Strong unbearable chemical smell in bathroom

Jymmeh1993

Oct 8, 2016, 11:14:04 AM10/8/16
About 1-2 months ago now we remodeled out bathroom. New grout, new tiles, new
floor, new toilet. Since then, there has been a very very very strong chemical
smell in the bathroom that simply will not go away. It almost smells like the
fresh grout but 10 times worse and just builds up if the door is kept shut,
but completely dissipates if door is left open (smell does not go into hallway
or rest of house when door is open, just goes away). I would like to note we
are on city water but not city sewage, we have a septic tank. If anyone has
any ideas on what it could be or how to get rid of it, please help. We now
dread having to use of brand new bathroom due to the smell and it's hard to
breathe the smell. Thanks in advance

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/strong-unbearable-chemical-smell-in-bathroom-1111217-.htm

bob haller

Oct 8, 2016, 12:40:27 PM10/8/16
maybe tthe toilet flange is leaking?

Ed Pawlowski

Oct 8, 2016, 12:46:46 PM10/8/16
On 10/8/2016 12:39 PM, bob haller wrote:
> On Saturday, October 8, 2016 at 11:14:04 AM UTC-4, Jymmeh1993 wrote:
>> About 1-2 months ago now we remodeled out bathroom. New grout, new tiles, new
>> floor, new toilet. Since then, there has been a very very very strong chemical
>> smell in the bathroom that simply will not go away. If anyone has
>> any ideas on what it could be or how to get rid of it, please help. We now
>> dread having to use of brand new bathroom due to the smell and it's hard to
>> breathe the smell. Thanks in advance
>>

> maybe tthe toilet flange is leaking?

That would be my guess too. Most any chemical residue would be
diminished, if not gone my now. I remodeled two bathrooms and no odor
lasted more than a half hour. Tile does not smell, waste pipes do.

David L. Martel

Oct 8, 2016, 1:24:36 PM10/8/16
Jym,

If this work was done by a pro then call him back for advice.
Other than that I've no advice. Grout smells for about a day. If you've
got any leftover flooring then smell it, I guess.

Dave M.

Jymmeh1993

Oct 8, 2016, 1:44:05 PM10/8/16
replying to bob haller, Jymmeh1993 wrote:
Would that have a chemical smell? It doesn't smell like waste or sewage at all.

TomR

Oct 8, 2016, 2:15:44 PM10/8/16
In news:6db1b$57f93061$a2d350aa$25...@news.flashnewsgroups.com,
Jymmeh1993 <caedfaa9ed1216d60ef...@example.com> typed:
> replying to bob haller, Jymmeh1993 wrote:
> Would that have a chemical smell? It doesn't smell like waste or
> sewage at all.

Do you have any pets? -- such as a cat or cats?

Frank

Oct 8, 2016, 2:46:21 PM10/8/16
On 10/8/2016 11:14 AM, Jymmeh1993 wrote:
> About 1-2 months ago now we remodeled out bathroom. New grout, new
> tiles, new
> floor, new toilet. Since then, there has been a very very very strong
> chemical
> smell in the bathroom that simply will not go away. It almost smells
> like the
> fresh grout but 10 times worse and just builds up if the door is kept shut,
> but completely dissipates if door is left open (smell does not go into
> hallway
> or rest of house when door is open, just goes away). I would like to
> note we
> are on city water but not city sewage, we have a septic tank. If anyone has
> any ideas on what it could be or how to get rid of it, please help. We now
> dread having to use of brand new bathroom due to the smell and it's hard to
> breathe the smell. Thanks in advance

Wish this chemist could help but can't.
I googled it up and got a lot of hits like this:

http://www.ehow.com/info_8516606_tile-grout-smell.html

Odors like those in new carpet dissipate with time. New chemical is not
created and what was smelling has to diminish.

I might first try washing with something that contains bleach.

Jymmeh1993

Oct 8, 2016, 3:14:05 PM10/8/16
replying to TomR, Jymmeh1993 wrote:
We have cats and dogs but they don't have access to this bsthroom.

Jymmeh1993

Oct 8, 2016, 3:14:05 PM10/8/16
replying to David L. Martel, Jymmeh1993 wrote:
We did the work ourselves so no one to call really unless I call someone to
come investigate it for me.

dadiOH

Oct 8, 2016, 4:29:25 PM10/8/16

"Jymmeh1993" <caedfaa9ed1216d60ef...@example.com> wrote in
message news:b6c89$57f90d39$a2d350aa$19...@news.flashnewsgroups.com...
> About 1-2 months ago now we remodeled out bathroom. New grout, new tiles,
> new
> floor, new toilet. Since then, there has been a very very very strong
> chemical
> smell in the bathroom that simply will not go away. It almost smells like
> the
> fresh grout but 10 times worse and just builds up if the door is kept
> shut,

To me, grout has an earthy odor. Is that the sort of odor you have? If so,
mold also has an earthy odor.

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Oct 8, 2016, 5:03:58 PM10/8/16
On Sat, 08 Oct 2016 15:14:01 +0000, Jymmeh1993
<caedfaa9ed1216d60ef...@example.com> wrote:

>About 1-2 months ago now we remodeled out bathroom. New grout, new tiles, new
>floor, new toilet. Since then, there has been a very very very strong chemical
>smell in the bathroom that simply will not go away. It almost smells like the
>fresh grout but 10 times worse and just builds up if the door is kept shut,
>but completely dissipates if door is left open (smell does not go into hallway
>or rest of house when door is open, just goes away). I would like to note we
>are on city water but not city sewage, we have a septic tank. If anyone has
>any ideas on what it could be or how to get rid of it, please help. We now
>dread having to use of brand new bathroom due to the smell and it's hard to
>breathe the smell. Thanks in advance

Did you use any " plastic " plumbing pipe ?
... perhaps used the wrong " glue " with it ?
.. just a wild guess.
Can you use your nose to locate the likely source ?
ie : floor ; tub ; under sink ;
John T.

