Abrasion On Cu Water Pipe: What To Wrap With ?

Bob

Jul 3, 2016, 5:31:02 PM7/3/16

Have a 3/4 house Cu water pipe that is being abraded by a garage door
spring when it opens and closes.

Very hard to re-position either.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I might "wrap" the Cu pipe with
to minimize the abrasion caused by the spring coils as it opens and closes ?

Thanks,
Bob

Gordon Shumway

Jul 3, 2016, 6:04:28 PM7/3/16
No. Do the job the proper way -- either move the pipe, the spring or both to eliminate the problem. Sheesh.

bob haller

Jul 3, 2016, 6:09:19 PM7/3/16
absolutely. do it right.

replace that section of water line with pex

trader_4

Jul 3, 2016, 6:56:25 PM7/3/16
I guess you could tape a thin piece of wood to it, like the large
paint mixing sticks for 5 gallon pails to it, to protect it. But
it sounds like the correct solution is to move one or the other.

Dean Hoffman

Jul 3, 2016, 6:58:17 PM7/3/16
PVC conduit repair kit. It's just a piece of pvc sliced in two
lengthwise.
One here: http://www.conduitrepair.com/product_repairKits.html
The local hardware store would have a pvc pipe nipple that could be
sliced
lengthwise. Glue and/or hose clamps to put it together where you want
it.

trader_4

Jul 3, 2016, 7:50:27 PM7/3/16
I like that idea. Couple PVC nipples cut length wise, gives you 4 pieces.
Glued at 4 spots should do it.

Ed Pawlowski

Jul 3, 2016, 7:51:37 PM7/3/16
On 7/3/2016 6:56 PM, trader_4 wrote:
> On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 5:31:02 PM UTC-4, Bob wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Have a 3/4 house Cu water pipe that is being abraded by a garage door
>> spring when it opens and closes.
>>
>> Very hard to re-position either.

> I guess you could tape a thin piece of wood to it, like the large
> paint mixing sticks for 5 gallon pails to it, to protect it. But
> it sounds like the correct solution is to move one or the other.

Anything put there to stop the rub will be forgotten about until the
copper eventually wears through. Could be next month or five years from
now. If there is some flex, attach a wire to it and attach it to an
anchor on the wall to pull it away.

Alternative is a piece of PEX and two sharkbite fittings.

hrho...@att.net

Jul 3, 2016, 10:40:27 PM7/3/16
+1

Dean Hoffman

Jul 3, 2016, 10:43:34 PM7/3/16
On 7/3/16 9:40 PM, hrho...@att.net wrote:
> +1

???

Gordon Shumway

Jul 3, 2016, 10:48:09 PM7/3/16
On Sun, 3 Jul 2016 19:40:23 -0700 (PDT), hrho...@att.net wrote:

>+1

+1 to what??

Stormin Mormon

Jul 3, 2016, 10:51:58 PM7/3/16
Some thing hard like platinum, or titanium might
last for a while.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

CRNG

Jul 4, 2016, 8:49:19 AM7/4/16
On Sun, 3 Jul 2016 17:58:12 -0500, Dean Hoffman
<dh0...@windstream.net> wrote in <nlc5a3$5lk$1...@gioia.aioe.org>
That looks like it is worth a try.

bob_villain

Jul 4, 2016, 10:04:19 AM7/4/16
On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 9:51:58 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
> On 7/3/2016 5:31 PM, Bob wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Have a 3/4 house Cu water pipe that is being abraded by a garage door
> > spring when it opens and closes.
> >
> > Very hard to re-position either.
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions as to what I might "wrap" the Cu pipe with
> > to minimize the abrasion caused by the spring coils as it opens and
> > closes ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bob
>
> Some thing hard like platinum, or titanium might
> last for a while.

Platinum is not hard...how about your head?

Oren

Jul 4, 2016, 10:46:22 AM7/4/16
On Sun, 3 Jul 2016 19:51:33 -0400, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote:

>Alternative is a piece of PEX and two sharkbite fittings.

Bingo and route the line differently, away from the problem.

I trying to imagine why a water line is near the spring/door to begin
with.

Wade Garrett

Jul 4, 2016, 6:05:49 PM7/4/16
He concurs with the previous posted solution he was responding to.

--
With all this “gun control” talk, I haven’t heard one politician say how
they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists— just from law

Gordon Shumway

Jul 4, 2016, 9:52:20 PM7/4/16
On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 18:05:45 -0400, Wade Garrett <wa...@cooler.net> wrote:

>On 7/3/16 10:47 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Jul 2016 19:40:23 -0700 (PDT), hrho...@att.net wrote:
>>
>>> +1
>>
>> +1 to what??
>>
>He concurs with the previous posted solution he was responding to.

He didn't respond to any solution. He responded to the original post that was asking a question.

Paint...@unlisted.moo

Jul 10, 2016, 2:59:46 PM7/10/16
On Sun, 3 Jul 2016 17:31:01 -0400, Bob <rgs...@notme.invalid> wrote:

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Flooding is no fun. The only
solution is to move the pipe. I'm sure you can move it over at least a
few inches by adding or removing a few inches and/or modifying the
fittings to re-route it.