Really Annoying Cell Phone Issue

Marilyn Manson

Oct 13, 2021, 11:04:51 AM10/13/21
SWMBO works in a fairly rural area, right outside our metropolitan area.
More farmland than buildings.

As a family, we share lots of texts and images. When she comes home
from work we often talk about the pictures or videos that were shared
and she often says "I didn't get any pictures/videos." She's not very tech
savvy, so I'll ask her for her phone, open the text app and show her the
images. She'll say "They weren't there before" and I'll just shake my head.

This happened the other night so I asked her for her phone, looked for
the images and, sure enough, they were not there. WTF? About 2 hours
later she says to me "The pictures just came in." Yep, there they are, right
in the middle of the thread where they belong.

The best I can determine is that the reception where she works is
borderline. She'll get all texts, she get some images, she can make
phone calls, but some images and videos are delayed. I'm guessing
that sometimes they arrive while she's driving home, which would explain
why I find them when I look at her phone. However, she doesn't get a text
notification, because the text has already been read.

It's very annoying. Of course, being the nice guy that I am I apologized
for doubting her techiness every time I found the images after she told
me that she didn't get them. I hate it when she's right. ;-)

Dean Hoffman

Oct 13, 2021, 11:20:55 AM10/13/21
I'm a lifelong bachelor but I've heard rumors.
A diamond is forever just like a woman's memory.

Marilyn Manson

Oct 13, 2021, 11:32:30 AM10/13/21
I don't have to worry about "forever". When we got married we made a deal.
99 years. If we didn't still like each other after 99 years, either one was free
to walk away, no questions asked.

We've got 62 years left to see if it's going to work out.

trader_4

Oct 13, 2021, 12:51:09 PM10/13/21
What phone and what carrier? The phone may not be well suited to the
carrier bands. Is she on wifi at work?

Wade Garrett

Oct 13, 2021, 3:01:33 PM10/13/21
What model phone, which carrier, what phone plan?

--
After listening to his owner drone on for hours, Ralph suddenly realized
he was not cut out to be an emotional support dog after all

Marilyn Manson

Oct 13, 2021, 3:21:34 PM10/13/21
It's the same phone and carrier that other members of my family have, including
me until just a few weeks ago. I've never experienced that issue and neither
have family members that live in varying parts of the country's.

Ofttimes, she is outside of the main building and wifi is not available. In
essence, she works in a county park, although she is not a park employee.
I guess we could keep track of when this happens and take note of whether
the images arrive when she is in the building vs. out in the field.

trader_4

Oct 13, 2021, 4:08:20 PM10/13/21
And apparently a secret too.

Marilyn Manson

Oct 13, 2021, 4:50:16 PM10/13/21
What frigging difference does it make what phone or carrier it is when I specifically
said that the phone and carrier are identical to other combinations used across the
country that don't exhibit the issue that I'm describing?

Here ya go: Pixel 2 on Verizon, unlimited data plan.

Millions of that combination are in use. The phone was bought from Verizon. I pretty
sure Verizon doesn't sell phones that aren't well suited with their own bands. I could
be wrong.

(Yes, you will find posts about images not being sent/received on Pixel 2 phones. All
of the solutions I've seen are based on specific settings and impact *all* image
sending/receiving, not intermittent, location based issues like I am describing.)

She just came home. No images are attached to the texts I sent her this morning.
Just the text. I sent a text with images just now. They showed up immediately. I turned
off wifi. I sent her another text with images. They showed up immediately. The images
from this morning have still not arrived. Maybe they will later. Hard to say.

She's had the phone for 4 years. Her work location is the only place that this issue occurs.

Ed Pawlowski

Oct 13, 2021, 7:27:09 PM10/13/21
What matters is proximity to cell towers. There is far from 100%
coverage from any of the carriers. I've been in locations where Carrier
A was good but Carrier B won't work but another place, just the opposite.

