ot Printer found with time set for Atlantic Ocaan

micky

Jan 1, 2022, 11:04:58 PMJan 1
Not a question.

I found on the grass between the sidewalk and the curb, in front of a
house, a printer-copier-scanner-fax.

It looks pretty nice except there is a powder bigger than flour and
smaller than salt, and light brown, in the input tray. I'll clean it
off so it doesn't get in the mechanism. Maybe it did already and that's
why he's throwing it away.

But the reason I'm posting is I connected some house current and the
date/time in it was 3 hours later than here. I'm in the Eastern Time
Zone and I think anything 3 hours east of here is in the middle of the
Atlantic!

Well, except for Greenland and Brazil,
and probably French Guiana and a little Suriname
It just misses St. Johns in Newfoundland and Labrador.

Maybe he came from Greenland.

bruce bowser

Jan 2, 2022, 3:11:07 PMJan 2
"In Canada, the provinces of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia are in the Atlantic Time Zone. Prince Edward Island and small portions of Quebec (eastern Côte-Nord and the Magdalen Islands) are also following the Atlantic Standard Time, as well as the Virgin Islands of the United States." - wikipedia

Before 8am Eastern Standard Time, there's 7am Atlantic Standard Time and before that, there is 6am Newfoundland Standard Time.

gfre...@aol.com

Jan 2, 2022, 6:19:53 PMJan 2
On Sat, 01 Jan 2022 23:04:51 -0500, micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com>
wrote:
More likely is the time just wasn't set.
The "powder" you see sounds like developer beads, the media that
carries toner to the paper.
Be sure you do a good job cleaning that up. A few stray beads will
wreck the photoconductor.
You probably need a new developer and toner cartridge just to find out
why he threw it away.
.

Marilyn Manson

Jan 2, 2022, 6:50:19 PMJan 2
On Saturday, January 1, 2022 at 11:04:58 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
Laser or ink-jet?

micky

Jan 2, 2022, 11:49:33 PMJan 2
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 2 Jan 2022 15:50:16 -0800 (PST), Marilyn
Ink jet. It's very nice, HP OfficeJet 4360.

this is why I asked in another thread about electrostatic rags. It has
in the paper tray a lot of powder and I wanted the rags to get it out of
the corners and crevices. But I got impatient, and Cindy says it's a
gimmick anyhow, and in my own rag box I found a flannel sleeve from a
robe I never owned. It's red with greyish frogs on it. Where did I get
that.

I cleaned some but had to remove the paper tray. It took more than an
hour and I didn't get absolutely everything. I used jumper wires to
connect the power, and by golly it works. One of the reviews complained
he had to get within 3 feet of the wifi to connect, but mine did fine
from more than 30 feet.

Also, I haven't tried but it also lets you print directly from your cell
phone, and probably to scan into your phone. Plus get this, you can
register at HP for an email address for the printer, send an attachment
from anywhere and it will print that. I suspect/hope the PC doesn't
even have to be on if the printer is wifi connected to a router,
although I'll never have any use for this. If you're a traveling
salesman, or someone who travels for business and wants a paper record,
it would be great. Any other uses?

The big problem seems to be the cost of the ink. They are about $37 for
a black and a tri-color. Unlike the Espson and the Brother I have,
which I was surprised to see work fine with cruddy 3rd-party ink, HP is
really insistent on their ink. One of the printer utilities with 6 tabs
includes warnings about ink in 4 of them, encouraging notifying t heir
fraud department if you end up with counterfeit cartridges.

Another tab has a way to keep your cartridges from being used in another
printer. Were people stealing cartridges? But at least you can print
with only one of them if you take out the empty one.

You can buy an ink and syringe set that costs only 18 dollars and they
say is good for 5 or 10 fillings, probably 5 because there was something
about air being left in the cartridge, but that's still 1/10th the
price. However if you let the cartridge get empty, it knows about that
and cancels itself. You have to refill before it gets empty, and even
then I think it threatens you that the level indicators may not work
after that.

