OT. Man Survives Nine Story Dive

Dean Hoffman

Oct 8, 2021, 8:04:35 AM10/8/21
A New Jersey man apparently tried to commit suicide by jumping
from the 9th floor. He landed on a BMW and ended up in a hospital
instead of a morgue.
<https://dailycaller.com/2021/10/07/man-survives-nine-story-plunge-new-jersey-high-rise-bmw/>

Frank

Oct 8, 2021, 8:20:18 AM10/8/21
I just heard on the radio that the owner of the BMW was pissed.

Ed Pawlowski

Oct 8, 2021, 6:11:24 PM10/8/21
Why? Not much different than birds crapping all over it. A little
Simonize and it will look like new.

Dean Hoffman

Oct 8, 2021, 9:08:26 PM10/8/21
Lawyer Jonathan Turley has comments about it. The diver is liable for repairs.
<https://jonathanturley.org/2021/10/08/suicide-torts-recent-bizarre-cases-raise-questions-over-jumper-liability/>
I wonder if that car might be worth some extra money just because it's unusual now. How many people
could brag about their cars possibly saving someone's life?

Bob F

Oct 8, 2021, 11:33:35 PM10/8/21
I want to see that BMW ad.

gfre...@aol.com

Oct 9, 2021, 12:00:39 AM10/9/21
Maybe BMW will buy it for advertising.

gfre...@aol.com

Oct 9, 2021, 12:01:40 AM10/9/21
The ultimate diving machine.

kelown

Oct 11, 2021, 10:26:10 PM10/11/21

> I wonder if that car might be worth some extra money just because it's unusual now. How many people
> could brag about their cars possibly saving someone's life?

Not exactly the first time. Evelyn McHale famously landed on a car roof
after her suicide, though she died.

"On April 30, 1947, McHale took a train from New York to Easton,
Pennsylvania, to visit Rhodes. The next day, after leaving Rhodes'
residence, she returned to New York City and went to the Empire State
Building where she jumped from the 86th-floor observatory, landing on
top of a parked car."

The photo of her seemingly restful body was used as inspiration for
recreations by Andy Warhol, David Bowie and some ads and music videos.

Frank

Oct 12, 2021, 8:49:38 AM10/12/21
On 10/11/2021 10:26 PM, kelown wrote:
> Evelyn McHale

I learn something new every day. Do not think I would want to be renown
for this:

https://allthatsinteresting.com/evelyn-mchale-most-beautiful-suicide

Wonder if these car owners could collect from the jumpers home owner
insurance. I did once when a guy broke my headlight when his golf ball
hit my car. Did it another time when a kid threw a handful of pebbles
at me on my bicycle and broke my glasses.

rbowman

Oct 12, 2021, 10:01:20 AM10/12/21

Marilyn Manson

Oct 12, 2021, 10:55:26 AM10/12/21
Nobody likes a back seat driver. Oh...wait...never mind.

micky

Oct 15, 2021, 4:26:50 PM10/15/21
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 11 Oct 2021 21:26:05 -0500, kelown
<kel...@privacy.invalid> wrote:

>> I wonder if that car might be worth some extra money just because it's unusual now. How many people
>> could brag about their cars possibly saving someone's life?
>
>Not exactly the first time. Evelyn McHale famously landed on a car roof
>after her suicide, though she died.
>
>"On April 30, 1947, McHale took a train from New York to Easton,
>Pennsylvania, to visit Rhodes. The next day, after leaving Rhodes'
>residence, she returned to New York City and went to the Empire State
>Building where she jumped from the 86th-floor observatory, landing on
>top of a parked car."

I've hesitated to post about this, because I don't want to trade on the
death of a friend, or even a friend of a friend.

But I knew a young man who got AIDS from drug use, sharing needles,
living on the street, and this was before there were any helpful drugs,
except maybe for symptoms, but not to stop the progress of the disease,
and he'd had two or three episodes that year, maybe in the hospital -- I
only know what my friend told me and she didn't like talking about it --
and he very reasonably figured he was not going to get better. Plus I
suppose the disease causes pain too. Anyhow, he also jumped off a
building, 6 or 8 stories I imagine, but instead of doing it on the
street side where he might hit a pedestrian, or in your examples, a car,
and there are many of each in NYC, or even the side where the super
often goes, he chose the center of the building. Most medium sized
aparatment buildings in NY and most places have a center court or even a
small airshaft. It's mostly so people have more windows. Some/most/the
two buildings I know, don't even have direct access to the residents.
So no one goes there. They might have bushes or trees growing in them,
so they're nice to look out the window at.

So he jumped on that side where he knew he wouldn't hurt anyone or
anything, except maybe a bush. Even in his distress he worried about
other people. And he died.

Marilyn Manson

Oct 15, 2021, 5:18:32 PM10/15/21
And after that, everyone who used to enjoy looking out at the peaceful
tranquility of the courtyard got to think about the guy who used the
space to kill himself. He did, in fact, hurt some people.

gfre...@aol.com

Oct 15, 2021, 7:33:22 PM10/15/21
My Cleveland cop buddy had the most considerate way to off yourself.
Shoot yourself next to the coroner's loading dock. They will not be
emotionally disturbed by it and the cost to the public is minimal.
If you really want to be considerate, stuff a check in your pocket,
made out to the coroner's office, for $500 or so, to cover the cost of
processing the corpse.