Splicing Romex wire ...

Sid 03

Jan 18, 2022, 10:41:31 AM1/18/22

Marilyn Manson

Jan 18, 2022, 11:16:47 AM1/18/22
On Tuesday, January 18, 2022 at 10:41:31 AM UTC-5, sidw...@gmail.com wrote:
> I need to splice some Romex wire, don't really want to mount a junction box !
> I have seen some products like what is in these links, but I don't like those either. I have had bad experience with "fork" connectors in the past.
>
> My plan was just to strip, twist, solder, and shrink-wrap, tape or both.
>
> Anyone have experience with fixing Romex ?
> Thanks
>
> Links:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhTb891mD6E
>
> https://youtu.be/yBJ23-rEqhc
>
> https://www.grainger.com/product/6HKD5
>
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/255265052010

Where are this splice going to be? Inside a wall or exposed. Different codes apply.

Why don't you want to use a junction box?

P.S. You can typically trim links as I have done by eliminating everything starting with
the first "?". The rest is all tracking info. It's not 100%, but very, very close. Easy enough
to test.

Scott Lurndal

Jan 18, 2022, 11:21:03 AM1/18/22
Sid 03 <sidw...@gmail.com> writes:
>I need to splice some Romex wire, don't really want to mount a junction box=
> !

Either use a junction box (and note that it must be permanently accessible) or
pull a new wire from end to end.

Sid 03

Jan 18, 2022, 11:23:03 AM1/18/22
Marilyn, Thank you for the follow up.
Location: stud-bay.
Junction box: unsightly, just want to make it look clean.
Thanks for the tip on links, hadn't thought about that before.

Marilyn Manson

Jan 18, 2022, 12:06:45 PM1/18/22
On Tuesday, January 18, 2022 at 10:41:31 AM UTC-5, sidw...@gmail.com wrote:
> I need to splice some Romex wire, don't really want to mount a junction box !
> I have seen some products like what is in these links, but I don't like those either. I have had bad experience with "fork" connectors in the past.
>
> My plan was just to strip, twist, solder, and shrink-wrap, tape or both.
>
> Anyone have experience with fixing Romex ?
> Thanks
>
> Links:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhTb891mD6E
>
> https://youtu.be/yBJ23-rEqhc
>
> https://www.grainger.com/product/6HKD5
>
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/255265052010

What about this...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tyco-Electronics-Romex-Splice-Kit-2-Wire-1-Clam-A22899-000/202204326

Marilyn Manson

Jan 18, 2022, 12:10:54 PM1/18/22
Never mind...might be discontinued.

gfre...@aol.com

Jan 18, 2022, 1:00:58 PM1/18/22
Those enerflex type devices are only listed for splicing NM cable in
modular homes (between modules).

550.15(K) Component Interconnections. Fittings and connectors
that are intended to be concealed at the time of assembly shall
be listed and identified for the interconnection of building
components. Such fittings and connectors shall be equal to the
wiring method employed in insulation, temperature rise, and
fault-current withstanding and shall be capable of enduring the
vibration and shock occurring in mobile home transportation

Marilyn Manson

Jan 18, 2022, 4:45:10 PM1/18/22
Not arguing, asking...

What about this discussion re: 2017 and 2020 NEC 334.40(B) and 300.15(H).

Lots of back and forth but I'm not sure I see a definite yes or no.

Appears to be OK for an exposed "repair" in any type of building. Appears.

In any case, for the OP, "strip, twist, solder, and shrink-wrap, tape or both"
is absolutely not allowed, anywhere. (AFAIK)

Scott Lurndal

Jan 18, 2022, 5:27:01 PM1/18/22
Marilyn Manson <comawhit...@gmail.com> writes:
>On Tuesday, January 18, 2022 at 1:00:58 PM UTC-5, gfre...@aol.com wrote:

>What about this discussion re: 2017 and 2020 NEC 334.40(B) and 300.15(H).

>In any case, for the OP, "strip, twist, solder, and shrink-wrap, tape or both"
>is absolutely not allowed, anywhere. (AFAIK)

Indeed.

"The 2014 Code cycle adopted a more precise language
when discussing these splicing devices - declaring they must
be listed (such as UL) and deemed a nonmetallic sheathed cable
interconnector device. So that no confusion could be had as to
the type of splicing mechanism being referred to for this purpose.
Section 334.40(B) in the 2014 NEC also removed permission for using
the device as part of 'rewiring' as the previous Code cycle(s) had
stated. Replacing that language with REPAIR wiring only. So that a
NM cable accidentally punctured with a screw or nail or nicked while
fishing a wall could still qualify for this splicing procedure. But
no permission existed in the 2014 NEC for using the splicing device
outside of repair work. Also, the requirement for the NM cable to be
'fished' if it were to be spliced was also removed. That is because
the only time you are now permitted to use the device is for repair
work and not for extending wiring (rewiring work) when the wiring is too short."

gfre...@aol.com

Jan 18, 2022, 7:02:35 PM1/18/22
On Tue, 18 Jan 2022 13:45:06 -0800 (PST), Marilyn Manson
When the Enerflex device was announced it was being promoted as a way
you could splice and even fish Romex without a box. (using those
articles). Then the NRTLs, U/L principally removed, the listing of
that class of device for anything but putting modular home units
together. I am not sure how the building community feels about it
today but many years ago when I was in the middle of this, they hated
the device. I am guessing it was easier to lift the listing than it
was to get a code change through the 3 year process and wait for the
states and municipalities to adopt it.
This is the listing

**************

INTERCONNECTORS (QAAV)
GENERAL
This category covers self-contained interconnectors employing pressure
cable connectors, insulation displacement or insulation piercing
connectors
for splicing or tapping nonmetallic (NM) sheathed cable. These
interconnectors
are intended for installation in accordance with Section 336.21 and
Articles 545, 550 and 551 of NFPA 70, ‘‘National Electrical Code.’’
These devices have been evaluated for equivalency to Type NM cable in
insulation and temperature rise, and for capability to withstand fault
currents,
vibration and mechanical shock that may occur during transport of
the units in which they are use

trader_4

Jan 19, 2022, 9:34:36 AM1/19/22
I'd modify that to pull a new wire from wherever a box or boxes can be used.
For example might be able to cut it, drop both ends down to the basement or
up into the attic, put two boxes there and wire between.

Sid 03

Jan 19, 2022, 8:25:56 PM1/19/22
Thanks for everyone's input, I learned a lot from the discussion.
I am going to breakdown and install a junction box
Thank you.