Why unions have failed American workers.

Bob F

Nov 21, 2021, 8:23:39 PM11/21/21

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 21, 2021, 8:56:52 PM11/21/21
On 11/21/2021 8:23 PM, Bob F wrote:

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk8dUXRpoy8

Pendulum is swinging. Unions did a lot of good back in the 1930 but
when I started working in the 1960s they would have just taken my money
and held me back. I've been involved in negotiations.

Times have changed, not always for the better. When you have to piss in
a bottle, something is wrong and unions can do some good.

Wages seem to be rising with good ole supply and demand. Most minimum
wages are terrible but getting better.

gfre...@aol.com

Nov 22, 2021, 1:42:23 AM11/22/21
On Sun, 21 Nov 2021 17:23:31 -0800, Bob F <bobn...@gmail.com> wrote:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk8dUXRpoy8

Interesting.
I will agree Bezos deserves a union but it better be in all the
contiguous states. He can build another warehouse or two for a weeks
worth of rocket money.

More interesting is the one that followed about the electric grid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBpiXcyB7wU

What they need to tell the farmers is "We buy the land, we pay the
taxes and you get to use most of the land for free".

This is a serious problem and as some of us have said, the switch to
electric cars will crush the current grid.

I'm OK with power lines.
The power line behind my house gives me almost an acre to go walk the
dog and watch my gopher tortoises. ;)
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Julian%20Keen%20preserve.JPG

gfre...@aol.com

Nov 22, 2021, 1:52:13 AM11/22/21
I would rather see a union negotiating than to have politicians
legislating.
It is tougher tho with someone like Bezos. He can move his warehouse
operation a lot faster than moving a factory and the unions couldn't
deal with that.
OTOH There is some money in there to be had. Amazon can't claim
poverty. It does appear it would be better to open with a low ball
contract of what you would settle for and work from there. If they can
stall you years before you get any contract at all why not get
something in the box?.
"When you are skinning your customers, you should leave some skin on
to heal, so that you can skin them again".
It is supposed to be negotiating.

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 22, 2021, 9:35:01 AM11/22/21
One place I worked the union was a dues taking Joke but in some
respects, good for the company. If an employee wanted something
special, the reply was "Sorry, I'd like to do more but we have to follow
the union contract"

We did do more though. Competition for workers had us pay about $1 an
hour more than contract because that was the going rate for unskilled
workers at the time.

Negotiations were done over lunch with a rep from union HQ. Once
settled, he would tell the owner how the show would go. They wanted to
have three meetings bringing with him the negotiating committee from the
shop. Quite the show.

gfre...@aol.com

Nov 22, 2021, 1:49:59 PM11/22/21
I grew up in the belly of the union beast. My Mom worked at the
Teamster's international in DC. I was surrounded by senior Teamsters
officials most of my young life. Bobby K had our phone tapped and shit
like that.
I am aware of what unions are.
I agree they did a lot of good getting us out of the gilded age, then
they got greedy. After getting the members decent working conditions
they kept pushing for more until management started moving operations
to get away from them.
I am OK with the pendulum swinging back the other way but done
cautiously because those foreigners are ready to fill the void and cut
US workers out completely.
The American public will always buy the cheapest product. Walmart
proved that.
IBM called the phenomenon "Market Driven Quality". We even got a hat
to replace our "Six Sigma" hats. (About the same time Sony, the
Malcolm Baldridge winner, was losing market share to no name Chinese
companies).
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/mdq.jpg

Ralph Mowery

Nov 22, 2021, 7:03:31 PM11/22/21
In article <ouonpg5sqpsfpqg9m...@4ax.com>,
gfre...@aol.com says...
> The American public will always buy the cheapest product. Walmart
> proved that.
> IBM called the phenomenon "Market Driven Quality". We even got a hat
> to replace our "Six Sigma" hats. (About the same time Sony, the
> Malcolm Baldridge winner, was losing market share to no name Chinese
> companies).
> http://gfretwell.com/electrical/mdq.jpg

Bill Gates proved that . His Microsoft system sold for $ 50 when the
DRI system was $ 150. DRI went under and MS made billions.

The American public is not very bright, but the marketing boys are.

Fellow at work put items up for sale at a local farmers market. His
cantalopes were not selling vrey well at 25 cents each, but he sold out
when he marked through that and put a big 3 for $ 1.00 on the sign.

I guess people though the big slash through the $ .25 ment a reduction
is price.

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 22, 2021, 8:49:29 PM11/22/21
On 11/22/2021 7:03 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
> In article <ouonpg5sqpsfpqg9m...@4ax.com>,
> gfre...@aol.com says...
>> The American public will always buy the cheapest product. Walmart
>> proved that.
>> IBM called the phenomenon "Market Driven Quality". We even got a hat
>> to replace our "Six Sigma" hats. (About the same time Sony, the
>> Malcolm Baldridge winner, was losing market share to no name Chinese
>> companies).
>> http://gfretwell.com/electrical/mdq.jpg
>>

> Bill Gates proved that . His Microsoft system sold for $ 50 when the
> DRI system was $ 150. DRI went under and MS made billions.
>
> The American public is not very bright, but the marketing boys are.
>
> Fellow at work put items up for sale at a local farmers market. His
> cantaloupes were not selling very well at 25 cents each, but he sold out
> when he marked through that and put a big 3 for $ 1.00 on the sign.
>
> I guess people though the big slash through the $ .25 ment a reduction
> is price.