But the other problem is that I'm connected to the PC control panel, the
ink level indicator, probably printing, but not for scanning. It won't
scan (and this one has no SD slot in it so it can only scan to the PC,
not to memory). When you even start to scan it says I'm not connected,
and eventually it hints that I should register with HP! I wonder if
this is so they can send you threatening emails if you use bad ink
cartridges. But even registering didn't work yet. I'll see if it
works after restarting the PC and the printer. One of the instructions
for something (not this) was to unplug the printer for a while. (For
this they wanted you to uninstall everything, at 3 places, and reinstall
it all. Maybe later. (and of course I already have a good Brother
all-in-one. )

Another annoyance is their stupid webpages that have one or even two
pop-up boxes that interfere with reading the page, and they show up
every time for every page, even I think if you looked at the tab before
and it reloaded when you came back. I wrote to them last year when I
got an HP computer about how annoying this is but they haven't changed
it. I wrote a firmer message this time.

Also installing the software looked simple, one big .exe to do
everything, but then they came up with something else and I think a
second thing. One was software from MS. It was confusing.

(I had to install on the laptop software for the Brother printer, and
that really was simple.)

This printer may predates win10, but i'm sure that's not the problem.

Paul

Jan 3, 2022, 1:42:56 AMJan 3
For vacuuming laser printer toner, they use a vacuum for the purpose
that has a hepafilter for the collection bag. If you use a conventional
vacuum cleaner, the bag can leak enough particulate, for you to end up
with toner dust in your lungs.

For unknown powders, you do run some (tiny) risk. There are some
really obnoxious powders someone could dump all over the place. For
example, when policemen go into a drug house, sometimes they're overcome
by carfentanyl residue and have to be carted out and given more than
one application of naloxone. Carfentanyl is the material known to be able
to "sedate an elephant", it doesn't take much to leave you on the floor,
sedated and soon to be dead. They need to wear gloves at a minimum,
when in there. If they know the house will be "bad enough", people
go in with self-contained breathing gear.

The printer might have been pulled out for a "failure to pay rent",
rather than being removed because it wasn't wanted any more. We've all
seen apartments with sofas and chairs on the lawn, from evicted tenants.
The tenants never seem to pick up the furniture, which suggests it could
be rental furniture and actually owned by a store.

While the powder might be recognizable (toast crumbs or cracker crumbs),
there is a world of possibility. Nobody thinks of the waste removal people
and they could leave just about any "chemical challenge" on the side of the
road.

Not everyone is your friend in society.

Paul

micky

Jan 3, 2022, 6:53:04 AMJan 3
In comp.periphs.printers, on Mon, 3 Jan 2022 01:42:34 -0500, Paul
<nos...@needed.invalid> wrote:

>The printer might have been pulled out for a "failure to pay rent",
>rather than being removed because it wasn't wanted any more. We've all
>seen apartments with sofas and chairs on the lawn, from evicted tenants.

Thanks for your concern. This was the only thing out there, and it's
the second all-in-one printer I've found. The first one**, the Brother,
was like new, still with the plastic labels stuck to it, so of course I
had positive expectations of this one.

**The first one was so good I began to have doubts that he was really
throwing it away, even though it too, a mile or so from the second one,
was sitting on the grass between the curb and the sidewalk. I went back
to the house, rang the doorbell, and the guy who answered wasn't
unfriendly, but showed no interest in talking about it. I can only
guess it belonged to an ex-girlfriend or roommate that he disliked who
had left it behind, and he had a printerr

BTW, in NY, they don't put furniture on the street. If a landlord evicts
someone, he has to do it in the presence of the sheriff, has to hire a
moving company to take everything to storage, and I think he has to pay
for the first month's storage. To get the stuff back, the tenant, I
assumed, but I see below** that I'm wrong, has to pay the first month
and the moving fee (both of which are returned to the landlord i think)
and if he doesn't, I guess the storage comapny disposes of it as any
other non-paying tenant, hiring someone to clean it out, who sells. I
don't know what happens if all the tenant to search his stuff taking
some of it and leaving the rest. if he has no place to put everything.

**It's even more pro-tenant than I guessed, not that I'n opposed to
that. "The landlord is supposed to store your property somewhere safe.
Your property should not just be thrown out, or put on the curb. Also,
your landlord cannot refuse to give back your property until you pay
rent. If your landlord does any of these things or even threatens to,
call a lawyer right away. Although the law is not clear about how long
the landlord must store your property, landlords often will try to throw
away or sell the property after thirty days. If you have not contacted
the landlord to get your property back, you may not be able to
successfully sue the landlord for the value of your property.

If your property is put in storage, try to move it into your new home as
soon as you can. After thirty days it can be difficult to recover
property which has been placed in storage."

Of course I'm not in NY so none of this applies.

