stickers

78 views
Skip to first unread message

Snag

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 8:05:56 AM11/19/21
to
Print a few of these out 0n Avery 15264 labels and stick 'em where
they'll be seen ...
https://files.catbox.moe/15rz89.png

--
Snag
Let's Go Brandon !

Bob F

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 10:59:31 AM11/19/21
to
On 11/19/2021 5:05 AM, Snag wrote:
>  Print a few of these out 0n Avery 15264 labels and stick 'em where
> they'll be seen ...
> https://files.catbox.moe/15rz89.png
>

Do tell us exactly how trump would have avoided inflation after the
impact of covid. It would probably be way worse now if he had actually
been re-elected judging by how well his solutions to problems worked.


Snag

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 11:08:04 AM11/19/21
to
AAaaaaaannnnnd our Resident Commie chimes in with his erroneous
accusations . FWIW , though you will disagree , the inflation cycle was
started by a combination of Brandon cutting off energy supplies and The
Fed printing massive amounts of money to "stimulate" ie "cause inflation
of" the economy . When energy prices - specifically gasoline and diesel
fuel - go up , the increased transportation costs are paid by THE
CONSUMER . Add in the increased minimum wage which also increases the
cost to consumers , and you have the perfect formula for inflation .

I think I'll order more silver ...

Ralph Mowery

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 11:22:58 AM11/19/21
to
In article <sn8i4u$5bq$1...@dont-email.me>, Snag...@msn.com says...
>
> I think I'll order more silver ...
> --
>
>

I had thoght of gold and silver, but just don't see where or how I could
put a few hundred thousand worth around the house and feel safe about it
being here.


Ed Pawlowski

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 11:28:46 AM11/19/21
to
The stimulus started under Trump so he has a piece of it too. Minimum
wage? Ye, should have been increased a long time ago. The fed $7.25 is
finally forcing people to protest. We like cheap prices but should not
be at the expense of people eating.

Have fun with your stickers. Try not to get caught and arrested for
vandalism.

Bob F

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 11:31:06 AM11/19/21
to
Just as I thought. You have no clue.

Funny how Biden is suddenly responsible for inflation that is world wide.


trader_4

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 12:17:58 PM11/19/21
to
On Friday, November 19, 2021 at 11:08:04 AM UTC-5, Snag wrote:
> On 11/19/2021 9:59 AM, Bob F wrote:
> > On 11/19/2021 5:05 AM, Snag wrote:
> >> Print a few of these out 0n Avery 15264 labels and stick 'em where
> >> they'll be seen ...
> >> https://files.catbox.moe/15rz89.png
> >>
> >
> > Do tell us exactly how trump would have avoided inflation after the
> > impact of covid. It would probably be way worse now if he had actually
> > been re-elected judging by how well his solutions to problems worked.
> >
> >
> AAaaaaaannnnnd our Resident Commie chimes in with his erroneous
> accusations . FWIW , though you will disagree , the inflation cycle was
> started by a combination of Brandon cutting off energy supplies and The
> Fed printing massive amounts of money to "stimulate" ie "cause inflation
> of" the economy .

The FED creating new money to provide Covid stimulus was well under
way during Trump's final year. It didn't start with Biden. Beyond that,
the FED has created enormous liquidity going back years that it has
not reversed, including during Trump's years in office.



When energy prices - specifically gasoline and diesel
> fuel - go up , the increased transportation costs are paid by THE
> CONSUMER . Add in the increased minimum wage which also increases the
> cost to consumers , and you have the perfect formula for inflation .
>
> I think I'll order more silver ...
> --
> Snag
> Let's Go Brandon !

I agree Biden made the oil part worse, occasionally you will hear the
libs tell the truth, they want higher oil prices to force people to buy less
oil.

Ralph Mowery

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 12:33:52 PM11/19/21
to
In article <WgQlJ.76394$Wkjc....@fx35.iad>, e...@snet.xxx says...
>
> The stimulus started under Trump so he has a piece of it too. Minimum
> wage? Ye, should have been increased a long time ago. The fed $7.25 is
> finally forcing people to protest. We like cheap prices but should not
> be at the expense of people eating.
>
>

In a way I don't think that the Fed should have a minimum wage. It is
up to the people to take or not take a job at a certain pay.

If they are going to have a minimum, it needs to be boosted up to a
living wage. Maybe a different one for each state. Some states $ 15 is
reasonable for some that is not enough to even provide for basic
housing.

I don;t know what a fair minimum wage should be in lots of states, but
even here in NC $ 7.25 is about $ 3 less than it should be .