Dan Espen

Oct 8, 2016, 8:07:43 PM10/8/16
Jymmeh1993 <caedfaa9ed1216d60ef...@example.com> writes:

> About 1-2 months ago now we remodeled out bathroom. New grout, new
> tiles, new floor, new toilet. Since then, there has been a very very
> very strong chemical smell in the bathroom that simply will not go
> away. It almost smells like the fresh grout but 10 times worse and
> just builds up if the door is kept shut, but completely dissipates if
> door is left open (smell does not go into hallway or rest of house
> when door is open, just goes away). I would like to note we are on
> city water but not city sewage, we have a septic tank. If anyone has
> any ideas on what it could be or how to get rid of it, please help. We
> now dread having to use of brand new bathroom due to the smell and
> it's hard to breathe the smell. Thanks in advance

Sorry, but your story sounds like a bit of hysteria.
Please don't take insult.

Some other poster provided a URL about grout smells.
The article describes odors grout might acquire over time,
_not_ the smell of new grout.
New grout doesn't have much of a smell.

The part you describe above about the smell being really bad
in a confined space but not traveling into the hallway, is
just not the way smells work. If the smell is bad in the bathroom,
the smell will be in the hallway.

Maybe you should ask a friend or 2 if they smell anything.

--
Dan Espen

Pol...@usenet.com

Oct 9, 2016, 7:14:31 AM10/9/16
Do you guys know you're not replying to anyone? This is another repost
from Homos Hub. The original post is probably from the 19th or 20th
century. By now, the OP is in prison after the police discovered the
remains of his murdered family inside his bathroom's walls. He was
charged and found guilty of the murders, and sent to prison.

Taxed and Spent

Oct 9, 2016, 7:39:03 AM10/9/16
no, it is current and OP has responded to some of the replies.

why don't you know that?

Colonel Edmund J. Burke

Oct 9, 2016, 8:16:02 AM10/9/16
On 10/8/2016 8:14 AM, Jymmeh1993 wrote:
> About 1-2 months ago now we remodeled out bathroom. New grout, new
> tiles, new
> floor, new toilet. Since then, there has been a very very very strong
> chemical
> smell in the bathroom that simply will not go away. It almost smells
> like the
> fresh grout but 10 times worse and just builds up if the door is kept shut,
> but completely dissipates if door is left open (smell does not go into
> hallway
> or rest of house when door is open, just goes away). I would like to
> note we
> are on city water but not city sewage, we have a septic tank. If anyone has
> any ideas on what it could be or how to get rid of it, please help. We now
> dread having to use of brand new bathroom due to the smell and it's hard to
> breathe the smell. Thanks in advance

Eat more veggies!
LOL

In the meanwhile, wood it be okay if Miss Recktum used yer outdoor splat
toilet as a swimming pool?
LOLOLOL

John G

Oct 9, 2016, 8:27:04 AM10/9/16

> About 1-2 months ago now we remodeled out bathroom. New grout, new tiles, new
> floor, new toilet. Since then, there has been a very very very strong chemical
> smell in the bathroom that simply will not go away. It almost smells like the
> fresh grout but 10 times worse and just builds up if the door is kept shut,
> but completely dissipates if door is left open (smell does not go into hallway
> or rest of house when door is open, just goes away). I would like to note we
> are on city water but not city sewage, we have a septic tank. If anyone has
> any ideas on what it could be or how to get rid of it, please help. We now
> dread having to use of brand new bathroom due to the smell and it's hard to
> breathe the smell. Thanks in advance

After two months all smells associated with the renovation should have dissipated. Pulling the toilet and installing a new wax ring is one possibility, but you said it is a strong chemical smell like grout. Maybe one of the products that you used for the remodel is having a bad reaction with another product.

Did any garbage get left inside of the walls?

Is the vent pipe for the bathroom plumbing clear of any obstructions?

Do you have critter problems? Somethings they get into places they cannot get out of and die. That smell lingers for a long time.

Try contacting the grout manufacturer.

NEMO

Oct 9, 2016, 8:29:22 AM10/9/16
You can't use YERS as a swimming pool any more, KKKoloon...you're
RENTED it, remember! LOLOK

Stormin' Norman

Oct 9, 2016, 9:22:58 AM10/9/16
On Sat, 08 Oct 2016 15:14:01 +0000, Jymmeh1993
<caedfaa9ed1216d60ef...@example.com> wrote:

>About 1-2 months ago now we remodeled out bathroom. New grout, new tiles, new
>floor, new toilet. Since then, there has been a very very very strong chemical
>smell in the bathroom that simply will not go away. It almost smells like the
>fresh grout but 10 times worse and just builds up if the door is kept shut,
>but completely dissipates if door is left open (smell does not go into hallway
>or rest of house when door is open, just goes away). I would like to note we
>are on city water but not city sewage, we have a septic tank. If anyone has
>any ideas on what it could be or how to get rid of it, please help. We now
>dread having to use of brand new bathroom due to the smell and it's hard to
>breathe the smell. Thanks in advance

Did you install a new vanity and or counter top? What are they made
of? If the counter / sink is a synthetic, that could be the culprit.
If the vanity cabinet is a pressed wood product, it could have been
manufactured with inappropriate glue such as one might find in product
not made in the USA.

Also, did you install a new wax ring with the new toilet?

Colonel Edmund J. Burke

Oct 9, 2016, 9:28:56 AM10/9/16
And "you're" an asshole.
LOL

Jymmeh1993

Oct 9, 2016, 9:44:04 AM10/9/16
replying to Dan Espen, Jymmeh1993 wrote:
All 3 of us in the house notice the smell, then a family friend came for a
visit and she said she did too. And I know, it's really weird cause I know
smell should permeate into the hallway when the doors are left open but it
just goes away or perhaps with all the fresh air it gets really diluted? I
just know we really want it to be figured out lol

Dan Espen

Oct 9, 2016, 1:12:58 PM10/9/16
Jymmeh1993 <caedfaa9ed1216d60ef...@example.com> writes:

> replying to Dan Espen, Jymmeh1993 wrote:
> All 3 of us in the house notice the smell, then a family friend came for a
> visit and she said she did too. And I know, it's really weird cause I know
> smell should permeate into the hallway when the doors are left open but it
> just goes away or perhaps with all the fresh air it gets really diluted? I
> just know we really want it to be figured out lol

Thanks for not taking insult.

I still can't think of any explanation for a smell going from
unbearable to zero in a few feet.

Have you tried getting really close to the grout and other
things in the room and sniffing?

Perhaps break off a piece of grout and take it out of the room
and see if the smell follows.