Well yeah, I get three of them Whatta deal!

Two nuns went to the supermarket and the cucumbers were 3 for $1. The
one nun said to the other, "we can always eat one"

Bob F

Nov 22, 2021, 9:04:06 PM11/22/21
Gotta beat the next price increase!

Rod Speed

Nov 22, 2021, 9:57:33 PM11/22/21
Ralph Mowery <rmow...@charter.net> wrote
> gfre...@aol.com wrote

>> The American public will always buy the cheapest product. Walmart
>> proved that.
>> IBM called the phenomenon "Market Driven Quality". We even got a hat
>> to replace our "Six Sigma" hats. (About the same time Sony, the
>> Malcolm Baldridge winner, was losing market share to no name Chinese
>> companies).
>> http://gfretwell.com/electrical/mdq.jpg

> Bill Gates proved that . His Microsoft system sold for $ 50 when
> the DRI system was $ 150. DRI went under and MS made billions.

But the real reason Gates won out is because the IBM PC came with his.

And the DRI system wasn't any better so no point in paying 3 times
as much for it if you bought a clone and wanted to buy the OS.

John Brown

Nov 22, 2021, 10:04:38 PM11/22/21
<gfre...@aol.com> wrote
No they do not, most obviously with Apple phones and Tiffany etc.

> Walmart proved that.

Nope, all that proves is that plenty do buy the cheapest product.

rbowman

Nov 22, 2021, 10:20:38 PM11/22/21
Sister Mary Margaret would beat your knuckles bloody for that...

Ralph Mowery

Nov 22, 2021, 10:27:41 PM11/22/21
In article <j0341u...@mid.individual.net>, kib...@gmail.com says...

> > The American public will always buy the cheapest product.
>
> No they do not, most obviously with Apple phones and Tiffany etc.
>
> > Walmart proved that.
>
> Nope, all that proves is that plenty do buy the cheapest product.

They buy the cheapest common products. For trendy things they will do
all sorts of crazy things. Such as camp out overnight to be one of the
first to get the Apple phone or Play Station or what ever. Get a pair
of shoes with a famous name on them is the same.
Even pay 10 time the price for a cup of coffee at places like Starbucks.

John Brown

Nov 22, 2021, 11:18:00 PM11/22/21
Ralph Mowery <rmow...@charter.net> wrote
> kib...@gmail.com says...
>>
>> > The American public will always buy the cheapest product.
>>
>> No they do not, most obviously with Apple phones and Tiffany etc.
>>
>> > Walmart proved that.
>>
>> Nope, all that proves is that plenty do buy the cheapest product.
>>
> They buy the cheapest common products.

No they don't always with all sorts of stuff like jeans, tshirts, baseball
caps etc.

gfre...@aol.com

Nov 23, 2021, 12:53:19 AM11/23/21
Big banana told the little banana "Too bad, they gonna eat you".
Redd Foxx

Peeler

Nov 23, 2021, 3:40:40 AM11/23/21
On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 13:57:22 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 87-year-old senile Australian
cretin's pathological trolling:
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/rod-speed-faq.2973853/

Peeler

Nov 23, 2021, 3:41:21 AM11/23/21
On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 15:17:48 +1100, John Brown, better known as cantankerous

Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID: <XnsA97071CF43...@85.214.115.223>

Peeler

Nov 23, 2021, 3:43:07 AM11/23/21
On Mon, 22 Nov 2021 20:20:33 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> Sister Mary Margaret would beat your knuckles bloody for that...

I'd prefer her to beat your constantly driveling mouth bloody for that. <BG>

Frank

Nov 23, 2021, 7:48:37 AM11/23/21
On 11/22/2021 7:03 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
Many years ago a high school classmate worked part time at a department
store. He told me that normally a shirt that was $2 would be put on
sale as two for $5.

Had not thought of it until now but that type thinking may have helped
him become a multi millionaire today.

rbowman

Nov 23, 2021, 9:49:00 AM11/23/21
And get a free dose of Hep A with their pumpkin spice latte...

Peeler

Nov 23, 2021, 10:23:16 AM11/23/21
On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 07:48:54 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> And get a free dose of Hep A with their pumpkin spice latte...

You just LOVE to hear yourself talking, don't you, lowbrowwoman?

gfre...@aol.com

Nov 23, 2021, 6:56:18 PM11/23/21
You can see that at the grocery store all the time if you look. The
"economy" size of some things costs more per unit than the regular
size. That is particularly true when there is a sale. You really need
to read the shelf tags with the unit cost.