Google Skupine ne podpirajo več novih objav ali naročnin v storitvi Usenet. Zgodovinsko vsebino si je še vedno mogoče ogledati.

How much force to tip over a tree

43 ogledov
Preskoči na prvo neprebrano sporočilo

Bob F

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 00:19:1023. 10. 06
do
I have a columnar white pine tree, about 40 feet tall and maybe
8" in daimeter at the base, I need to remove. I am considering
trying to use an old climbing rope and a come-along to winch
it out of the ground. I figure that if I attach the rope to the tree
about 30 feet from the ground, it shouldn't be too hard to winch
it over. I would used prussiks to allow me to pull it multiple winch-
fulls to move it far enough to break roots (with a little axe help maybe).
Does anyone have any idea how much force this should take?
Will it work?

Bob

marad...@unlisted.com

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 02:57:5023. 10. 06
do
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 21:19:10 -0700, "Bob F" <bobn...@gmail.com>
wrote:

You gotta be kidding !!!!!

Have you ever heard of a chainsaw?
I can guarantee that if your winch, cable, whatever you use does not
fail first, the tree will snap off somewhere along the trunk, and the
snapback will likely hurt someone and/or damage property. Cut it
down, then use the winch to help remove the stump while you dig and
chop roots.

(You CAN connect your winch to help assist the tree to fall the
desired way, when you saw it off. Just snug it up before you start
sawing, and of course know how to make the cut).

Of course you could always call a tree expert too !!!!

Bob F

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 03:18:0423. 10. 06
do

<marad...@UNLISTED.com> wrote in message

> On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 21:19:10 -0700, "Bob F" <bobn...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I have a columnar white pine tree, about 40 feet tall and maybe
> >8" in daimeter at the base, I need to remove. I am considering
> >trying to use an old climbing rope and a come-along to winch
> >it out of the ground. I figure that if I attach the rope to the tree
> >about 30 feet from the ground, it shouldn't be too hard to winch
> >it over. I would used prussiks to allow me to pull it multiple winch-
> >fulls to move it far enough to break roots (with a little axe help
maybe).
> >Does anyone have any idea how much force this should take?
> >Will it work?
> >
> >Bob
> >

> You gotta be kidding !!!!!
>
> Have you ever heard of a chainsaw?
> I can guarantee that if your winch, cable, whatever you use does not
> fail first, the tree will snap off somewhere along the trunk, and the
> snapback will likely hurt someone and/or damage property. Cut it
> down, then use the winch to help remove the stump while you dig and
> chop roots.

Once it's cut, the winch is going to be a whole lot less effective.
No leverage.

Bob

Joseph Meehan

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 06:40:2323. 10. 06
do

Bob, I really think you are going to be a lot safer following the
advice. It may be a little more work, but think of this: If it were easier
and safe, don't you think the professional loggers would have been doing it
for years?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

dadiOH

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 06:40:5623. 10. 06
do

I have no idea but I can tell you a palm tree can easily be pushed
over with a tractor.

> Will it work?

Kinda doubt it. The only pines I have any experience with are
Southern yellow and they have a pretty good root system. I imagine
your rope will break first and if you beef up your rope to 1" Dacron
or so or a stout wire rope I suspect the trunk will snap.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

DK

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 07:41:3923. 10. 06
wrote:

>I have a columnar white pine tree, about 40 feet tall and maybe

My banana tree can be pushed over with one hand. My pecan tree would
break before it pulled loose. My Willow could be pulled over with a
10 ton bulldozer anchoring the winch.

nicks...@ece.villanova.edu

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 07:44:4623. 10. 06
do
Bob F <bobn...@gmail.com> wrote:

What's the highest wind it's been exposed to? At V mph, P = 0.00256V^2 psf,
eg 6.4 psf at 50 mph. On a 40'x10' wide tree, this would make 2560 pounds
with a 2560x20 = 51.2K lb-ft moment, vs 1 ton x 30' up = 60K lb-ft.

>Will it work?

It might, if the force is applied over a long time, eg a month. You might
tie the top of the tree to the base of another with 5 loops of 400 pound
rope and tighten it every few days with the come-along, so you can keep it
out of the rain, and water the base of the tree.