When I was growing up my first job was a bag and stock boy at a grocery
store. Just part time while in school like several others in the same
store. Forgot the minimum wage, thinking $ 1.25 an hour,but we were
being paid $ .10 over the minimum. Fast food places were maned by
mostly school students. Now there seem to be very few jobs that are
maned by school students. Guess that is why I saw a sign the other day
at a fast food place showing help wanted up to $ 20 an hour. That is a
dollar or two more than many of the local factory jobs.

Frank

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 12:39:14 PM11/19/21
to
On 11/19/2021 11:07 AM, Snag wrote:
As expected from Bob and fellow traveler Ed P.

Frank

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 12:48:23 PM11/19/21
to
Low level wage jobs are usually temporary and on the learning curve for
workers just starting to work. If you remain at a low level job for
life, life is trying to tell you something. Maybe if minimum wage is
high enough to be a living wage, there will be no incentive for workers
to improve their lot.

Nic

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 12:55:30 PM11/19/21
to
> for workers just starting to work. _If you remain at a low level job
> for life_, life is trying to tell you something.  Maybe if minimum
> wage is high enough to be a living wage, there will be no incentive
> for workers to improve their lot.

What is life telling you Frank?

Marilyn Manson

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 1:06:38 PM11/19/21
to
On Friday, November 19, 2021 at 12:33:52 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
> In article <WgQlJ.76394$Wkjc....@fx35.iad>, e...@snet.xxx says...
> >
> > The stimulus started under Trump so he has a piece of it too. Minimum
> > wage? Ye, should have been increased a long time ago. The fed $7.25 is
> > finally forcing people to protest. We like cheap prices but should not
> > be at the expense of people eating.
> >
> >
> In a way I don't think that the Fed should have a minimum wage. It is
> up to the people to take or not take a job at a certain pay.
>

Yeah, that'll work. Here's an idea...

Let's make that "certain pay" be room and board for the worker and his family.
No need for any cash payments. The owner umm...errr...I mean the "boss" can
supply everything the family needs to live on.

The kids can do jobs that match up with their abilities, increasing their workload
as they age.

Sound familiar?

Marilyn Manson

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 1:08:19 PM11/19/21
to
It's so, so easy for some people to judge others.

Ralph Mowery

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 1:17:22 PM11/19/21
to
In article <64a294c5-7315-4dd4...@googlegroups.com>,
comawhit...@gmail.com says...
>
> Let's make that "certain pay" be room and board for the worker and his family.
> No need for any cash payments. The owner umm...errr...I mean the "boss" can
> supply everything the family needs to live on.
>
> The kids can do jobs that match up with their abilities, increasing their workload
> as they age.
>
>

Sounds like the old company store thing. You get free or all most free
housing and just enough money to eat left over after a weeks work.

Things seem to run in large cycles. In the 1960's around here you could
leave one job and go somewhere else and make the same pay. Then around
the middle of 1970 jobs started going out of the country and good jobs
became hard to find. Companines could treat the employees any way they
wanted to. Now it looks like the companies are finding help hard to
find and will have to start treating the employees better and more pay.

As I told my son about 20 years ago if you see some other place you
think you will like better, jump ship and go . The companies don't
think anything of letting people go or changing things to be more in
their favor. That cost me about $ 1000 a month in retirement pay when
one company was bought out by anoter and they changed the pension rules
before I could retire. It also caused me to work about 2 years longer
than I really wanted to. It could have been 5 if I had not been in good
health.



Ed Pawlowski

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 2:55:10 PM11/19/21
to
In theory we should not need a minimum. If you look back the past
couple of years and especially the past few months, business is
realizing they have to pay more to get people. I always set my own
minimum and it was far above what the fed or state says.

Also wonder if unions will make some advances in some low wage places.
I've always been against them as they would hold me back but they may be
needed in places where workers have to piss in a bottle.

Ed Pawlowski

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 3:08:32 PM11/19/21
to
On 11/19/2021 12:48 PM, Frank wrote:

>>
>> I don;t know what a fair minimum wage should be in lots of states, but
>> even here in NC $ 7.25 is about $ 3 less than it should be .
>>
>> When I was growing up my first job was a bag and stock boy at a grocery
>> store.  Just part time while in school like several others in the same
>> store.  Forgot the minimum wage, thinking $ 1.25 an hour,but we were
>> being paid $ .10 over the minimum.  Fast food places were maned by
>> mostly school students.  Now there seem to be very few jobs that are
>> maned by school students.  Guess that is why I saw a sign the other day
>> at a fast food place showing help wanted  up to $ 20 an hour. That is a
>> dollar or two more than many of the local factory jobs.
>>
>
> Low level wage jobs are usually temporary and on the learning curve for
> workers just starting to work.  If you remain at a low level job for
> life, life is trying to tell you something.  Maybe if minimum wage is
> high enough to be a living wage, there will be no incentive for workers
> to improve their lot.

