OT - How Do I Stop Getting Recall Notices On A Vehicle I No Longer Own?

DerbyDad03

Jul 4, 2016, 8:51:42 PM7/4/16
Yes, I know I can just throw them away.

2 years ago a tree fell on my van and it was totaled by the insurance company.
Once we settled the claim, I handed over the title and they became the new
owner. As far as I can tell, they then sold the vehicle to an auction company
in upstate NY, which made me one step farther away from being the current
owner.

I can't tell if the vehicle was sold at the auction, all I know is that the
auction "ended". I know this because I can Google the VIN:

http://selenaauto.com/index.php?pid=203&carId=15109&vin=5FNRL18564B140663

Every 6 months or so, I get a recall notice from Honda related to the
infamous Takata Air Bag Inflator recall. The first time I received the
notice, I filled out the "Information Change Card" explaining that the
vehicle was totaled by the ins co. 6 months later I filled out the card
again and included a copy of the page from the auction website. 6 months
later I called DMV in the state where I last register the vehicle. They
did not list me as the current owner, but they were not allowed to tell
me who was. I filled out the card once again, and once again included a
copy of the auction web page. 6 months later I called Honda and "opened
a case". I was assured that I would no longer receive recall notices.

Well, I got another one this weekend. I plan to call Honda again. I assume
that they will be able to pull up my "case" in their computer, but I don't
know if that will do any good. Whatever they did last time didn't help.

Am I doomed to receive recall notice on this vehicle for the rest of my
life? (I know about the "10 year" rule but AFAIK that only applies to
getting the repair done for free and not related to the notification of
the defect.)

Meanie

Jul 4, 2016, 9:13:27 PM7/4/16
A recall notice usually comes with a card to fill out asking if you
still own the vehicle. Some manufacturers want more info than others but
generally a check box for "I no longer own this vehicle" or "The vehicle
is no longer drive-able or was totaled". Then you return it in their
return envelope.

Percival P. Cassidy

Jul 4, 2016, 9:23:01 PM7/4/16
No such card and envelope with the recall notice for our Pontiac Vibe
(also for the Takata airbag problem).

Perce

Ed Pawlowski

Jul 4, 2016, 9:54:07 PM7/4/16
On 7/4/2016 8:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> Yes, I know I can just throw them away.
>
> 2 years ago a tree fell on my van and it was totaled by the insurance company.
> Once we settled the claim, I handed over the title and they became the new
> owner. As far as I can tell, they then sold the vehicle to an auction company
> in upstate NY, which made me one step farther away from being the current
> owner.
>
> I can't tell if the vehicle was sold at the auction, all I know is that the
> auction "ended". I know this because I can Google the VIN:
>
> http://selenaauto.com/index.php?pid=203&carId=15109&vin=5FNRL18564B140663
>
> Every 6 months or so, I get a recall notice from Honda related to the
> infamous Takata Air Bag Inflator recall. The first time I received the
> notice, I filled out the "Information Change Card" explaining that the
> vehicle was totaled by the ins co. 6 months later I filled out the card
> again and included a copy of the page from the auction website.

Read the card carefully. Maybe they know you totaled the car and they
want you to send back the airbags so they can use them in new cars.

Gordon Shumway

Jul 4, 2016, 9:58:19 PM7/4/16
Move and don't tell the post office! Problem solved. You're welcome.

Stormin Mormon

Jul 4, 2016, 10:12:36 PM7/4/16
On 7/4/2016 8:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

> Am I doomed to receive recall notice on this vehicle for the rest of my
> life?

Probably yes. It's attorney thing. I remember
one time a company I did a repair for, they
went into bankrupcy or some thing. I got more
reams of paper from the district court. I'd
already been paid for the job, and the notices
were irrelevant.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Jul 4, 2016, 11:14:38 PM7/4/16
On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 22:12:37 -0400, Stormin Mormon
<cayo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 7/4/2016 8:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
>>
>> Am I doomed to receive recall notice on this vehicle for the rest of my
>> life?
>>

>Probably yes. It's attorney thing. I remember
>one time a company I did a repair for, they
>went into bankrupcy or some thing. I got more
>reams of paper from the district court. I'd
>already been paid for the job, and the notices
>were irrelevant.

Transfer the warranty/ownership information to the new owner with the
manufacturer so the current owner gets the notifications.

Bottom posted for the Moron's reading pleasure.