Is there an exhaust fan in the room? If so, run it until the
smell stops. Otherwise leave the window partially open.

All smells eventually dissipate. One of the worst is cat pee.
I had a sick cat and it took a long time for the smell to
go but it eventually did.

Google searches for new grout smells, turn up one thread
about a rotten egg smell.
That's hydrogen sulfide. Is that the smell you have?

--
Dan Espen

Jymmeh1993

Oct 9, 2016, 5:14:06 PM10/9/16
replying to Dan Espen, Jymmeh1993 wrote:
We do have an exhaust fan but it needs replaced so don't want to let it run
when we aren't home (needs replaced and cleaned out, big build up of dust up
there and just haven't had time yet) and no window in the bathroom, the
bathroom is actually split up, one side has the sink and vanity then there is
a wall and door to the side that had the tub and toilet in, this is the
section that has the smell. We haven't tried sniffing around to try and find
the culprit yet but we will do that next. We have cats and dogs so used to
having some smelly smells sometimes but this isn't an organic or living smell,
it's definitely chemical or something.

To answer some of the other questions about the toilet, we did replace the wax
ring but we even caulked around the toilet (idk why, we just did so no hate
please lol) so if the seal or ring broke I don't think we would be getting any
smells up from there. We just got back from the store and got some heavy duty
bathroom cleaning supplies with bleach so we will smell the grout while it's
still dry and then use the cleaning supplies and smell it tomorrow to see if
that makes it go away.

Stormin' Norman

Oct 9, 2016, 7:53:21 PM10/9/16
Did you also paint? And, again, what about the counter and vanity?

Vic Smith

Oct 9, 2016, 11:15:31 PM10/9/16
On Sun, 09 Oct 2016 21:14:02 +0000, Jymmeh1993
<caedfaa9ed1216d60ef...@example.com> wrote:

I used some old paint once to paint a room. It stunk for a couple
months.

Jymmeh1993

Oct 10, 2016, 12:14:05 AM10/10/16
replying to Stormin' Norman, Jymmeh1993 wrote:
We didn't paint anything at all, and the vanity is the original, only replaced
the sink in the vanity but it's separated from the shower/tub and toilet, and
the smell is on that side not the "powder room" side (when the door between
the two sections is shut that is)

Ameri...@sbcglobal.net

Oct 10, 2016, 12:21:45 AM10/10/16
I'm wondering if you have mold/mildew in the wall or floor. Every have any leaks or missing caulk around the fixtures where water cold penetrate? Mildew can have kind of pungent chemical odor.

Colonel Edmund J. Burke

Oct 10, 2016, 8:00:35 AM10/10/16
On 10/9/2016 7:29 AM, The Peeler wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Oct 2016 05:29:13 -0700, serb bitch Razovic, the resident
> psychopath of sci and scj and Usenet's famous sexual cripple, IMPERSONATING
> her master NEMO, farted:

>>> Eat more veggies!
>>> LOL
>>>

>>> In the meanwhile, wood it be okay if Miss Recktum used yer outdoor splat
>>> toilet as a swimming pool?
>>> LOLOLOL
>>
>> You can't use YERS as a swimming pool any more, KKKoloon...you're
>> RENTED it, remember! LOLOK
>
> Well, that's bad news for you, shiteating serb! LOL

LOL

Colonel Edmund J. Burke

Oct 10, 2016, 8:01:22 AM10/10/16
Cock?

Stormin' Norman

Oct 10, 2016, 9:32:27 AM10/10/16
On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 04:14:01 +0000, Jymmeh1993
<caedfaa9ed1216d60ef...@example.com> wrote:

>replying to Stormin' Norman, Jymmeh1993 wrote:
>We didn't paint anything at all, and the vanity is the original, only replaced
>the sink in the vanity but it's separated from the shower/tub and toilet, and
>the smell is on that side not the "powder room" side (when the door between
>the two sections is shut that is)

OK, the last thing I can think of that would produce a chemical, not
septic smell would be a synthetic toilet seat. Did the new toilet
come with a polymer seat?

DerbyDad03

Oct 10, 2016, 1:23:10 PM10/10/16
...or a padded plastic seat. (Good call, BTW)

Here's s a link to a thread related to padded toilet seat odors.

http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/how-get-rid-new-plastic-toilet-seat-odor-super-strong-116845/

John G

Oct 10, 2016, 2:55:20 PM10/10/16

> We do have an exhaust fan but it needs replaced so don't want to let it run
> when we aren't home (needs replaced and cleaned out, big build up of dust up
> there and just haven't had time yet) and no window in the bathroom, the
> bathroom is actually split up, one side has the sink and vanity then there is
> a wall and door to the side that had the tub and toilet in, this is the
> section that has the smell. We haven't tried sniffing around to try and find
> the culprit yet but we will do that next. We have cats and dogs so used to
> having some smelly smells sometimes but this isn't an organic or living smell,
> it's definitely chemical or something.
>
> To answer some of the other questions about the toilet, we did replace the wax
> ring but we even caulked around the toilet (idk why, we just did so no hate
> please lol) so if the seal or ring broke I don't think we would be getting any
> smells up from there. We just got back from the store and got some heavy duty
> bathroom cleaning supplies with bleach so we will smell the grout while it's
> still dry and then use the cleaning supplies and smell it tomorrow to see if
> that makes it go away.

Make sure all of your traps have water in them. Pour water down the sink and the shower drain. That should stop any odors coming from the pipes.

TimR

Oct 11, 2016, 2:11:41 PM10/11/16
Is it a sulfur smell?

