Re: Solid caps can blow up?

Commander Kinsey

Aug 12, 2022, 5:04:02 PMAug 12
On Fri, 12 Aug 2022 21:42:08 +0100, Joe Gwinn <joeg...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Aug 2022 21:21:17 +0100, "Commander Kinsey"
> <C...@nospam.com> wrote:

>>> You want to have high pressure tanks hydroed periodically--a faulty one
>>> is no joke.
>>
>> Yeah right. And you should have your car serviced regularly too. I've seen pictures of tanks still in use that pass tests, covered in knocks and scrapes and rust damage on the outside, mine is in perfect condition, I'll decide when I don't think it's safe. Guess what, I shave my own face too.
>
> Sure, buddy...
>
> .<https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2011/09/12/fl-exploding-scuba-tank-death.bay-news-9>

Typical bullshit reporting, no information given, how old was the tank, what did it look like? I hardly doubt my one year old tnk will have problems, they're expected to last 30 years.

> .<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJuIwHJTCbY>
>
> Exploding Scuba Tank in L&W Explosion Safety Box (may be a fire
> extinguisher - blew at 318 Bar or a bit higher)
>
> Joe Gwinn

How many people die of cancer, car accidents, kidney disease, etc, etc. You can't go around worrying about everything, just go have fun for goodness sake. I'm continually amazed at the modern world, everyone has turned into big girl's blouses. Grow a pair of cohones and take some risks, it's fun!

And learn how to operate your newsreader you silly child.

rbowman

Aug 12, 2022, 6:21:07 PMAug 12
> How many people die of cancer, car accidents, kidney disease, etc, etc.
> You can't go around worrying about everything, just go have fun for
> goodness sake. I'm continually amazed at the modern world, everyone has
> turned into big girl's blouses. Grow a pair of cohones and take some
> risks, it's fun!

So there you are, driving down to Mickey D's for a burger when some
drugged out psychotic bitch kills you:

https://nypost.com/2022/08/09/la-crash-suspect-nicole-linton-has-previous-accidents-report/

If I buy the farm in a 90mph motorcycle crash just put 'live free or
die' on the roadside marker.

Commander Kinsey

Aug 12, 2022, 6:29:54 PMAug 12
Shit happens, but it's not that likely. People fall for media hype. They see 1000 killed out of 7 billion and think that's a large number.

Peeler

Aug 12, 2022, 6:42:51 PMAug 12
On Fri, 12 Aug 2022 16:20:52 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> So there you are, driving down to Mickey D's for a burger when some
> drugged out psychotic bitch kills you:

So there you are, sucking off the trolling sick asshole again, you
bigmouthed verbose senile Yankietard!

--
Gossiping "lowbrowwoman" about herself:
"Usenet is my blog... I don't give a damn if anyone ever reads my posts

rbowman

Aug 12, 2022, 7:47:33 PMAug 12
My brother-in-law got killed by lightning. Sooner or later you win the
death lottery. That said, I don't hang around on summits when I see a
t-storm moving in and I don't do wheelies in traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo1YcgdZ8A0

Commander Kinsey

Aug 12, 2022, 8:23:29 PMAug 12
I continued digging in my garden in a heavy rainstorm with lightning nearby every 15 seconds. I didn't have a hivis jacket on either!

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo1YcgdZ8A0

Pah, nothing more than a smashed kneecap.

Dean Hoffman

Aug 12, 2022, 8:49:19 PMAug 12
There was a biker buried with his helmet on years ago. He was riding down I-80 during a thunderstorm. Common sense isn't.

Commander Kinsey

Aug 12, 2022, 9:31:01 PMAug 12
Indeed, he'd have been much safer with the helmet off :-)

But seriously, chances are if a million people did that, only a few would die.

rbowman

Aug 12, 2022, 9:50:37 PMAug 12
There was guy killed out in eastern Montana about 15 years ago. It
isn't that rare.

https://www.kvoa.com/news/motorcylist-killed-by-lightning-strike-while-riding-on-major-interstate/article_0a40b7a8-dad5-5fab-a0b4-df443f20cf67.html

It doesn't help that if you're on a bike in eastern Montana you are the
highest thing around. The prairie dogs have a really low profile. I
imagine the best thing would be to park the bike, get well away from it,
and make love to Mother Earth.

