Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

RickH

Apr 28, 2009, 4:40:31 PM4/28/09
Can anyone recommend a cordless phone system that will work during a
power failure? I guess the base unit would have to have a battery as
well as the handsets. I checked the Staples and OfficeMax big box
office supply stores, but all their phones fail in a power outage as
none have base-unit batteries.

Frankly I think it should be against the law to sell a cordless phone
that wont work in a power outage, but thats beside the point.

Has anyone seen a base-battery cordless phone system readily available
from the usual big box stores in the US?

Gordon Shumway

Apr 28, 2009, 4:50:40 PM4/28/09
It is called a "Cellular Telephone."

G.S.

Kurt Ullman

Apr 28, 2009, 4:54:28 PM4/28/09
In article <0vqev4d8ag14lm883...@4ax.com>,
Gordon Shumway <Rho...@Planet.Melmac> wrote:

> It is called a "Cellular Telephone."
>
> G.S.

I'd have to agree. About the only option would be to connect the
basestation up to an Uninterruptible power supply.

--
"Distracting a politician from governing
is like distracting a bear from eating your baby."

--PJ O'Rourke

EXT

Apr 28, 2009, 4:55:18 PM4/28/09

It is recommended that you always have a hard wired phone available
somewhere in the house for emergencies, as you found, cordless don't work
without power and they also fail frequently. A hard wired phone can be real
cheap to buy but a lifesaver.

George

Apr 28, 2009, 5:12:06 PM4/28/09
Gordon Shumway wrote:
> It is called a "Cellular Telephone."
>
> G.S.

Maybe, but it totally depends on what carrier it is on. VZW is totally
anal about having large amounts of battery and generators for almost all
of their stuff. The other carriers have minimal battery and a few
trailer mounted generators that may have to cover a few states. Lots of
folks just assume that it will work because they have never seen "behind
the curtains". I don't work for any of the carriers but I have friends
who do and there is an amazing difference between the carriers.

George

Apr 28, 2009, 5:13:56 PM4/28/09

For sure, and it is likely almost everyone has one (or more) in their "I
am going to throw this away someday" junk box that could be left plugged
in to the jack in the bedroom that is never used etc just in case.

Frank

Apr 28, 2009, 5:58:53 PM4/28/09
I've got an old plug in phone for use when power goes out. I suspect my
computers back up batteries could also handle. Cheapest APC units could
probably handle a phone for many hours. Big power outage, I start my
generator.

As other poster pointed out, phone and cable companies have back-up
generators also. One of my EPA friends was looking into these mobile
pollution sources ;)

Josh

Apr 28, 2009, 6:15:10 PM4/28/09
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:40:31 -0700 (PDT), RickH
<pass...@windcrestsoftware.com> wrote:

Something like this might be available for other brands:

http://www.zalmar.com/detail-Communications-Cordless_Phones-KX_TCA200.htm

I had both Sony and Vtech phones 10+ years ago that had a slot in the
base to charge an extra battery, primarily for use in the handset, but
it also served as a backup for the base station. I don't know if any
current models have such a slot -- a combination of better battery
life and cheap multi-handset packages (just pick up the other one when
the first dies). And even if it's there, you'd have to check whether
it provides backup power for the base station.

Josh

Tony Hwang

Apr 28, 2009, 8:56:22 PM4/28/09
It's not carrier dependent. It's cordless pgone itself. When power fails
wall wart does not work which inturn cordless base d

Bob M.

Apr 28, 2009, 9:15:39 PM4/28/09
"RickH" <pass...@windcrestsoftware.com> wrote in message

Why does it have to be cordless? You can have one $10 corded phone in the
basement that rarely gets used, but will work when the power goes out.

Reed

Apr 28, 2009, 10:23:48 PM4/28/09
A little work with Google found this model that claims "battery backup
for power failure"

http://www.amazon.com/EP5995-Expandable-Dial-Base-Speakerphone/dp/B000FCA0K8

Steve Barker

Apr 28, 2009, 10:33:38 PM4/28/09

why is this so important? Just go to the wired phone if you MUST yak in
the dark.

JIMMIE

Apr 28, 2009, 10:43:44 PM4/28/09

A lot of cordless base have a plug in for a wired phone. Once I had
one that you could plug a battery into but thought that was a little
silly.

Jimmie

Smitty Two

Apr 29, 2009, 1:39:28 AM4/29/09
In article <XANJl.115189$qO1....@newsfe13.iad>,
Tony Hwang <drag...@shaw.ca> wrote:

What, did you pass out on your keyboard, Tony? I really have to ask,
what is your native language, and how long have you been learning
English?

Anyway, since you didn't notice, this sub-thread drifted over to CELL
phones.

Smitty Two

Apr 29, 2009, 1:41:16 AM4/29/09
In article <9JudnRP24-CnJ2rU...@earthlink.com>,
Reed <re...@rmi.net> wrote:

yabbit, I think that's just a memory back-up that keeps your clock set
and your messages intact for when the power is restored.