>The tenants never seem to pick up the furniture, which suggests it could
>be rental furniture and actually owned by a store.
>
>While the powder might be recognizable (toast crumbs or cracker crumbs),
>there is a world of possibility. Nobody thinks of the waste removal people
>and they could leave just about any "chemical challenge" on the side of the
>road.
>
>Not everyone is your friend in society.

True. The flannel was thick enough it seemed to absorb some of it, and
I shook it out outside half-way through. Careful not to breathe any.
OTOH I tasted it! Had no taste. Unless Corona has taken away my ability
to taste. (Just kiding.)

Paul

Jan 3, 2022, 7:29:34 AMJan 3
On 1/3/2022 6:52 AM, micky wrote:

> If your property is put in storage, try to move it into your new home as
> soon as you can. After thirty days it can be difficult to recover
> property which has been placed in storage."

The materials I've seen outside apartments, it is not
clear what the conditions of removal were. Maybe the
tenant just left, did not renew lease, and left "garbage"
in the unit, which was subsequently left on the street.

Some places, you never see this happen. Other places,
it's happened multiple times.

And the material can sit outside for longer than a month.
I saw one Lazy Boy that was sitting out with snow on it,
all winter. Classic Canadian goodness, a Lazy Boy covered
in snow. Why couldn't they have left a TV set, with
Monday Night football playing on it continuously.
So it would all look authentic.

Paul

micky

Jan 3, 2022, 7:54:56 AMJan 3
In comp.periphs.printers, on Mon, 3 Jan 2022 07:29:13 -0500, Paul
<nos...@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 1/3/2022 6:52 AM, micky wrote:
>
>> If your property is put in storage, try to move it into your new home as
>> soon as you can. After thirty days it can be difficult to recover
>> property which has been placed in storage."

BTW, this is just the first webpage I found that talked about eviction
in NY. Maybe some don't express things so vaguely.

>The materials I've seen outside apartments, it is not
>clear what the conditions of removal were. Maybe the

They definitely do what you said in some/many?/most? places after normal
evictions. NY is very pro-tenant, comparitively.

>tenant just left, did not renew lease, and left "garbage"
>in the unit, which was subsequently left on the street.
>
>Some places, you never see this happen. Other places,
>it's happened multiple times.
>
>And the material can sit outside for longer than a month.
>I saw one Lazy Boy that was sitting out with snow on it,
>all winter. Classic Canadian goodness, a Lazy Boy covered

You're in Canada? No wonder I can't always understand your posts.

>in snow. Why couldn't they have left a TV set, with
>Monday Night football playing on it continuously.

Good question.

>So it would all look authentic.
>
> Paul

Once in Brooklyn NY someone tried to evict me. He seemed to not notice
my most recent rent payment, maybe 40 days earlier, and he skipped the
30 day notice and went straight to the 72 hour notice, which I saw when
I was leaving for work Friday morning. In my fairly typical
irresponsible manner, I drove to work, parked at the Fulton Fish market
and went away from the weekend after work. When I got home monday
evening, I coudlnt' get into my apt. The sheriff had been there and
he'd changed the locks.

I was scared but not as much as I should have been. I went straight
upstairs and asked the girls there if I coudl go out their window, went
down one flight on the fire escape, broke a window and went into my
apartment. Changed the lock to a spare I kept. I learned later that
day that they hadn't taken anything becuase I had more stuff than would
fit in their truck!! Thank goodness for that. And who would have thunk
it? Next day I stayed home until they came again, and they came around
10, woudln't let them in, negotiated with the landlord on the phone, I
don't remember this but I must have pointed out that his eviction was
illegal, and he agreed that I coudl go with his general factotum to the
bank and pay the current rent for which I was 10 days late in cash, and
pay for the sheriff, about 400 dollars. Of course I shouldn't have paid
the 400 but I got it back years later by offering to move if he gave me
1000 dollars. (I had already bought a house in Baltimore! He jumped at
my offer. I was almost sorry I hadn't said 2000, but I really just
wanted the money he owed me.) He also owed me interest on my security
deposit, 300 dollars, for 11 years. He must have had no intention to
pay that, because he never mentioned it, before or after. I rented
from an honest, but racist, woman, but she moved to florida and sold to
him.

micky

Jan 3, 2022, 9:56:49 AMJan 3
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 2 Jan 2022 12:11:03 -0800 (PST), bruce
Yeah, but this printer was THREE hours later than it is here.