Micky

Jul 5, 2016, 1:30:51 AM7/5/16
On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 17:51:31 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
<teama...@eznet.net> wrote:

> (I know about the "10 year" rule but AFAIK that only applies to
>getting the repair done for free and not related to the notification of
>the defect.)

If you're afraid they won't notify you reliably, I'd be glad to put it
on my calendar for every 6 months and send you an email.

Meantime, don't drive under any more trees.

ChairMan

Jul 5, 2016, 2:19:40 AM7/5/16
Yer a sick man, Ed Pawlowski, but I like the way you think
: )

burfordTjustice

Jul 5, 2016, 7:47:29 AM7/5/16
On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 17:51:31 -0700 (PDT)
DerbyDad03 <teama...@eznet.net> wrote:

> Am I doomed to receive recall notice on this vehicle for the rest of
> my life?

Life can be hard, suck it up and move along.

DerbyDad03

Jul 5, 2016, 8:05:01 AM7/5/16
Holy crap! Did you even read my post?

How could you possibly have missed the paragraph where I clearly stated that
I have filled out the card multiples times and even included supporting
documentation that I am no longer the owner?

DerbyDad03

Jul 5, 2016, 8:19:27 AM7/5/16
Great idea. Now tell me how to determine the new owner.

I have already sent everything I know about the disposition of the vehicle
to Honda. I even spoke to Honda Customer Care directly. Did you read my
post?

I included a copy of the auction website page with the information card
*twice*. I wrote the URL on the information card. I directed the CSR at
Honda Customer Care to the website when they opened the case.

http://selenaauto.com/index.php?pid=203&carId=15109&vin=5FNRL18564B140663

Tell me who the current owner is and I will certainly pass that along. Don't
tell me it's the insurance company or the auction company, because I already
told Honda Customer Care about those 2 entities. It hasn't helped.

burfordTjustice

Jul 5, 2016, 8:24:47 AM7/5/16
On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 05:04:57 -0700 (PDT)
DerbyDad03 <teama...@eznet.net> wrote:

> Holy crap! Did you even read my post?

Life is hard, it is harder if you are stupid.

Suck it up and move along.

Frank

Jul 5, 2016, 9:03:39 AM7/5/16
Just because somebody mails you something does not mean you have to read
it. The only inconvenience is tossing it.

DerbyDad03

Jul 5, 2016, 9:23:40 AM7/5/16
Not true.

I currently own 3 Honda vehicles. The only way to determine which vehicle
the recall notice applies to is to open the envelope and *read* the VIN.

Percival P. Cassidy

Jul 5, 2016, 10:49:26 AM7/5/16
On 07/05/2016 08:19 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

> I have already sent everything I know about the disposition of the vehicle
> to Honda. I even spoke to Honda Customer Care directly. Did you read my
> post?
>
> I included a copy of the auction website page with the information card
> *twice*. I wrote the URL on the information card. I directed the CSR at
> Honda Customer Care to the website when they opened the case.
>
> http://selenaauto.com/index.php?pid=203&carId=15109&vin=5FNRL18564B140663
>
> Tell me who the current owner is and I will certainly pass that along. Don't
> tell me it's the insurance company or the auction company, because I already
> told Honda Customer Care about those 2 entities. It hasn't helped.

Perhaps the ultimate purchaser parted it out, so you are still the last
*registered* owner, and they are *required* to send you the notices.

I am assuming that if we had simply stored and not registered the
Pontiac Vibe that we bought from a friend, *she* would still be getting
the recall notices.

Perce

Oren

Jul 5, 2016, 11:06:52 AM7/5/16
On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 10:50:10 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
<Nob...@NotMyISP.net> wrote:

>Perhaps the ultimate purchaser parted it out, so you are still the last
>*registered* owner, and they are *required* to send you the notices.

I was thinking along those lines. A title transfer and registration
'ought' to trigger and change notice to the new owner.

I'd be curious if the auction house would tell Derby the name of the
new owner?

burfordTjustice

Jul 5, 2016, 11:13:07 AM7/5/16
On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 06:23:35 -0700 (PDT)
DerbyDad03 <teama...@eznet.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 9:03:39 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
> > On 7/5/2016 7:47 AM, burfordTjustice wrote:

> > > Life can be hard, suck it up and move along.
> > >

> > Just because somebody mails you something does not mean you have to
> > read it. The only inconvenience is tossing it.
>
> Not true.
>
> I currently own 3 Honda vehicles. The only way to determine which
> vehicle the recall notice applies to is to open the envelope and
> *read* the VIN.

