Unable to remove Moen faucet cap

buddy...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2016, 4:25:14 PM6/21/16
I'm trying to change a cartridge in a Moen bathroom faucet (2 handled chateau style, see picture below). the problem is that I cannot even remove the top cap to remove the handle. they say use a screwdriver or sharp instrument. It doesn't work. I keep scratching the cap. And suggestions?

https://www.amazon.com/Moen-4920-Chateau-Two-Handle-Bathroom/dp/B000TFD6C0

Terry Coombs

Jun 21, 2016, 5:13:14 PM6/21/16
Straight pin or a needle to get it open far enough to insert a putty knife
of other thin blade . Be SURE you're at the line where the cap meets the
handle ...

--
Snag

Dan Espen

Jun 21, 2016, 6:14:53 PM6/21/16
Try here:

http://www.moen.com/customer-support/installation-help/tutorial?id=moen0132

Looks to me like the cap should pry off.

--
Dan Espen

Frank

Jun 21, 2016, 8:02:15 PM6/21/16
That or a knife blade is what I'd do. If you break it Moen may most
likely have a replacement to sell you although may not be cheap.

Wade Garrett

Jun 22, 2016, 11:23:56 AM6/22/16
De-grunge the joint with a stiff bristle brush. Maybe let a little
penetrating oil sit around it overnight?

--
With all this “gun control” talk, I haven’t heard one politician say how
they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists— just from law

Shade Tree Guy

Jun 22, 2016, 12:01:48 PM6/22/16
On Wednesday, June 22, 2016 at 8:23:56 AM UTC-7, Wade Garrett quoted:

> With all this “gun control” talk, I haven’t heard one politician say how
> they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists— just from law
> abiding citizens…

Exactly
Here in Mexifornia, only the cops, crooks, thieves, bank-robbers, car-jackers, home-invaders and gang-bangers are allowed to carry guns
STG

Oren

Jun 22, 2016, 2:39:32 PM6/22/16
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 13:25:11 -0700 (PDT), buddy...@gmail.com wrote:

>I'm trying to change a cartridge in a Moen bathroom faucet (2 handled chateau style, see picture below). the problem is that I cannot even remove the top cap to remove the handle. they say use a screwdriver or sharp instrument. It doesn't work. I keep scratching the cap. And suggestions?
>
>https://www.amazon.com/Moen-4920-Chateau-Two-Handle-Bathroom/dp/B000TFD6C0

Yeah. Break the cap and have Moen send you another set for free. Or
buy them, easy peesie.

I hate those cheap acrylic caps.

Micky

Jun 22, 2016, 3:12:27 PM6/22/16
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 18:14:49 -0400, Dan Espen <des...@verizon.net>
wrote:
It does say a flat-headed screwdriver. That's ridiculous. Even the
smallest are thicker than a knife edge.

And the drawings in 4a and 5a don't match the words.

Frank

Jun 22, 2016, 3:31:26 PM6/22/16
I bought one that cracked on a fixture.
Once bought a part from Moen and probably paid 4X for what I could get
on Amazon. Same for replacement cartridges.

Dan Espen

Jun 22, 2016, 4:22:37 PM6/22/16
Why would you pry with a knife? Seems like a good way to ruin a knife.
They claim a screwdriver would work so they must think there
is enough there that a screw driver would get purchase.
Using something thinner is probably okay.

Mainly what the page shows is that the way in is through that cap
and the cap is not screwed in, it just pops out.
I'm well aware that it's not always that easy.

> And the drawings in 4a and 5a don't match the words.

I don't see the problem, but who cares.

--
Dan Espen

Micky

Jun 23, 2016, 5:28:15 PM6/23/16
On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 16:22:33 -0400, Dan Espen <des...@verizon.net>
wrote:

>Micky <NONONObobb...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 18:14:49 -0400, Dan Espen <des...@verizon.net>
>> wrote:

>>>Try here:
>>>
>>>http://www.moen.com/customer-support/installation-help/tutorial?id=moen0132
>>>
>>>Looks to me like the cap should pry off.
>>
>> It does say a flat-headed screwdriver. That's ridiculous. Even the
>> smallest are thicker than a knife edge.
>
>Why would you pry with a knife? Seems like a good way to ruin a knife.

I have a knife that I use as a tool, and for just this sort of thing.
I've never ruined it. Knives have a sharpened edge.

>They claim a screwdriver would work so they must think there
>is enough there that a screw driver would get purchase.
>Using something thinner is probably okay.
>
>Mainly what the page shows is that the way in is through that cap
>and the cap is not screwed in, it just pops out.
>I'm well aware that it's not always that easy.
>
>> And the drawings in 4a and 5a don't match the words.
>
>I don't see the problem, but who cares.

Someone who pays more attention to the picture than the words and
soneone who doens't speak English.

Karl Anderson

May 3, 2017, 2:14:09 PM5/3/17
replying to buddygenki, Karl Anderson wrote:
I feel your pain! I am also trying to replace a Moen cartridge and there is
absolutely no gap for a person to insert an object to pry out the cap! This
is ridiculous!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/unable-to-remove-moen-faucet-cap-894124-.htm

Frank

May 3, 2017, 3:22:51 PM5/3/17
On 5/3/2017 2:14 PM, Karl Anderson wrote:
> replying to buddygenki, Karl Anderson wrote:
> I feel your pain! I am also trying to replace a Moen cartridge and
> there is
> absolutely no gap for a person to insert an object to pry out the cap!
> This
> is ridiculous!

The caps can take some fiddling with. For the cartridges you can buy a
puller. Few years ago I hired a plumber when 3 small jobs needed doing.
One was the ~40 year old cartridge to be pulled from Moen in shower.
Year before I had pulled one of similar age from the bathtub and luckily
did not break anything using locking pliers and a hammer.

Oren

May 3, 2017, 3:23:08 PM5/3/17
On Wed, 03 May 2017 18:14:05 GMT, Karl Anderson
<caedfaa9ed1216d60ef...@example.com> wrote:

>replying to buddygenki, Karl Anderson wrote:
>I feel your pain! I am also trying to replace a Moen cartridge and there is
>absolutely no gap for a person to insert an object to pry out the cap! This
>is ridiculous!

You have to hold your mouth right when you use a utility knife, tip of
the razor blade.

Thomas

May 3, 2017, 6:43:01 PM5/3/17
I heard oren was good at that. Moron.

Knitz

Jan 28, 2020, 4:44:06 PM1/28/20
replying to buddygenki, Knitz wrote:
Tiny sewing machine screwdriver worked for me. One of the caps came off by
itself, and I can’t find it.