What's behind facebrick?

TimR

Oct 15, 2021, 8:26:03 AM10/15/21
Just curious about this. I've never seen how facebrick is installed.

My wife wanted to hang something on an external brick face on our 1962 house.

I drilled in mortar between bricks, careful not to go more than about 1 1/4 inches, not sure what might be behind the sheathing. Last thing I want to do is hit a wire. I used plastic anchors and #8 screws, there's nothing heavy involved.

One hole was solid at the back, the other had a gap. That surprised me. If I went past brick I should still be in sheathing, right?

gfre...@aol.com

Oct 15, 2021, 11:44:33 AM10/15/21
If this was built 30-40 years ago or more you might be hitting celotex
behind that face brick. There isn't much to that stuff. You can poke a
hole in it with your finger.

TimR

Oct 15, 2021, 2:45:20 PM10/15/21
That makes sense, thanks.