We had a case where a strong odor was present when we ran water in one bathroom, but nowhere else in the house. It turned out there was a colony of bacteria in the drain. When the water ran it pushed hydrogen sulfide odor out. A cup of bleach down the drain cured it.

connie....@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2017, 11:18:58 AM7/29/17
Dan you are wrong. I had 2 bathrooms remodeled about 5 yrs ago. 1 bathroom is perfect no problems. The other bathroom has the EXACT same issues described
A very strong chemical odor which does resemble the smell of the grout. Its as if it never dried AND funny thing is, the grout which is black DOES occasionally run. And I have black grout stains to prove it. The other bathroom has brown grout. I'm just as baffled so please keep me informed.
Connie

connie....@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2017, 11:24:44 AM7/29/17
I had the exact same issue with a bathroom I had renovated about 5 years ago and it still smells of a very strong chemical smell which I do believe is coming from the grout black grout which still occasionally runs I have black stains in my shower from this grout that still bleeds the color it's almost as if the grout should have been sealed I don't know but it's baffling. And did smell does get very strong in the room in the bathroom when I keep the door closed when I open the door it does help and the smell doesn't seem two be noticeable in the Next Room. Connie

slja...@gmail.com

Sep 5, 2017, 8:13:19 PM9/5/17
I wish you found the culprit. I'm going through this now. Newly renovated bathroom and I can't even use it because the odor is so bad. for me, I have a double sink vanity. The smell is 100% coming from the left side cabinet/sink but after deep cleaning, the smell just got stronger. It's as if the smell gets worse whenever I run water in that sink. And yes, it only smells in there, it doesn't travel to the hall.

Ed60062

Sep 6, 2017, 12:27:57 AM9/6/17
On Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 7:13:19 PM UTC-5, slja...@gmail.com wrote:
> I wish you found the culprit. I'm going through this now. Newly renovated bathroom and I can't even use it because the odor is so bad. for me, I have a double sink vanity. The smell is 100% coming from the left side cabinet/sink but after deep cleaning, the smell just got stronger. It's as if the smell gets worse whenever I run water in that sink. And yes, it only smells in there, it doesn't travel to the hall.

Since it smells worse when you run water, perhaps there is mold in the drain pipe. Pour mildewcide or bleach in the drain, and in the overflow hole. Another possibility is perhaps the vanity was made with bad particle board, in which case a coat of KILZ should seal in the odor.

Ed

Sep 6, 2017, 5:02:18 AM9/6/17
On 09/05/2017 08:13 PM, slja...@gmail.com wrote:
> I wish you found the culprit. I'm going through this now. Newly renovated bathroom and I can't even use it because the odor is so bad. for me, I have a double sink vanity. The smell is 100% coming from the left side cabinet/sink but after deep cleaning, the smell just got stronger. It's as if the smell gets worse whenever I run water in that sink. And yes, it only smells in there, it doesn't travel to the hall.

Don't have much to go on here but I'm guessing you didn't have a real plumber install your vanity and you now have an improperly vented drain.

jker...@rogers.com

Nov 7, 2017, 9:27:14 PM11/7/17
On Saturday, October 8, 2016 at 11:14:04 AM UTC-4, Jymmeh1993 wrote:
> About 1-2 months ago now we remodeled out bathroom. New grout, new tiles, new
> floor, new toilet. Since then, there has been a very very very strong chemical
> smell in the bathroom that simply will not go away. It almost smells like the
> fresh grout but 10 times worse and just builds up if the door is kept shut,
> but completely dissipates if door is left open (smell does not go into hallway
> or rest of house when door is open, just goes away). I would like to note we
> are on city water but not city sewage, we have a septic tank. If anyone has
> any ideas on what it could be or how to get rid of it, please help. We now
> dread having to use of brand new bathroom due to the smell and it's hard to
> breathe the smell. Thanks in advance
>
> --
> for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/strong-unbearable-chemical-smell-in-bathroom-1111217-.htm

DID YOU HAPPEN TO PUT IN A NEW ACRYLIC BATHTUB??....I JUST PURCHASED ONE AND IT STINKS!!...HONESTLY IT SMELLS REALLY BAD...LEAVES A TASTE AND A FILM IN YOUR MOUTH...I'M AFRAID TO INSTALL IT IN CASE THE SMELL DOESN'T GO AWAY.

jesse....@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2017, 1:25:12 AM11/17/17
Jmy,
I am having the same issue. Just remolded my bathroom and I have a chemical smell as well.
I did some investigation and spoke with Home Depot about the smell. What I found so far by me smelling in the
Bathroom and the web is the Adhesive pads / glue on the vanity top. The marble top is glued to the wood and the smell seems to be coming from there. Also HD explained to me that this happens in some cases. He explained that this is a bad batch of glue that was used. The ink beat to know it is bad is waiting a few days after it drys. Of course manufacturers don’t wait. Since this is uncommon. I plan to either exchange the vanity or remove the glue myself and re glue the marble top on the base. If I was you I would start to smell everywhere u can and try to pinpoint the smell as best as you can. Try to remove some things as well.

jazz...@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2018, 1:37:57 PM4/4/18
Guys, same problem over here in Brooklyn. I spent a week assuming my faucet was to blame for a heavy toxic chemical smell that occurred every time I turned on the water hot or cold... after eliminating the pipes the faucet (just replaced with a new one) the supply lines, and the drain, I discovered that it was the cheap piece of shit sink itself!

When water drains through the sink air comes back up through the alternate drain hole on the side... Whatever chemical shit they used in China to seal, paint, or manufacture this cheap fake sink smells terrible. For now I put a piece of tape over the hole and the smell is gone.

Hope this helps! I’m also looking for tips for a more permanent solution that wouldn’t involve asking my landlord to buy aither new sink.

yawar...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2018, 12:22:43 AM11/6/18

yawar...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2018, 12:29:37 AM11/6/18
I seem to have a similar problem. I am thinking it might be mold in the grout. This is because I sealed the grout and the smell along with the dark color went away. However, a week later the smell returned. Also, the smell gets more intense after a hot shower is used. So I plan to have a mold remediation tech treat the grout with Hydrogen Peroxide this Friday. Although I am not sure if it would penetrate the grout sufficiently to kill all of the mold. But lets see if it works. Using vinegar may be another way.

