OT: MSM's Reputation-Smearing By Geography

Wade Garrett

Oct 14, 2021, 12:52:25 PM10/14/21
The mainstream media in my area has a new outrageous tactic:
reputation-smearing by geography. Here's how it works:

A local miscreant commits some crime or heinous act in easily identified
and well known location "A". Does the press report where it happened? No!

They say the crime occured "NEAR XYZ Mall, NEAR XYZ arena, NEAR XYX
night club, etc., when those business were in fact many blocks away and
neither the criminal nor the victim was in any way involved with those
business-- not having come from them or heading toward them. And the
local business suffers bad publicity/tarnished image because the
implication is it's unsafe to go there.

Snag

Oct 14, 2021, 1:00:33 PM10/14/21
Do you by any chance live in a place that votes predominantly
Republican ?
--
Snag
Let's Go Brandon !

Marilyn Manson

Oct 14, 2021, 2:49:49 PM10/14/21
If the media reports inaccurate locations as often as you imply, how are you finding
out where the crimes actually occurred? Where are you getting the details related to
the perp, the victim, where they came from and/or where they were headed?

(I'm just curious, that's all, not doubting you)

Wade Garrett

Oct 14, 2021, 5:02:24 PM10/14/21
The reports aren't inaccurate, just slanted.

Often the body of the story contains the address where the crime was
committed-- but the headline and lead into it mentions that the location
is near some big business a few block a way.

The body of the story often mentions that the victim was driving down
the street or taking the bus home from work-- clearly with no connection
to the business.

And for perp details, they mention everything they know about "them"
except "their" sex and race so "be on the lookout for a five foot 9
person with brown hair wearing a red top and blue pants."

Ed Pawlowski

Oct 14, 2021, 5:42:51 PM10/14/21
I see it as more than location. If they said Main Street 4th 4th Avenue
it does not register the same as saying there was a shooting a few
blocks from Apple Mall. When a shooting is mentioned near a Mall or
other known place people may tend to avoid it.
Psychological affect.

Marilyn Manson

Oct 14, 2021, 6:02:47 PM10/14/21
On Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 5:02:24 PM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
> On 10/14/21 2:49 PM, Marilyn Manson wrote:
> > On Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 12:52:25 PM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
> >> The mainstream media in my area has a new outrageous tactic:
> >> reputation-smearing by geography. Here's how it works:
> >>
> >> A local miscreant commits some crime or heinous act in easily identified
> >> and well known location "A". Does the press report where it happened? No!
> >>
> >> They say the crime occured "NEAR XYZ Mall, NEAR XYZ arena, NEAR XYX
> >> night club, etc., when those business were in fact many blocks away and
> >> neither the criminal nor the victim was in any way involved with those
> >> business-- not having come from them or heading toward them. And the
> >> local business suffers bad publicity/tarnished image because the
> >> implication is it's unsafe to go there.
> >
> > If the media reports inaccurate locations as often as you imply, how are you finding
> > out where the crimes actually occurred? Where are you getting the details related to
> > the perp, the victim, where they came from and/or where they were headed?
> >
> > (I'm just curious, that's all, not doubting you)
> >
> The reports aren't inaccurate, just slanted.
>
> Often the body of the story contains the address where the crime was
> committed-- but the headline and lead into it mentions that the location
> is near some big business a few block a way.
>
> The body of the story often mentions that the victim was driving down
> the street or taking the bus home from work-- clearly with no connection
> to the business.

Clearly no connection or no clear connection?

There's a not-so-subtle difference between those wordings. ;-)

Wade Garrett

Oct 14, 2021, 6:33:26 PM10/14/21
Consider finding a new hobby to keep your hands busy and your mind
occupied...or maybe just up your OCD meds ;-)

--
I squint at the sun because it's bright- and at some people because they
are not.

Wade Garrett

Oct 14, 2021, 6:42:57 PM10/14/21
Glad somebody's got their thinking cap on :-)

--
I’m so old I can remember when other people's achievements were
considered to be an inspiration rather than a grievance.

rbowman

Oct 14, 2021, 8:37:26 PM10/14/21
It works. I read about a shooting near south side Chicago 25 years ago
and haven't went there since.

gfre...@aol.com

Oct 14, 2021, 10:23:53 PM10/14/21
The NBC news here has weather radar that lays down over a google image
so they can show you if it is raining up the street from your house
and they use that same graphic medium for crime reports. They zoom a
google earth picture right down to the crime scene so if you are
familiar with the area at all you know right where it happened. As
often as not they have a boom truck there live broadcasting if it is
still an active crime scene. The news is on here 9 1/2 hours a day on
the NBC affiliate so they have lots of time to fill. It is really only
interrupted by the morning "Today" shows, the soaps, Dr Oz and the
prime time lineups along with Fallon and Myers after the 11PM news.

Peeler

Oct 15, 2021, 5:14:59 AM10/15/21
On Thu, 14 Oct 2021 18:37:22 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> It works. I read about a shooting near south side Chicago 25 years ago
> and haven't went there since.

Your blathering mouth never fails you, eh, blabbermouth? <BG>

micky

Oct 15, 2021, 9:56:18 PM10/15/21
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 14 Oct 2021 17:02:16 -0400, Wade Garrett
I've noticed that part too.

Related, when I lived in NY in the 70's and 80's, the news, I think it
was radio, would often say the perp lived or the arrest was in
Bedford-Stuyvesant, even when it was several blocks away. Someone else
on the radio pointed this out and I confirmed it once or twice. The
southern border of the n'hood I thought at the time and google maps and
wkip agree is Atlantic Avenue, and the cases I saw were 5 block south of
that.

trader_4

Oct 17, 2021, 12:13:34 PM10/17/21
Sounds right to me. Like in NYC, if they just gave the street address in the
Bronx, most people not in that immediate area have no feel for where that is.
So they say it's near Yankee Stadium and a lot more people know the area
where it happened. It's nothing new.