OT, computer tips.

micky

Dec 3, 2022, 7:13:54 AM12/3/22
Laptop volume: There are programs that will make laptop sound twice
as loud, maybe more, without adding distortion. I googled Windows
volume amplifier . There are a lot of programs and lists of "best"
programs. . Two of the lists included https://www.letasoft.com/ and
Letasoft Volume Booster. It has a 2-week trial period (and the
Download tab says the trial period can be extended) where every 5
minutes it goes back to normal volume for 5 seconds. After the trial
it's $20 to use on one computer. If you get a new laptop you can
de-activate it from the old one and then activate it on the new one.
(Some others have more features, I'm sure some are cheaper, and I think
some are free, but all had for me what were weaknesses. I'll bet if you
need more volume, you can find one you like Also, there are
volume booster add-on's for Firefox, and probably for other browsers,
but the first kind boosts Zoom and everything else.)

Blacken for Firefox. Lately, for some silly reason, some webpages use
grey text instead of black and it's hard to read. Blacken doesn't change
other colors, only grey which it makes black. It's only got 264 users,
not millions like many add-ons, but it's free, pretty simple, I've had
it for a month and it works fine afaict.
Blacken, I think, once generated a warning that it was slowing down
the browser or the computer, but my computer is pretty slow anyhow, so
maybe yours will never say that.. The warning message gave the option to
turn it off, and it puts an icon in the toolbar and I can always turn it
on again when needed.