LouB

Apr 29, 2009, 3:44:46 AM4/29/09
Get a UPS. A decent sized one should be able to run a phone setup for
days since they are made to power computer systems.

Lou

R. F. Duffer

Apr 29, 2009, 10:08:46 AM4/29/09

I imagine there are a few with battery backups, but you would have to
look around. Try an Internet search. It can find things for you.

Cell phone is one option. Second option is to have a real land-line
telephone that plugs directly into the jack. You can keep this phone
hidden and out of site when you have power. They also come in handy
when your telephone service goes bad and you want to determine if it is
an outside or inside problem by plugging the real land-line telephone
into the network interface box.

Cindy Hamilton

Apr 29, 2009, 1:25:54 PM4/29/09
On Apr 28, 4:40 pm, RickH <passp...@windcrestsoftware.com> wrote:

> Frankly I think it should be against the law to sell a cordless phone
> that wont work in a power outage, but thats beside the point.

You're awfully eager for some level of government to interfere in a
private transaction.

Man up and get an old phone. In a pinch, the handset can be used
to inflict blunt-force trauma on an intruder.

Cindy Hamilton

N8N

Apr 29, 2009, 8:34:50 AM4/29/09
On Apr 28, 4:40 pm, RickH <passp...@windcrestsoftware.com> wrote:

Of more concern to me is that there doesn't seem to be any
commercially available alarm clock that works when the power is out.
Battery powered alarm clocks don't seem to have a loud enough alarm to
reliably get the job done, and most (all?) AC powered ones only back
up the timekeeping function with AC power loss, they won't actually
set off the alarm.

I do have a gas water heater, so so long as I actually wake up in the
morning, I can get ready for work without AC power...

nate

DerbyDad03

Apr 29, 2009, 2:41:31 PM4/29/09
On Apr 28, 4:55 pm, "EXT" <noem...@reply.in.this.group> wrote:

What good is a wired phone if the cable co's modem goes dead when the
power goes out?

A cell phone and a car charger is my backup.

RickH

Apr 29, 2009, 9:47:06 AM4/29/09
On Apr 28, 3:55 pm, "EXT" <noem...@reply.in.this.group> wrote:

My wife "has to have" a cordless phones. I do have a wired phone in
the basement. I just thought since I have to replace my old cordless
phones anyway I'd get something that will work for 911 in a power
outage. I dont really care about electronic features, just if it
continues to work without power.

aemeijers

Apr 29, 2009, 8:44:08 PM4/29/09

I agree. Garage sale season is starting, there should still be a few
real Ma Bell phones floating around out there. Personally, I hate
cordless phones, and would never pay money for one. I have enough
vintage phones in a crate downstairs to last longer than I will, so no
way will I buy something that will last 5 years if I am lucky. I have a
real phone in every room but the can.

--
aem sends...

Reed

Apr 29, 2009, 10:32:19 PM4/29/09

from the user manual at:
http://telephones.att.com/docMgt/public/art/22369/ep5995_manual__r2.pdf

"In the event of a power failure, the charged battery pack in the base
will allow you to make and receive calls from the cordless handset for
up to three hours."

Sadly, it is a "special" battery pack

Smitty Two

Apr 29, 2009, 10:47:01 PM4/29/09
In article <e7-dnaliz_4nkGTU...@earthlink.com>,
Reed <re...@rmi.net> wrote:

Wow. Seems like they ought to put more effort into promoting that
feature, given how rare it is.

There you go, RickH. As long as <insert your electric utility here> can
fix the blackout in 3 hrs. or less, you're golden. But I'm with several
others here in advocating a non-cordless model stashed with your
emergency supply of candles and Dinty Moore Beef Stew.

Reed

Apr 29, 2009, 10:45:41 PM4/29/09

> Of more concern to me is that there doesn't seem to be any
> commercially available alarm clock that works when the power is out.

Oh yee of little faith, see
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wind-up-alarm-clock-vintage-Shaw-smiley-face-USA-made_W0QQitemZ230287655494QQcmdZViewItem

Jim Rusling

Apr 29, 2009, 10:48:48 PM4/29/09
RickH <pass...@windcrestsoftware.com> wrote:

<snip>

>My wife "has to have" a cordless phones. I do have a wired phone in
>the basement. I just thought since I have to replace my old cordless
>phones anyway I'd get something that will work for 911 in a power
>outage. I dont really care about electronic features, just if it
>continues to work without power.

I have an older Vtech that has a battery in the base unit. The main
problem is that it only last about 3 or 4 hours. I just have the base
unit plugged into the UPS that supports my computers. The UPS will
last a long time if I turn the computers off. If you need one that
will work longer than that, you can use a deep cycle battery with an
inverter, or just get a generator.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

Message has been deleted

Josh

Apr 30, 2009, 12:00:58 AM4/30/09
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 05:34:50 -0700 (PDT), N8N <njn...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Apr 28, 4:40�pm, RickH <passp...@windcrestsoftware.com> wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend a cordless phone system that will work during a
>> power failure? �I guess the base unit would have to have a battery as
>> well as the handsets. �I checked the Staples and OfficeMax big box
>> office supply stores, but all their phones fail in a power outage as
>> none have base-unit batteries.
>>
>> Frankly I think it should be against the law to sell a cordless phone
>> that wont work in a power outage, but thats beside the point.
>>
>> Has anyone seen a base-battery cordless phone system readily available
>> from the usual big box stores in the US?
>
>Of more concern to me is that there doesn't seem to be any
>commercially available alarm clock that works when the power is out.
>Battery powered alarm clocks don't seem to have a loud enough alarm to
>reliably get the job done, and most (all?) AC powered ones only back
>up the timekeeping function with AC power loss, they won't actually
>set off the alarm.