One question is where to improve to. Go from burger flipper to Amazon
warehouse? Where are the good paying factory jobs our parents had? Oh,
they are in China for cheap.

Our education system seems to prepare students to go to college for a
degree in Interpretive Dance and loads of student debt.

Scott Lurndal

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 3:50:36 PM11/19/21
to
Ralph Mowery <rmow...@charter.net> writes:
>In article <64a294c5-7315-4dd4...@googlegroups.com>,
>comawhit...@gmail.com says...
>>
>> Let's make that "certain pay" be room and board for the worker and his family.
>> No need for any cash payments. The owner umm...errr...I mean the "boss" can
>> supply everything the family needs to live on.
>>
>> The kids can do jobs that match up with their abilities, increasing their workload
>> as they age.
>>
>>
>
>Sounds like the old company store thing. You get free or all most free
>housing and just enough money to eat left over after a weeks work.

Which was just an industrialized version of Tenant Farming (originally,
"tenant farmers" were called "Peasants". And they were also villeins)
(look it up, it's not a spelling error).

All-in-all not a desirable model when looking at the system from
the bottom up.

gfre...@aol.com

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 4:02:23 PM11/19/21
to
dig a hole in the yard

gfre...@aol.com

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 4:12:30 PM11/19/21
to
On Fri, 19 Nov 2021 09:17:55 -0800 (PST), trader_4
<tra...@optonline.net> wrote:

>On Friday, November 19, 2021 at 11:08:04 AM UTC-5, Snag wrote:
>> On 11/19/2021 9:59 AM, Bob F wrote:
>> > On 11/19/2021 5:05 AM, Snag wrote:
>> >> Print a few of these out 0n Avery 15264 labels and stick 'em where
>> >> they'll be seen ...
>> >> https://files.catbox.moe/15rz89.png
>> >>
>> >
>> > Do tell us exactly how trump would have avoided inflation after the
>> > impact of covid. It would probably be way worse now if he had actually
>> > been re-elected judging by how well his solutions to problems worked.
>> >
>> >
>> AAaaaaaannnnnd our Resident Commie chimes in with his erroneous
>> accusations . FWIW , though you will disagree , the inflation cycle was
>> started by a combination of Brandon cutting off energy supplies and The
>> Fed printing massive amounts of money to "stimulate" ie "cause inflation
>> of" the economy .
>
>The FED creating new money to provide Covid stimulus was well under
>way during Trump's final year. It didn't start with Biden. Beyond that,
>the FED has created enormous liquidity going back years that it has
>not reversed, including during Trump's years in office.
>

The Fed started buying US paper to prop up the bonds in the Obama
administration, in an unprecedented way and we have been throwing
money at the public since then. It is not shocking that when the
supply of goods and services declined, inflation went into high gear.
They should have slowed the input of new money into the system, not
increased it, if inflation was on their mind. We have just created a
society that is resistant to any kind of pain.
When the crash comes, it is going to be ugly. We can't keep monetizing
our debts, increasing the money supply, during times of decreasing
productivity and expect to hold on to the value of the US dollar.
Some day the world is going to reevaluate the dollar and with our
trade imbalance that will be devastating.

gfre...@aol.com

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 4:25:37 PM11/19/21
to
Why should every job provide a living? There are plenty of people who
still live with their families or share expenses with room mates. That
was how I survived before I made a "living wage" Some jobs simply do
not provide that much value to an employer.
Raising the minimum wage for unskilled labor only starts making
automation look more attractive. The alternative is raising prices and
taking your business out of reach of a lot of your customers.
When that business fails, your $15 an hour busboy job went with it.
I heard someone (Bill Maher?) say the other day, going out to dinner
may soon become something only rich people get do. That even included
McDonalds. If that happens the "family restaurant" may go the way of
Montgomery Ward.

gfre...@aol.com

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 4:28:42 PM11/19/21
to
If you have minimum wage skills you shouldn't be knocking up girls and
having a family. I didn't even have any kids with my first wife but we
didn't think of getting married until we were financially stable.
What happened to responsibility?

gfre...@aol.com

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 4:29:32 PM11/19/21
to
If you started with shit and improved your life, why not?

gfre...@aol.com

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 4:35:47 PM11/19/21
to
Unions lost their clout in the global economy. UAW is a great example.
In the heydays of the 80s a high school graduate could make $65,000 a
year with overtime in a job a robot (or a trained monkey) could do.
One of my inlaws was doing exactly that at Chrysler. Now they make $16
an hour in Kokomo and feel lucky they don't have to move to Tennessee
or Mexico to get it.
Looking at the loss of the whole plant, UAW renegotiated their
contract.
Delco, the other big plant in town, is pretty much gone. That moved to
Mexico.

gfre...@aol.com

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 4:42:24 PM11/19/21
to
You do point out a problem. In a global economy, foreigners will work
cheaper than even our old minimum wage. Technology lets them do it
seamlessly
It was pointed out ion the IBM retiree group. IBM India is IBM's
largest employer. We don't sell squat there. They are writing code for
IBM for about $100 a week. Microsoft is doing the same thing.