Life is hard, suck it up for 15 seconds and move on!

Taxed and Spent

Jul 5, 2016, 11:14:08 AM7/5/16
Why not just fill out the paperwork showing that the auction house is
the new owner?

DerbyDad03

Jul 5, 2016, 11:46:01 AM7/5/16
If I were still the registered owner, then I should have a received a
registration renewal notice from the DMV, but I have not.

As I stated in my OP, I called the DMV and they do not list me as the
registered owner, but they could not/would not tell me who was.

When the ins co took possession, the title and registration was signed over
to them, just like they are when a vehicle is sold.

DerbyDad03

Jul 5, 2016, 12:01:58 PM7/5/16
Why not just read my OP?

As stated, on 2 separate occasions I included the URl for the auction site
and a copy of the web page I linked to above when I mailed back the form.
I also included a letter of explanation letting them know that the ins co
took possession of the vehicle over 2 years ago and that the auction site URL
is the latest (and only) information I have regarding the current status of
the vehicle.

My only assumption is that the auction website page does not prove ownership,
only that the vehicle was offered at auction and that the auction has "ended".
For all "they" know, I could have asked the auction company to try and sell it
for me. It doesn't prove that the auction company owns it or ever owned it.

Regardless, it was the *ins co* that "bought" the vehicle from me when they
gave me the check and took possession of the vehicle, the title and the
registration. At that point I should have been removed as the registered
owner and removed from the recall list.

It's been 2 years and I honestly don't recall if I called the ins co for
their opinion on the issue. I'm still a customer of theirs, so I assume that
they will talk to me about the issue. I'll give them a call.

Taxed and Spent

Jul 5, 2016, 12:17:07 PM7/5/16
Well I read your OP and SOME of all the followups and have lost track,
but now you are sounding like some nut job. Just open the mail and
throw away what is not to your liking. Jeez. Why bother us with your
unsolvable yet trivial problem?

Frank

Jul 5, 2016, 12:47:31 PM7/5/16
You did not say that. So you open it and throw it away.

I went through something like this when my father was on Medicaid in a
nursing home and his supplemental insurance had been cancelled yet
months after I got letters saying they were not paying a claim. Of
course not, he was no longer insured by them.
I just threw stuff away and wife went nuts, said she would contact them
and straighten it out. Said she did but crap continued so I just threw
it away.

Why beat your head against a wall?

DerbyDad03

Jul 5, 2016, 1:16:56 PM7/5/16
On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 12:47:31 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
> On 7/5/2016 9:23 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

> >> Just because somebody mails you something does not mean you have to read
> >> it. The only inconvenience is tossing it.
> >
> > Not true.
> >
> > I currently own 3 Honda vehicles. The only way to determine which vehicle
> > the recall notice applies to is to open the envelope and *read* the VIN.
> >
> You did not say that.

I didn't say it because it wasn't relevant until you said I didn't have to
read it.

> So you open it and throw it away.

So I open it, check the VIN and then throw it away...or try to find a way to
get them to stop. Since you don't have any suggestions as to how to do that,
we can just move on.

DerbyDad03

Jul 5, 2016, 1:17:09 PM7/5/16
That's funny.

If I'm "bothering" you, why did you "bother" responding?

If it's such a "bother", stop responding and don't bitch if I correct you
when your response doesn't make sense.

What's that you said? Oh yeah: Jeez.

Taxed and Spent

Jul 5, 2016, 1:27:21 PM7/5/16
ok followers of this thread: time to vote!

DerbyDad03

Jul 5, 2016, 1:34:55 PM7/5/16
On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 1:27:21 PM UTC-4, Taxed and Spent wrote:
...snip...

> ok followers of this thread: time to vote!

What are we voting on? Whether I'm bothering you or not?

I'll vote that I am.

Scott Lurndal

Jul 5, 2016, 1:44:45 PM7/5/16
DerbyDad03 <teama...@eznet.net> writes:

>As I stated in my OP, I called the DMV and they do not list me as the
>registered owner, but they could not/would not tell me who was.
>
>When the ins co took possession, the title and registration was signed over
>to them, just like they are when a vehicle is sold.