You might want to try it -- All of the cheapo clocks I've had will
sound the alarm at the designated time if the power's out and it was
set beforehand. The display is usually dark, but it will sound. My
current cheap clock radio actually shows the time (without backlight)
and lets me turn the radio on/off on battery only, but not all do
that.

Sanity

Apr 30, 2009, 3:03:58 AM4/30/09

"Reed" <re...@rmi.net> wrote in message

A new invention, just for the purpose of power failures:

http://www.amazon.com/Corded-Trimline-13-Number-Memory-210/dp/B000050FZP/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1241074931&sr=1-16

AZ Nomad

Apr 30, 2009, 9:54:08 AM4/30/09
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:40:31 -0700 (PDT), RickH <pass...@windcrestsoftware.com> wrote:
>Can anyone recommend a cordless phone system that will work during a
>power failure? I guess the base unit would have to have a battery as
>well as the handsets. I checked the Staples and OfficeMax big box
>office supply stores, but all their phones fail in a power outage as
>none have base-unit batteries.

>Frankly I think it should be against the law to sell a cordless phone
>that wont work in a power outage, but thats beside the point.

>Has anyone seen a base-battery cordless phone system readily available
>from the usual big box stores in the US?

How often do you have power failures? Is the convenience of not having a cord
all that important during a power failure? Get a cheap corded phone and only
install it when needed. Baring that, get a UPS.

I use phone service from the cable company and am switching to VOIP. Neither
will work during any power failure. During a power failure, I have my cell
phone.

N8N

Apr 30, 2009, 10:20:00 AM4/30/09
On Apr 30, 9:54 am, AZ Nomad <aznoma...@PremoveOBthisOX.COM> wrote:

Sure they will, just put your cable modem and whatever equipment is
provided for the VOIP onto a UPS. I don't have phone service at all
but I do leave my cable modem on a UPS, saves me having to wait 2-3
minutes to reconnect when the power momentarily drops out while I'm
web surfing. (my puter is a laptop, SWMBO's is also on a UPS.)

If I *had* another UPS I would put it on my cable box so that it
wouldn't have to re-download the whole program guide after a momentary
power failure, but I a) don't have one and b) don't care enough about
TV to spend money on one.

Apropos of this thread, I did have a short power failure around 7:15
this AM, so I'm getting a kick, yadda yadda yadda.

nate

Message has been deleted

Smitty Two

Apr 30, 2009, 12:25:59 PM4/30/09
In article <h0jjv41d7rv51fo8r...@4ax.com>,
gfre...@aol.com wrote:

> my Western
> Electric phones will be OK after the nuclear holocaust.

That's good to know. At least you'll still be able to order pizza.

DerbyDad03

Apr 30, 2009, 12:33:06 PM4/30/09
On Apr 30, 12:25 pm, Smitty Two <prestwh...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> In article <h0jjv41d7rv51fo8r5kv9avi9vv2j24...@4ax.com>,

>  gfretw...@aol.com wrote:
> > my Western
> > Electric phones will be OK after the nuclear holocaust.
>
> That's good to know. At least you'll still be able to order pizza.

re: At least you'll still be able to order pizza

Glowing pizza, but pizza nonetheless.

N8N

Apr 30, 2009, 12:50:38 PM4/30/09
On Apr 30, 12:13 pm, gfretw...@aol.com wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 07:20:00 -0700 (PDT), N8N <njna...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Sure they will, just put your cable modem and whatever equipment is
> >provided for the VOIP onto a UPS.  I don't have phone service at all
> >but I do leave my cable modem on a UPS, saves me having to wait 2-3
> >minutes to reconnect when the power momentarily drops out while I'm
> >web surfing.  (my puter is a laptop, SWMBO's is also on a UPS.)
>
> From my experience the cable (Comcast) goes out when the power goes
> out and if it is storm related the cable is the last thing  to be
> restored. TV may take a day or two, data has been more like a week. I
> run a web site hat updates once a minute so I know how often the cable
> modem is out, even on a sunny day. That is why I got rid of my cable
> modem...
> ... I have never lost POTS service in a hurricane and my Western

> Electric phones will be OK after the nuclear holocaust.
> DSL failures are very seldom and of very short durations, based on my
> logs.

I have Cox cable and it definitely stays up while the power is out, as
I have successfully checked my email during power failures before.