"Office work" is becoming an endangered profession. So much for using
that liberal arts degree. The guy in India making $100 a week probably
has a better degree than you.

I am not sure exactly where those "good jobs" will come from if you
are not in a trade. A plumber or electrician makes "programmer" money
these days.

Marilyn Manson

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 4:51:59 PM11/19/21
to
Not everyone who is in financial trouble and working a minimum wage job fits
that description. Put the broad brush down. Downsizing, outsourcing, illnesses,
family issues, etc. can all put a perfectly capable worker - with a family - in
dire straits.

> I didn't even have any kids with my first wife but we
> didn't think of getting married until we were financially stable.
> What happened to responsibility?

Why does waiting until you are financially stable to get married make financial
sense? Singles pay higher taxes, often pay higher rent (2 apartments vs 1), 2
cars when 1 may suffice, insurance costs, food costs, etc. Being married can
*save* you money. No one said you have to have kids just because you are
married.

Even after almost 40 years I still kid my SIL that she owes me $1600. I wanted to
get married in December but my SIL didn't have any vacation left and couldn't come
into town until January. That 3 week delay cost me $1600 in taxes.

Ralph Mowery

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 5:58:02 PM11/19/21
to
In article <ep4gpghkig8r70va4...@4ax.com>,
gfre...@aol.com says...
> Why should every job provide a living? There are plenty of people who
> still live with their families or share expenses with room mates. That
> was how I survived before I made a "living wage" Some jobs simply do
> not provide that much value to an employer.
>
>

The value is only relative as to how much one needs or wants the
services.


Right now the garbage collector is a low skill job that needs to be
done. Just think if no one wanted to collect the garbage. Here is
another example of what is going on around my location. They are forced
to raise the school bus driver pay about 2 or 3 dollars an hour because
of not enough bus drivers.

A ball player or singer may make millions a year. They do not really
provide a service that is needed but entertainment that is wanted. We
could do without them but could hardly do without the bus driver or
garbage collector.

In one way I sound like one for a social form of government. Which I am
not. While there is nothing wrong in my opinion of a social form of
government, it simply will not not work because people as a whole tend
to be lazy.


Ralph Mowery

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 6:05:22 PM11/19/21
to
In article <b1b29b39-172f-4937...@googlegroups.com>,
comawhit...@gmail.com says...
>
> Not everyone who is in financial trouble and working a minimum wage job fits
> that description. Put the broad brush down. Downsizing, outsourcing, illnesses,
> family issues, etc. can all put a perfectly capable worker - with a family - in
> dire straits.
>
>
>

Yes, sometimes bad things just hapen. LIke the company I worked for.
At one time over 3000 people were there. Great company to work for and
good pay and benefits. Started up about 1965 and went out of business
about 5 years ago. Being in the textile industry over the years it went
down hill and out of business. At the end there were about 300 people
there. Many of them maybe 5 years from retirement. So here are a lot
of people that have been used to very good wages for the area , over 55
and out of work. Most had no skills outside of what it took to run the
jobs at that plant. I was sort of lucky, retired about 5 years before
it went out of business.

Ralph Mowery

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 6:08:42 PM11/19/21
to
In article <iq5gpg11k4ol6intl...@4ax.com>,
gfre...@aol.com says...
>
> Unions lost their clout in the global economy. UAW is a great example.
> In the heydays of the 80s a high school graduate could make $65,000 a
> year with overtime in a job a robot (or a trained monkey) could do.
> One of my inlaws was doing exactly that at Chrysler. Now they make $16
> an hour in Kokomo and feel lucky they don't have to move to Tennessee
> or Mexico to get it.
> Looking at the loss of the whole plant, UAW renegotiated their
> contract.
> Delco, the other big plant in town, is pretty much gone. That moved to
> Mexico.
>
>

In part I think the government has let us down. Tariffs are suspose to
be in place to help protect the workers. Here we make $ 20 an hour and
have all kinds of OSHA and enviromental rules. Some countries make $ 20
a day or less and have almost no rules. Hard to compeat with that.