In this neck of the woods, recalls are handled by the manufacturer, sent
to the last "owner of record" (purchase records kept by the manufacturer).

They don't get notices from DMV when the registered owner changes (and in this
state, its the new buyer that must register and transfer the title, the
seller must only file a release-of-liability with the DMV).

Kurt V. Ullman

Jul 5, 2016, 1:49:34 PM7/5/16
On 7/5/16 1:16 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

> So I open it, check the VIN and then throw it away...or try to find a way to
> get them to stop. Since you don't have any suggestions as to how to do that,
> we can just move on.

The recall doesn't have an 800 number to call for more information?
Can a Honda dealer help you out? Do you use a Honda dealer for your
service (they would have the recall notice and should tell you when you
come in so you can toss them without concern.

DerbyDad03

Jul 5, 2016, 2:06:40 PM7/5/16
I do not use a Honda dealer for my service.

As noted in my OP, I called Honda Customer Care when I received the 3rd
recall notice about 6 months ago. They opened a "case" and said that I
would not receive any more recall notices for that vehicle. They were
wrong.

I plan to call them later and see if they can tell me why I am still
getting them.

DerbyDad03

Jul 5, 2016, 2:30:28 PM7/5/16
On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 1:44:45 PM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> DerbyDad03 <teama...@eznet.net> writes:
>

> >As I stated in my OP, I called the DMV and they do not list me as the
> >registered owner, but they could not/would not tell me who was.
> >
> >When the ins co took possession, the title and registration was signed over
> >to them, just like they are when a vehicle is sold.
> >

> In this neck of the woods, recalls are handled by the manufacturer, sent
> to the last "owner of record" (purchase records kept by the manufacturer).
>
> They don't get notices from DMV when the registered owner changes...

They may not get notices from the DMV, but AFAIK, they are required to find
out who the registered owner is. This can be done through the DMV.

According to the NHTSA website "Within a reasonable time after the
determination of a safety defect or noncompliance, manufacturers must notify, by first-class mail, all registered owners and purchasers of the affected vehicles. ... Names of vehicle owners are obtained from State motor vehicle offices."

I bought the vehicle used from an independent used car dealer. The recall
notices come from Honda, so at some point they were able to determine that I
was the registered owner via some method other than "purchase records kept
by the manufacturer". I can only assume, based on the wording at the NHTSA
website that they obtained my name from my state's DMV. The question on the
table is:

Why have they ignored my multiple attempts to inform them that I am no
longer the registered owner?

> (and in this
> state, its the new buyer that must register and transfer the title, the
> seller must only file a release-of-liability with the DMV).

It's the same here. Surrendering the plates (or transferring them to a
different vehicle) serves as the release-of-liability with the DMV.

Tekkie®

Jul 5, 2016, 2:53:19 PM7/5/16
ChairMan posted for all of us...

> Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote:

> Yer a sick man, Ed Pawlowski, but I like the way you think
> : )

+1

--
Tekkie

Scott Lurndal

Jul 5, 2016, 4:02:58 PM7/5/16
Here, the plates stay with the vehicle, unless they're personalized.

burfordTjustice

Jul 5, 2016, 4:48:36 PM7/5/16
On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 17:51:31 -0700 (PDT)
DerbyDad03 <teama...@eznet.net> wrote:

> Am I doomed to receive recall notice on this vehicle for the rest of
> my life? (I know about the "10 year" rule but AFAIK that only applies
> to getting the repair done for free and not related to the
> notification of the defect.)

In the time it took you to type all the snarky replies
you could have thrown 50 of them in the trash.

Life is hard, get over it.

Tekkie®

Jul 5, 2016, 5:06:30 PM7/5/16
DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...
My thought is to make an appointment with the dealer to get it fixed. See if
they have a VIN record on it. Call them late before or early on the
appointment day and tell them it is broken down and has to be towed in. Give
then an address of a vacant lot in the industrial district with overgrown
weeds. When they can't find it just reply that's where it was the last time
you saw it X years ago; that's if they find out you're the owner. Or the
addy of the scrapyard. If they threaten you tell them to talk to your
lawyer. I'd also call the NHTSA and report them; you are worried about
others safety... Have some fun.

--
Tekkie

Taxed and Spent

Jul 5, 2016, 5:11:49 PM7/5/16
I consider that one vote!