My last place I was lucky if the POTS worked on a bright sunny day,
forget about bad weather. Hence my lack of POTS at my current place
(same company, V*****n.)

nate

Message has been deleted

RickH

Apr 30, 2009, 2:31:03 PM4/30/09
On Apr 30, 11:13 am, gfretw...@aol.com wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 07:20:00 -0700 (PDT), N8N <njna...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Sure they will, just put your cable modem and whatever equipment is
> >provided for the VOIP onto a UPS.  I don't have phone service at all
> >but I do leave my cable modem on a UPS, saves me having to wait 2-3
> >minutes to reconnect when the power momentarily drops out while I'm
> >web surfing.  (my puter is a laptop, SWMBO's is also on a UPS.)
>
> From my experience the cable (Comcast) goes out when the power goes
> out and if it is storm related the cable is the last thing  to be
> restored. TV may take a day or two, data has been more like a week. I
> run a web site hat updates once a minute so I know how often the cable
> modem is out, even on a sunny day. That is why I got rid of my cable
> modem...
> ... I have never lost POTS service in a hurricane and my Western
> Electric phones will be OK after the nuclear holocaust.
> DSL failures are very seldom and of very short durations, based on my
> logs.

My Comcast neighborhood infrastructure is their latest version, they
updated the whole town last month, Internet speed is tripled over the
already fast previous speed. We all have business class speed now. I
also verified that I have phone service during a power outage, several
times, by actually experiencing it, the line stays up. All these
crazy posts for a simple question about a phone recommendation are
ridiculous. So what if I want a cordless land-line phone to work
during a power outage? IMO thats not asking much. I HAVE a wired
phone, but I want to replace my cordless units with something with
this simple feature, sheesh.

George

Apr 30, 2009, 2:37:38 PM4/30/09

Traditional phone companies have lots of battery and often a generator
so a POTS line will stay up for a long time. So a wired phone is a good
choice because no local power is needed.

> A cell phone and a car charger is my backup.

You might want to read my response further back in this thread about
depending on a cellphone for emergencies.

Doug Brown

May 1, 2009, 1:03:25 AM5/1/09
>Of more concern to me is that there doesn't seem to be any
>reliably get the job done, and most (all?) AC powered ones only back
>up the timekeeping function with AC power loss, they won't actually
>set off the alarm.

>I do have a gas water heater, so so long as I actually wake up in the
>morning, I can get ready for work without AC power...

>nate

Or just get one of these - no power required;
http://cnn.cn/shop/fashioned-style-alarm-clock-green-p-3773.html

Doug Brown

May 1, 2009, 1:04:28 AM5/1/09
>My wife "has to have" a cordless phones. I do have a wired phone in
>the basement. I just thought since I have to replace my old cordless
>phones anyway I'd get something that will work for 911 in a power
>outage. I dont really care about electronic features, just if it
>continues to work without power.

Then let your wife find what she "has to have"

DerbyDad03

May 1, 2009, 12:13:25 PM5/1/09
On Apr 30, 2:37 pm, George <geo...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> DerbyDad03 wrote:
> >> It is recommended that you always have a hard wired phone available
> >> somewhere in the house for emergencies, as you found, cordless don't work
> >> without power and they also fail frequently. A hard wired phone can be real
> >> cheap to buy but a lifesaver.
>
> > What good is a wired phone if the cable co's modem goes dead when the
> > power goes out?
>
> Traditional phone companies have lots of battery and often a generator
> so a POTS line will stay up for a long time. So a wired phone is a good
> choice because no local power is needed.

A wired phone is only as good as what it is wired to...in my case it's
a cable modem so it won't do me any good if there is no power. I do
have one, and it has helped me determine if my cordless phone set is
the problem or if it's the cable co's equipment - once it was mine,
and once it was theirs. So mine comes in handy when there *is* power,
but won't help if the power goes out.

I do have 12V power supplies and inverters, so I could get the modem
up and running, but I'm not sure how far back into the cable co's
system power would be needed for me to be able to use the phone. I
guess a local outage wouldn't be a problem, but if it was widespread,
I assume that whatever the modem talks to would be down also.

> > A cell phone and a car charger is my backup.
>
> You might want to read my response further back in this thread about
> depending on a cellphone for emergencies

I read it. I'm with VZW, so that's a little comforting.

I live about a block from the local fire house, so I'll drag my
damaged butt over there if I can't reach 911. <g>

Worn Out Retread

May 2, 2009, 9:52:13 AM5/2/09
> A wired phone is only as good as what it is wired to...in my case it's
> a cable modem so it won't do me any good if there is no power. I do
> have one, and it has helped me determine if my cordless phone set is
> the problem or if it's the cable co's equipment - once it was mine,
> and once it was theirs. So mine comes in handy when there *is* power,
> but won't help if the power goes out.
>
> I do have 12V power supplies and inverters, so I could get the modem
> up and running, but I'm not sure how far back into the cable co's
> system power would be needed for me to be able to use the phone. I
> guess a local outage wouldn't be a problem, but if it was widespread,
> I assume that whatever the modem talks to would be down also.