Ed Pawlowski

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 7:09:55 PM11/19/21
to
UAW is a perfect example of going too far.
go back to the pre-union days it was tough work and
Ford even had people in the rest rooms to be sure you really did have to
take a shit to get a break. Unions went too far and the auto companies
just went along and added the cost to the cars. Payback finally did
come though.

Seems to be cycles where the unions demanded excess but now you can't
take a break and have tp piss in a bottle. Not to mention how Joe
Sixpack things it is fine for a ball player to make many millions but he
is struggling to pay the rent. We have some screwed up priorities. Oh,
and we give tax breaks to billionaires.

Ralph Mowery

unread,
Nov 19, 2021, 7:45:13 PM11/19/21
to
In article <g1XlJ.13409$G996...@fx31.iad>, e...@snet.xxx says...
> Seems to be cycles where the unions demanded excess but now you can't
> take a break and have tp piss in a bottle. Not to mention how Joe
> Sixpack things it is fine for a ball player to make many millions but he
> is struggling to pay the rent. We have some screwed up priorities. Oh,
> and we give tax breaks to billionaires.
>
>

It always interisted me that people makeing a few thousand a year would
pay a high price to just watch those making millions a year. Same with
the ones going to the movies and people singing.


gfre...@aol.com

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 1:10:39 AM11/20/21
to
On Fri, 19 Nov 2021 13:51:56 -0800 (PST), Marilyn Manson
I watched a bunch of construction people get through the 2008 crash
and there were no checks from the government. When work became
available they were right back at it. In the mean time folks found
other work. My mason was mowing lawns. What I saw that struck me
tonight is I put out a bunch of big motors tonight. I know they will
be there when the trash man comes. In 2009, they would be on someone's
bench being parted out for scrap. No pain, no gain. These people got
lazy and it is going to be hard to get them back to work.



>> I didn't even have any kids with my first wife but we
>> didn't think of getting married until we were financially stable.
>> What happened to responsibility?
>
>Why does waiting until you are financially stable to get married make financial
>sense? Singles pay higher taxes, often pay higher rent (2 apartments vs 1), 2
>cars when 1 may suffice, insurance costs, food costs, etc. Being married can
>*save* you money. No one said you have to have kids just because you are
>married.
>
You know, I never found a woman who said "Lets just get married so we
pay less taxes".


>Even after almost 40 years I still kid my SIL that she owes me $1600. I wanted to
>get married in December but my SIL didn't have any vacation left and couldn't come
>into town until January. That 3 week delay cost me $1600 in taxes.

I suppose you could have had them close the deal 3 weeks early and
still have the ceremony when you had it. They are 2 different things.

I seem to buy all my kids cars. They would laugh if I bitched about
$1600.

gfre...@aol.com

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 1:18:47 AM11/20/21
to
We are seeing some of that now. People were making $1000 a week
sitting home. Every once in a while they got a couple grand more.
It can give you unrealistic expectations.
There are plenty of people who will throw garbage cans for more than a
cop or a teacher make. They just need to want to reenter the work
force.

gfre...@aol.com

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 1:21:23 AM11/20/21
to
From Smoot Hawley to Trump, we found out tariffs don't work. They just
end up being a tax on the consumer.

gfre...@aol.com

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 1:24:10 AM11/20/21
to
If piss in a bottle is drug test, you need to blame every president
since Nixon although Carter did try to back off a little. The unions
are just following the federal rules

Jim Joyce

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 1:26:13 AM11/20/21
to
We can't all go into IT but it has worked out pretty well for me.
Starting salary is in the 60-80K territory, mid-career takes you to
110-140K, and seasoned (where I'm at now) is about 180-200K. Not
everyone wants to work indoors in air-conditioned comfort, though.

Jim Joyce

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 1:29:30 AM11/20/21
to
Some day? I was under the impression that the value of our currency
fluctuated on the world market all day, every day.

Jim Joyce

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 1:40:14 AM11/20/21
to
You just described my first marriage. We saved a ton of money by getting
married. Not having kids also helped at the time.

Jim Joyce

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 1:48:02 AM11/20/21
to
https://www.businessinsider.com/jeff-bezos-claimed-tax-credit-for-children-propublica-2021-6
When Jeff Bezos was worth $18 billion, he claimed a $4,000 tax credit
intended for families earning less than $100,000, ProPublica reports
Jun 9, 2021, 2:32 PM

In 2011, Jeff Bezos, the billionaire CEO of Amazon, paid nothing in
federal income taxes. That same year, when his net worth was valued at
around $18 billion, he filed for and received a $4,000 tax credit for
his children, ProPublica reported.