MARY ANN BURGESS

Nov 19, 2018, 8:44:05 AM11/19/18
replying to Jymmeh1993, MARY ANN BURGESS wrote:
I have had the same issue for a couple of years now. It is the finish on a
new toilet seat. The seat is wood with a white finish. I purchase a "Church"
Wood Brand. Smelled awful. I just replaced it with a Kohler wood seat, also
with a white finish. Bathroom absolutely smells horrible! Not sure how to
remove the smell, but this has been the culprit in my bathroom.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/strong-unbearable-chemical-smell-in-bathroom-1111217-.htm

Yeager2019

Jun 1, 2019, 2:14:06 PM6/1/19
replying to jkerr1635, Yeager2019 wrote:
What did you end up doing to make the smell go away? We are dealing with same
issue now, the smell is overwhelming and has not dissipated over the last
week.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/strong-unbearable-chemical-smell-in-bathroom-1111217-.htm

matthew...@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2020, 5:24:03 PM1/12/20
We are experiencing the same exact thing. Replaced tile in shower and put in new toilet. Very strong chemical smell that lingers in bathroom. Not a sewer gas smell.

suzy...@gmail.com

May 8, 2020, 2:39:53 PM5/8/20
You're not crazy hun. Don't listen to that other person that responded he's crazy! I built a 5400 square foot home 15 years ago. And I flipped 11 houses. I've never smelled the smell before. Until today. I'm at my son's house babysitting his dogs. Every time I went in the bathroom I had trouble breathing. I didn't really smell anything. I was getting a little chilly out because we're supposed to have 25 degree weather tomorrow, in the month of May, which is crazy. So I shut the bathroom door to get it warmer in his house. An hour later I went to go use his bathroom, and I literally almost passed out. I had carbon monoxide poisoning before and the symptoms felt a a little bit like that. But the carbon monoxide I could not smell this has a very strong adhesive odor. I left a message on my plumber friends voicemail waiting for his response. So I started looking on Google and I found this thing that I'm writing on. As soon as I find something out, I'll let you all know. I'm using voice text cuz I cannot find my glasses. So hopefully voice text road I was incorrectly cuz I can't see what this is writing lol.

MCS_ RN

Jul 30, 2020, 1:14:06 AM7/30/20
replying to matthewdavisclt, MCS_ RN wrote:
Did you figure it out? I can’t figure it out. It’s so horrible in my
bathroom.

MCS_ RN

Jul 30, 2020, 1:14:06 AM7/30/20
replying to jkerr1635, MCS_ RN wrote:
Did you install it? Did the smell go away? Help me!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/strong-unbearable-chemical-smell-in-bathroom-1111217-.htm

MCS_ RN

Jul 30, 2020, 1:14:06 AM7/30/20
replying to connie.steffey, MCS_ RN wrote:
Has this every gone away? I’m having an issue with this chemical smell in my
bathroom Post renovation. It’s horrible

Coro Gi

Dec 15, 2020, 1:15:10 AM12/15/20

Evie Maddox

Jul 24, 2021, 2:03:09 PM7/24/21
On Tuesday, December 15, 2020 at 12:15:10 AM UTC-6, Coro Gi wrote:
> 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
>
> --
> For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/strong-unbearable-chemical-smell-in-bathroom-1111217-.htm
This thread is really old, but just wanted to add... we can't all smell each other's bathrooms, but I know mine is giving of a scent that is sometimes stronger than other times. I tiled the shower walls a year ago, and it is from the grout. It smells exactly like the scent that comes from the plaster of paris and air dry clay I sell at work. I leave my bathroom door open, so maybe it would be worse if I closed it up. But it definitely is strong when I get in the shower.

micky

Jul 24, 2021, 4:29:00 PM7/24/21
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 24 Jul 2021 11:03:06 -0700 (PDT), Evie
Maddox <eviema...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 15, 2020 at 12:15:10 AM UTC-6, Coro Gi wrote:
>> ???????
>>
>> --
>> For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/strong-unbearable-chemical-smell-in-bathroom-1111217-.htm
>This thread is really old, but just wanted to add... we can't all smell each other's bathrooms, but I know mine is giving of a scent that is sometimes stronger than other times. I tiled the shower walls a year ago, and it is from the grout. It smells exactly like the scent that comes from the plaster of paris and air dry clay I sell at work. I leave my bathroom door open, so maybe it would be worse if I closed it up. But it definitely is strong when I get in the shower.

Is it possible your father was Man of Paris and your mother was Plaster
Woman? They were famous souperheroes who disappeared about 40 years
ago and may have married and gone into seclusion. Check ancestry.com.
You may be bringing the smell with you into the shower. What is your
brother's name?

Jim Joyce

Jul 24, 2021, 6:34:03 PM7/24/21
I saw one of those home improvement shows recently where the homeowner
attempts a major remodeling job but gets in over his or her head, so the
star of the show swoops in to save the day. One of the homeowner complaints
was a strong sewer smell in the bathroom. It turned out that the sewer pipe
in the crawlspace under the house had been broken for years and the raw
sewage was just dumping onto the ground under the house.

Tekkie©

Jul 26, 2021, 3:55:56 PM7/26/21

On Sat, 24 Jul 2021 16:28:53 -0400, micky posted for all of us to digest...
Your post is not helpful in the least. You should be ashamed of yourself.

--
Tekkie

annamce

Sep 12, 2021, 10:45:08 AM9/12/21
I recently had a new toilet installed (nothing else done) and my bathroom smells like strong chemicals. Did you ever find out what was wrong with yours? I have a suspicion that it is the chemicals in the wax seal that are causing the smell. My plumber is being a jerk about it. I will probably hire a new plumber to come diagnose but thought I would see if you have had any success in figuring out where the smell is coming from.

Tekkie©

Sep 13, 2021, 5:13:06 PM9/13/21

On Sun, 12 Sep 2021 14:45:03 +0000, annamce posted for all of us to digest...

> I recently had a new toilet installed (nothing else done) and my bathroom smells like strong chemicals. Did you ever find out what was wrong with yours? I have a suspicion that it is the chemicals in the wax seal that are causing the smell. My plumber is being a jerk about it. I will probably hire a new plumber to come diagnose
but thought I would see if you have had any success in figuring out where the smell is coming from.

Seeing as you posted twice-why not call the person back that did the
installation?

--
Tekkie

Lin2021

Nov 14, 2021, 11:01:49 AM11/14/21
Same issue here, smell is strong when the door is left closed and allowed to build up. Bathroom was done 1.5 mos ago. I'm certain it's the Durock brand cement board. That's when I noticed the smell once this was installed, and this was pre-tile obviously. Couldn't even enter bathroom at that point; told installer Durock smell was unbearable. Installer told me once the tile/mortar goes up I wouldn't be able to smell the Durock anymore. Not true, it's a strong plastic/chemical/adhesive like smell. Went to Lowes to confirm the smell again and sure enough their boards smell like plastic/adhesive. They also have a Prop 65 Cancer warning sticker on each board, so could contain a cancer-causing adhesive, or something of sort. Next to it was the Hardibacker, and I noticed no smell on those boards. Considering tearing out tile/mortar/cement boards and doing over with hardibacker brand. Have read in other forums of tile contractors who dislike the Durock due to smell (and way it cuts). Anyone have luck with the intensity of the offgassing going down to where you no longer smell when doors are closed and smell allowed to build up? If so, how long did that take for you?