Only solution is another tower.

Ralph Mowery

Oct 13, 2021, 7:32:27 PM10/13/21
In article <dXJ9J.206069$Kv2...@fx47.iad>, e...@snet.xxx says...

> What matters is proximity to cell towers. There is far from 100%
> coverage from any of the carriers. I've been in locations where Carrier
> A was good but Carrier B won't work but another place, just the opposite.
>
> Only solution is another tower.

Or you could get a phone that works on wifi. My phone will go to wifi
if needed.

At one time I had a service that the primary service was wifi and if it
could not find a wifi it would then look for a cell tower.

Ed Pawlowski

Oct 13, 2021, 7:50:13 PM10/13/21
Assuming wifi is available.

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Oct 13, 2021, 8:33:43 PM10/13/21
Ah Ha ...

Perhaps her cell restricts < large > data attachments <?>
but when connected to a familar wifi - no problem ..
.. it seeks & downloads ..
Makes sense to me ... who still misses his flip phone ..
John T.

Marilyn Manson

Oct 14, 2021, 10:14:22 AM10/14/21
Nope. We can be standing next to each in just about every other
location and we will both receive the texts and images at the same
time. wifi is not the issue. We hike, we drive, we are very often out
of range of any wifi. Texts and images still arrive.

The real test would be for me to go to her work location and see how
my phone acts. Or she could ask her workmates.

Marilyn Manson

Oct 14, 2021, 10:20:19 AM10/14/21
On Wednesday, October 13, 2021 at 7:32:27 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
> In article <dXJ9J.206069$Kv2...@fx47.iad>, e...@snet.xxx says...
> >
> > What matters is proximity to cell towers. There is far from 100%
> > coverage from any of the carriers. I've been in locations where Carrier
> > A was good but Carrier B won't work but another place, just the opposite.
> >
> > Only solution is another tower.
> >

> Or you could get a phone that works on wifi. My phone will go to wifi
> if needed.

Just about all phones these days will either connect to saved wifi's (password
already entered) or at a minimum ask if you want to join the network that the
phone found.

You can even set up many (most? all?) phones to connect to open wifi's
when found. Not recommended, but it can be done.

> At one time I had a service that the primary service was wifi and if it
> could not find a wifi it would then look for a cell tower.

Most (all?) phones have a setting to allow that. It's basically standard operation.

trader_4

Oct 14, 2021, 10:33:31 AM10/14/21
The better question is what's the big secret? If I make a post complaining about
cell phone service and/or phone, I include the obvious info. Otherwise, what's the point?
Just to hear yourself whine?

> Here ya go: Pixel 2 on Verizon, unlimited data plan.

Yes, that phone is compatible and has almost all the Verizon bands. If it's Verizon
prepaid instead of postpaid, then it may not have roaming in the problem location,
which could be a factor.

> Millions of that combination are in use. The phone was bought from Verizon. I pretty
> sure Verizon doesn't sell phones that aren't well suited with their own bands. I could
> be wrong.

It's still possible it's a problem with the phone. Try switching phones, swap the sim
from her phone into yours and see if the problem is the same or if it's the phone.

trader_4

Oct 14, 2021, 10:36:43 AM10/14/21
Like I suggested in the other post, swap phones, put her sim into your phone
for a day and see what happens. Also you can load Cell Info Lite which shows
which tower the phone is connected to, where it is, signal strength and also the
next tower alternative in range.

Frank

Oct 14, 2021, 10:44:22 AM10/14/21
My Tracfone flip phone was becoming antiquated by higher G so I went to
a smart phone. Nicer to use but often a real PITA often beeping with
inane shit like asking me to sign up for Tik Tok.

trader_4

Oct 14, 2021, 10:50:09 AM10/14/21
A large part of that problem is that if you buy a phone from the carriers
they load it with bloatware that you can't even delete. If you buy a phone
directly from the manufacturer, you can generally avoid that. And then a
couple Android companies, eg Google and Oneplus, stick very close to stock
Android, so you don't have to deal with some of the things others put on
there that they think make them better, but that many people don't like.