When a car gets hit the only fatality is the car.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/peopleandplaces/woman-captures-lightning-striking-her-husbands-truck-in-tampa-bay/vi-AAZei9f

Or maybe the underwear.

rbowman

Aug 12, 2022, 9:55:29 PMAug 12
Sucks if you're one of the few. That is why I always had an uneasy
feeling about statistics particularly when it comes to safe and
effective vaccines. Young athletes dropping dead is a very rare event.
Nothing to see here, folks.

Commander Kinsey

Aug 12, 2022, 10:34:36 PMAug 12
If you had to go back 15 years, it's rare.

> https://www.kvoa.com/news/motorcylist-killed-by-lightning-strike-while-riding-on-major-interstate/article_0a40b7a8-dad5-5fab-a0b4-df443f20cf67.html
>
> It doesn't help that if you're on a bike in eastern Montana you are the
> highest thing around. The prairie dogs have a really low profile. I
> imagine the best thing would be to park the bike, get well away from it,
> and make love to Mother Earth.
>
> When a car gets hit the only fatality is the car.
>
> https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/peopleandplaces/woman-captures-lightning-striking-her-husbands-truck-in-tampa-bay/vi-AAZei9f
>
> Or maybe the underwear.

Shit truck. A VW Golf has been tested to survive a lightning strike.
https://youtu.be/ve6XGKZxYxA

Commander Kinsey

Aug 12, 2022, 10:36:48 PMAug 12
Which is as unlikely as winning the lottery, which is why I never enter.

> That is why I always had an uneasy
> feeling about statistics particularly when it comes to safe and
> effective vaccines. Young athletes dropping dead is a very rare event.
> Nothing to see here, folks.

I haven't taken the covid one, but mainly because it's unnecessary. Most people recover just fine. Me, I never even caught it, despite taking no precautions whatsoever and mingling with many folk. My sister, her husband, and their two kids caught it, after being vaccinated. Shows you how brilliant that idea was....

Snag

Aug 12, 2022, 11:01:58 PMAug 12
Wish me luck , I'm headed to Memfrica in the morning on the bike and
I'll be wearing a helmet ... fortunately there are no thunderstorms
predicted and I haven't taken the clotshot .
--
Snag
“Free speech is my right to say what you don’t

Dean Hoffman

Aug 12, 2022, 11:05:35 PMAug 12
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Commander Kinsey

Aug 12, 2022, 11:17:28 PMAug 12
That may well be true if you have a decent sense of balance. I have difficulty riding a bicycle one handed. No handed makes me fall off in 1 second. I've never tried a motorbike and I'm sure it would end badly.

Peeler

Aug 13, 2022, 3:33:22 AMAug 13
On Fri, 12 Aug 2022 17:47:22 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> My brother-in-law got killed by lightning. Sooner or later you win the
> death lottery.

Oh, fuck! The grandiloquent drivel starts again! <tsk>

--
Yet more of the very interesting senile blather by lowbrowwoman:
"My family loaded me into a '51 Chevy and drove from NY to Seattle and

Peeler

Aug 13, 2022, 3:37:53 AMAug 13
On Fri, 12 Aug 2022 19:55:18 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> Sucks if you're one of the few. That is why I always had an uneasy
> feeling about statistics particularly

Yeah, Trumptard, especially when they showed that your orange clown lost the
election! Innit? Trumptards, just like Stumpie himself, consistently ONLY
accept their very OWN personal "statistics". LOL

--
More of the senile gossip's absolutely idiotic senile blather:
"I stopped for breakfast at a diner in Virginia when the state didn't do

I also lived in Ft. Wayne for a while."

MID: <t0tjfa$6r5$1...@dont-email.me>

Peeler

Aug 13, 2022, 3:39:12 AMAug 13
On Fri, 12 Aug 2022 19:50:25 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> There was guy killed out in eastern Montana about 15 years ago.