Lin2021

Nov 14, 2021, 11:01:56 AM11/14/21
Hello, I know this post was years ago, but I found it b/c the same exact issue has happened with our new bath. However, I'd say that while the smell does build up when door closed, I think when the door is open it dissapates just as much but b/c there's so much more air the smell goes into, it's not noticeable. I am quite sure it's the Durock cement board, because when it went up is when I noticed the smell, it was not there prior, and this was before the entry of tile and grout. I'm debating to tear it all out and start fresh, but am interested in hearing if it improved for you over time (with the door closed and smell building up)? I wonder how long this product off-gasses and if the yucky plastic-y smell is harmful for us to breathe in. I noticed yesterday in Lowes the other Hardibacker cement board did not have a strong smell but the Durock is just awful and toxic smelling, with a Prop 65 cancer warning sticker right on the board. If you have any input into if it got better after a certain period of time or if it still smells when allowed to build up, I'd be most grateful. I hope it worked out for you in the end. Best, Sarah

Ross Todorovic

Nov 22, 2021, 11:09:09 AM11/22/21
On Friday, May 8, 2020 at 2:39:53 PM UTC-4, suzy...@gmail.com wrote:
> You're not crazy hun. Don't listen to that other person that responded he's crazy! I built a 5400 square foot home 15 years ago. And I flipped 11 houses. I've never smelled the smell before. Until today. I'm at my son's house babysitting his dogs. Every time I went in the bathroom I had trouble breathing. I didn't really smell anything. I was getting a little chilly out because we're supposed to have 25 degree weather tomorrow, in the month of May, which is crazy. So I shut the bathroom door to get it warmer in his house. An hour later I went to go use his bathroom, and I literally almost passed out. I had carbon monoxide poisoning before and the symptoms felt a a little bit like that. But the carbon monoxide I could not smell this has a very strong adhesive odor. I left a message on my plumber friends voicemail waiting for his response. So I started looking on Google and I found this thing that I'm writing on. As soon as I find something out, I'll let you all know. I'm using voice text cuz I cannot find my glasses. So hopefully voice text road I was incorrectly cuz I can't see what this is writing lol.

Hey everyone that may read this. I'm currently renovating my bathroom, I ripped out the old tub and old tub wall surround with tiles ready to install new. Put the new tub in and got all set with 2x4 studds ready to install new drywall. I went and bought Durock cement board thinking this is the way to do it. Its apparently better for tub and shower surrounds. Not sure if anyone has worked with Durock... but I'm telling you that stuff is STINKY!!! It's so powerful ... smells like a bad version of pinesol furniture cleaner. The boards sat in my living room for about 2-3 days before I was able to install them. Finally got them on the wall in the bathroom last night and let me tell you .... the smell in the bathroom is enough to give you brain damage. I'm wondering now, even after all the tiles and thinset which will applied, that there might be a possibility that the smell gets through the tiles/tile grout and manage to start to stink up the bathroom. I'm seriously considering taking them down now. Especially after reading this thread.

Ross Todorovic

Nov 22, 2021, 11:09:25 AM11/22/21
On Saturday, October 8, 2016 at 11:14:04 AM UTC-4, Jymmeh1993 wrote:
> About 1-2 months ago now we remodeled out bathroom. New grout, new tiles, new
> floor, new toilet. Since then, there has been a very very very strong chemical
> smell in the bathroom that simply will not go away. It almost smells like the
> fresh grout but 10 times worse and just builds up if the door is kept shut,
> but completely dissipates if door is left open (smell does not go into hallway
> or rest of house when door is open, just goes away). I would like to note we
> are on city water but not city sewage, we have a septic tank. If anyone has
> any ideas on what it could be or how to get rid of it, please help. We now
> dread having to use of brand new bathroom due to the smell and it's hard to
> breathe the smell. Thanks in advance
>
> --
> for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/strong-unbearable-chemical-smell-in-bathroom-1111217-.htm

Bob F

Nov 22, 2021, 12:54:12 PM11/22/21
You could coat the board with redgard to seal the surface, but the smell
might still get through the wall space and leak into the house.

I never had any such problem years ago when I used Durock. I wonder if
they changed the material.

What does the manufacturer have to say about this problem? You certainly
should call them.

I have used hardieboard more recently, and have never had such a problem
with that.

Lin2021

Nov 22, 2021, 1:01:44 PM11/22/21
Hi, I hope someone else with this past experience can offer their thoughts for you/us as to if the smell from the Durock ever went away after job completed. For us it is now ~2 months completed and when I close the door the smell still builds up. How long it takes to off-gas is my question, especially now that there is the tile/mortar barrier. I can tell you after ~2 months the smell is still there, maybe not AS strong, but strong. We'll likely end up ripping out tile/Durock soon and start over with Hardibacker. Sad to have to tear out an expensive job, but w/ a smell so chemical-like you have to wonder how that affects health. Our bath window remains open and door stays shut. When I close windows the smell builds up over several hours. I wish we had ripped it out at the stage you're in, w/ so much less demo work. I hope others who also have this experience can give their thoughts too. Keep us posted as to what you end up doing once you do all your research!

Bob F

Nov 22, 2021, 1:11:22 PM11/22/21
On 11/22/2021 10:01 AM, Lin2021 wrote:
> Hi, I hope someone else with this past experience can offer their
> thoughts for you/us as to if the smell from the Durock ever went away
> after job completed. For us it is now ~2 months completed and when I
> close the door the smell still builds up. How long it takes to off-gas
> is my question, especially now that there is the tile/mortar barrier. I
> can tell you after ~2 months the smell is still there, maybe not AS
> strong, but strong. We'll likely end up ripping out tile/Durock soon and
> start over with Hardibacker. Sad to have to tear out an expensive job,
> but w/ a smell so chemical-like you have to wonder how that affects
> health. Our bath window remains open and door stays shut. When I close
> windows the smell builds up over several hours. I wish we had ripped it
> out at the stage you're in, w/ so much less demo work. I hope others who
> also have this experience can give their thoughts too. Keep us posted as
> to what you end up doing once you do all your research!