As far as I know, if you have telephone over cable and the power goes down,
you're screwed until the power is restored. The same goes for cell phones
(at least in this area) no power, no cell phone. A standard old fashioned
wired phone connected to the telephone company over telephone lines will
still operate normally during a power failure.

aemeijers

May 2, 2009, 1:33:30 PM5/2/09

One of many reasons I still keep a copper phone line, even though I'd
probably save a few bucks a month with one of those combo deals. My TV,
phone, and (3rd party) DSL all come in on separate pipes. TV is satt
dish, with roof antenna as backup, because it was 2/3 the cost of cable
around here. DSL is on the second pair, since it ain't from Ma Bell.
Dial tone is the cheapest POTS they still sell around here. I have had
dialtone with no DSL, DSL with no dialtone, and of course the satt
service does whatever it wants depending on weather and wind, and how
leafy neighbor's tree gets. Plus, of course, the 8-buck-per-month
prepaid toy cell phone, which is mainly for traveling, and I use maybe
40 minutes a year.

--
aem sends...

Mark Lloyd

May 2, 2009, 5:27:51 PM5/2/09

Power went out for several days here last September (because of
hurricane Ike). A neighbor down the street has cable phone
(Suddenlink, used to be Cox). That adapter has a backup battery that
was good for all that time, but the phone didn't work after 4 hours (4
hours into the power outage) because the batteries at the cable node
ran out. It was 28 hours more before the cable company put a generator
on the node.

The standard landline phone (Verizon) I have kept working all that
time.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov

Nate Nagel

May 2, 2009, 6:55:17 PM5/2/09

Are we talking about the same Verizon? the service at my last place
would go down after a light rain. Seriously. Interminable service
calls and no resolution later, I went with a cable modem and never
looked back.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Phisherman

May 10, 2009, 8:24:26 AM5/10/09
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:40:31 -0700 (PDT), RickH
<pass...@windcrestsoftware.com> wrote:

>Can anyone recommend a cordless phone system that will work during a
>power failure? I guess the base unit would have to have a battery as
>well as the handsets. I checked the Staples and OfficeMax big box
>office supply stores, but all their phones fail in a power outage as
>none have base-unit batteries.
>
>Frankly I think it should be against the law to sell a cordless phone
>that wont work in a power outage, but thats beside the point.
>
>Has anyone seen a base-battery cordless phone system readily available
>from the usual big box stores in the US?

It is wise to have a wired phone for emergencies. No batteries
needed.

Don Phillipson

May 10, 2009, 8:31:41 AM5/10/09
> On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:40:31 -0700 (PDT), RickH
> <pass...@windcrestsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> >Can anyone recommend a cordless phone system that will work during a
> >power failure? I guess the base unit would have to have a battery as
> >well as the handsets. I checked the Staples and OfficeMax big box
> >office supply stores, but all their phones fail in a power outage as
> >none have base-unit batteries.

No cordless phones are battery-powered because cell phones
have the same function and are nowadays sufficiently common
(and cell phone towers have backup power supplies, i.e. are
not solely dependent on the local electric grid.) Where power
outages are frequent, locals hereabouts prefer wired phones.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Nate Nagel

May 10, 2009, 8:36:34 AM5/10/09

I'll get my phone turned on as soon as Verizon's montly cost for land
line services is less than that of my cell phone, and I have some
assurance that it'll ever work.

Until then, I'll take my chances. I can always charge the cell phone in
the car.

joshua.bu...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2016, 7:43:50 PM7/4/16
I guess you must have really thought this witty retort out. In the grand scheme of things your intelect forgot that not everyone has cell phone reception at their residence. There is a reason its called a mobile phone not a home phone, smartass.

bob_villain

Jul 4, 2016, 9:27:22 PM7/4/16
On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 6:43:50 PM UTC-5, joshua.bu...@gmail.com wrote:
> I guess you must have really thought this witty retort out. In the grand scheme of things your intelect forgot that not everyone has cell phone reception at their residence. There is a reason its called a mobile phone not a home phone, smartass.

...although there are significantly more towers today, than 7 yrs ago when this was last posted!

Ed Pawlowski

Jul 4, 2016, 9:56:33 PM7/4/16
Took Josh a while to come up with a good reply.

danny burstein

Jul 4, 2016, 10:35:38 PM7/4/16
Twenty five years ago (yes, back in the stone age) Motorola
had a line of cordless phones that did, indeed, have
battery backup in the base and would work (for a while)
in a power failure.

I had one...

dan...@panix.com

Terry Coombs

Jul 4, 2016, 10:42:49 PM7/4/16
danny burstein wrote:
> In <faudnfwmk8hVjubK...@giganews.com> Ed Pawlowski
> <e...@snet.net> writes:
>
>> On 7/4/2016 9:27 PM, bob_villain wrote:
>>>
>>> ...although there are significantly more towers today, than 7 yrs
>>> ago when this was last posted!
>>>

> Twenty five years ago (yes, back in the stone age) Motorola
> had a line of cordless phones that did, indeed, have
> battery backup in the base and would work (for a while)
> in a power failure.
>
> I had one...