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Jan 3, 2022, 10:07:01 AMJan 3
On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 09:56:40 -0500, micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>>> I found on the grass between the sidewalk and the curb, in front of a
>>> house, a printer-copier-scanner-fax.
>>> But the reason I'm posting is I connected some house current and the
>>> date/time in it was 3 hours later than here. I'm in the Eastern Time
>>> Zone and I think anything 3 hours east of here is in the middle of the
>>> Atlantic!
>>>

>>> Maybe he came from Greenland.
>>

>Yeah, but this printer was THREE hours later than it is here.

Call Sherlock Holmes or Columbo - this must be the
mystery-of-the-year and worthy of a movie or at least
a TV mini series ! ... geeesh .. Micky.
John T.

gfre...@aol.com

Jan 3, 2022, 10:55:14 AMJan 3
On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 09:56:40 -0500, micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com>
wrote:

Maybe he just never used the FAX and that is really the only thing
that cares what time it is. Even that will work just fine with the
wrong time but it might confuse the recipient.

Mark Lloyd

Jan 3, 2022, 12:14:48 PMJan 3
On 1/3/22 06:29, Paul wrote:

[snip]

> And the material can sit outside for longer than a month.
> I saw one Lazy Boy that was sitting out with snow on it,
> all winter. Classic Canadian goodness, a Lazy Boy covered
> in snow. Why couldn't they have left a TV set, with
> Monday Night football playing on it continuously.
> So it would all look authentic.
>
>    Paul

Here, someone left a TV on the curb. It was a 40-inch rear-projection TV
(one of those with 3 CRTs). It stayed there for over a week before the
trash truck got it.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Why is it when we talk to God we're said to be praying, but when God
talks to us we're schizophrenic?" -- Lily Tomlin

Paul

Jan 3, 2022, 1:55:37 PMJan 3
On 1/3/2022 12:14 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On 1/3/22 06:29, Paul wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> And the material can sit outside for longer than a month.
>> I saw one Lazy Boy that was sitting out with snow on it,
>> all winter. Classic Canadian goodness, a Lazy Boy covered
>> in snow. Why couldn't they have left a TV set, with
>> Monday Night football playing on it continuously.
>> So it would all look authentic.
>>
>>     Paul
>
> Here, someone left a TV on the curb. It was a 40-inch rear-projection
> TV (one of those with 3 CRTs). It stayed there for over a week before
> the trash truck got it.

I'm surprised a trash vehicle would pick that up.

For the city to take something now, you have to gift wrap it
and tie a big red bow around it.

To dispose of a refrigerator now, that would cost you
a hundred bucks. Plus the gift wrap and the bow.

Paul

Clare Snyder

Jan 3, 2022, 2:08:14 PMJan 3
On Mon, 3 Jan 2022 01:42:34 -0500, Paul <nos...@needed.invalid> wrote:

Maybe someone pitched it because of all the issues you noted with it.
Other than high end business laserjets pretty much ANY HP printer is
either a crapshoot or a pile of crap.
I gave up on selling them over 10 years ago - Lexmark and Canon were
a lot les trouble for the money. Brother too over the last 10 or so
years (their inkjets USED to be very troublesome if not used several
times a week)

Clare Snyder

Jan 3, 2022, 2:11:57 PMJan 3
On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 06:52:56 -0500, micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com>
wrote:
With the low price of printers and the high price of ink you'd be
SURPRISED how many people just throw awaythe printer when it runs out
of ink - not realizing that the replacementcartridge has at least
twice as much, and in some cases over 5 times as much ink as the
"starter cartridge" that comes with the printer.

John McGaw

Jan 3, 2022, 3:18:31 PMJan 3
On 1/2/2022 11:49 PM, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 2 Jan 2022 15:50:16 -0800 (PST), Marilyn
> Manson <comawhit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, January 1, 2022 at 11:04:58 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
>>> Not a question.
>>>
>>> I found on the grass between the sidewalk and the curb, in front of a
>>> house, a printer-copier-scanner-fax.
snip...

I wouldn't put much importance on the time zone. Some users never figure
out how to or care enough to set such things. I have a step-brother who has
been asking me why his Windows XT laptop doesn't seem to work as well as it
used to and why he can't get software to install. I gave up trying to
explain and offered him one of mine -- at least that one has W10 Home on it
and a processor with more than one core.