Nick

Doug Miller

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 07:56:4923. 10. 06
do
In article <4uydnUnwNphi36HY...@comcast.com>, "Bob F" <bobn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>I have a columnar white pine tree, about 40 feet tall and maybe
>8" in daimeter at the base, I need to remove. I am considering
>trying to use an old climbing rope and a come-along to winch
>it out of the ground. I figure that if I attach the rope to the tree
>about 30 feet from the ground, it shouldn't be too hard to winch
>it over.

You're kidding, right?

> I would used prussiks to allow me to pull it multiple winch-
>fulls to move it far enough to break roots (with a little axe help maybe).
>Does anyone have any idea how much force this should take?

A whole lot more force than is required to break the tree trunk.

Or your rope.

>Will it work?

Nope.

--
Regards,

Avery

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 08:24:3723. 10. 06
wrote:

>I have a columnar white pine tree, about 40 feet tall and maybe

Not likely! and all abit dangerous - climbing 30 ft to attach the
winch for a start. There is no way that you are going to break roots.
HAve a look at some photos from the latest hurricane/cyclone/typhoon.
Roots don't break, they come out of the ground , but only with the
right amount of encouragement.

Try a chainsaw, or if you don't like them, an 8" diameter trunk really
wont take too long with a good sharp axe.

If you are at all worried about where the thing will fall, call a
professional!.

Come to think of it - call a professional anyway!

Jim Elbrecht

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 08:57:5623. 10. 06
do
"Bob F" <bobn...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have a columnar white pine tree, about 40 feet tall and maybe
>8" in daimeter at the base, I need to remove. I am considering
>trying to use an old climbing rope and a come-along to winch
>it out of the ground. I figure that if I attach the rope to the tree
>about 30 feet from the ground, it shouldn't be too hard to winch

I'd probably go 20' -- and I would keep a close eye on the tree to
make sure it doesn't snap.

>it over. I would used prussiks to allow me to pull it multiple winch-
>fulls to move it far enough to break roots (with a little axe help maybe).

If you've got a sacrificial axe and not too rocky soil that might
work. I've used a demo hammer with a sharpened clay spade with good
results--- and a reciprocating saw is handy sometimes, too.

>Does anyone have any idea how much force this should take?

It depends entirely on the root system and soil. Sandy wet soil &
you're home free. Dry, rocky soil & you've got a couple days work
for one man.

>Will it work?

If your anchor point is heavy enough and you release enough of the
root system- sure.

I did a similar one a few years ago. Cut it off at 20'- then pulled
it with my old Taurus while cutting roots. Found several large
roots near the surface-- and a nasty tap root that went deep.

Next one I cut off at 20 feet- debranch - make a platform for hawk/owl
nests on top and carve the rest into a totem pole.

Jim

mrsgator88

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 09:16:1623. 10. 06
do
"dadiOH" <dad...@guesswhere.com> wrote in message

> I have no idea but I can tell you a palm tree can easily be pushed
> over with a tractor.

Probably because palms are not really trees.

>> Will it work?
>
> Kinda doubt it. The only pines I have any experience with are
> Southern yellow and they have a pretty good root system. I imagine
> your rope will break first and if you beef up your rope to 1" Dacron
> or so or a stout wire rope I suspect the trunk will snap.

Pines were used for masts on sailing ships hundreds of years ago. Today's
pines are probably not nearly as strong, but still... two-four cuts with a
chainsaw and a nice push are all it takes. Even I took down a tree that
size when I was a teen, with my dad and brother. Really no big deal.

Toller

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 09:54:3123. 10. 06
do

"Bob F" <bobn...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Like everyone else, I hope you are kidding.
But if you are not, do not use a climbing rope. That would be really
dangerous. Use a static rope; that would only be pretty dangerous.

And it won't work anyhow. I had a "microburst" 7 years ago. I broke 15
mature white pines in my yard. The only tree it uprooted was a butternut.

I spent a weekend digging out a 3" diameter white pine a few years back.
Try to live with it, or at least with the stump.

HeyBub

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 10:33:4623. 10. 06
do
dadiOH wrote:
> Bob F wrote:
>> I have a columnar white pine tree, about 40 feet tall and maybe
>> 8" in daimeter at the base, I need to remove. I am considering
>> trying to use an old climbing rope and a come-along to winch
>> it out of the ground. I figure that if I attach the rope to the tree
>> about 30 feet from the ground, it shouldn't be too hard to winch
>> it over. I would used prussiks to allow me to pull it multiple
>> winch- fulls to move it far enough to break roots (with a little
>> axe help maybe). Does anyone have any idea how much force this
>> should take?
>
> I have no idea but I can tell you a palm tree can easily be pushed
> over with a tractor.