I have a corded phone that I plug in when the power goes off . Once I have
talked with our power company I can decide if it's worth the effort to fire
up the generator . If the outage is going to be less than 4 or 5 hours I
don't usually bother unless it's a hot midsummer day and I need to keep the
freezer powered or lose food .
About cell phones , there is no coverage here in The Holler , and too few
customers to make it profitable for any provider to install a tower .
--
Snag

Taxed and Spent

Jul 4, 2016, 10:59:45 PM7/4/16
On 7/4/2016 7:35 PM, danny burstein wrote:
> In <faudnfwmk8hVjubK...@giganews.com> Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> writes:

>>> ...although there are significantly more towers today, than 7 yrs ago when this was last posted!
>>>

> Twenty five years ago (yes, back in the stone age) Motorola
> had a line of cordless phones that did, indeed, have
> battery backup in the base and would work (for a while)
> in a power failure.
>
> I had one...

I keep mine plugged into the UPS. Don't want to miss any robocalls
during a power outage.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Jul 4, 2016, 11:16:28 PM7/4/16
On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 02:35:34 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
<dan...@panix.com> wrote:

>In <faudnfwmk8hVjubK...@giganews.com> Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> writes:

>>> ...although there are significantly more towers today, than 7 yrs ago when this was last posted!
>>>

>Twenty five years ago (yes, back in the stone age) Motorola
>had a line of cordless phones that did, indeed, have
>battery backup in the base and would work (for a while)
>in a power failure.
>
>I had one...
I ran the power for my kitchen phone on the second line wires, with
the "wall wart" plugged into the UPS that also powers my network
equipment. Works great.

Mark Lloyd

Jul 4, 2016, 11:38:46 PM7/4/16
On 07/04/2016 09:42 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

[snip]

> I have a corded phone that I plug in when the power goes off . Once I have
> talked with our power company I can decide if it's worth the effort to fire
> up the generator . If the outage is going to be less than 4 or 5 hours I
> don't usually bother unless it's a hot midsummer day and I need to keep the
> freezer powered or lose food .
> About cell phones , there is no coverage here in The Holler , and too few
> customers to make it profitable for any provider to install a tower .

I have my phone connected to a UPS. The last long (5 day) power outage
was from last year's tornado, and the UPS didn't help since ALL the
wires were down. Unexpectedly, cell phones worked (except immediately
after the tornado, when they dropped a lot of calls).

BTW, that was just before 7PM and I didn't start the generator until
next day. No frozen food was lost.

BTW2, that tornado was the only time I've been in really scary weather.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Theology: The study of elaborate verbal disguises for non-ideas."

Micky

Jul 5, 2016, 1:40:55 AM7/5/16
On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 21:42:45 -0500, "Terry Coombs" <snag...@msn.com>
wrote:

>I have a corded phone that I plug in when the power goes off . Once I have

I have 3 cordless phones** and a base station with a wired phone. If
the power goes out, some of the fancy functions of the base station
don't work, but the phone does.

**I like my setup so much, I bought three more extensions. The
Answer button one one of the original ones requires more pressure than
it did, and they sell kits to repair those buttons, but the
instructions are complicate, require takign the phone apart!!!, so it
was easier to buy spare extension. Readers know how che.... thrifty
I am, so the repair must have seemed really hard to me.

If the base station fails, I have another one of those somewhere, but
it uses a cordless phone. I have a standard Western Electric phone
in the basement but it's hard to reach. I'd find another phone and
plug it in .

>talked with our power company I can decide if it's worth the effort to fire
>up the generator . If the outage is going to be less than 4 or 5 hours I
>don't usually bother unless it's a hot midsummer day and I need to keep the
>freezer powered or lose food .

When there's a power failure, I just start eating. Ice cream first.
Seafood second. Even after three days, the food was fine. Everyone
in Baltimore wants compensation for lost food from the power company.
I don't get it. No one has a smaller family than I do, and I never
lose any food. Just don't open the door more than necessary.

> About cell phones , there is no coverage here in The Holler , and too few
>customers to make it profitable for any provider to install a tower .

I recently found another computer map program with a topo setting, and
I found out the valley I'm in is deeper than I thought. 60 feet
instead of 40.

I wouldn't notice except I think it limits the breeze. Do you see
that in your Holler?

Two cell towers only a quarter mile away, so I suspect I have a good
signal her.

>--
> Snag

Tad Moore

Jul 5, 2016, 3:57:05 AM7/5/16
On 07/04/2016 11:40 PM, Micky wrote:
> When there's a power failure, I just start eating. Ice cream first.
> Seafood second. Even after three days, the food was fine. Everyone
> in Baltimore wants compensation for lost food from the power company.
> I don't get it.

Send the bill to the fucking tree-huggers that just gotta plant their trees under power lines.

Terry Coombs

Jul 5, 2016, 8:27:05 AM7/5/16
>> --
>> Snag

It's not as much how deep The Holler is as the fact we're 10 miles from
the nearest town in a sparsely populated area of the county . We're probably
a few hundred feet below the highest point between us and town . We have to
drive (or walk) a mile or so to high ground up on the highway to get a
signal . Doesn't seem to block the wind , but AFAIK we've never had a
tornado touch down here .