I'm trying to figure out what phone to get right now and it sure isn't trivial.

Marilyn Manson

Oct 14, 2021, 2:03:29 PM10/14/21
If you buy a phone from the manufacturer, you get *their* bloatware plus their
business partners' bloatware. I just bought a S21 5G directly from Samsung.
Some stuff you can turn off, other stuff you can't. There's a Samsung folder
with 7 apps. There's another folder for Microsoft (3 apps), Google (9). Many
other stand-alone apps that apparently don't deserve their own folders. ("Crap"
would be a good name for the folder.)

Biggest issue with S21: The Phone goes dark while making phone calls, even if you
are not holding the phone to your ear. Supposedly to save battery. If goes dark
so fast that you don't even have time to get through some "Press 1 for Sales, 2
for Customer Service" IVR systems. I had to download an app (KinScreen) to
keep the phone on so I use it on speaker phone or headset during meetings and
have access to the Mute button, etc.

They also made the notification bar so small that you need a magnifying glass to
see what time it is. There's a bizzare workaround to enlarge it that requires enabling
Developer Option mode (7 taps of the Build Number field in Settings) then setting
the display cutout to Waterfall mode, rebooting and then going back in and setting
the display back to Default. WTF? It works, but why should users have to do that?

Dean Hoffman

Oct 14, 2021, 2:57:09 PM10/14/21
If it helps, Consumer Reports has the OnePlus 8 Pro rated as a Best Buy.
$700. A OnePlus 8 is also a Best Buy. $450. There are higher rated phones
but for a thousand dollars and/or iPhones.

micky

Oct 14, 2021, 3:34:48 PM10/14/21
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 13 Oct 2021 12:21:31 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn
I've added comp.mobile.android to the list. Maybe you didn't know the
group exists If this Pixel isn't an android phone, my apologies.

You could also add the Eudora group, which is mostly about Eudora, but
that's an email reader so maybe they would have an answer.

I though of this, but now I don't think there is much relevance.
Included anyhow: I've noticed, only with one email so far, but I haven't
been checking, from a news website that includes advertising. I looked
at the email and glanced at the ad, then closed the email and realized I
wanted to click on the ad. I reopened the email and found a row of 3
ads but not the one I wanted. I thought it was part of the email!! I
closed and opened the email two more times and the 2nd time for sure the
row of ads had changed, so that means it changed the 2nd time too.

A big difference between paid adsand attachments made by the sender at
the time of sending, although maybe not about this. Paid ads are added,
not by my email server and not iiuc by the sender's email server??? but
by something working with the sender. They, a link to them, are added
long before it gets to my server, and the actual picture/ad is added, I
guess when the email is opened. So the point is that in this case the
embedded data, I think it's called, isn't sent to me until the email is
opened.

Marilyn Manson

Oct 14, 2021, 3:53:35 PM10/14/21
What mail client are you using?

micky

Oct 14, 2021, 5:15:41 PM10/14/21
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 14 Oct 2021 12:53:32 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn
Eudora. Yeah it's old but I'm sure it has not changed that embedded
files come in a different way from text. This usually happens before I
can see it, so it probably happens to you too, but before you can see
it.

The example I gave was unusual in that I noticed it, not that it
happened. A very rare time I looked at an ad and also I closed the
email and then re-opened it 3 more times, and looked at the ad each
time.

Yes, embedded files are not the same as attachments.

And why did you delete the android group? I think this problem can use
as much help as possible, so I've added the Eudora group too.

Please don't delete any groups. This post has some of my own information
and my own questions, which I want to be read by people in the other two
groups, and they deserve any replies I or others make when they decide
what to say.