--
Bodger's Dictum: Artifical intelligence
can never overcome natural stupidity.

micky

Jan 3, 2022, 3:48:43 PMJan 3
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 02 Jan 2022 23:49:25 -0500, micky
<NONONO...@fmguy.com> wrote:

>Ink jet. It's very nice, HP OfficeJet 4360.
It's still confusing. It didn't work until I restarted windows, which
it did not say to do.

And even though everything works now, I think, hpinkins still says "Your
installation is not complete" and refers me to the CD, which I don't
have, or to Support. It links there but doesn't say or link to whatever
it thinks I should install.

And a box came out on the lower right that said I was no longer
connected to scan, even though I scanned with no trouble a few seconds
later. Of course this software is 12 years old. Maybe they've gotten
rid of these bugs.

OTOH, good things, it displayed the scanned image in miniature and let
me adjust the the brightness and contrast before saving it. I increased
the contrast and it looked much better. The Brother and Epson didn't
have this.

It already had black ink in it that works, but I'm out of color
according to the monitor. I came across an unopened package of NCR
Universal Color Inkjet Refill Kit that someone gave me 10 years ago!!!
I forget who, or maybe I bought it at a hamfest. Yes, I think that's it.
It still has a little label, $5, and initials, that showed who he was
selling it for. It's still liquid and each container is full. I wonder
if it will work? Again, I have almost nothing to lose. Pretty good
packaging, at least. Maybe the ink is good too. (Still for sale, $23
for color, 20 for black, only on ebay, probably as old as mine.)

It says it has 2-sided printing also. I wish I had something that
neeeded printing.

>(I had to install on the laptop software for the Brother printer, and
>that really was simple.)
>
>This printer may predates win10, but i'm sure that's not the problem.

Right. It works with win10. The manual is copyright 2012. So it's
doing pretty well for 9 years old. It's worth keeping for the scanning
alone.

gfre...@aol.com

Jan 3, 2022, 4:15:37 PMJan 3
It just depends on where you live and the rules there. They will take
anything you can lug to the curb here. If two guys can't get it in the
regular truck they tag it and send a claw truck. That compactor will
make splinters out of an old projection TV.

Clare Snyder

Jan 3, 2022, 4:48:37 PMJan 3
On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 15:48:35 -0500, micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com>
wrote:
With the ink you have to know if it is dye or pigment and whether it
is oil or water soluable. DO NOT MIX dye and pigment or oil and water.

Bob F

Jan 3, 2022, 5:00:56 PMJan 3
I thought about making a similar comment, but decided Micky has OD'ed me
on replying to stupid posts.

micky

Jan 3, 2022, 10:22:03 PMJan 3
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 3 Jan 2022 14:00:51 -0800, Bob F
<bobn...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Right. It works with win10. The manual is copyright 2012. So it's
>>> doing pretty well for 9 years old. It's worth keeping for the scanning
>>> alone.
>> With the ink you have to know if it is dye or pigment and whether it
>> is oil or water soluable. DO NOT MIX dye and pigment or oil and water.

Okay. The ink says it works for HP.

>I thought about making a similar comment, but decided Micky has OD'ed me
>on replying to stupid posts.

Sorry about that. I'll try to be smarter.

micky

Jan 3, 2022, 10:26:57 PMJan 3
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 03 Jan 2022 14:11:52 -0500, Clare Snyder
<cl...@snyder.on.ca> wrote:

>>True. The flannel was thick enough it seemed to absorb some of it, and
>>I shook it out outside half-way through. Careful not to breathe any.
>>OTOH I tasted it! Had no taste. Unless Corona has taken away my ability
>>to taste. (Just kiding.)
> With the low price of printers and the high price of ink you'd be
>SURPRISED how many people just throw awaythe printer when it runs out

That might be it. My parents would not approve, and on some things, I
go by their rules. Plus it's fun.

I had a prilnter when I found the previous one. Then the first printer
broke. It says there's a paper jam but I can't find any paper, and I
can't find the sensors that think there is paper.

Do you know what the sensors look like? If I coudl find the bad one,
if it had 2 wire, I could short them or cut one, and see which got rid
of the "paper jam alert".

>of ink - not realizing that the replacementcartridge has at least
>twice as much, and in some cases over 5 times as much ink as the
>"starter cartridge" that comes with the printer.