The roots on palm trees are about six inches long. In LA, people STEAL palm
trees with a wrecker - just pluck-n-go.

On a pine, there is more tree BELOW ground than above.

bremen68

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 10:42:2723. 10. 06
do

Depending on what soil that trees in I don't think you want to do it
this way... The only one that MIGHT work would be a really sandy soil
mix. Doing it this way ---- When the tree breaks there's going to be
some pretty impressive physics applied... :-)

Unless it's diseased, pre-cut, or full of termites that trees gonna
break long before you ever uproot it with that method.

The safest way is to cut it with the chain saw and drop it where you
want it. You'll have a couple of options to get rid of the stump. You
can either. Cut it down as close to the ground as possible and let it
rot, hire/rent a stump grinder and make it go that way, or there are
several products on the market that you can cover/introduce via drilled
holes into the stump that will either let you burn it (check your local
ordinances) or rot faster. Or leave about four feet of stump and have
a piece of heavy equipment (dozer, skidder) in to pull the stump.

Good luck...

Edwin Pawlowski

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 10:50:5323. 10. 06
do

"Bob F" <bobn...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I figure that if I attach the rope to the tree
> about 30 feet from the ground, it shouldn't be too hard to winch
> it over.

Yeah, water around the tree first so it goes over easer. Just make sure it
is well saturated about 12 feet in diameter and 10 feet deep.

Pat

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 11:15:0623. 10. 06
do

It'll either work fine or you'll win a Darwin Award. In either case,
it's a win!!!

(p.s., don't forget to video it and put it on YouTube)

Lawrence

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 11:38:2723. 10. 06
do

I have done something similar with a few oak trees that were near the
house, one of them was 28 inches diameter. I used my skidsteer to dig
a trench around the base of the tree breaking and tearing as many of
the roots as possible. I doesn't take much digging and the tree can be
pushed over with the machine. They are quite top heavy and leverage is
your friend.

Usually I use a chainsaw but these trees were near the house and
acually leaning towards the house. With this method I was able to push
the tree in a safe direction, away from the house, much safer than
using a saw.

If you don't have access to a skidsteer you could maybe rent a
walk-behind trencher and make a trench around the base of the tree to
the maximum depth. This should sever enough of the roots to winch it
over.

A similar method could be used without a machine. You could hand dig
around the base of the tree until some of the larger roots have been
severed. Then try to winch it over. If it won't budge then you dig
some more. It's not a safe as using a machine because you would have
to winch the tree towards you rather than push it. Use a really long
chain for safety sake when winching a tree toward you. Please be
careful when working in the woods. Have a helper nearby just in case.
Then you will have someone to share a beer with after the job is safely
completed.

Lawrence

nicks...@ece.villanova.edu

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 11:45:4523. 10. 06
do
Avery <Av...@home.sydney.au> wrote:

>"Bob F" <bobn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I have a columnar white pine tree, about 40 feet tall and maybe
>>8" in daimeter at the base, I need to remove. I am considering
>>trying to use an old climbing rope and a come-along to winch
>>it out of the ground. I figure that if I attach the rope to the tree
>>about 30 feet from the ground, it shouldn't be too hard to winch it over.
>>I would used prussiks to allow me to pull it multiple winch-fulls
>>to move it far enough to break roots (with a little axe help maybe).

>... dangerous - climbing 30 ft to attach the winch for a start.

I just bought a slingshot with an 8' handle to shoot an 8 oz bag of lead
shot over a tree limb with thin twine attached, up to 100' up...

>There is no way that you are going to break roots.

Note the little ax help.

>Roots don't break, they come out of the ground , but only with the
>right amount of encouragement.

Trees often fall over in winds.

>Try a chainsaw, or if you don't like them, an 8" diameter trunk really
>wont take too long with a good sharp axe.

That could help, if nothing happens in a few weeks.