--
Snag

Micky

Jul 5, 2016, 8:42:12 AM7/5/16
On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 07:27:01 -0500, "Terry Coombs" <snag...@msn.com>
wrote:

>Micky wrote:
>> On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 21:42:45 -0500, "Terry Coombs" <snag...@msn.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> About cell phones , there is no coverage here in The Holler , and
>>> too few customers to make it profitable for any provider to install
>>> a tower .
>>
>> I recently found another computer map program with a topo setting, and
>> I found out the valley I'm in is deeper than I thought. 60 feet
>> instead of 40.
>>
>> I wouldn't notice except I think it limits the breeze. Do you see
>> that in your Holler?
>>> --
>>> Snag
>
> It's not as much how deep The Holler is as the fact we're 10 miles from
>the nearest town in a sparsely populated area of the county . We're probably

That'll do it.

>a few hundred feet below the highest point between us and town . We have to
>drive (or walk) a mile or so to high ground up on the highway to get a
>signal . Doesn't seem to block the wind , but AFAIK we've never had a
>tornado touch down here .

I don't really know if it's blocking my wind or not. Maybe my
neighbors half way up the hillls don't have much breeze either. But
I think one reason people build their homes on the *top* of hills is
to get a breeze. At least I think so.

mako...@yahoo.com

Jul 5, 2016, 9:46:43 AM7/5/16
I know the thread is old...

beware, if you have Verizon FIOS, even your wired phone will go dead during a
power failure unless the Verizon ONT unit on the side of your house has a battery backup which Verizon feels YOU are responsible to maintain.

Ed Pawlowski

Jul 5, 2016, 4:47:14 PM7/5/16
On 7/5/2016 8:42 AM, Micky wrote:

> I don't really know if it's blocking my wind or not. Maybe my
> neighbors half way up the hillls don't have much breeze either. But
> I think one reason people build their homes on the *top* of hills is
> to get a breeze. At least I think so.

I'm halfway up a hill. The reason the house at the top was built there
is because that was the lot that was for sale. Same as mine and every
other house on the street.

pdubbzz

Jun 25, 2022, 12:15:08 AM6/25/22

hgt

Jun 25, 2022, 12:27:40 AM6/25/22
On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 14:15:02 +1000, pdubbzz
<8175432fbb3f485b...@example.com> wrote:

> its called ppl want land lines

You are a bit late after 13 years, stupid.

Peeler

Jun 25, 2022, 4:26:18 AM6/25/22
On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 14:27:30 +1000, hgt, better known as cantankerous

John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
MID: <f9056fe6-1479-40ff...@googlegroups.com>

Clare Snyder

Jun 25, 2022, 11:56:58 AM6/25/22
And just in case anyone still wants an answer,any cordless phone
withthe base connected to a UPS. Been doing it for over 20 years.

danny burstein

Jun 25, 2022, 12:01:03 PM6/25/22
In Ye Olden Daize, as in 1995ish, Motorala had
a line of cordless phones which, they emphasized,
were actually made in the US (hence the name "America"
in the group), and..

and, for good measure, these actually included
battery backups in the base so yes, these could
be used in a power failure.

They also encrypted the radio link, which back then
was a Big Thing.

Mark Lloyd

Jun 25, 2022, 3:01:12 PM6/25/22
My multi-handset cordless phone (Panasonic) works during a power
failure. There's no battery in the base, but it gets power from the
handset left in the base. You can make calls from another handset (or
use speakerphone).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"People call it truth, religion; I call it insanity, the denial of death
as the basic truth of life. 'What is the meaning of life?' is a stupid
question." -- Jackie Mason

Retirednoguilt

Jun 26, 2022, 11:25:28 AM6/26/22
On 6/25/2022 3:01 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On 6/25/22 10:56, Clare Snyder wrote:
>> On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 14:27:30 +1000, hgt <tf...@nurk.com> wrote:

>>> You are a bit late after 13 years, stupid.
>>   And just in case anyone still wants an answer,any cordless phone
>> withthe base connected to a UPS. Been doing it for over 20 years.
>
> My multi-handset cordless phone (Panasonic) works during a power
> failure. There's no battery in the base, but it gets power from the
> handset left in the base. You can make calls from another handset (or
> use speakerphone).

I also have a Panasonic cordless phone. In the past (but not in the
past 6-7 years) when I had plain old copper wire analog phone service, I
never lost my dial tone during a power failure and the Panasonic power
failure feature worked as advertised. However, since the advent of
digital service, with "gateways" (modem + router in one box) that don't
even have a backup battery compartment, unless you have the gateway
plugged into a UPS, you'll lose service even if your wireless phone has
backup power. Actually, FWIW, Comcast has told me that in the event of
a power failure, even a UPS won't help me because their hardware that
runs between their central servers and my building will lose power as
well so there won't be any signal coming in to my gateway. Glad I have
a cell phone with a different carrier. At least they have emergency
power for their cell towers that should outlast a typical power outage.

