flagstone patio next to house - plastic under it or not?

Lyne

Jun 25, 2003, 1:29:11 AM6/25/03
My 1917 farmhouse had a patio poured at the exact same height as the
room it adjoined. This allowed water to seep under the exterior wall
and wet the drywall and insulation.

We just has the patio removed. The new patio is going to be about 3
inches lower. We are going to use those flagstone-looking squares
(18") from Lowes/Home Depot. These will be set on a bed of sand with
either sand or maybe marble chips in-between.

We are lucky that the room adjoining the patio has a tile floor that
serves to seal out the moisture that seeps up through the concrete. I
will put some kind of sealer on the newly-exposed raw edge as well.
What I'm debating now is whether or not to put plastic sheeting under
the flagstone. The concrete patio was 6-8" thick so the ground is
very compressed. They used a backhoe to remove the big pieces of
concrete and the ruts held water for 3 days (but it has rained -alot-
here in the East).

I will do all of the appropriate sloping so the plastic will have a
chance to drain at one end. I just can't visualize whether the
plastic would help or hinder moisture (not water) sponging it's way to
the concrete under that room.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Richard J Kinch

Jun 25, 2003, 1:50:28 AM6/25/03
Lyne writes:

> Thoughts?

What for? In any case, it won't last. Polyethylene doesn't take weather.

effi

Jun 25, 2003, 3:15:00 AM6/25/03
what purpose woudl the plastic serve that the stone wouldn't?

why not go to a stone supplier and get real flagstone?
pieces 4" across, 2" thick, delivered

"Lyne" <ly...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Eric Tonks

Jun 25, 2003, 9:36:27 AM6/25/03
Dig out, slope bottom away from house, lay down heavy landscape fabric, fill
with sand or finely crushed stone, lay stones.

Jim Mc Namara

Jun 25, 2003, 9:53:13 AM6/25/03

"Eric Tonks" <eto...@sunstorm.com> wrote in message:

> Dig out, slope bottom away from house, lay down heavy landscape fabric,
fill
> with sand or finely crushed stone, lay stones.

Agreed - I laid plastic down one time many years ago over some loamy clay
soil. The plastic held in the moisture which allowed the ground below the
stone to swell. One helluva mess! Eric is right on target.

Jim

mark Ransley

Jun 25, 2003, 12:57:42 PM6/25/03
these guys are right one more idea is if you want it set in conc. dry
set stones and level stones, if base is bone dry wet it, sprinkle with
water when done. its easier it will cure

mock Ransley

Jun 25, 2003, 1:48:15 PM6/25/03

Why? for What? Now who in the hell are you talking at, you stupid
fuck? Will you ever use any usenet accepted protocol, or will you
always be just a webtv shit stain?

Goedjn

Jun 26, 2003, 11:52:38 AM6/26/03
> the flagstone. The concrete patio was 6-8" thick so the ground is
> very compressed. They used a backhoe to remove the big pieces of
> concrete and the ruts held water for 3 days (but it has rained -alot-
> here in the East).
>
> I will do all of the appropriate sloping so the plastic will have a
> chance to drain at one end. I just can't visualize whether the
> plastic would help or hinder moisture (not water) sponging it's way to
> the concrete under that room.

Ok, so we know that you DON'T want the water the go into
your house. Now you just have to figure out where you want
the water TO go. In other words, don't fight the water,
help it. What you really ought to do is dig out
under where the patio is, and lay a bed of gravel and drain tile,
leading the water off somewhere. Then make sure that the
surface of the patio has a 2% grade away from the house.

kat

Feb 19, 2024, 10:17:13 PMFeb 19

Bob F

Feb 19, 2024, 11:50:32 PMFeb 19
On 2/19/2024 7:17 PM, kat wrote:
> *BLOCK THIS PERSON!*

And who the hell do you think you are?

Ed Pawlowski

Feb 19, 2024, 11:59:18 PMFeb 19
Someone that replied to a post from 20 years ago. Waste of electrons.

Skid Marks

Feb 20, 2024, 10:01:57 AMFeb 20
A purple-haired alt.home.repair censor? Democrats love to censor others.