OT spam call with possiblly honest?? referral

micky

Oct 14, 2021, 3:19:27 PM10/14/21
OT I got a call just now with a recording that offered to lower my
student loan payments or suspend them forever.

Unlike most calls, pressing one just started it from the beginning
again. For 3 or 4 loan companies I'd never heard of press 3, for others
press 4.

A girl with some accent talked for a whle and asked how much money I
owed, $50,000, and how long had I been out of school, 3 years. And what
was my name, Mike. (I figured if I said Micky they could track me down.)

She transferred me to someone else, and called me Mr. Mike in the
process. He spoke perfect American English, and when I said I understnd
you can suspend my loan payments forever, he said, No, there are plans
from the government to lower the payments blah blah blah and at the end
there is a balloon payment for everythng not yet paid. He said he
usually handles internal cars but they get referrals too. He sounded
legit, although I suspect he charges a big enough fee and I could do it
myself for free if I tried. Also there is almost surely extra interest.

I told him they should re-evaluate their relationship with whoever
referred me. He had apologized and did so again and still wanted my
business. However I'm hoping my uncle will be willing to pay what I
owe and that he will make me 47 years younger too. So I told him had a
sour taste in my mouth, and in the middle of my sentence he said
something polite and hung up.

If any of you are still paying on your student loans, this may help.
Although you may select or be assigned a repayment plan when you first
begin repaying your federal student loan, you can change repayment plans
at any time庸or free.
https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/repayment/plans
Income tax on any amount forgiven.

Also I ofen watch the last 5 minutes of Judge Joe Brown reruns, where he
lectures one, sometimes both litigants, and one time, where some kind of
loan was involved, I guess, he said that when he graduated [college and
lawschool at UCLA] he owed $300,000, and he paid it back and clearly
thought it was worth it.