Marilyn Manson

Oct 14, 2021, 5:39:46 PM10/14/21
I didn't delete anything. I simply clicked the Reply All button. I guess you'll have to
blame it on Google Groups. In your replies all I see is this:

"In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 13 Oct 2021 12:21:31 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn
Manson <comawhit...@gmail.com> wrote:"

and

"In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 14 Oct 2021 12:53:32 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn
Manson <comawhit...@gmail.com> wrote:"

There is no mention of any other group in your replies so whatever G2 is
doing in the background is out of my control.

Frank

Oct 14, 2021, 5:50:38 PM10/14/21
My Samsung Galaxy A11 cost $100 from Tracfone and came with a month time
and unlimited text and minutes. I paid $25 for a couple of gigs data.
All this adds on to my original expiration date adding a month to it. I
also found a "glove" for the phone for about $20 that fits the phone
perfectly and keeps it from being damaged while all functions are
accessed through it.

Got rid of the Tik Tok notification by removing the ap. Also found you
can mute any notification.

micky

Oct 14, 2021, 8:02:24 PM10/14/21
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 14 Oct 2021 07:36:40 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
<tra...@optonline.net> wrote:

>Like I suggested in the other post, swap phones, put her sim into your phone
>for a day and see what happens. Also you can load Cell Info Lite which shows
>which tower the phone is connected to, where it is, signal strength and also the
>next tower alternative in range.

I think you mean Network Cell Info Lite. It's good, but Network Signal
Info [light] has some additional information abouty signals, especially
want I was looking for. What mattered especially to me was Network
Type, which it shows now as LTE+4G 9and band name, band no. and
earfcn**.

Without taking the time to check details, I can also say that although
they probably give the same tower written information (other than
location?), for each the geographical map of where the tower is located
showed the wrong location. I know because I went to both of them and
there is no tower. Hmmm, since I looked several months ago one map
shows a different location for the cell tower I'm using, and now those
two locations are about 4 blocks apart. (In addition, Network Cell Info
even Lite shows multiple other tower locations on its map and a) it
doesn't show anything at that previous location, b) at the nearest
shopping center which has two towers about 100+ yards apart, it only
shows one icon. c)it shows a tower about 120 yards from me whose icon
envelops my house, but it shows that it's not the tower I'm using. I'm
sure tht's true. No matter because mostly I'm not home when I use the
cell, but it reminds me that some cell towers have signs in front of
them giving the tower number. I once looked up a tower that way on the
web. The one near me is on 3 or 4 corners of an 8 story building. Maybe
there is a sign in the lobby?

They also give wifi information. Both apps, useful for anyone who is
even 1/4 techie. It's definitely worh having both free ones.

I bought both pro versions and I dont' remember them having more about
what interests me. No, I see that Netorks Signal has both signal and
wifi loggoing the in the pro version. That could be very important.
Maybe the other one too. Also pro versions have no ads. Only 3 or 4
dollars iirc.

**I don't know what LTE earfcn is. Mine is 2325 E-ultra Absolute Radio
Frequency Channel Number.

rbowman

Oct 14, 2021, 8:47:04 PM10/14/21
On 10/14/2021 12:57 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
> If it helps, Consumer Reports has the OnePlus 8 Pro rated as a Best Buy.
> $700. A OnePlus 8 is also a Best Buy. $450. There are higher rated phones
> but for a thousand dollars and/or iPhones.

A $130 Nokia 4.2 works just fine for me.

micky

Oct 14, 2021, 9:58:48 PM10/14/21
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 14 Oct 2021 14:39:43 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn
I guess so. So I guess this means you can't cross post when you reply
and probably not when you start a thread either. That seems to limit
usenet's value for you as much as anyone. And if in a multiposted
thread, you get a reply from someone reading it in different ng from the
one you're reading, he won't see your reply nor will anyone else in that
ng, and you won't see a potential answer he might have written.