Bob F

Jun 26, 2022, 1:51:55 PM6/26/22
The guy that informed me that the only way to fix my bad copper
connection was to go fiber because the old lead covered copper phone
lines were not going to be replaced, also told me when I asked about
service during a power outage, that they would provide a battery backup
box. I had to harass the company to get them to provide that but they
did. I is a plastic box that holds 16 or something D cell batteries. I
am responsible for battery replacement.

Mark Lloyd

Jun 26, 2022, 3:09:57 PM6/26/22
On 6/26/22 10:25, Retirednoguilt wrote:

[snip]

> I also have a Panasonic cordless phone.  In the past (but not in the
> past 6-7 years) when I had plain old copper wire analog phone service, I
> never lost my dial tone during a power failure and the Panasonic power
> failure feature worked as advertised.  However, since the advent of
> digital service, with "gateways" (modem + router in one box) that don't
> even have a backup battery compartment, unless you have the gateway
> plugged into a UPS, you'll lose service even if your wireless phone has
> backup power.  Actually, FWIW, Comcast has told me that in the event of
> a power failure, even a UPS won't help me because their hardware that
> runs between their central servers and my building will lose power as
> well so there won't be any signal coming in to my gateway.  Glad I have
> a cell phone with a different carrier.  At least they have emergency
> power for their cell towers that should outlast a typical power outage.

My cable phone gateway has a backup battery, and it is on a UPS. The
cable node at the end of the street has a backup battery as well,
although the last time we had an extended outage, it only lasted about 4
hours. The company brought a portable generator around, but we were
still without service for several hours before that.

I have looked at some cell phone towers near here. Those do have
generators on them.

Last time we has a major storm (IIRC, tornadoes), cell phone service was
unavailable (working, but busy). Maybe too many people were trying to
report the power outage or make sure relatives were safe.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The following talk show contains no dysfunctional families, no
humiliating stereotypes, no lewd behavior, and absolutely no
confrontational violence... we apologize for any inconvenience."

Mark Lloyd

Jun 26, 2022, 3:12:24 PM6/26/22
On 6/26/22 12:51, Bob F wrote:

[snip]

> The guy that informed me that the only way to fix my bad copper
> connection was to go fiber because the old lead covered copper phone
> lines were not going to be replaced, also told me when I asked about
> service during a power outage, that they would provide a battery backup
> box. I had to harass the company to get them to provide that but they
> did. I is a plastic box that holds 16 or something D cell batteries. I
> am responsible for battery replacement.

The deteriorating copper lines were also my reason for switching to
cable for phone service.

That reminds me I need to check my battery.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

micky

Jun 28, 2022, 1:05:23 AM6/28/22
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 26 Jun 2022 10:51:54 -0700, Bob F
I have one of those boxes, that need 16 batteries. I didn't have to
harrass them to get it -- it arrived with the installer -- but I can't
think of any phone converstaion I have that is worth the price of 16
batteries. So far, the Verizon FIOS has worked without any interruption
I've noticed. Several years.

Because of a leaking water main, I think they turned off the water to my
home this morning, but even though I got up at 9, it was 4 before I
drank any water, and that was from the bottle next to my desk. I think
the water is back on now and I never missed it.

Bob F

Jun 28, 2022, 1:38:33 AM6/28/22
Before you use the water, Turn on the nearest outdoor faucet to where
the pipe comes in to your house to flush your service pipe and keep crud
from getting into your other pipes and water heater.

When they turn the water main back on, a lot of crud is picked up off
the bottoms and scale on the walls of the pipes and some gets pushed
into your empty service pipe where it waits to be sent to your house.

John Doe

Jun 28, 2022, 5:13:00 AM6/28/22
pdubbzz <8175432fbb3f485b...@example.com> wrote:

> its called ppl want land lines

I think there was one other suggestion, but...

I have a DeWalt battery to USB adapter (about the size of a deck of playing
cards, plus the battery).

There are also versions available for Milwaukee tool batteries, maybe others.

Would last for days if not weeks.

Snag

Jun 28, 2022, 7:51:19 AM6/28/22
On 6/25/2022 2:01 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On 6/25/22 10:56, Clare Snyder wrote:
>> On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 14:27:30 +1000, hgt <tf...@nurk.com> wrote:

>>> You are a bit late after 13 years, stupid.
>>   And just in case anyone still wants an answer,any cordless phone
>> withthe base connected to a UPS. Been doing it for over 20 years.
>
> My multi-handset cordless phone (Panasonic) works during a power
> failure. There's no battery in the base, but it gets power from the
> handset left in the base. You can make calls from another handset (or
> use speakerphone).

We also have a multi handset Panasonic unit that will power from the
handset in the base unit . It too is on a UPS that also powers the modem
and router plus my desktop comp . I usually turn off the desktop and use
one of the laptops if I need to use the 'net while we have no power .
--
Snag
“Free speech is my right to say what you don’t

micky

Jun 28, 2022, 11:09:04 AM6/28/22
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 27 Jun 2022 22:38:32 -0700, Bob F
Good idea. Thanks.