What did the manufacturer say to you when you called them about the problem?

gfre...@aol.com

Nov 22, 2021, 1:16:05 PM11/22/21
I never noticed it with the cement board either. It should outgas and
be OK in a while tho.
Maybe the stuff I got sat around a warehouse long enough to get the
stink out. The one that got me was particle board. I used some for
underlayment and it took 6 months to stop stinking.

Lin2021

Nov 22, 2021, 6:45:08 PM11/22/21
Thanks for these replies. Next time you're at the big stores you should smell the Durock, I can't imagine you wouldn't find it powerful. When I get close to the Hardiboard next to it (the one with the squares) it has almost no smell. And yes to the particleboard someone mentioned, I have found that too. Some of the fiberboard used in the backs of cabinets is bothersome to me too. Real potent stuff, I'm guessing adhesives. I envy the above commenter with the same issue that only has to rip out the Durock. Mine has 12 x 24 tile and mortar on it, so I'm full demo. Do wonder what it'll be like, the previous demo was old smaller tile with mud/mesh - very messy.

Retirednoguilt

Nov 23, 2021, 9:54:17 AM11/23/21
If you examine the safety data sheet:

https://www.usg.com/content/dam/USG_Marketing_Communications/united_states/sds/usg-durock-cement-board-sds-en-14000010001.pdf

you'll get a real education. No wonder you sense obnoxious odors and are
feeling poorly. No saying how long it would take for all that volatile
stuff to fully off-gas.

build....@yahoo.com

Dec 16, 2022, 3:56:44 PM12/16/22

Well a year has passed and it's time to bump this thread. Summary of above: no one knows. Suspects include toilets, toilet seats (especially the squishy ones), seals, poorly made sinks, grout, and the cement board brand Durock. But no one has posted a definitive answer or solution.

I am the contractor, and my renovation from about three months ago has a persistent lingering, but intermittent chemical smell. Not septic. Not sulpher. It's not the water. It's not the Ptrap or pvc related. The smell is most similar to wet kitchen/bath silicone caulk, but that's not a perfect description. The smell is strong and unpleasant when it is present. I have not yet discovered a causal link to bathroom activity/use and the presence/absence of the smell. It is bad, and I want a solution.

Shower was a full gut due to mold remediation. Rest of the bathroom had all sheetrock removed up to about 2', vanity removed. Floor tile stayed, toilet stayed, ceiling stayed. Old exhaust/fan/heat was replaced with new, ducted properly. All old insulation was removed from shower area and exposed studs. Room was sterile and passed its mold test, I got the green light to start the rebuild.

New custom fiberglass shower pan. Those always smell overpowering, for a few days, and this one was the same. After about a week cure (smell gone) we passed a 24hr flood test. New fiberglass bat insulation. New Hardi backer cement board (NOT Durock) in shower and new drywall everywhere else. Red-gard waterproofing applied over cement board, fully cured to red. Then normal tile/grout, glass shower door (the old one, reused), re-assemble vanity that was removed and mold-cleaned, sink is hammered copper so it doesn't smell, no overflow.

I've got nothing. Even though the toilet is original and unchanged, and I reused the glass shower door/panel, this smell is new. It did not exist before my renovation. I've done fifty or so bathrooms myself, and been on teams doing many more and never come across this issue. I know about VOCs, I know some products STINK but it always goes away after two to ten days, and this project is several months old. Obviously I have run the exhaust fan and it helps, a bit. But the smell is intermittent, and today it was there again. Ugh.

Thomas

Dec 16, 2022, 7:03:47 PM12/16/22
Is there anything outside that might be sucked inside when the exhaust fan is on?
If the bathroom is good, look elsewhere. There is always an answer.
Plastic film on a light?

rbowman

Dec 16, 2022, 8:45:33 PM12/16/22
On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 12:56:40 -0800 (PST), build....@yahoo.com wrote:

> The smell is most similar to wet kitchen/bath silicone caulk, but that's
> not a perfect description.

Do you mean the acetic acid smell that some RTV compounds produce during
curing? Are they using vinegar for anything? There is a bacterial tree
infection called wetwood that gives off a vinegar smell but I don't think
it affects seasoned wood like dry rot.

Peter

Dec 17, 2022, 7:38:44 AM12/17/22
Is there any place you might have missed during renovation that could be
moldy? I've noticed the uncured caulk vinegar-like odor you describe
when I've encountered moldy rugs, towels, etc.

build....@yahoo.com

Jan 2, 2023, 1:51:03 PM1/2/23
Thx for replies. It is not moldy, or septic, or vinegar. I can confirm the smell is coming from the shower P trap (2" pvc, in concrete slab). The smell is exactly like wet fiberglass that hasn't cured yet. The Ptrap is not clogged (ten gallons from buckets drain smoothly and quickly), and the Ptrap does hold water properly.
During renovation, a custom fiberglass shower pan was built by a contractor - that smelled horrible for a couple days, then cleared up, which is typical for fiberglass work. BUT the Ptrap still smells like fiberglass, and it's been several months. I've never heard of fiberglass failing to cure, but that's my best guess now. Thoughts?

SJ

Jan 3, 2023, 3:01:42 PM1/3/23
We've ripped out a bathroom due to smell, so I know the frustration w/ trying to figure it out. Could it be the pvc cement in the Ptrap? Our issue was Durock. And with the new bathroom the smell of the wall grout was strong for a while, probably still is but I don't shut the door often to let it accumulate. Let us know if you figure it out.

Shawna Harty

Feb 8, 2023, 7:08:32 PM2/8/23
Hi Everyone. I see many people are experiencing similar things. We just built a house and moved in 6 months ago. Two bathrooms that share a wall have this "wet cement/chemical" smell in them. When we close the bathroom doors, the smell gets worse. I have ran the exhaust fan, opened the windows, hired plumbers to check for sewer gas, and have done multiple smoke tests. We have also done mold testing, which was negative. We cannot find the culprit. I am convinced it has something to do with the durock. I can smell the strong odor coming from the shower faucet handle and an outlet located on the same wall. The durock was waterproofed as well. Even though the bathrooms share a wall, one bathroom smells significantly stronger than the other. I wish someone can find the root cause. I feel like it is making my family sick that is exposed to the smell most often. Our other bathrooms that also have durock do not have the same problem though. Please help!!!

