oven 200 degrees 4 hours kilowatt hours

gtr

Jan 23, 2022, 8:42:00 PM1/23/22
Wife buys expensive apple chips.
I say let's just make them (for free) out of apples.

Just tried it. They're good. Sweet. Crisp.
But.

It took a whopping four hours at 200 degrees for just one apple.
How can I maybe calculate (roughly) the kilowatt hours it cost?

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 23, 2022, 9:44:27 PM1/23/22
You can easily calculate the cost of running while the element is on,
but once at temperature it will cycle. There is a calculator but I
question accuracy as it does not take temperature into the mix.
Maintaining 400 degrees will take more power than the same time at 200
degrees.
This would be more of a max number as a guide.

https://joteo.net/electricity-usage-calculator/electricity-usage-of-an-oven

Then there is this
https://www.kitchenstewardship.com/cost-of-using-kitchen-appliances/
Electric oven at 350 degrees = 12-19 cents/hour, depending on which
figures you use

gfre...@aol.com

Jan 23, 2022, 11:06:23 PM1/23/22
If you are only doing one apple, use your toaster oven.
OTOH as Ed says, an oven at 200F probably doesn't have the element on
half the time.
Figure a big oven at 5500KW per Hour while the element is on. How much
is your power?
For me it is 12cents a KWH so say the duty cycle was 33% for 4 hours
(probably high for 200f) about 36 cents.
If you are prime rate in California it would be a lot more.

If you live in a place where the sun shines I bet you could make a
solar oven that would hold 200f on a sunny day. I made one for
recharging silica gel that worked great but I am in Florida.
(a piece of glass from a table top in an insulated box with a black
metal plate in back).

micky

Jan 23, 2022, 11:17:18 PM1/23/22
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 23 Jan 2022 17:41:41 -0800, gtr
It depends where you live. If you have the furnace on because it's
January, any unused heat lowers the furnace cost. Of course electricity
is probably more expensive what your furnace runs on but you can
multiply by something.

gfre...@aol.com

Jan 24, 2022, 2:12:15 AM1/24/22
On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 23:17:12 -0500, micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com>
wrote:
A valid point.
In fact back in the 70s when we were first talking about being green
it was even suggested that you should throw the ice your fridge makes
out in the yard as a primitive heat pump scavenging the heat from the
water coming in.
We don't really use heat here but I see about 10 degrees of delta just
from my general lighting load (all the 120v stuff you plug in and the
lights) if the windows are closed.

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 24, 2022, 8:59:41 AM1/24/22
We had an option for more insulation when be bought here 3 years ago.
Most chilly nights I'm still comfortable come morning. Heat did come on
last night though when it got down to 33 degrees.

Wilson

Jan 24, 2022, 9:46:19 AM1/24/22
On 1/23/2022 8:41 PM, gtr wrote:
I have a very simple Nesco that I picked up in a yard sale. They still make
trays for it (link below) and I don't think it runs much electricity.
Certainly less than an electric oven. They dry will in the sun with a little
covering of cheese cloth. If you have a gas stove, you can get quite a bit
done if your's still has a pilot in it.

https://www.nesco.com/product-category/dehydrating/dehydrators/

trader_4

Jan 24, 2022, 10:11:26 AM1/24/22
200F is a low temp, the heat will be off probably 95%+ of the time. I would
expect the electric used for 4 hours isn't all that much. Sometimes I want
an oven temp of say 120 or 150F for some project. The lowest setting on
the oven is 170F. So I have to monitor it to get the right temp. It takes very
little on time to raise the temp and you can easily overshoot.

Scott Lurndal

Jan 24, 2022, 11:01:44 AM1/24/22
gfre...@aol.com writes:
>On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 17:41:41 -0800, gtr <x...@yyy.zzz> wrote:
>
>>Wife buys expensive apple chips.
>>I say let's just make them (for free) out of apples.
>>
>>Just tried it. They're good. Sweet. Crisp.
>>But.
>>
>>It took a whopping four hours at 200 degrees for just one apple.
>>How can I maybe calculate (roughly) the kilowatt hours it cost?
>
>If you are only doing one apple, use your toaster oven.
>OTOH as Ed says, an oven at 200F probably doesn't have the element on
>half the time.
>Figure a big oven at 5500KW per Hour while the element is on.

5.5 megawatt hours will definitely heat an apple.

Why not just record the Kwh on the electric meter before and
after?

Michael Trew

Jan 24, 2022, 2:06:52 PM1/24/22
Doesn't matter in my neck of the woods, the extra oven heat is very
welcome. Nothing to go up the chimney, all added heat to the home.

bob prohaska

Jan 24, 2022, 7:08:19 PM1/24/22
Have you tried looking at your electric meter? Mine has an actual
power display that reads to the nearest watt. If your base load is
steady it isn't hard to see the peaks drawn by the oven and make
an estimate of extra consumption. Automatic loads might have to
turned off for the duration of the experiment, but the oven's
signature should be fairly obvious.

If you know the element wattage, just timing the thermostat
click on and off will give a pretty good hint.

bob prohaska

gfre...@aol.com

Jan 25, 2022, 4:54:36 PM1/25/22
You might hold that temp with a light bulb in there.

gfre...@aol.com

Jan 25, 2022, 4:59:01 PM1/25/22
On Mon, 24 Jan 2022 16:01:38 GMT, sc...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:
Really fast. Good catch

>Why not just record the Kwh on the electric meter before and
>after?

That is OK if it is the only thing on at the time. The fridge cycling
or the HVAC will screw with your numbers
There are monitors you can put in your panel (on selected loads) that
blue tooth to your phone and give you the power used in real time or
cumulative over time similar to a killawatt device.

Peter Flynn

Feb 19, 2022, 7:25:11 AM2/19/22
On 24/01/2022 01:41, gtr wrote:
> Wife buys expensive apple chips.
> I say let's just make them (for free) out of apples.

I had to look up what they were. Very finely-slices apple sprinkled with
cinnamon that you bake. Sounds wonderful

> It took a whopping four hours at 200 degrees for just one apple.

Four hours sounds about right to dry fruit: evaporating water is fairly
power-intensive. My mother used to dry fruit at a lower temp but
overnight, because her house had a dual meter which gave cut-rate
electricity from 11pm to 8am.

I'm surprised they haven't pre-dried them so that the oven time is
limited to the amount needed for crisping them up.

> How can I maybe calculate (roughly) the kilowatt hours it cost?

Heating up to temperature takes more than keeping it there for the
remaining approx 3¾ hrs, so measure them separately.

Read your meter
Keep everything else on or off (ie no other changes)
Turn on oven and heat to 200°F (watch that light)
Note the time it took, and read the meter again
Leave the oven at 200°F for whole hour
Read the meter again

Now you can work out how many Kw it takes to get to 200°F /and/ how many
units it takes for every hour after that. Then multiply by the cost of a
Kw from your electricity company.

(Someone else check my logic here, please)

Peter