Nick

Steve Barker LT

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 11:54:5323. 10. 06
do
www.stihlusa.com

--
Steve Barker

"Bob F" <bobn...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Robert Allison

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 12:21:5723. 10. 06
do

That is not true. Pine trees have a small root ball, and are
very prone to being blown over. They are very easy to knock
down as I know from experience. I owned a logging company in
East Texas (unfortunately during the Carter administration).
Our skidder could easily push over a 10-12" pine. No way with
an oak or a hickory. Part of my side work was to remove pines
blown over by high winds. Oaks would snap in half. Oaks ARE
larger underground than above, but this is not true of pines.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

emaila...@isp.com

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 14:08:3523. 10. 06
do
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 08:57:56 -0400, Jim Elbrecht <elbr...@email.com>
wrote:

Lets make a mountain out of a molehill.........
Hell, it's only an 8 inch trunk. If you dont have a chainsaw and dont
want to spend $50 to rent one, get a cheap bow saw from Walmart for $6
and spend a 10 minutes sawing it by hand and enjoy the exercise.

Bob F

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 15:29:1423. 10. 06
do

<emaila...@ISP.com> wrote in message

The whole point is to remove a chunk of the root structure while
I have the leverage to make it easier, and to drop it slower so it
doesn't damage nearby plants. Also, so I don't have to remove
parts from a ladder leaned against the tree. Cutting the tree at the base
is not an option due to location.

Bob

Mark Lloyd

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 15:44:0123. 10. 06
do
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 09:33:46 -0500, "HeyBub" <heybub...@gmail.com>
wrote:

We have a lot of pine trees around here. I remember my father telling
me that the pine has a root that goes as far below the surface as the
tree grows above it.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask be to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster

Rain

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 16:07:4023. 10. 06
do
Bob, hire a profesional and stay far far far away from any tool bigger
than a screw driver.

lee houston

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 17:01:0423. 10. 06

> The whole point is to remove a chunk of the root structure while
> I have the leverage to make it easier, and to drop it slower so it
> doesn't damage nearby plants. Also, so I don't have to remove
> parts from a ladder leaned against the tree. Cutting the tree at the base
> is not an option due to location.

With no cut roots, the tree will snap in the trunk. enough room
at the base to drill holes, effectively cutting it at ground level?
(With ropes and tension to direct the tree's fall.)

lee

Toller

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 17:34:1723. 10. 06
do
> I have done something similar with a few oak trees that were near the
> house, one of them was 28 inches diameter. I used my skidsteer to dig
> a trench around the base of the tree breaking and tearing as many of
> the roots as possible. I doesn't take much digging and the tree can be
> pushed over with the machine. They are quite top heavy and leverage is
> your friend.

Oak and pine trees have completely different root systems.

Bob F

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 19:39:1323. 10. 06
do

"lee houston" <bogus...@notreal.invalid> wrote in message

Cut roots are not excluded.

Bob

Bob F

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 19:40:0323. 10. 06
do

"Rain" <rain....@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Bob, hire a profesional and stay far far far away from any tool bigger
> than a screw driver.

LOL

Bob

Tater

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 20:07:2123. 10. 06
do

Bob F wrote:
> I have a columnar white pine tree, about 40 feet tall and maybe
> 8" in daimeter at the base, I need to remove. I am considering
> trying to use an old climbing rope and a come-along to winch
> it out of the ground. I figure that if I attach the rope to the tree
> about 30 feet from the ground, it shouldn't be too hard to winch
> it over. I would used prussiks to allow me to pull it multiple winch-
> fulls to move it far enough to break roots (with a little axe help maybe).
> Does anyone have any idea how much force this should take?
> Will it work?
>
> Bob

nope.

want simple? drill a hole in one side of the tree, stick a funnel and
fill with waste oil, as it soaks in, add more, check every hour.

then light a match.

lot more fun than a chainsaw :)

other poster: some people dont like chainsaws. if it was me and I
couldnt burn it, I'd ask someone if they want free firewood, if that
fails, i'd use a winch to pull the tree gently in one direction, and
start diggin roots, maybe flood with water depending on soil
conditions.

I got some 50ft pines i will eventually get rid of, if no one claims
firewood out of them, I might have to try this.