Meanie

Jul 5, 2016, 6:39:33 PM7/5/16
On 7/5/2016 8:04 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

> Holy crap! Did you even read my post?
>
> How could you possibly have missed the paragraph where I clearly stated that
> I have filled out the card multiples times and even included supporting
> documentation that I am no longer the owner?

Ooops! I skipped over it. Sorry.

DerbyDad03

Jul 5, 2016, 6:44:57 PM7/5/16
No problem! Thanks for stopping back and letting us know. That doesn't happen too often.

Taxed and Spent

Jul 5, 2016, 7:00:26 PM7/5/16
Wasn't that what obviously happened? Holy crap! How did you miss that?

DerbyDad03

Jul 5, 2016, 8:39:45 PM7/5/16
The letting us know of his error, i.e. his *apology* is what doesn't
happen too often.

This whole thread really must be bothering you. You seem so confused by it
all.

Taxed and Spent

Jul 5, 2016, 9:15:54 PM7/5/16

Stormin Mormon

Jul 5, 2016, 9:38:36 PM7/5/16
Is it legal or ethical to apologize on
Usenet? If not, I'm very sorry. My
apologies, and won't happen again.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Stormin Mormon

Jul 5, 2016, 9:40:42 PM7/5/16
Did you even read my question about
apologies on Usenet! Holy crap! Did you
read my question!

If apologies are not legal or ethical,
then I am so, so sorry about that and
won't do it again until the next time.

Percival P. Cassidy

Jul 20, 2016, 5:54:36 PM7/20/16
I just discovered what might be the opposite situation regarding a car
that a family member bought recently: she has received no recall notice,
despite the fact that when I plug in the VIN it shows an outstanding
recall to remedy the potentially lethal Takata airbag problem. Then I
noticed that the recall was issued more than a year ago, so would have
been received by the previous owner, who did not have it taken care of.
So Toyota is not sending out notices every 6 months when it would have
been appropriate for them to do so.

Should the used-car dealer have checked for not-done recalls and have
them done before reselling the car?

Perce

DerbyDad03

Jul 20, 2016, 8:45:38 PM7/20/16
Dealers are not mandated by any federal entity to insure that safety recalls
have been taken care of before selling a used vehicle in the US. They can't
sell you a new car with an open recall, but they can sell you a used one.

The question is "Will they?" The answer is "Not always."

Some manufacturer's dealerships are prohibited by their parent company from
selling a vehicle with an open recall . For example, no Honda dealership
is allowed to sell any car with an open recall. New, used, Honda, Ford,
whatever. If they take a vehicle in on a trade, they can't sell it until
the recall is done.

They missed out on selling us a vehicle because the Takata airbag inflator
was on back order for too long. We found vehicle via a private sale while
we were waiting for the part. (They weren't hurt though, there was already
someone on the waiting list. We had first right of refusal once the part
came in, but we said no.)

Read all about used cars and recalls here...

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/how-recalls-impact-used-car-buyers

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Jul 20, 2016, 10:33:39 PM7/20/16
Yes.

DerbyDad03

Jul 20, 2016, 10:51:24 PM7/20/16
Yes, if they are "good guys" but they are under no mandate to do so, at least not in the US.

It's not for the lack of many people trying to get the "stop sale order" to apply to used cars,
and we are getting closer all the time.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160208/RETAIL04/302089962/used-car-loophole-for-recalls-tightens-up

Tony944

Jul 22, 2016, 1:48:09 PM7/22/16

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
Unknown at address "Return to sender"

bryan...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2017, 12:16:09 AM12/20/17
I know it's been a year since the original question here was asked....and I have read through the comments but it turns out no one here was able to answer a legitimate question asked by a poster.

I'm coming across this because I've been facing the exact same problem. I've been receiving the same recall letters about the Takata Airbags from Honda weekly....and it's been TWO YEARS since I sold my Honda so yes, I've been receiving these notifications FOR TWO YEARS going on three. I'm getting real tired of disposing/shredding them and I think my shredding machine agrees. Theses letters have been evolving too over time and come in all shapes and sizes. They've gone from regular #10 envelopes to the large FedEx shipping envelopes delivered at my doorstep. They've even emailed a notification to MY SISTER WHO LIVES IN ANOTHER STATE. Like what the hell?

So Derby, if you ever come across this, please I'd like to know if you were able to get a solution to this mailing issue.

Thanks.