Good point.

micky

Jan 3, 2022, 10:30:23 PMJan 3
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 03 Jan 2022 14:08:07 -0500, Clare Snyder
<cl...@snyder.on.ca> wrote:

> Maybe someone pitched it because of all the issues you noted with it.
>Other than high end business laserjets pretty much ANY HP printer is
>either a crapshoot or a pile of crap.
> I gave up on selling them over 10 years ago - Lexmark and Canon were
>a lot les trouble for the money. Brother too over the last 10 or so
>years (their inkjets USED to be very troublesome if not used several
>times a week)

I spent time before my next to last trip trying to write a bat file that
I would put on the scheduler which would print a test copy on the
Brother printer and then turn the computer off.

I got most of it done but ran out of time. So no one used the Brother
for almost 3 mnt hs and it still worked fine when I got home. Based on
what I'd been taught, I was amazed. I don't remember if the Epson did
the same before it broke.

micky

Jan 3, 2022, 10:32:47 PMJan 3
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 3 Jan 2022 15:18:25 -0500, John McGaw
<Nob...@Nowh.ere> wrote:

>On 1/2/2022 11:49 PM, micky wrote:
>> In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 2 Jan 2022 15:50:16 -0800 (PST), Marilyn
>> Manson <comawhit...@gmail.com> wrote:

>snip...
>

>I wouldn't put much importance on the time zone. Some users never figure
>out how to or care enough to set such things.

;-)

> I have a step-brother who has
>been asking me why his Windows XT laptop doesn't seem to work as well as it
>used to and why he can't get software to install.

:-)

> I gave up trying to
>explain and offered him one of mine -- at least that one has W10 Home on it
>and a processor with more than one core.

You're a good step-brother.

Clare Snyder

Jan 3, 2022, 11:24:09 PMJan 3
On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 22:21:57 -0500, micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>>> With the ink you have to know if it is dye or pigment and whether it
>>> is oil or water soluable. DO NOT MIX dye and pigment or oil and water.
>
>Okay. The ink says it works for HP.

Excxept HP used all 4 different types of ink in different printers. If
the ink is transparent you can't use opaque ink and vise versa. - just
for starters.

Clare Snyder

Jan 3, 2022, 11:27:23 PMJan 3
On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 22:26:50 -0500, micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 03 Jan 2022 14:11:52 -0500, Clare Snyder
><cl...@snyder.on.ca> wrote:
>

>>>True. The flannel was thick enough it seemed to absorb some of it, and
>>>I shook it out outside half-way through. Careful not to breathe any.
>>>OTOH I tasted it! Had no taste. Unless Corona has taken away my ability
>>>to taste. (Just kiding.)
>> With the low price of printers and the high price of ink you'd be
>>SURPRISED how many people just throw awaythe printer when it runs out
>
>That might be it. My parents would not approve, and on some things, I
>go by their rules. Plus it's fun.
>
>I had a prilnter when I found the previous one. Then the first printer
>broke. It says there's a paper jam but I can't find any paper, and I
>can't find the sensors that think there is paper.
COMMON issue on a LOT of "consumer grade" printers - and even HP Mid
line printers which is why I characterised them as either "crap shoot"
or "pile of crap". I've scrapped dosens of printers with "phantom
paper jams" - and had a good number replaced while they were still
under warranty with the issue.

micky

Jan 4, 2022, 5:00:30 AMJan 4
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 03 Jan 2022 23:24:04 -0500, Clare Snyder
<cl...@snyder.on.ca> wrote:

>On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 22:21:57 -0500, micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com>
>wrote:

>>Okay. The ink says it works for HP.
>
>Excxept HP used all 4 different types of ink in different printers. If
>the ink is transparent you can't use opaque ink and vise versa. - just
>for starters

If it ruins the cartridge, so be it. I have this ink and I'm not buying
more ink and ignoring this ink.

micky

Jan 4, 2022, 5:02:02 AMJan 4
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 03 Jan 2022 23:27:19 -0500, Clare Snyder
<cl...@snyder.on.ca> wrote:

>On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 22:26:50 -0500, micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com>
>wrote:

>>> With the low price of printers and the high price of ink you'd be
>>>SURPRISED how many people just throw awaythe printer when it runs out
>>
>>That might be it. My parents would not approve, and on some things, I
>>go by their rules. Plus it's fun.
>>
>>I had a prilnter when I found the previous one. Then the first printer
>>broke. It says there's a paper jam but I can't find any paper, and I
>>can't find the sensors that think there is paper.
> COMMON issue on a LOT of "consumer grade" printers - and even HP Mid
>line printers which is why I characterised them as either "crap shoot"
>or "pile of crap". I've scrapped dosens of printers with "phantom
>paper jams" - and had a good number replaced while they were still
>under warranty with the issue.

So are you saying it's in the processor and not a paper sensor? Aren't
there also paper sensors and that could be where the problem is?

gfre...@aol.com

Jan 4, 2022, 8:50:44 AMJan 4
On Tue, 04 Jan 2022 05:01:56 -0500, micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com>
My guess it is a sensor or a feed problem but if it affects a bunch of
new printers it could be a design problem. They look for the sensor to
be covered a some points in the cycle and clear in others. If they are
cutting that window too close you will get phantom paper jams. The
paper may just not be where it is supposed to be when the processor
expects it to be and still not jammed.

Clare Snyder

Jan 4, 2022, 11:35:26 AMJan 4
On Tue, 04 Jan 2022 05:01:56 -0500, micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com>
I have yet to find one where there was actually a problem with the
sensor - other than a few where there was actually torn paper
"jamming" the thing. The VAST majority were "phantom paper jams" - a
few of which would spontaneously resolve for an hour, or a day, or a
week - but always eventually came back permanently. It was to the
point when they were being replaced under warranty they didn't even
want the old ones back or even proof of destruction

Rod Speed

Jan 4, 2022, 12:47:23 PMJan 4
micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com> wrote
> Clare Snyder <cl...@snyder.on.ca> wrote
>> micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com> wrote
>>> Bob F <bobn...@gmail.com> wrote

>>>Okay. The ink says it works for HP.
>>
>>Excxept HP used all 4 different types of ink in different printers. If
>>the ink is transparent you can't use opaque ink and vise versa. - just
>>for starters

> If it ruins the cartridge, so be it.

With most HP inkjets, its ruins the head as well.

> I have this ink and I'm not buying
> more ink and ignoring this ink.

>>>Sorry about that. I'll try to be smarter.
?>

Rod Speed

Jan 4, 2022, 12:50:13 PMJan 4
micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com> wrote
> Clare Snyder <cl...@snyder.on.ca> wrote
>> micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com> wrote
>>> Clare Snyder <cl...@snyder.on.ca> wrote

>>>That might be it. My parents would not approve, and on some things, I
>>>go by their rules. Plus it's fun.
>>>
>>>I had a prilnter when I found the previous one. Then the first printer
>>>broke. It says there's a paper jam but I can't find any paper, and I
>>>can't find the sensors that think there is paper.
>> COMMON issue on a LOT of "consumer grade" printers - and even HP Mid
>>line printers which is why I characterised them as either "crap shoot"
>>or "pile of crap". I've scrapped dosens of printers with "phantom
>>paper jams" - and had a good number replaced while they were still
>>under warranty with the issue.
>
> So are you saying it's in the processor and not a paper sensor? Aren't
> there also paper sensors and that could be where the problem is?

Can also be a cracked flexible cable that stops the processor seeing the
sensor.

Peeler

Jan 4, 2022, 12:51:45 PMJan 4
On Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:50:05 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
"Shit you're thick/pathetic excuse for a troll."
MID: <ogoa38$pul$1...@news.mixmin.net>

Peeler

Jan 4, 2022, 12:52:11 PMJan 4
On Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:47:13 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

dennis@home to retarded trolling senile Rodent:
"sod off rod you don't have a clue about anything."

micky

Jan 4, 2022, 3:17:22 PMJan 4
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 04 Jan 2022 11:35:20 -0500, Clare Snyder
Well, in that case, I might as well throw it away. There is a place
very near here that takes computers for recycling. I think they wanted
printers too. (Their website says.) If they won't take it, the trash.

The new printer, so far, seems not able to do color, only black. The
level meter shows a yellow exlamation mark for color. I added some
ink but that made no difference. I'm going to clean the cartridge
contacts, but the machine doesn't suggest that.

Still, I rarely print anything in color, and it has a great scanner and
I was going to scan a lot this month, maybe. So I'll save it for a
while. I have lots of black ink for it.

Marilyn Manson

Jan 4, 2022, 6:00:59 PMJan 4
I recently bought a Brother All-In-One to replace an Epson that kept giving me
trouble. The Brother wakes up every now and then and cleans its own heads.
The best the Epson ever did was "suggest" that I clean the heads after it wasted
ink by creating a crappy printout.