Plus technically, it has to be easier to use a newsreader, subscribe to
a free or cheap news server, and read Usenet directily where none of the
above problems exist, and it's much easier in general. I've used
google groups when I was looking for something very old, or something
like that, and I know it's sure not as convenient as a news reader.

In your replies all I see is this:

>"In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 13 Oct 2021 12:21:31 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn
>Manson <comawhit...@gmail.com> wrote:"
>
>and
>
>"In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 14 Oct 2021 12:53:32 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn
>Manson <comawhit...@gmail.com> wrote:"
>
>There is no mention of any other group in your replies so whatever G2 is
>doing in the background is out of my control.

I modified my client-inserted headers 25 years ago to insert in them the
ng name as well as the date, time, and name of the prior poster. Most
probably dont' do that, but even for me, it only allowed one newsgrpoup
name to go there. There's a box at the top of the whole page where
mulyiplr destination newsgroups can be specified.

gfre...@aol.com

Oct 14, 2021, 10:32:02 PM10/14/21
It sounds like the plan my wife is on., I don't text but I do send
texts from my PC (<Phone number>@VZWPIX.COM)
Sometime she gets the pictures, other time not and this is in the same
house.

gfre...@aol.com

Oct 14, 2021, 10:33:07 PM10/14/21
I still have one.

micky

Oct 14, 2021, 11:18:31 PM10/14/21
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 14 Oct 2021 11:03:25 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn
You got cheated. My Samsung folder has 9 apps. 3 I've never opened,
Samsung Heatlth, Galaxy Wearable, and SmartThings.

The others seem all to be essential, valuable apps, Phone, Messages,
Voice Recorder, Email, My Files, Internet [the only browser I used], and
Radio, for the built-in FM radio.

I dont' think any of these run when I dont' run them.

> There's another folder for Microsoft (3 apps), Google (9). Many

My MS folder also has 3, Office, Linkedin, and Onedrive. I don't use
any of these either but maybe I shoudl use Onedrive. Does it backup
photos I take?

My Google folder has 8. Yours has 9. I got cheated. I never used
Chrome, Drive, Duo, Photos, or Google (though maybe I shoudl have used
that. It was in an option in the built-in browser) I did use Maps (all
the time), Youtube a couple times, and Gmail, mostly when I sent myself
directions from the Google Maps on the PC.

>other stand-alone apps that apparently don't deserve their own folders. ("Crap"

Yes, Samsung Members (I was blackballed), Galaxy Store (A t-shirt that
says Samsung on it? ), Samsung Note, probably useful if I didn't own
paper, maybe a couple others I messed.

>would be a good name for the folder.)

You're by far not the only one who complains about bloat, but I never
had occassion to inquire about it. On this phone, I dont' see how any of
this matters.

I thought the problem with Windows bloatware was it ran all the time and
used resources because it was running, or interfered with other tasks.
For phones, extra apps don't bother me because when they're not started,
I don't think they do anything but take us some storage.

I'm using 20G for storage of all apps together, out of 64G. I have 100
apps, many (most?) I added myself. A few extra apps within the 20G
doesn't seem like a problem.

>Biggest issue with S21: The Phone goes dark while making phone calls, even if you
>are not holding the phone to your ear. Supposedly to save battery. If goes dark
>so fast that you don't even have time to get through some "Press 1 for Sales, 2
>for Customer Service" IVR systems. I had to download an app (KinScreen) to
>keep the phone on so I use it on speaker phone or headset during meetings and
>have access to the Mute button, etc.

I'm glad I don't have that, but I still had to dl a similar app so that
google maps would stay on continuously, even though charging it is
supposed to keep the screen on.

>They also made the notification bar so small that you need a magnifying glass to
>see what time it is. There's a bizzare workaround to enlarge it that requires enabling
>Developer Option mode (7 taps of the Build Number field in Settings) then setting
>the display cutout to Waterfall mode, rebooting and then going back in and setting
>the display back to Default. WTF? It works, but why should users have to do that?

