out, fit the collar around and tighten it. They said
> > it's available at any plumbing supply store.
> >
> > Well, I've been to 4 plumbing supply stores and they have no idea
> > what I'm talking about. I've searched on the net, and I have not
> > found anything like this.
> >
> > So does anyone know if such a repair kit exists and if so where
> > I could get one. If not, is there an alternate method I could use
> > to repair the hole in this pipe?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > -larry
> >
> "asphalt coated cardboard" Never heard of it

Here's a good link with more then you ever wanted to know about
Orangeburg
pipe:

http://www.sewerhistory.org/grfx/components/pipe-orng1.htm

-larry

Larry Martell

Jul 20, 2005, 9:17:41 AM7/20/05

Thanks to all who replied and offered solutions. I think initially I
will
try this and see if it holds. Now I just need to find a heavy rubber
kit
somewhere ...

-larry

SQLit

Jul 20, 2005, 10:18:05 AM7/20/05

"Larry Martell" <natk...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I had two houses with that stuff. Tried patching the first time. Worked for
a few months then it failed again. Patched again. Failed again. Then I got a
plumber and a backhoe. I screamed at the cost but no more problems. I
mentioned it when I sold the home and the buyers became more interested in
the property.

Orangeburg has not been installed here abouts since the mid 1960's

CR

Jul 21, 2005, 1:50:32 PM7/21/05

"Larry Martell" <natk...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Fernco makes a rubber coupler fitting that fits on orangeburg pipe on one
end and abs on the other. You can cut a section of the orangeburg out with
a sawsall and use a piece of abs in the middle.
You slide the couplers on to the abs and set it in where you cut out the
piece of orangeburg and then slide the couplers onto the orangeburg and
tighten the bands on the couplers.

CR

Tekkie®

Jul 23, 2005, 8:38:52 PM7/23/05
Larry Martell posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

www.fernco.com

--

Tekkie

Larry Martell

Jul 24, 2005, 2:53:21 PM7/24/05

I found a heavy piece of rubber, and I cemented it in place with
roofing cement,
then used 4 hose clamps. It looks like it's holding.

-larry

Edwin Pawlowski

Jul 24, 2005, 3:21:08 PM7/24/05

"Larry Martell" <natk...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I found a heavy piece of rubber, and I cemented it in place with
> roofing cement,
> then used 4 hose clamps. It looks like it's holding.
>
> -larry

Good for you. Thanks for getting back with the solution.

Bartline Plumbing

Jan 27, 2017, 12:14:06 PM1/27/17
replying to CR, Bartline Plumbing wrote:
I am a master plumber in Atlanta ga.
Orangeburge pipe is tar paper pipe. It needs to be replaced. It is erroding
from the inside and is collapsing.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/orangeburg-pipe-repair-14613-.htm

Uncle Monster

Jan 27, 2017, 2:43:53 PM1/27/17
On Friday, January 27, 2017 at 11:14:06 AM UTC-6, Bartline Plumbing wrote:
> replying to CR, Bartline Plumbing wrote:
> I am a master plumber in Atlanta ga.
> Orangeburge pipe is tar paper pipe. It needs to be replaced. It is erroding
> from the inside and is collapsing.
> --

You're too late. Tragically, 11 years ago, CR was attacked and eaten by a herd of rabid gerbils. It was a horrible mess. He is survived by a wife, 4 ex-wives, 18 children, a flock of ducks, 8 dogs, 13 cats, 2 zebra, 6 minions, 3 monkeys, 7 squirrels and 357 gerbils. The gerbils really miss him. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Real Monster

joe

Oct 13, 2021, 8:15:06 PM10/13/21
I had a hole in a piece of orangeburg and fixed it with 4" PVC and two Fernco rubber sleeves. I used Fernco item number 1056-44, lubricated the pipes, and slipped it all together.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/orangeburg-pipe-repair-14613-.htm

Debbie Robison

Aug 9, 2023, 3:02:13 PM8/9/23
All my Uncles and Dad were plumbers and I was taught to quick repair with tar paper or roofing tile.