HeyBub

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 20:30:4023. 10. 06
do
Robert Allison wrote:

> HeyBub wrote:
>>>
>>> I have no idea but I can tell you a palm tree can easily be pushed
>>> over with a tractor.
>>>

>> The roots on palm trees are about six inches long. In LA, people
>> STEAL palm trees with a wrecker - just pluck-n-go.
>>
>> On a pine, there is more tree BELOW ground than above.
>>

> That is not true. Pine trees have a small root ball, and are
> very prone to being blown over. They are very easy to knock
> down as I know from experience. I owned a logging company in
> East Texas (unfortunately during the Carter administration).

Well, that doesn't speak too well for your business acumen, does it?

> Our skidder could easily push over a 10-12" pine. No way with
> an oak or a hickory. Part of my side work was to remove pines
> blown over by high winds. Oaks would snap in half. Oaks ARE
> larger underground than above, but this is not true of pines.

Okay. You caught me. I exaggerated. Let me restate.

"Almost ALL trees have MORE organic matter below ground than they do above.
Not just pines."

tn...@mucks.net

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 20:55:1423. 10. 06
wrote:

>I have a columnar white pine tree, about 40 feet tall and maybe
>8" in daimeter at the base, I need to remove. I am considering
>trying to use an old climbing rope and a come-along to winch
>it out of the ground. I figure that if I attach the rope to the tree
>about 30 feet from the ground, it shouldn't be too hard to winch
>it over. I would used prussiks to allow me to pull it multiple winch-
>fulls to move it far enough to break roots (with a little axe help maybe).
>Does anyone have any idea how much force this should take?
>Will it work?
>
>Bob

A strong wind that would create an equally loaded force can uproot
a pine. Pines do have a weaker root system than most trees but putting
a winch at one point on the tree will not uproot the pine. It will
only snap the trunk and cause your winch to fly back at you.

KLS

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 21:06:0023. 10. 06
do
On 23 Oct 2006 17:07:21 -0700, "Tater" <tate...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>other poster: some people dont like chainsaws. if it was me and I
>couldnt burn it, I'd ask someone if they want free firewood, if that
>fails, i'd use a winch to pull the tree gently in one direction, and
>start diggin roots, maybe flood with water depending on soil
>conditions.
>
>I got some 50ft pines i will eventually get rid of, if no one claims
>firewood out of them, I might have to try this.

If you join your local Freecycle group www.freecycle.org or post the
wood on Craigslist for free, believe me, people will come running for
it, especially now before winter hits. Your free wood will be even
more popular if you can cut down the tree into more manageable
lengths, but I'm sure that could be a point of negotiation. Good
luck!

GWB

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 22:35:2823. 10. 06
do

Don't pines typically snap, rather than uproot in strong winds?
I hope so. I have some big muthas too damn close to the house. <G>

Harry K

neprebran,
23. okt. 2006, 22:57:0423. 10. 06
do

No big deal until it doesn't fall where you want it. I have been
cutting firewood (up to 12 cord/year) for over 30 years and I still
won't fall a tree in tight quarters. Using a cable or chain
(definitely not the run of the mill rope) tied somewhere up in the tree
to "guide the fall" is not the answer either. Once you snug it up and
make the falling cuts, any guidance is lost as soon as the tree begins
to fall and the cable goes slack.

Harry K

lwas...@fellspt.charm.net

neprebran,
24. okt. 2006, 00:50:5624. 10. 06
do
In article <kp6qj29lqglm4uu09...@4ax.com>,
Mark Lloyd <mll...@xmail.com10.invalid> wrote:
<...snipped...>

>We have a lot of pine trees around here. I remember my father telling
>me that the pine has a root that goes as far below the surface as the
>tree grows above it.

Yeah, my Dad used to exaggerate too.

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland - lwas...@charm.net

lwas...@fellspt.charm.net

neprebran,
24. okt. 2006, 01:01:4424. 10. 06
do
In article <tza%g.3785$Ka1....@news01.roc.ny>,
Toller <Tol...@Yahoo.com> wrote:
<...snipped...>

>Oak and pine trees have completely different root systems.

Sure, even one pine tree and another pine tree have completely
different root systems.

--

Rudy

neprebran,
24. okt. 2006, 01:40:4524. 10. 06
do

> Bob, I really think you are going to be a lot safer following the
> advice. It may be a little more work, but think of this: If it were
> easier and safe, don't you think the professional loggers would have been
> doing it for years?