No shit! Was there, senile blabbermouth? <BG>

--
More typical idiotic senile gossip by lowbrowwoman:
"It's been years since I've been in a fast food burger joint but I used

Dean Hoffman

Aug 13, 2022, 8:58:38 AMAug 13
That's too bad. I feel like I own the world when I'm riding in the Nebraska Sandhills on a nice day.
<https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/nebraska/remote-sandhills-ne/>
I've had a few motorcycles but I have a trike now. It's easier for old people to maneuver.
There's a world class golf course by Mullen, NE.
<https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-course/sand-hills>
Maybe I'll ride by there someday.

Peeler

Aug 13, 2022, 10:44:19 AMAug 13
On Sat, 13 Aug 2022 05:58:34 -0700 (PDT), Dean Hoffman, another mentally
deficient, troll-feeding, senile ASSHOLE, babbled again:

> That's too bad. I feel like I own the world when I'm riding

Well, what you SHOULD feel is that you are only yet another troll-feeding
senile useless shithead, idiot!

rbowman

Aug 13, 2022, 10:52:40 AMAug 13
Memfrica outweighs the dangers of covid, lightning, earthquakes,
avalanches, and pieces of Chinese rockets falling from the sky. The last
time I was in Tennessee I crossed the river on 412 just to avoid that
shithole and its Arkansas twin.

rbowman

Aug 13, 2022, 10:57:47 AMAug 13
The gyroscopic effect is your friend. 80 mph on a bike and you have to
work at it to do anything other than a straight line.

I had an old ten speed that I could ride one handed but both my current
bicycles are mountain bikes. Their steering geometry is twitchier than a
road bike.

rbowman

Aug 13, 2022, 11:07:15 AMAug 13
On 08/13/2022 06:58 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
> I've had a few motorcycles but I have a trike now. It's easier for old people to maneuver.

When I was in rehab recovering from the broken hip I researched trikes.
They have their drawbacks. Frankenstein Trikes has a Sportster
conversion kit but then you have the Harley ice cream wagon effect of
dumping it on a curve. For about the same money I could put a sidehack
on the Sportster or the VStrom but then you have the flying sidecar problem.

What looked most feasible was the Can-Am Ryker even though it's butt
ugly. I'd have to go to Spokane though. The local Can-Am people only do
quads.

Took some practice to get the range of motion but I'm back on two wheels
for the time being.

Peeler

Aug 13, 2022, 11:43:07 AMAug 13
On Sat, 13 Aug 2022 09:07:04 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> When I was in rehab

Highly interesting again, you grandiloquent bigmouth! And now STFU finally!

Peeler

Aug 13, 2022, 11:44:51 AMAug 13
On Sat, 13 Aug 2022 08:57:36 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> The gyroscopic effect is your friend.

Your effective cocksucking makes YOU his favourite friend on ahr, gossip
girl! <BG>

Peeler

Aug 13, 2022, 11:47:00 AMAug 13
On Sat, 13 Aug 2022 08:52:29 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> Memfrica outweighs the dangers of covid, lightning, earthquakes,
> avalanches,

I suppose you are talking from experience and already went through a bout of
covid, got struck by lightning, and were hit by earthquakes and avalanches,
you abnormal senile bigmouth.

--
Yet more absolutely idiotic senile blather by lowbrowwoman:
"I save my fries quota for one of the local food trucks that offers

Jim Stewart ...

Aug 13, 2022, 3:28:12 PMAug 13

> How many people die of cancer, car accidents, kidney disease, etc, etc.
> You can't go around worrying about everything, just go have fun for
> goodness sake.  I'm continually amazed at the modern world, everyone has
> turned into big girl's blouses.  Grow a pair of cohones and take some
> risks, it's fun!

Have I not been telling people on here to take a chance for years ?> ...

Commander Kinsey

Aug 13, 2022, 4:12:02 PMAug 13
But what about going round corners?