I don't have that problem. I do have a long term problem stopping most
things from notifying me. And iiuc now that I have another phone, I
have to start all over.

angelica...@yahoo.com

Oct 15, 2021, 5:05:12 AM10/15/21
On Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 5:15:41 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

> And why did you delete the android group? I think this problem can use
> as much help as possible, so I've added the Eudora group too.
>
> Please don't delete any groups. This post has some of my own information
> and my own questions, which I want to be read by people in the other two
> groups, and they deserve any replies I or others make when they decide
> what to say.

Google groups does not allow its members to cross-post. It's completely
out of our control.

Cindy Hamilton

angelica...@yahoo.com

Oct 15, 2021, 5:07:07 AM10/15/21
On Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 9:58:48 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

> Plus technically, it has to be easier to use a newsreader, subscribe to
> a free or cheap news server, and read Usenet directily where none of the
> above problems exist, and it's much easier in general.

Technically, it's much easier to use Google Groups. All you need to
do is go to the web site, sign in, and start reading and posting.

No newsreader, no news server, no configuration.

Cindy Hamilton

Marilyn Manson

Oct 15, 2021, 8:58:04 AM10/15/21
On Friday, October 15, 2021 at 5:07:07 AM UTC-4, angelica...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 9:58:48 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
>
> > Plus technically, it has to be easier to use a newsreader, subscribe to
> > a free or cheap news server, and read Usenet directily where none of the
> > above problems exist, and it's much easier in general.
> Technically, it's much easier to use Google Groups. All you need to
> do is go to the web site, sign in, and start reading and posting.

...and you are always current on any device that you do that on.

The PC at home, the laptop on the road, the iPad in the crapper.

Marilyn Manson

Oct 15, 2021, 8:58:58 AM10/15/21
And for my usage, it doesn't bother me at all.

trader_4

Oct 15, 2021, 9:00:09 AM10/15/21
Could be worse. I need a new phone, was zeroing in on a Oneplus midrange one,
the I discovered their thread on Reddit and what a mess. Seems Oneplus was bought
by OPPO (another Chinese company) or the other way around. Result is that since
Oppo is bigger, sells more in China, it looks like they are merging the next OS so that
there is one, the Oppo one. Most of the Oneplus users are mad because one of the
main reasons they liked Oneplus was that it was very close to stock Android. Now
it's going to look like crap. Then even worse, there is one horror story after another
of people having huge problems with most existing Oneplus phones when they were
forced to do the update to Android 11. That started a year ago and it's still a huge
mess. Everything from phones getting hot and batteries draining, Google using huge
power all the time for unknown reasons, no longer connecting to the carrier, etc.
And with all these phones, there is no easy way, maybe no way at all to roll back
and stay with the previous version of the OS. And they all agree their customer
service sucks. So now it's back to square one.

trader_4

Oct 15, 2021, 9:03:01 AM10/15/21
See my other post. I'm looking for a new phone and was planning on getting
a Oneplus because I saw similar great reviews. Then I saw what actual users
were reporting on Reddit. Short version is that Oneplus was great, but they have
really hosed it up in the last year and are headed in the wrong direction now after
a merger with another Chinese phone makers. Besides releasing a disaster OS11
update this year, they are making all the phones look like the Chinese Oppo brand
ones, no longer like OnePlus.

trader_4

Oct 15, 2021, 9:07:17 AM10/15/21
On Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 8:02:24 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 14 Oct 2021 07:36:40 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
> <tra...@optonline.net> wrote:
>

> >Like I suggested in the other post, swap phones, put her sim into your phone
> >for a day and see what happens. Also you can load Cell Info Lite which shows
> >which tower the phone is connected to, where it is, signal strength and also the
> >next tower alternative in range.
> I think you mean Network Cell Info Lite. It's good, but Network Signal
> Info [light] has some additional information abouty signals, especially
> want I was looking for. What mattered especially to me was Network
> Type, which it shows now as LTE+4G 9and band name, band no. and
> earfcn**.
>
> Without taking the time to check details, I can also say that although
> they probably give the same tower written information (other than
> location?), for each the geographical map of where the tower is located
> showed the wrong location. I know because I went to both of them and
> there is no tower.