Loggers dont pull the stumps

tn...@mucks.net

neprebran,
24. okt. 2006, 03:43:5224. 10. 06
do

No. If they are in the open and see the full brunt of the wind they
will actually partially pull out of the ground because of the weak
root system. I have had two pines on different occasions pull down
to a 45 degree angle. I had to remove them. My neighbor has three
pines right now that have a 20 degree tilt at the base but have grown
to re-righted the top half of the trunk through the years.

Cliff Hartle

neprebran,
24. okt. 2006, 07:03:5124. 10. 06
do
> If you join your local Freecycle group www.freecycle.org or post the
> wood on Craigslist for free, believe me, people will come running for
> it, especially now before winter hits. Your free wood will be even
> more popular if you can cut down the tree into more manageable
> lengths, but I'm sure that could be a point of negotiation. Good
> luck!

Are you sure anyone is going to want burn pine? I don't have a fireplace,
but isn't burning pine bad for the flue, creosote?

dadiOH

neprebran,
24. okt. 2006, 07:54:1524. 10. 06
do
Avery wrote:

> Not likely! and all abit dangerous - climbing 30 ft to attach the
> winch for a start. There is no way that you are going to break
> roots. HAve a look at some photos from the latest
> hurricane/cyclone/typhoon. Roots don't break, they come out of the

> ground , but only with the right amount of encouragement.

I have (unfortunately) three large live oaks lying mostly on the
ground (two are still alive). They were knocked down by hurricanes
two years ago. A few smallish roots came out of the ground but mostly
they broke.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Robert Allison

neprebran,
24. okt. 2006, 09:59:1924. 10. 06
do
HeyBub wrote:
> Robert Allison wrote:

>>>The roots on palm trees are about six inches long. In LA, people
>>>STEAL palm trees with a wrecker - just pluck-n-go.
>>>
>>>On a pine, there is more tree BELOW ground than above.
>>>

>>That is not true. Pine trees have a small root ball, and are
>>very prone to being blown over. They are very easy to knock
>>down as I know from experience. I owned a logging company in
>>East Texas (unfortunately during the Carter administration).
>

> Well, that doesn't speak too well for your business acumen, does it?

I had no control over the politics of the decade. I did,
however, have control over my costs. While others were
purchasing their equipment, I was leasing. When the bottom
fell out of the construction industry and it became
increasingly difficult to find mills to buy logs, I was able
to get out of the business. Others had huge notes to pay and
many went bankrupt. I don't really get to count that as
tremendous business acumen as much as it was just plain dumb luck.

>>Our skidder could easily push over a 10-12" pine. No way with
>>an oak or a hickory. Part of my side work was to remove pines
>>blown over by high winds. Oaks would snap in half. Oaks ARE
>>larger underground than above, but this is not true of pines.
>

> Okay. You caught me. I exaggerated. Let me restate.
>
> "Almost ALL trees have MORE organic matter below ground than they do above.
> Not just pines."

It should be: Except for pines and a few other species.

Heathcliff

neprebran,
24. okt. 2006, 15:07:3924. 10. 06
do

Bob F wrote:
> I have a columnar white pine tree, about 40 feet tall and maybe
> 8" in daimeter at the base, I need to remove. I am considering
> trying to use an old climbing rope and a come-along to winch
> it out of the ground. I figure that if I attach the rope to the tree
> about 30 feet from the ground, it shouldn't be too hard to winch
> it over. I would used prussiks to allow me to pull it multiple winch-
> fulls to move it far enough to break roots (with a little axe help maybe).
> Does anyone have any idea how much force this should take?
> Will it work?
>
> Bob

Wow, lively topic, eh? I like the idea, it's creative, and anything
that avoids having to dig out the damn stump by hand is worth
considering. I would advise against it though. Winching it over will
create a situation with a lot of potential energy in your system. It
is inherently dangerous. The tree could snap, rope snap, whatever you
have the rope tied to move, etc. As someone said, if it was practical
and safe the pros would do it that way. Many trees blow over in storms
taking the roots up, but the wind force is distributed over the whole
tree, whereas you would be applying the force in only one spot, making
breakage more likely, I think.