(PS. the one comment about moving and not telling the post office cracked me up hard but seriously....I would consider it.)

mike

Dec 20, 2017, 2:14:11 AM12/20/17
On 12/19/2017 9:16 PM, bryan...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 8:51:42 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
>> Yes, I know I can just throw them away.
>>
>> 2 years ago a tree fell on my van and it was totaled by the insurance company.
>> Once we settled the claim, I handed over the title and they became the new
>> owner. As far as I can tell, they then sold the vehicle to an auction company
>> in upstate NY, which made me one step farther away from being the current
>> owner.

Dunno where you are, but here, there's a tear-off on the title that you
send in to inform the DMV that you no longer own the vehicle.
If you didn't do that and nobody else tried to register it, you're the
documented owner.
The car vendor can't do that. It's your responsibility.

After this long, it may not make any difference anyway.

Bryan

Dec 20, 2017, 4:28:26 AM12/20/17
On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 2:14:11 AM UTC-5, mike wrote:
It works a little bit differently here....but the DMV here doesn't associate me with the vehicle anymore.

It's on record I was a previous owner (I have called and inquired) but of course, they are bound by the law not to disclose to me the current owner but they did tell me the VIN was no longer registered to the state here by their records. Also, the tags I had on the Honda have been returned and the registration terminated. Another confirmation is if I was still on record with the DMV as the owner of this vehicle in my state, I would've been hunted down already for the non-renewal of the registration and a lapse in insurance (Like I said it's been two years going on three).

The issue is with Honda. I'm not sure how their system works....but I've gone the route of opening a case and all that like the previous poster. That did absolutely nothing.

dpb

Dec 20, 2017, 9:23:26 AM12/20/17
On 12/20/2017 3:28 AM, Bryan wrote:

> The issue is with Honda. I'm not sure how their system works....but I've gone the route of opening a case and all that like the previous poster. That did absolutely nothing.

I've no information on what Honda did/has done/is doing, but if it bugs
you so much to actually really want to do something other than just
continue to throw them away, I'd start by asking the local dealership
service manager if he has way to get the info into the system.

Failing that, are they required to be first-class mail or are they just
bulk mailings? If 1st-class, refuse delivery and write "No longer own
subject vehicle" or such on the envelope; USPS has to return it to
sender if is. If is just bulk mail this doesn't work, of course.

So, last resort, send registered mail with all the info and see if that
would get a human's attention.

All in all, sounds like much more trouble than just ignoring them would
be...

micky

Dec 20, 2017, 1:41:34 PM12/20/17
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 19 Dec 2017 21:16:00 -0800 (PST),
bryan...@gmail.com wrote:

> They've gone from regular #10 envelopes to the large FedEx shippi=
>ng envelopes delivered at my doorstep. They've even emailed a notification =
>to MY SISTER WHO LIVES IN ANOTHER STATE. Like what the hell?

If your sister tells you to take your car in for airbags, you should do
it. She's your big sister, she loves you, and you should mind her.

Bobby Axelrod

Dec 20, 2017, 3:30:30 PM12/20/17
Send them an official-looking notarized letter saying you hereby release
them from any and all liability provided they send you a check for $250 ;-)

--
I don't lie to myself, and I don't hold on to a loser.

Clare Snyder

Dec 20, 2017, 7:30:02 PM12/20/17
Just contact the manufacturer (by registered letter if you like)
stating you no longer own the vehicle and how it wasdisposed of
(traded in or sold privately) with the name and address of the
recipient of the vehicle,

Bryan

Dec 21, 2017, 12:55:04 AM12/21/17
On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 1:41:34 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 19 Dec 2017 21:16:00 -0800 (PST),
> Bryan wrote:
>
> > They've gone from regular #10 envelopes to the large FedEx shippi=
> >ng envelopes delivered at my doorstep. They've even emailed a notification =
> >to MY SISTER WHO LIVES IN ANOTHER STATE. Like what the hell?
>
> If your sister tells you to take your car in for airbags, you should do
> it. She's your big sister, she loves you, and you should mind her.

I'm not sure if you read my original post or the overall post for which all these comments are being made but if you didn't, you should.