> I had an old ten speed that I could ride one handed but both my current
> bicycles are mountain bikes. Their steering geometry is twitchier than a
> road bike.

I tried my friend's road bike once and couldn't get going at all, since the handlebars aren't wide enough, I can't stand those drop things, they're too narrow, not enough leverage.

Commander Kinsey

Aug 13, 2022, 4:14:00 PMAug 13
That looks amazing. I'd love to go through there at twice the speed limit.

> I've had a few motorcycles but I have a trike now. It's easier for old people to maneuver.

I take it you can also take a lot more luggage to go on a long trip?

> There's a world class golf course by Mullen, NE.
> <https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-course/sand-hills>
> Maybe I'll ride by there someday.

I detest golf, but the courses are nice to look at.

Snag

Aug 13, 2022, 10:43:26 PMAug 13
It was a great ride ! Right at 350 miles , the bike felt a bit
awkward at first - I've been riding the trike while it was down ... Ours
is a Sportster 1200Low converted with a DNA axle/swing arm and raked
trees . I find it takes a good bit of upper body strength in the curves
, is yours that way ?

rbowman

Aug 14, 2022, 1:22:32 AMAug 14
Just do it. Don't think about it.

https://www.tunedtrends.com/what-is-countersteering/

rbowman

Aug 14, 2022, 1:29:00 AMAug 14
Any problems fitting the DNA? It's a lot cheaper than the Frankenstein
which leads me to two trains of thought. 1. Frankenstein is very proud
of their conversion or 2. DNA needs some bits and pieces they didn't
mention.

Peeler

Aug 14, 2022, 4:00:26 AMAug 14
On Sat, 13 Aug 2022 23:28:49 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> Any problems fitting the DNA? It's a lot cheaper than the Frankenstein
> which leads me to two trains of thought. 1. Frankenstein is very proud
> of their conversion or 2. DNA needs some bits and pieces they didn't
> mention.

And the senile bullshit artist continues with his endless bullshitting...

Peeler

Aug 14, 2022, 4:01:43 AMAug 14
On Sat, 13 Aug 2022 23:22:22 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> Just do it. Don't think about it.

YOUR motto is: Just say it. Don't think about it, you endlessly driveling
senile bigmouth!

Snag

Aug 14, 2022, 7:28:20 AMAug 14
I didn't do the conversion ... But the dickhead that did should have
flipped the chunk over . It came set up for a BT , and the entire axle
was off center by a couple of inches . I corrected that when I replaced
the drive belt . It handles better now . Funny , people say trikes don't
corner well , I've been trying to lift the inboard wheel and ain't
managed it yet . Might be because of the low CG of the 1200L , I don'
know but it tracks like it's on rails .

Snag

Aug 14, 2022, 7:29:57 AMAug 14
Gyroscopic Precession ...

rbowman

Aug 14, 2022, 1:13:07 PMAug 14
On 08/14/2022 05:28 AM, Snag wrote:
> I didn't do the conversion ... But the dickhead that did should have
> flipped the chunk over . It came set up for a BT , and the entire axle
> was off center by a couple of inches . I corrected that when I replaced
> the drive belt . It handles better now . Funny , people say trikes don't
> corner well , I've been trying to lift the inboard wheel and ain't
> managed it yet . Might be because of the low CG of the 1200L , I don'
> know but it tracks like it's on rails .

That low CG helps. When I bought the Sportster I took a little road trip
after the 500 mile break-in. The first night I camped in the Highwoods
east of Great Falls. There's about 25 miles of gravel after you leave
the pavement but no big deal.

The next morning I decided to go out the other way towards Lewistown.
After about a half mile I came to a ford. I figured 'what the hell'
although it would have been interesting explaining how I dumped a brand
new Harley in the middle of a creek 25 miles from a real road. The
Sportster motored across with no problem. I didn't know I'd have to ford
the creek 4 more times. Eventually I got to open range with cattle
grazing in the road that I had to work my way through. I met a
rangerette in a Forest Service pickup and she just did sort of a double
take and got out of my way.