Network Cell also shows the wrong location for the tower I connect
to at home. It always shows it in either my backdoor neighbor's yard
or the street right there. AFAIK, there is nothing there but houses.
There is a big tower a couple thousand feet further. But curiously
the map also shows a tower there, so IDK what's going on. I've always
intended to take the phone for a drive and see how it changes, but
never remember to do it.

gfre...@aol.com

Oct 15, 2021, 10:14:13 AM10/15/21
One problem with GG is they can't see any post with the No Archive bit
set on.

angelica...@yahoo.com

Oct 15, 2021, 11:20:09 AM10/15/21
True. We can usually see the replies to it, though.

Cindy Hamilton

Bob F

Oct 15, 2021, 12:49:45 PM10/15/21
I just glance at Thunderbird, and immediately know if I have any email
or if there are new messages in any of the newsgroups I watch.

micky

Oct 15, 2021, 2:31:42 PM10/15/21
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 15 Oct 2021 09:49:39 -0700, Bob F
<bobn...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 10/15/2021 2:07 AM, angelica...@yahoo.com wrote:
>> On Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 9:58:48 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
>>
>>> Plus technically, it has to be easier to use a newsreader, subscribe to
>>> a free or cheap news server, and read Usenet directily where none of the
>>> above problems exist, and it's much easier in general.
>>
>> Technically, it's much easier to use Google Groups. All you need to

I meant after you're set up. I've used google groups and it was never
as easy as the newsreader, which also gives better results.

>> do is go to the web site, sign in, and start reading and posting.
>>
>> No newsreader, no news server, no configuration.
>> > Cindy Hamilton
>>

>I just glance at Thunderbird, and immediately know if I have any email
>or if there are new messages in any of the newsgroups I watch.

Right. Thunderbird has a newsreader, it takes 15 minutes to find and
subscribe to a newsreader, 10 minutds to configure it once, and you get
its benefits from then on.

angelica...@yahoo.com

Oct 15, 2021, 2:53:51 PM10/15/21
On Friday, October 15, 2021 at 2:31:42 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 15 Oct 2021 09:49:39 -0700, Bob F
> <bobn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Technically, it's much easier to use Google Groups. All you need to
> I meant after you're set up. I've used google groups and it was never
> as easy as the newsreader, which also gives better results.

I just can't bring myself to care what interface I use for Usenet. The
two things I like least about GG is that you no longer can see the full
headers for a message, and once a thread gets to 1000 posts it starts
displaying subsequent posts as if they were separate threads.

Really minor stuff in my book.

Cindy Hamilton

micky

Oct 15, 2021, 3:48:25 PM10/15/21
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 15 Oct 2021 06:07:13 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
Me too. It's not important but it sure is curious. I know where the
tower with the sign is, on one of two nearby roads, and I could also get
its number, look it up again and probably see its lat and longitude, and
see how that compares with the map.

Maybe the locations of record that the apps showswere planned locations
that got changed. The old maps of my n'hood show a street name that is
never used -- now it just has the odd numbers of my street which has
even numbers. As if they are the same street now.

Marilyn Manson

Oct 15, 2021, 5:13:00 PM10/15/21
On Friday, October 15, 2021 at 2:31:42 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
How you feel about the exact location of your cell towers is how how feel
about what you call the "benefits" of a newsreader. "It's not important." (to me)

I've used various newsreaders in the past and maybe I'll use them again.
For now, I'm happy with G2. I left my PC at home, drove 180 miles, opened
my Chromebook and picked up right where I left off this morning.

Can you do that with Thunderbird?