These notifications are about a Honda vehicle I had TWO-THREE YEARS AGO. I have an entirely different car now...and no. It's not a Honda either.

bryan...@gmail.com

Dec 21, 2017, 1:00:40 AM12/21/17
I did that already. Twice. Even opened a case with a case number. And I did these within the first year of receiving these notifications after the car was sold. They swore to me the changes have been made and that I wouldn't receive any more letters. Well...it's been a year and a half after that promise and sitting in front of me as we speak is a FedEx shipped letter of the same notification received this week.

micky

Dec 21, 2017, 6:23:48 AM12/21/17
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 20 Dec 2017 22:00:36 -0800 (PST),
Please allow 84 weeks for shipping and handling.

Joe50144

Dec 21, 2017, 7:36:03 AM12/21/17
On 12/20/2017 12:16 AM, bryan...@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm coming across this because I've been facing the exact same problem. I've been receiving the same recall letters about the Takata Airbags from Honda weekly....and it's been TWO YEARS since I sold my Honda so yes, I've been receiving these notifications FOR TWO YEARS going on three. I'm getting real tired of disposing/shredding them and I think my shredding machine agrees.

I used to think junk-mail was bad...then I met today's robodialer.  Good grief!

Bobby Axelrod

Dec 21, 2017, 5:04:40 PM12/21/17
You seem to have missed my post a few lines above....

bryan...@gmail.com

Dec 24, 2017, 4:15:50 PM12/24/17
I think I was trying to respond to someone else that said "call them to change the info they had on file" which I've done already and the posts got mixed up...

But hey....lol. Even I can do what you suggested, get $250 AND end this bombardment of unnecessary notifications, I'd be about that life!

jpag...@gmail.com

Feb 17, 2019, 8:40:00 PM2/17/19
I have the same problem, when I haven't owned the car in over 3 years now. I've phoned them, filled out their cards, and even the people who came to my door saying I shouldn't be bothered anymore after I keep explaining... but Honda still does bother me. As of now I just trash the letters. It's really all I can do. This company is as bad a social security when they came after me for 7 years of fake over-payment's with garnishments of my work paychecks saying "they didn't need proof or a court order to begin collecting". The only solution I've found to problems like this is try your best to keep your name out of the system... and vote for less government/socialism.

tsg1...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2019, 2:47:52 PM3/19/19
Same issue is happening to me. At first I tried to correct the system so that the rightful owner could get notified and have the problem repaired. Now I just throw the notices out and try hard not to let it bother me (although the visits to the front door were obnoxious).

What is really amusing is that the last know owner of the vehicle is Honda. I traded it in for my current Honda. SMH

Wade Garrett

Mar 20, 2019, 11:11:12 AM3/20/19
On 3/19/19 2:47 PM, tsg1...@gmail.com wrote:
> Same issue is happening to me. At first I tried to correct the system so that the rightful owner could get notified and have the problem repaired. Now I just throw the notices out and try hard not to let it bother me (although the visits to the front door were obnoxious).
>
> What is really amusing is that the last know owner of the vehicle is Honda. I traded it in for my current Honda. SMH

Actually, the next owner was the dealer who took it in trade. "Honda"
sells its cars to dealers who in turn sell them to the end user/consumer.

If your traded car was in good shape, he probably detailed it and stuck
it on his used car lot. If not in good shape, he wholesaled it, most
likely to an auction house. If it was a real dog, it went to the
crusher, then sold for scrap.

--
Ever notice the shortage of "armed law-abiding citizen” victim tragedy
stories in the news?

babsy...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2019, 10:54:40 PM7/27/19
Be helpful and don't be an a******.

karl...@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2020, 11:22:39 AM4/14/20
On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 7:13:27 PM UTC-6, SBH wrote:
> A recall notice usually comes with a card to fill out asking if you
> still own the vehicle. Some manufacturers want more info than others but
> generally a check box for "I no longer own this vehicle" or "The vehicle
> is no longer drive-able or was totaled". Then you return it in their
> return envelope.

Hey SBH, You didn't read what OP wrote. He filled out those cards 3 times. Nothing changed. What do you think he can do next? And before you say, "Call the manufacterer" read again. He called them, and will again, but nothing changes...

gfre...@aol.com

Apr 14, 2020, 1:04:54 PM4/14/20
I suppose he could run a CarFax on it but my guess is it was never
titled again after he gave it to the insurance company and it was sold
for the melt weight of the steel. He is the last person who legally
owned it and nobody listed it as scrapped. Just throw the recalls away
along with those "You may have already won" envelopes. It's not like
our mailboxes are not stuffed with trash anyway.