In 2003 I bought a DR650. I'd always worried about the belt on gravel
roads and decided to get a more purpose built bike. I did about the same
trip. The fords with the DR were a lot more drama between the high
center of gravity and the knobbies wanting to grab rocks and head off in
a different direction. The street tires on the Sportster sort of
slithered through the rocks.

Later I bought the VStrom. Comfortable out of the box and with all the
fast I'll ever need but it's a tall bike too. Nothing feels as planted
as the Sporty.

The first bike I had was a '55 FLH I bought at a police auction. It came
with a sidecar but I took it off and set the rake back to normal. I
don't know if it was just cop bikes but the forks had two positions for
a sidecar and without. It was fun but I don't have a lot of nostalgia
for hardtails with suicide clutches.

rbowman

Aug 14, 2022, 1:26:01 PMAug 14
You generally figure it out when you're about 10. My father would launch
me and my maroon and creme Monkey Wards 24" bike down the driveway. It
had enough slope I didn't have to pedal. Eventually I made it to the
garage and had the physics down pat.

Close to 40 years and many bikes later I took one of those MSF courses
and the instructor explained exactly what I was doing. Screwed me up for
a while. I figured you look left, you go left without thinking 'now I'll
push the left bar to the right.'

Of course if you think about what you're doing walking down the street,
you may fall on your face. Science is nice and all, as far as it goes.

Snag

Aug 14, 2022, 1:37:04 PMAug 14
I never tried to off-road the Sporty ... and those adjustable forks
were used into the late 70's , my '76 FLH was originally equipped with a
sidecar - which is hanging on the wall at the Sidecar Cafe next door to
Bump-us HD in Memphis . It also had a hand shift , I never tried
off-roading on it either .

Peeler

Aug 14, 2022, 1:50:30 PMAug 14
On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 11:12:55 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> That low CG helps. When I bought the Sportster I took a little road trip

Oh, FUCK! The senile bullshit starts again...

<FLUSH more of the usual lengthy grandiloquent senile crap unread>

Peeler

Aug 14, 2022, 1:51:41 PMAug 14
On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 11:25:49 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> You generally figure it out when you're about 10. My father would launch

Oh, NO! Now it's about his father!

<FLUSH another load of senile crap unread>

Commander Kinsey

Aug 14, 2022, 3:46:18 PMAug 14
I could never learn to do something counterintuitive. My subconscious has fixed ideas.

Dean Hoffman

Aug 14, 2022, 5:06:36 PMAug 14
Not a whole lot. The door on my trunk is maybe a 12x8". I have a 12 v compressor, a can of fix-a-flat, a cheap plastic rain suit, gloves and that type of thing in it. I've had a flat tire on the road. The tire fixer I ran into was reluctant to work on motorcycle tires. He was concerned he might scratch or bend the rim. There aren't many places open to fix tires on Sunday, either.
It's easier to throw stuff in a good sized backpack and tie it to the backrest. Plus, I can grab the backpack to haul into a motel room.

Peeler

Aug 14, 2022, 5:31:39 PMAug 14
On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 14:06:32 -0700 (PDT), Dean Hoffman, another mentally
deficient, troll-feeding, senile ASSHOLE, babbled again:

> Not a whole lot. The door on my trunk is maybe a 12x8". I have a 12 v
> compressor, a can of fix-a-flat, a cheap plastic rain suit, gloves and
> that type of thing in it. I've had a flat tire on the road. The tire
> fixer I ran into was reluctant to work on motorcycle tires. He was
> concerned he might scratch or bend the rim. There aren't many places
> open to fix tires on Sunday, either. It's easier to throw stuff in a good
> sized backpack and tie it to the backrest. Plus, I can grab the
> backpack to haul into a motel room.