I have cut down several trees in the yard (mostly dead elms) of this
size or bigger and never had any trouble dropping them in the direction
I wanted. A combination of how you do the cut (notch on the side you
want it to fall toward, and felling cut from other side) and having a
helper pull on a rope attached way up in the tree seems to do it. Yes
once the rope is slack your guidance is over but once you get it
started in the right direction, my experience has been it keeps going
that way. When felling leave a hinge of uncut wood and try to pull it
over with the rope. If the tree is leaning or lopsided though you
might have more trouble getting it to go where you want.

The stump can be removed by digging around it, chopping exposed roots
with an axe, more digging, more chopping, etc. Not fun but it will
work eventually.

OK, you want a more fun way. Here is my suggestion - don't use any
tools. Push on the trunk, the tree will sway a little and come back.
Push rythmically in time with the sway to make it sway more and more
until it falls over.

Goedjn

neprebran,
24. okt. 2006, 15:01:2024. 10. 06
do

>>>A strong wind that would create an equally loaded force can uproot
>>>a pine. Pines do have a weaker root system than most trees but putting
>>>a winch at one point on the tree will not uproot the pine. It will
>>>only snap the trunk and cause your winch to fly back at you.
>>
>>Don't pines typically snap, rather than uproot in strong winds?
>>I hope so. I have some big muthas too damn close to the house. <G>
>
>No. If they are in the open and see the full brunt of the wind they
>will actually partially pull out of the ground because of the weak
>root system. I have had two pines on different occasions pull down
>to a 45 degree angle. I had to remove them. My neighbor has three
>pines right now that have a 20 degree tilt at the base but have grown
>to re-righted the top half of the trunk through the years.

It depends in where they're growing, how long it's been
raining, and whether you've recently changed their wind
exposure. A pine tree that's grown in the middle
of a pine forest and has spend all it's energy lunging
for the sky in order to beat it's brethren to the sunlight
will blow over in the next big storm if you cut down
all the trees around it. A pine tree that's
grown up in the middle of a field because it's too
close to the pigsty to mow isn't going anywhere.

markhar...@comcast.net

neprebran,
24. okt. 2006, 15:38:3524. 10. 06
do
I think lots of great opinions here! Roots will always be an issue,
depends on how old they are, how far they travelled, how much water
they got over the life to determine which direction they travelled,
etc. Yes, Pine have larger root systems than Palms, but each tree will
be different. There is no magic answer. Key is: SAFETY! A tree this
size is DANGEROUS and can cause REAL damage to surrounding stuff (like
humans).

Suggestion: Tie a rope/chain to the top section and connect it to a
known SAFE area. Lop the tree at 25 feet or so (which will fall towards
the rope/chain), then again at 10 feet (again with the rope/chain
guiding it's descent). Dispose of those two sections. Now, dig around
the tree trunk a bit and see if you can saw the stump below grade. If
so, and if you do not plan to build anything on top of it, simply cover
it with soil and enjoy your new yard. Alternatively, get a stump
grinder to level what sticks up. They can be found for under $100 and
their machine takes 20 minutes or less to unload, grind and load.

Joseph Meehan wrote:
> Bob F wrote:
> > <marad...@UNLISTED.com> wrote in message

> >> You gotta be kidding !!!!!
> >>
> >> Have you ever heard of a chainsaw?
> >> I can guarantee that if your winch, cable, whatever you use does not
> >> fail first, the tree will snap off somewhere along the trunk, and the
> >> snapback will likely hurt someone and/or damage property. Cut it
> >> down, then use the winch to help remove the stump while you dig and
> >> chop roots.
> >>

> > Once it's cut, the winch is going to be a whole lot less effective.
> > No leverage.
> >
> > Bob

> Bob, I really think you are going to be a lot safer following the
> advice. It may be a little more work, but think of this: If it were easier
> and safe, don't you think the professional loggers would have been doing it
> for years?
>

> --
> Joseph Meehan
>
> Dia duit

Bob F

neprebran,
24. okt. 2006, 15:44:5324. 10. 06
do

"Heathcliff" <heathclif...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
LOL. I think the tree is a little big for that to work.

Bob

Bob F

neprebran,
24. okt. 2006, 15:54:2224. 10. 06
do

"Bob F" <bobn...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I have a columnar white pine tree, about 40 feet tall and maybe
> 8" in daimeter at the base, I need to remove. I am considering
> trying to use an old climbing rope and a come-along to winch
> it out of the ground. I figure that if I attach the rope to the tree
> about 30 feet from the ground, it shouldn't be too hard to winch
> it over. I would used prussiks to allow me to pull it multiple winch-
> fulls to move it far enough to break roots (with a little axe help maybe).
> Does anyone have any idea how much force this should take?
> Will it work?