gfre...@aol.com

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 2:02:08 AM11/20/21
to
On Sat, 20 Nov 2021 00:29:26 -0600, Jim Joyce <no...@none.invalid>
I am not talking about the normal ebb and flow. I mean
"Can you pay me in Pesos instead"?

micky

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 5:02:46 AM11/20/21
to
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 19 Nov 2021 07:05:34 -0600, Snag
<Snag...@msn.com> wrote:

> Print a few of these out 0n Avery 15264 labels and stick 'em where
>they'll be seen ...
>https://files.catbox.moe/15rz89.png

BTW, inflation is world-wide, but don't let facts stop you.

angelica...@yahoo.com

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 5:53:35 AM11/20/21
to
On Friday, November 19, 2021 at 4:51:59 PM UTC-5, Marilyn Manson wrote:

> Why does waiting until you are financially stable to get married make financial
> sense? Singles pay higher taxes, often pay higher rent (2 apartments vs 1), 2
> cars when 1 may suffice, insurance costs, food costs, etc. Being married can
> *save* you money. No one said you have to have kids just because you are
> married.

Perhaps the singles could move in together and pay the rent on one apartment
and share the costs of one car. Not much help on taxes, but these hypothetical
singles probably don't make all that much money.


Cindy Hamilton

angelica...@yahoo.com

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 6:00:02 AM11/20/21
to
Not a drug test. Amazon drivers have such stringent productivity
requirements that they piss in a bottle rather than stop at a
gas station.

OTOH, my husband made a couple of overland business trips where
he kept an old Gatorade bottle for that purpose. Voluntarily.
IIRC his father didn't like stopping every 10 minutes while on vacation
to let one of his five sons pee, so they had to piss in a bottle between
Dad's comfort breaks.

Cindy Hamilton

Snag

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 7:51:18 AM11/20/21
to
Pesos my ass , pay me in silver or gold . Any paper money is likely
to end up being worth exactly the value of the paper it's printed on .
I see silver is up around 25 bucks/ounce right now ...

Ed Pawlowski

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 8:19:00 AM11/20/21
to
Good for you but your first six words tell the story. Not everyone is
capable of it either. Years ago, a high school educated adult could
have a job that paid enough for the minimums of shelter, used car, food.
With a little skill, earn enough to buy a modest house. Most of those
jobs are overseas so we can buy stuff cheap.

Ed Pawlowski

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 8:21:50 AM11/20/21
to
Bezos followed the law and tax code, not morals and ethics. I don't
blame him as much as the people writing the tax code.

Ralph Mowery

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 10:38:28 AM11/20/21
to
In article <9r4hpg1gmjnobhblt...@4ax.com>,
gfre...@aol.com says...
>
> >In part I think the government has let us down. Tariffs are suspose to
> >be in place to help protect the workers. Here we make $ 20 an hour and
> >have all kinds of OSHA and enviromental rules. Some countries make $ 20
> >a day or less and have almost no rules. Hard to compeat with that.
>
> From Smoot Hawley to Trump, we found out tariffs don't work. They just
> end up being a tax on the consumer.
>
>

The government waited too long for tariffs. They waited so long the
companies went over seas and closed up shop here in the US. The cheap
price of the inported goods have gotten the people spoiled.




Ralph Mowery

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 10:51:39 AM11/20/21
to
In article <2B6mJ.749$qz4...@fx97.iad>, e...@snet.xxx says...
> Good for you but your first six words tell the story. Not everyone is
> capable of it either. Years ago, a high school educated adult could
> have a job that paid enough for the minimums of shelter, used car, food.
> With a little skill, earn enough to buy a modest house. Most of those
> jobs are overseas so we can buy stuff cheap.
>
>

Here in the south there used to be many jobs that did not require hardly
any education at all that paid a decent wage. At the plant I worked at
one job was to take a battery power hand fork truck and move big cans
that were about 5 feet tall and 2 feet in diameter around. YOu moved 5
cans from a place about 30 feet and replaced the full cans with empty
ones under a machine. Then it took about 20 minuites for them to fill
up again. A non-union plant, but it required rotating shifts and
weekend work so they had to pay just to get people to do the job. That
job was in the top 10 pay of all the factory type jobs in the area.
There were several other jobs in the plant that were about that simple
and did not require much education.

Now those jobs are in other countries where the people barely get paid.

My dad just had a high school education. After WW2 he took a course in
repairing appliances under the GI bill. He was smart working with his
hands, but did not have a lot of book learning. He made a decent living.