Is that so, you retarded troll-feeding senile cretin? <BG>

rbowman

Aug 14, 2022, 11:43:23 PMAug 14
On 08/14/2022 11:36 AM, Snag wrote:
> I never tried to off-road the Sporty ... and those adjustable forks
> were used into the late 70's , my '76 FLH was originally equipped with a
> sidecar - which is hanging on the wall at the Sidecar Cafe next door to
> Bump-us HD in Memphis . It also had a hand shift , I never tried
> off-roading on it either .
> --

If you mean off pavement by off-road, I've off-roaded everything. I
happens in a county that has more unpaved roads than paved.

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_xs400r%2082.htm

I rode one of these up a particularly bad Forest Service road to get to
the Squaw Peak trailhead. It wasn't too happy but it got there.

It was an interesting bike. Short shift, and it was a docile little
commuter.It woke up at 7000 and pulled strong up to the redline at
10500. It was a little faster than a stock Sporty in the quarter mile
and would do an honest 100. There were bigger engines in the Seca lineup
but iirc the 399 cc engine satisfied the beginner's displacement limits
in the European tiered licensing scheme.

It had one problem. The stylish gas tank had 4 points that never
drained. They collected water and would rust through. I soldered on
brass shim stock patches and lined the tank with the pourable epoxy
meant for bar tops. It was still holding when I sold the bike. Strange
to say because they are completely different animals but it was too much
like the Sportster in riding position and overall performance and I
wanted to make room for the DR650.

rbowman

Aug 15, 2022, 12:03:40 AMAug 15
On 08/14/2022 03:06 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
> Not a whole lot. The door on my trunk is maybe a 12x8". I have a 12 v compressor, a can of fix-a-flat, a cheap plastic rain suit, gloves and that type of thing in it. I've had a flat tire on the road. The tire fixer I ran into was reluctant to work on motorcycle tires. He was concerned he might scratch or bend the rim. There aren't many places open to fix tires on Sunday, either.
> It's easier to throw stuff in a good sized backpack and tie it to the backrest. Plus, I can grab the backpack to haul into a motel room.

They make purpose built packs but I sewed a sort of pouch made from
leftover Naugahyde onto a CostCo backpack so it slips on the sissy bar.

I carry a compressor and a Dynaplug kit on the bikes with tubeless tires:

http://www.dynaplug.com/motorcycles.html

I plugged an almost new rear tire and rode home very gingerly. The plog
was still holding the next day so I continued to ride until it was time
for a new tire. I was running a Bridgestone Spitfire that had a dual
rubber design. I'd gotten to the point where the center band of harder
rubber stood out distinctly and started thinking it was time for a new
tire. A few days later the band was gone and I was looking at fabric. I
liked the Spitfires but they were only good for about 7000 miles versus
the OEM Dunrocks. The front Dunrock still had plenty of wear when I
replaced the rear at 14,500 but I put Spitfires on both ends.

I carry a tube patch kit on the DR650. I patched a rear on a hotter than
hell 4th of July one year and don't ever need to do that again. Planned
tire replacements at home is one thing.

Peeler

Aug 15, 2022, 3:29:40 AMAug 15
On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 22:03:29 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> I plugged an almost new rear tire and rode home very gingerly. The plog
> was still holding the next day so I continued to ride until it was time
> for a new tire. I was running a Bridgestone Spitfire that had a dual
> rubber design. I'd gotten to the point where the center band of harder
> rubber stood out distinctly and started thinking it was time for a new
> tire. A few days later the band was gone and I was looking at fabric. I
> liked the Spitfires but they were only good for about 7000 miles versus
> the OEM Dunrocks. The front Dunrock still had plenty of wear when I
> replaced the rear at 14,500 but I put Spitfires on both ends.
>
> I carry a tube patch kit on the DR650. I patched a rear on a hotter than
> hell 4th of July one year and don't ever need to do that again. Planned
> tire replacements at home is one thing.

What a grandiloquent verbose senile BIGMOUTH and BRAGGART! LOL Must be a
senile Yankee thing, or perhaps rather a typical senile bigmouthed,
self-admiring Trumptard thing. <BG>

Peeler

Aug 15, 2022, 3:30:38 AMAug 15
On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 21:43:10 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> If you mean off pavement by off-road, I've off-roaded everything.

Ah, the resident bigmouth an