Incidentally, I found this on a Warn winch site.

Pull out shrubs or pull down trees.Use

the choker chain low around the shrub,

then start pulling with the winch.The

choker chain will tighten. Small shrubs can

be pulled out by the roots.

On a larger tree, you can attach the

choker chain high up on the trunk for

leverage, then start pulling.The winch will

pull the tree over and expose roots that

could take hours to dig out. Slack the

tension on the wire rope and cut the tree

roots so the tree can be pulled loose.Use of

a snatch block to change the angle of the

pull to you to position the vehicle out of

the way should the tree fall.

dadiOH

neprebran,
24. okt. 2006, 17:19:5524. 10. 06
do
Heathcliff wrote:

> The stump can be removed by digging around it, chopping exposed
> roots with an axe, more digging, more chopping, etc. Not fun but
> it will work eventually.

They can also be burned out too. Especially pines. For that matter,
the roots will burn out underground too...I burned out an old dead
pine stump a few years ago and the roots burned underground for close
to a week (a heavy rain put them out).

Bob S.

neprebran,
24. okt. 2006, 18:07:2324. 10. 06
do

Robert Allison wrote:
> HeyBub wrote:
> >
> > On a pine, there is more tree BELOW ground than above.
>
> That is not true. Pine trees have a small root ball, and are
> very prone to being blown over. They are very easy to knock
> down as I know from experience. I owned a logging company in
> East Texas (unfortunately during the Carter administration).
> Our skidder could easily push over a 10-12" pine. No way with
> an oak or a hickory. Part of my side work was to remove pines
> blown over by high winds. Oaks would snap in half. Oaks ARE
> larger underground than above, but this is not true of pines.

Depends on the type pine. Here in the south the majority of pines
(Loblolly & SYP) have a tap root that anchors the tree really deep into
the ground. Not a dense root system, but a deep one. A hurricane or
tornado will break them off, but will *not* blow them over. Oaks on
the other hand have a massive root system but it is shallow with no tap
root. A saturated ground and a strong wind will blow over 100 year old
oaks fairly often.

Bob S.

lwas...@fellspt.charm.net

neprebran,
25. okt. 2006, 01:55:1125. 10. 06
do
In article <%rv%g.2365$GJ.1385@trnddc07>, dadiOH <xi...@verizon.net> wrote:
>Heathcliff wrote:
>
>> The stump can be removed by digging around it, chopping exposed
>> roots with an axe, more digging, more chopping, etc. Not fun but
>> it will work eventually.
>
>They can also be burned out too. Especially pines. For that matter,
>the roots will burn out underground too...I burned out an old dead
>pine stump a few years ago and the roots burned underground for close
>to a week (a heavy rain put them out).

Don't do this near any coal veins that are close to the the surface.

http://www.easternpa.com/pottsville/hist.html

http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/DEPUTATE/MINRES/BAMR/CENTBRF.htm

Goedjn

neprebran,
25. okt. 2006, 11:07:3625. 10. 06
do
On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 00:55:11 -0500, lwas...@fellspt.charm.net ()
wrote:

>In article <%rv%g.2365$GJ.1385@trnddc07>, dadiOH <xi...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>Heathcliff wrote:
>>
>>> The stump can be removed by digging around it, chopping exposed
>>> roots with an axe, more digging, more chopping, etc. Not fun but
>>> it will work eventually.
>>
>>They can also be burned out too. Especially pines. For that matter,
>>the roots will burn out underground too...I burned out an old dead
>>pine stump a few years ago and the roots burned underground for close
>>to a week (a heavy rain put them out).
>>

>Don't do this near any coal veins that are close to the the surface.
>
>http://www.easternpa.com/pottsville/hist.html
>
>http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/DEPUTATE/MINRES/BAMR/CENTBRF.htm

It doesn't have to be coal seams. Deep loam can be
nearly as bad. Although easier to get at, once you
figure out that you've set the planet on fire.

Sporočilo je izbrisano

Dutchovencook

neprebran,
12. okt. 2021, 12:31:1312. 10. 21