Ralph Mowery

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 10:59:21 AM11/20/21
to
In article <JD6mJ.750$qz4...@fx97.iad>, e...@snet.xxx says...
> >
> > In 2011, Jeff Bezos, the billionaire CEO of Amazon, paid nothing in
> > federal income taxes. That same year, when his net worth was valued at
> > around $18 billion, he filed for and received a $4,000 tax credit for
> > his children, ProPublica reported.
> >
>
> Bezos followed the law and tax code, not morals and ethics. I don't
> blame him as much as the people writing the tax code.
>
>

I don't blame him either . Many of the million and billion dollar
people do the same. It is the way the tax code is written.
If you look at the way much of the tax code is written there are ways
around taxes if you have enough money.

At one time I though I may have to put my dad in a nursing home as he
was getting demensia. I spend about an hour talking to a lawyer and he
told me many 'tricks' to get around paying the nursing home much money
and letting the governmenat pay for it out of medicare.

One good 'trick' to keep the money was the rule said you could have one
car. Not what kind, so instead of buying a $ 25,000 one, you get a 50 or
even a 100 thousand dollar car.

Marilyn Manson

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 11:01:57 AM11/20/21
to
Thanks for not addressing my point.

If you 2 were so concerned about "financial stability" before you got married,
lower taxes and other expenses ASAP should have been part of your long term
strategy.


> >Even after almost 40 years I still kid my SIL that she owes me $1600. I wanted to
> >get married in December but my SIL didn't have any vacation left and couldn't come
> >into town until January. That 3 week delay cost me $1600 in taxes.
> I suppose you could have had them close the deal 3 weeks early and
> still have the ceremony when you had it. They are 2 different things.

They are different from a legal perspective and even more different on an
emotional level. Running off to the court house is very different than tying the
knot in front of family and friends.

A "2nd ceremony" is basically a show. Totally different feel.

>
> I seem to buy all my kids cars. They would laugh if I bitched about
> $1600.

And my SIL laughs every time I remind her. You did notice that I said
I *kid* her about it, not "I bitch about it", didn't you?

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 11:07:35 AM11/20/21
to
So - Ronnie Reagan's Free Trade deal was bad for the USA ?

... or just bad for the working class in USA ... ?
.. big business seemed to love it, and him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Free_Trade_Agreement

John T.

Marilyn Manson

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 11:10:20 AM11/20/21
to
Who was the registered owner and insured drivers?

How did you get it registered/insured if Dad had dementia? Was he of sound
enough mind to legally sign contracts?

Ralph Mowery

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 11:53:30 AM11/20/21
to
In article <9cee6e6f-ff0e-4bb5...@googlegroups.com>,
comawhit...@gmail.com says...
> One good 'trick' to keep the money was the rule said you could have one
> > car. Not what kind, so instead of buying a $ 25,000 one, you get a 50 or
> > even a 100 thousand dollar car.
>
> Who was the registered owner and insured drivers?
>
> How did you get it registered/insured if Dad had dementia? Was he of sound
> enough mind to legally sign contracts?
>
>

I did not have to do that.

However I had power of attorney so I could sign anything I needed or
wanted to . Mother had already passed and I am an only child, so no
problems. I don't recall the legal term , but to get Dad in the VA
hospital that was in town and have him stay there the government man
said I had to get something that gave me gardenship over dad.Had to go
to court and tell a judge and the government had a lawyer for dad that
checked things out and said it was ok by the government.

Dad would be the owner of the car. He would not have to drive just like
the rich people. They own the car the chiefer drives for them.

One other thing I did was that when mother passed I had almost
everything put in both of our names with right of survivorship. That way
when he passed most everything just dropped to me and there was no tax
to be paid on it. He did have a will stating I got everything.

Dad knew nothing about how the banking and finace worked. Mother was a
bookkeeper for a company and she did all the banking and such. I never
did convience dad that a bank had several branches in town and they were
all the same bank. He thought each one was a seperate bank as mother
would just stop in the nearest one when she needed to do some banking.
Dad did not know how to write a check so I had to make sure all the
bills were paid for a few years.


rbowman

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 11:54:43 AM11/20/21
to
Enter the roommate from hell...

rbowman

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 11:56:17 AM11/20/21
to
On 11/20/2021 03:59 AM, angelica...@yahoo.com wrote:
> OTOH, my husband made a couple of overland business trips where
> he kept an old Gatorade bottle for that purpose. Voluntarily.
> IIRC his father didn't like stopping every 10 minutes while on vacation
> to let one of his five sons pee, so they had to piss in a bottle between
> Dad's comfort breaks.

What you don't do is piss in a coffee cup and try to pour it out the
window at 65 mph.