Bob F

Feb 8, 2023, 7:13:43 PM2/8/23
Remove the faucet cover, then block the hole around the faucet with
caulk, tape, or something else suitable. Maybe the same for the shower head.

SJ

Apr 7, 2023, 5:31:59 PM4/7/23
The other bathrooms you mention that also have durock that don't have same problem - was it the same batch of durock used in these bathrooms, or was it durock from a long time back? If so, perhaps the product was changed in recent years and the newer stuff has this issue. Can't understand how if all the same recent Durock, how 2 bathrs would smell and the others not. How odd. I've smelled the stuff and can't stand being anywhere near it.

Meat5000

May 24, 2023, 11:03:38 AM5/24/23
My guess is that septic tank flue is blocked so chemical fumes of tank additives are coming back up the toilet when pressure builds up.

Meat5000

May 24, 2023, 11:03:38 AM5/24/23
Oops think I replied in wrong place. Im guessing your septic tank flue is blocked and when pressure builds up gasses are coming out of the loo and shower trap if it's connected. Did you put a U-bend in the shower outflow?

build....@yahoo.com

Sep 29, 2023, 7:39:26 PM9/29/23
On Monday, January 2, 2023 at 12:51:03 PM UTC-6, build....@yahoo.com wrote:
> Thx for replies. It is not moldy, or septic, or vinegar. I can confirm the smell is coming from the shower P trap (2" pvc, in concrete slab). The smell is exactly like wet fiberglass that hasn't cured yet. The Ptrap is not clogged (ten gallons from buckets drain smoothly and quickly), and the Ptrap does hold water properly.
> During renovation, a custom fiberglass shower pan was built by a contractor - that smelled horrible for a couple days, then cleared up, which is typical for fiberglass work. BUT the Ptrap still smells like fiberglass, and it's been several months. I've never heard of fiberglass failing to cure, but that's my best guess now. Thoughts?

Following up: We waited until April, fully SIX months since the work was completed, and client demanded that I start demolition because the smell was still intermittently present, and BAD when there at all. I insisted on doing the demo incrementally, to help isolate what might be causing the smell. So I demo'd the shower floor tile and mortar bed to expose the fiberglass pan- smell still present. I destroyed and removed the fiberglass shower pan and the bottom 2' of tile/cement board down to bare studs- smell still present. I removed all the shower walls and bat insulation of the entire shower- smell still present. Now there's no shower, nothing, and it still intermittently stinks.

So then she insists that I demo the vanity cabinet (it had been removed during the original mold remediation and I had re-assembled it and installed it last October. Smell goes away. No smell since approximately May of this year. Four months, gutted bathroom, no smell. She asks me to reinstall the vanity/sink for guest use at an upcoming party, and I do it, for free. Smell returns. 10% as strong as before, but definitely back. Intermittent, same as before.

So am I on the hook for this smell? Do I owe her rebuilding a new shower for free, as she claims? It's been a year and I honestly feel horrible for her, she has not moved in to the house yet because this would be her son's bathroom and he can't tolerate whatever this smell is. But I'm confident it wasn't caused by my work.

Retirednoguilt

Sep 30, 2023, 12:10:53 PM9/30/23
Are you on the hook? I recommend a consultation with a lawyer who
specializes in this type of situation.

Dean Hoffman

Sep 30, 2023, 12:27:18 PM9/30/23
On Friday, September 29, 2023 at 6:39:26 PM UTC-5, build....@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Monday, January 2, 2023 at 12:51:03 PM UTC-6, build....@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Thx for replies. It is not moldy, or septic, or vinegar. I can confirm the smell is coming from the shower P trap (2" pvc, in concrete slab). The smell is exactly like wet fiberglass that hasn't cured yet. The Ptrap is not clogged (ten gallons from buckets drain smoothly and quickly), and the Ptrap does hold water properly.
> > During renovation, a custom fiberglass shower pan was built by a contractor - that smelled horrible for a couple days, then cleared up, which is typical for fiberglass work. BUT the Ptrap still smells like fiberglass, and it's been several months. I've never heard of fiberglass failing to cure, but that's my best guess now. Thoughts?
> Following up: We waited until April, fully SIX months since the work was completed, and client demanded that I start demolition because the smell was still intermittently present, and BAD when there at all. I insisted on doing the demo incrementally, to help isolate what might be causing the smell. So I demo'd the shower floor tile and mortar bed to expose the fiberglass pan- smell still present. I destroyed and removed the fiberglass shower pan and the bottom 2' of tile/cement board down to bare studs- smell still present. I removed all the shower walls and bat insulation of the entire shower- smell still present. Now there's no shower, nothing, and it still intermittently stinks.
>
> So then she insists that I demo the vanity cabinet (it had been removed during the original mold remediation and I had re-assembled it and installed it last October. Smell goes away. No smell since approximately May of this year. Four months, gutted bathroom, no smell. She asks me to reinstall the vanity/sink for guest use at an upcoming party, and I do it, for free. Smell returns. 10% as strong as before, but definitely back. Intermittent, same as before.

Who bought the vanity? Retirednoguilt has good advice.

Ed Samson

Oct 3, 2023, 11:16:46 PM10/3/23
On Friday, September 29, 2023 at 6:39:26 PM UTC-5, build....@yahoo.com wrote:
I can't speak to liability but I'll say this about the odor. Most sinks have an overflow hole, meaning the sink is double-walled. That space fills with hair and soap and develops mold. I suspect the bad odor comes from that area. When dry it doesn't have much odor but, when wet, the mold and odor reactivate. That area is difficult to clean but can be partially accessed by removing the drain assembly. Bleach through the overflow may help as well.

RJH

Oct 4, 2023, 4:22:40 AM10/4/23
On 16 Dec 2022 at 21:56:40 GMT, build....@yahoo.com wrote:

> Well a year has passed and it's time to bump this thread. Summary of above: no
> one knows. Suspects include toilets, toilet seats (especially the squishy
> ones), seals, poorly made sinks, grout, and the cement board brand Durock. But
> no one has posted a definitive answer or solution.

Any cavity walls or capped/unventilated chimneys?

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK