Stanley Garage Door Opener Problem

Nov 23, 2000, 10:01:44 PM11/23/00
I have a Stanley Deluxe (Oooooo... Ahhhhhhhh) automatic garage door opener
that has a problem.

Symptoms:

When you push the button either on the remote or wired button, the garage
door will rise and then immediately go back down. If I hold the wired
button down it will continue to rise until I let go and then it will go back
down. The opener acts this way with the door attached or not attached so I
know it isn't the door binding or anything like that.

Can anyone diagnose this problem?

Here are some numbers I found on the casing: LR-47799, 37-0203, 37-0213.
Hopefully one of these is the model number. Also, there is a '8139' sticker
on the circuit board that has the dip switches on it.

Larry Laminger

Nov 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/25/00

"a" <a@a.a> wrote in message

Dip switches on the circuit board would suggest that this is an older
model...and I'm assuming that it worked before on this door. There is a
good chance that the circuit board is shot...time for a new operator.
Without more info, it would be tough to diagnose. Have you checked the
limit and sensitivity settings?

Dan Hicks

Nov 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/25/00

The "up" pressure sensing switch is probably bad, possibly because of a
broken spring, etc.

The.Central.Scru...@invalid.pobox.com

Nov 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/25/00
>The "up" pressure sensing switch is probably bad, possibly because of a
>broken spring, etc.

If you mean the upper over-travel switch, no human interaction will cause the
door to continue it's journey up. For load sensing, door openers sense motor
current.

Release the opener and put the door into manual operation. Do it with the door
lowered as if there's a broken spring, the door will drop like a guilotine. See
if you can raise/lower the door normally.

Dan Hicks

Nov 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/25/00
The.Central.Scru...@invalid.pobox.com wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Nov 2000 14:57:57 GMT, Dan Hicks <danh...@ieee.org> wrote:
> >a wrote:
> >>
> >The "up" pressure sensing switch is probably bad, possibly because of a
> >broken spring, etc.
>
> If you mean the upper over-travel switch, no human interaction will cause the
> door to continue it's journey up. For load sensing, door openers sense motor
> current.

I mean the up force sensor. On the older units I've seen this is a
switch that detects force on a sprocket or on the motor, and it's
adjusted with spring tension. Maybe newer units sense motor current,
but not older models.

Larry Laminger

Nov 25, 2000, 7:59:57 PM11/25/00

"Dan Hicks" <danh...@ieee.org> wrote in message

..and Stanley has pretty cornfusin' adjustment for that. Most of them have
a black dial that sez "increase" or "decrease" If you increase the
sensitivity, the door will reverse under less tension...when you decrease
the sensitivity, the operator will put out more force before stopping.

db...@sprynet.com

Nov 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/28/00
to a
probably a bad relay in the unit on the ceiling, dont hava a stanley,
but a sears for 25 years. when going in a downward position and it gets
jammed it will reverse in the upward position, so you dont hurt someone.
If it goes down when you are trying to go up the machine was not made
that way for a safety reason---did someone install the gar. door opener
or fix it and perhaps have the up and down mech. in the wrong
places..??? hope this helps.

Spidermoore

Nov 30, 2000, 10:32:16 PM11/30/00
No, this unit was working fine until one day it decided to behave this way.

Thanks for the reply though

jennife...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2015, 3:58:13 PM11/30/15
This is a long shot seeing how many years ago this was posted - but we recently bought a house with this exact garage door opener and are experiencing similar problems. The door will often not stay open unless we hold the remote button while we drive out. When we release the button, it goes halfway down, then part back up, then down, then up etc... sometimes just returning to up position, sometimes eventually closing (for several minutes!) Sometimes it does nothing when we release the button, and can close the garage door, or when it closes, it will just re-open again.

Did you ever figure out what the issue was? Would hate to have to replace it if it is easily repaired...