The box says the Brother comes with a year's worth of ink, based on some
estimate of pages printed. I don't print near as much as it expects, so I may
not be buying ink for quite some time.

It's used more as a scanner than a printer/copier. I actually hooked up a
phone cord today and tried it as a Fax machine. Works perfectly, but I don't
need it. Some government agency needed some docs from me and the
only options given by the guy on the phone was Fax or PO Box. I specifically
asked him about uploading the docs to their website. He said that wasn't
an option. Then I went to their website and there it was: Fax, PO Box, Upload.

I'm docking his pay by holding back some taxes.

gfre...@aol.com

Jan 4, 2022, 7:20:48 PMJan 4
On Tue, 04 Jan 2022 15:17:15 -0500, micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com>
Newer machines have some kind of chip in the ink cartridge that
remembers it was empty and refilling it won't reset the empty signal.
I am not sure of the details because I threw away my last ink jet
around 1998. They were OK when I was getting them free from work.
State Farm threw a hundred M-500 HPs in the trash in my patch alone.
It was maybe the best ink jet at the time. Some agents refused to let
theirs go but most took the latest and greatest color HP. Most of them
regretted it. It was expensive ink that didn't last very long.
When it came time to buy one, I got a Brother laser.

micky

Jan 13, 2022, 2:55:16 PM (6 days ago) Jan 13
In alt.comp.hardware, on Mon, 3 Jan 2022 11:14:38 -0600, Mark Lloyd
<not....@all.invalid> wrote:

>On 1/3/22 06:29, Paul wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>> And the material can sit outside for longer than a month.
>> I saw one Lazy Boy that was sitting out with snow on it,
>> all winter. Classic Canadian goodness, a Lazy Boy covered
>> in snow. Why couldn't they have left a TV set, with
>> Monday Night football playing on it continuously.
>> So it would all look authentic.
>>
>>    Paul
>
>Here, someone left a TV on the curb. It was a 40-inch rear-projection TV
>(one of those with 3 CRTs). It stayed there for over a week before the
>trash truck got it.

Well, that's pretty big. I love junk but even I wouldn't want that.

I don't even have a place to put one that big if someone gave me a brand
new one. Thank goodness no one ever did.

And Paul's right. We used to have weekly or monthly free bulk trash
removal here, but they stopped it 20 years ago. So if I have one big
thing, I have to somehow gett it to the dump myself or pay over 100
dollars to a junk man.

Just this month they resumed bulk trash but only 2 times a year and iirc
you have to make an apppointment. So now I have to save the stuff for 6
months but it's still a lot better than it was.

Bob F

Jan 13, 2022, 3:05:00 PM (6 days ago) Jan 13
On 1/13/2022 11:55 AM, micky wrote:
> In alt.comp.hardware, on Mon, 3 Jan 2022 11:14:38 -0600, Mark Lloyd
> <not....@all.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 1/3/22 06:29, Paul wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> And the material can sit outside for longer than a month.
>>> I saw one Lazy Boy that was sitting out with snow on it,
>>> all winter. Classic Canadian goodness, a Lazy Boy covered
>>> in snow. Why couldn't they have left a TV set, with
>>> Monday Night football playing on it continuously.
>>> So it would all look authentic.
>>>
>>>    Paul
>>
>> Here, someone left a TV on the curb. It was a 40-inch rear-projection TV
>> (one of those with 3 CRTs). It stayed there for over a week before the
>> trash truck got it.
>
> Well, that's pretty big. I love junk but even I wouldn't want that.

I would like to get the lens from one of the really big old 4:3
projection TV's. I'd like to experiment with it to solar heat my hottub.
The 4:3 screens focus to more of a spot than the newer wider screen ones.

It is too bad they rest of them is so big. I've seen 2 50" ones posted
"free" for weeks locally on craigslist, but it would take a lot of time
to get rid of the remains of them in my micro garbage can.

gfre...@aol.com

Jan 13, 2022, 7:49:59 PM (6 days ago) Jan 13
There are 3 lenses, one for each gun. They are about 800mm/3" sort of
thing. The Sony I took apart was around 50" (4x3), huge at the time.
I have the lenses, the only valuable looking thing in there and 20
years later ... want one? ;)

Email me a priority mail label for 2 pounds from 33928 and I will send
you one.
The lenses need cleaning but this comes apart easy. No argon ;)
https://gfretwell.com/ftp/Lens%20TV%20.JPG