Remove Me

Mar 7, 2021, 8:55:08 AM3/7/21
This is how to STOP receiving vehicle recall notices on vehicles you no longer own.

1. Check with the DMV to make sure you are NOT still connected to this vehicle. I suggest doing this with EVERY state you have owned a vehicle in.
2. Fill out the card included in recall notice - stating that you no longer have the vehicle. Attach any submitting documentation. I keep copies of the title of every vehicle I have sold - the copy includes ALL signatures (buyer/seller, etc.). Make a copy of the card you filled out.
3. If receive another recall notice - again fill out card and state that this is the 2nd request - attach the 1st request and mail.
4. Receive another recall notice - write “RTS - Refused - NO longer have vehicle”. This can ONLY be done if the envelope is NOT opened and if the mailer is first class/presorted first class.
5. Contact Equifax and R.L Polk - these two Data companies compile DMV records. NOTE: Polk is the parent company of Carfax - May also go by - IHS Automotive, Driven by Polk, and as IHS Inquire about the info they have listed for you and ask to opt out!

Don Graydon

May 13, 2021, 5:15:04 PM5/13/21
May 13, 2021
Migawd, it's almost 5 years since this thread was started and it's still active because of people who are being harassed endlessly about the Takata airbag recall. I'm another of those unfortunate souls being stalked and harassed by Toyota -- just got their latest today. So today I called for the 4th time the number they gave and explained that the car in question was totaled in 2017 and the agent, as before, said she would pass the info on to Toyota.

What a curious situation. Toyota not only is obtuse and clueless, they also are quite creative. Each new recall notice is packaged in a new way: business envelope; business envelope with urgent-sounding wording on the cover; flat 8-1/2 x 11 envelope that looks like it might be something important; one of those tear-on-the-sides envelopes so you really have to work to see what's inside.

Sounds like fodder for a Saturday Night Live skit. I'll now try turning my annoyance into some sort of game: trying to guess when the next envelope or text message will arrive; ceremoniously burning each one; or, best of all of course, just ignoring the whole thing. Good night and good luck.

Don

Rick Dockstader

May 15, 2021, 10:30:11 PM5/15/21
Ford is just as bad. First they harassed me for some time and shame on me for not just getting the airbag replaced. The dealer must be making a bunch of cash to be making such an effort. Well I sold the car to my daughter and now they harass her. Now she sold it, (thankfully without anyone being injured by the airbag) so hopefully the chase will continue to the next owner who may or may not get it replaced.

Chris Suarez

Jul 26, 2021, 10:08:40 AM7/26/21
On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 4:15:04 PM UTC-5, Don Graydon wrote:
I haven't owned a Honda Civic in the recall for 10 YEARS and I'm still getting notices almost every week. I've sent the card back at least a dozen times. I've written across the thing not to contact me. I've added extra pages with a letter. I've done everything possible. Their behavior should be considered criminal as they're harassing people with no end in sight.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

gfre...@aol.com

Oct 19, 2021, 6:36:04 PM10/19/21
On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 02:15:32 -0700 (PDT), Mikey B
<mikey...@gmail.com> wrote:
Just throw it in the trash with the rest of the junk mail. My guess is
you were the last registered owner in the US and NHTSA doesn't have
access to the DMV records in Mexico or Haiti where the car ended up.

delin wareham

Apr 8, 2023, 5:35:58 PM4/8/23
This is a problem for me as well.
I owned a car for about three years. Sold it to someone in Canada. I have been getting recall notices for it the last 14 YEARS. I get at least two per month, in both Spanish and English. I used to get calls also but those stopped several years back. The letters make my blood boil at this point -- because I have tried so very hard to correct the record and have been told it will continue indefinately.
I have called the numbers many times. Ford says we are the last US people on record for the car, so they are required by law to send us at least two notices per month, and this will never stop. I have given Ford documentation that proves a sale. I have given them proof from the DMV (where they claim they get this info) that we are not associated to this car and haven't been for 14 years. I have jumped through all their hoops and am constantly told that they have "made a note of it."
BUT THERE IS NO MECHANISM TO STOP THESE LETTERS.
I consider it harassment at this point.
Yes, I can throw them away. I do. I also send them back as Refused / Return to Sender. I have done everything under the sun to make this stop except pay an attorney. It shouldn't bother me, but it does.
Is there any govenment official I can write to that would help?