Ralph Mowery

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 11:59:53 AM11/20/21
to
In article <867ipgdh1uvb5f4s9...@4ax.com>,
hub...@ccanoemail.ca says...
>
> >The government waited too long for tariffs. They waited so long the
> >companies went over seas and closed up shop here in the US. The cheap
> >price of the inported goods have gotten the people spoiled.
> >
> >
>
> So - Ronnie Reagan's Free Trade deal was bad for the USA ?
>
> ... or just bad for the working class in USA ... ?
> .. big business seemed to love it, and him.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Free_Trade_Agreement
>
>
>

It was bad for the factory workers in the US. I don't know about
Canada, but With Mexico being able to produce goods for much less, the
industries moved out of the US.

I don't recall, but I was thinking that part of the agreement was to try
and get the wages of Mexico up to US wages. That would keep the price
of goods up and maybe even give the US a place to export some goods.
However it seemed to become a one way street with goods comming in but
not going out of the US and Mexico wages still being low.
One of the things that looks good on paper, but does not work in the
real world.

rbowman

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 12:22:59 PM11/20/21
to
Great if you can run an analysis on the spot. Silver coins when the
Roman Empire was circling the drain had been debased to the point where
they contained less that 10% silver.

rbowman

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 12:31:44 PM11/20/21
to
Reagan also increased the debt by $1.86 trillion when his voodoo
economics failed. His fans will blame the Democrats. If that is true
it's another example of the failure of electoral politics to change
anything. The bureaucracy rolls on regardless of the figurehead.

Frank

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 12:56:36 PM11/20/21
to
Years ago, I guy I knew who did not drive had a son at Johns Hopkins and
his wife would drive them there for the weekend and he would drink a lot
of beer. On the way back she complained that he was always having to
stop to go to the bathroom so one day he brought out the coffee can.
She looked over and yelled, "Howard, get rid of that!"

You can imagine what happened.

Frank

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 1:01:05 PM11/20/21
to
Might mention when we had to put my dad in a nursing home, I had sold
his car. Mom had passed years ago.

Best thing I did before he ran out of money and went on Medicaid was to
prepay for his funeral. As and insurance policy it was exempt from his
funds.

Ralph Mowery

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 1:22:14 PM11/20/21
to
In article <snbd4s$9lm$1...@dont-email.me>, "frank "@frank.net says...
>
> Might mention when we had to put my dad in a nursing home, I had sold
> his car. Mom had passed years ago.
>
> Best thing I did before he ran out of money and went on Medicaid was to
> prepay for his funeral. As and insurance policy it was exempt from his
> funds.
>
>

That was another thing my lawyer mentioned. Do the prepay...

I don't know how the law has changed now becaused it has changed. There
used to be a short time period you could transfer lots of the money out,
but it got moved up to 5 or more years. I heard of a type of insurance
that ran for 2 or 3 years before the law change that paid for the
nursing home to give you time to meet the time requirements of the law.

If you have looked into the nursing home prices it does not take very
long to depleat a large amount of money.

angelica...@yahoo.com

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 1:27:19 PM11/20/21
to
I was speaking of romantically involved singles who move in together but not get married.

Cindy Hamilton

Peeler

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 1:58:29 PM11/20/21
to
On Sat, 20 Nov 2021 10:31:36 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blabbered again:


> Reagan also increased the debt by $1.86 trillion when his voodoo
> economics failed. His fans will blame the Democrats. If that is true
> it's another example of the failure of electoral politics to change
> anything. The bureaucracy rolls on regardless of the figurehead.

Off topic shit again, senile gossip!

Peeler

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 1:59:24 PM11/20/21
to
On Sat, 20 Nov 2021 09:56:10 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blabbered again:


> What you don't do is piss in a coffee cup and try to pour it out the
> window at 65 mph.

Wow! So much wisdom in one endlessly driveling senile shithead! <tsk>

Peeler

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 2:00:33 PM11/20/21
to
On Sat, 20 Nov 2021 09:54:37 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blabbered again:


>> Perhaps the singles could move in together and pay the rent on one apartment
>> and share the costs of one car. Not much help on taxes, but these hypothetical
>> singles probably don't make all that much money.
>
> Enter the roommate from hell...

Driveling IDIOT! LOL

--
Gossiping "lowbrowwoman" about herself:
"Usenet is my blog... I don't give a damn if anyone ever reads my posts
but they are useful in marshaling [sic] my thoughts."
MID: <iteioi...@mid.individual.net>

Peeler

unread,
Nov 20, 2021, 2:03:57 PM11/20/21
to
On Sat, 20 Nov 2021 10:22:51 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blabbered again:


>> Pesos my ass , pay me in silver or gold . Any paper money is likely to
>> end up being worth exactly the value of the paper it's printed on .
>> I see silver is up around 25 bucks/ounce right now ...
>
> Great if you can run an analysis on the spot.

My analysis on the spot says that you are a driveling senile shithead!